Our Golden Era 1977-1987

St.Ricky

Just now, lenziebud said:

Yes but you will know most of the Premiership results at the weekend and take an interest in the Championship and lower levels too. They couldn't care less. Most non OF supporters, support and follow the game, OF fans only interested in themselves and bettering the other

I am ashamed to say. that I now hardly glance at the Championship Scores.  Even less, those from the lower leagues.  Staying in Stirling,  I know they are not having the best of seasons but could tell you no more than that.  I feel a bit guilty that I don't go to games there as they have been my local team since 1993. I take your point though.  They can be  more than a bit obsessed with what the other half are doing to the exclusion of others. 

18 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Speaking of the Anglo-Scottish Cup, the very first tie we played against an English team, was arguably the best of the lot.

Having drawn the first leg 1-1 at Craven Cottage, this happened in the second leg. For those that weren't there, check out how the scoring went...

http://www.stmirrenprogrammes.co.uk/StMirren/STM_Match_Details.php?Season=1977&GameID=197709260

Would be great to see some footage from that game.  

3 hours ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Speaking of the Anglo-Scottish Cup, the very first tie we played against an English team, was arguably the best of the lot.

Having drawn the first leg 1-1 at Craven Cottage, this happened in the second leg. For those that weren't there, check out how the scoring went...

http://www.stmirrenprogrammes.co.uk/StMirren/STM_Match_Details.php?Season=1977&GameID=197709260

I was at that game , Fulham wanted us to pay George Best,s wages , a really wet night and a great atmosphere in the North Bank  , Remember coming up Love Street singing after the game , and the noisy echo coming under the railway bridge , Ally McLeod was watching the game and its roof took some battering as at drove up Love Street

On ‎9‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 9:05 PM, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

It does beg the question (which I’ve never though about before), but what was the qualification rationale for the Anglo Scottish Cup?

In Scotland it was often the Premier League teams who had just missed out on the European slots, but even then I’m sure we played Stirling Albion one year in the Scottish rounds. England was also bizarre. You could have anything from (old) first division teams to third division teams. Was it just anybody that fancied it?

When we beat Bolton weren’t they in the top league at the time and doing reasonably well?

I think In Scotland teams had to play a tie to qualify to the phase where they played an English team , maybe the four teams promoted played the four top teams in the Premier League that didn,t qualify for Europe , In England it was something similar , but a few top league teams in England knocked it back , when we knocked out Bolton and Bristol they were good midtable teams .

So glad I lived through that period in the club's history magical times. Traveling to France , Belgium, Holland with the black & White Army. Genes down south also. Getting results against the old firm good cup runs. Just missing out to wining the league. No forum these days Faraway Saint would not go to games but would fill the St Mirren fanzine with well shit :P

18 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

So glad I lived through that period in the club's history magical times. Traveling to France , Belgium, Holland with the black & White Army. Genes down south also. Getting results against the old firm good cup runs. Just missing out to wining the league. No forum these days Faraway Saint would not go to games but would fill the St Mirren fanzine with well shit :P

@Bud the Baker was born in Cambridgeshire, he also has genes from down south.

6 minutes ago, MenstrieSaint said:

I was at that game , Fulham wanted us to pay George Best,s wages , a really wet night and a great atmosphere in the North Bank  , Remember coming up Love Street singing after the game , and the noisy echo coming under the railway bridge , Ally McLeod was watching the game and its roof took some battering as at drove up Love Street

Yeah, what a game that was. 41 years ago FFS. That St Mirren picked itself in those days. Doubt we had a squad of 28 :P

24 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Shit - are you Dead !!!

26 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

I remember you from those days