Our Golden Era 1977-1987

St.Ricky

48 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

Yep. I didn't take my kids as it was likely to be crowded.  I recall the crush to get in as the whole body of fans involved struggled to reach a turnstile. 

I’m always disappointed watching the grainy old YouTube footage of that game. I was behind the goal in the East terracing and the footage seems to show more Celtic fans in there than buddies. I really don’t remember it that way at all. I don’t remember being surrounded by *****. When Dougie nets the penalty rebound I’m sure I remember the full big swell thing. Maybe time has distorted my memory.

4 hours ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

As a younger fan who wasn't alive back then, how high does the Anglo-Scottish Cup rank in terms of achievement? Was it akin to that of winning the Scottish Challenge Cup, or was it more up there with the Scottish Cup successes?

I remember as a fully qualified member of the Northbank  heading down to boundary park with a squad of buds for the Oldham Semi Final in 1978. We got feck knows how many trains and once we left Scotland everyone thought we were Chorley fans. After the game, at one of the railways stations, we got caught in the middle of a Barney between opposing sets of English fans. Bury were playing Walsall and feck knows who they thought we were but we had to hide in a station waiting room and barricade the door until the transport Police rescued us.  All part of the scene for a 70's football fan. I think we slept that night in Preston Station before heading back next day. 1-1 at Oldham wasn't a bad result though. Billy Stark scored again at Love Street but sadly that wasn't enough.  Fun Times

17 hours ago, East Lothian Saint said:

I remember as a fully qualified member of the Northbank  heading down to boundary park with a squad of buds for the Oldham Semi Final in 1978. We got feck knows how many trains and once we left Scotland everyone thought we were Chorley fans. After the game, at one of the railways stations, we got caught in the middle of a Barney between opposing sets of English fans. Bury were playing Walsall and feck knows who they thought we were but we had to hide in a station waiting room and barricade the door until the transport Police rescued us.  All part of the scene for a 70's football fan. I think we slept that night in Preston Station before heading back next day. 1-1 at Oldham wasn't a bad result though. Billy Stark scored again at Love Street but sadly that wasn't enough.  Fun Times

From sleeping in station waiting rooms to hotels. From hooliganism to W7. Progress.

On 9/23/2018 at 5:06 PM, Dibbles old paperboy said:

... and so many new managers too! Fergie - sacked. Clunie - sacked. McFarlane - resigned. Miller- poached. Smith - sacked.

We played our most consistently high level football under Jim Clunie but enjoyed the football played by Ricky McFarlane and Alex Ferguson. 

11 minutes ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

Last weeks feel good factor didn't last long so let's reminisce !

What will it be this Saturday evening, top 6 here we come or great Anglo Scottish cup runs of the 80s ?

Depends what Thread you are viewing.

This one should have many more good memories come Saturday, 

The ASC was fantastic.

No Top 6 discussion in here unless it is during the particular era we are talking about.

Add some memories , if you wish.

2 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

Oh Ricky stop starting threads about good times and great memories. The animals want to sack everyone blame players and hate the OF. Tut tut :whistle

Guilty as charged. Just a born optimist with a dash of pragmatism. Enables me to move smoothly from Disaster to Triumph

27 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

Guilty as charged. Just a born optimist with a dash of pragmatism. Enables me to move smoothly from Disaster to Triumph

Seriously hoping we get a 2018.- 2028 thread ...... you never know. PS Those 10 years is reason we all have hopes and also total frustrations ....My fav was the 4-1 win over Gers at Love street

On 9/23/2018 at 6:45 PM, St.Ricky said:

image001.jpg

Look at the players in that photo and compare to todays squad !. How many do you think they would take off todays team. Even if there were only the 7 on display (Alan Logan sneaking in ?) playing, I reckon they would still win with no keeper !

Edited by lenziebud

30 minutes ago, lenziebud said:

Whats wrong with hating the OF. Every right minded football fan does that !. 

Can't agree.  I very strongly dislike the sectarianism that surrounds them though.  I dislike that this was used to build two large supports which have been polarised around this issue.  I don't like that this led to them having financial advantage and through this dominating Scottish Football. I don't like the political and sectarian songs that have been sung.  I don't hate them though,  nor their fans.  I do see small elements of progress at their home games in particular away from those from the past into more modern adaptations of tunes.  Enough?  Not yet but it's a start. 

45 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

Can't agree.  I very strongly dislike the sectarianism that surrounds them though.  I dislike that this was used to build two large supports which have been polarised around this issue.  I don't like that this led to them having financial advantage and through this dominating Scottish Football. I don't like the political and sectarian songs that have been sung.  I don't hate them though,  nor their fans.  I do see small elements of progress at their home games in particular away from those from the past into more modern adaptations of tunes.  Enough?  Not yet but it's a start. 

Didn't include their fans, maybe 5% of them are ok. Not the one's on Monday morning asking "How did your team get on at the weekend"

23 minutes ago, lenziebud said:

Didn't include their fans, maybe 5% of them are ok. Not the one's on Monday morning asking "How did your team get on at the weekend"

LB. Taking a ribbing isn't fun.  Never has been.  I tend to send a congratulatory text or one of commissirations to friends who support other teams and you know what,  I get the same from them.  This season I have started going to the local pub for a Diet Coke and to watch the odd televised Scottish game.  The folks know that  I support Saints and treat me well... Even after our recent draw with Celtic.  They probably wouldn't go asking me to their house and I would be the same with them but they are good company whilst still being passionate about their respective teams. 

Edited by St.Ricky

17 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

LB. Taking a ribbing isn't fun.  Never has been.  I tend to send a congratulatory text or one of commissirations to friends who support other teams and you know what,  I get the same from them.  This season I have started going to the local pub for a Diet Coke and to watch the odd televised Scottish game.  The folks know that  I support Saints and treat me well... Even after our recent draw with Celtic.  They probably wouldn't go asking me to their house and I would be the same with them but they are good company whilst still being passionate about their respective teams. 

"How did your team get on at the weekend"  means they don't know because they have no interest, even when they know who you support and they ask the same question every Monday. they have no interest in clubs like St Mirren and lower levels of the game.

Edited by lenziebud

Speaking of the Anglo-Scottish Cup, the very first tie we played against an English team, was arguably the best of the lot.

Having drawn the first leg 1-1 at Craven Cottage, this happened in the second leg. For those that weren't there, check out how the scoring went...

http://www.stmirrenprogrammes.co.uk/StMirren/STM_Match_Details.php?Season=1977&GameID=197709260

3 minutes ago, lenziebud said:

"How did your team get on at the weekend"  means they don't know because they have no interest, even when they know who you support and they ask the same question every Monday. they have no interest in clubs like St Mirren and lower levels of the game.

I don't watch Sportscene last season as we weren't playing the teams that feature on it.  I do this season.  I didn't watch games on Sky or BT as they didn't show teams that we were going to face.  I do go and watch some of these this season as they feature Scottish Teams that we will play.  I don't watch Foreign games on TV as again,  we won't be meeting these and I have little or no interest in these matches. I guess we are all selective to varying)  degrees. 

3 hours ago, bigjerseybuddie said:

5-0 Scottish cup win at Broomfield..... the singing at that game will live with me for ever..........

My memory of that game was watching Saints fans climbing over the wall to get into the stadium.

Then, realising that the police were standing there waiting for them, climbing straight back out of the stadium again. :lol:

2 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

I don't watch Sportscene last season as we weren't playing the teams that feature on it.  I do this season.  I didn't watch games on Sky or BT as they didn't show teams that we were going to face.  I do go and watch some of these this season as they feature Scottish Teams that we will play.  I don't watch Foreign games on TV as again,  we won't be meeting these and I have little or no interest in these matches. I guess we are all selective to varying)  degrees. 

Yes but you will know most of the Premiership results at the weekend and take an interest in the Championship and lower levels too. They couldn't care less. Most non OF supporters, support and follow the game, OF fans only interested in themselves and bettering the other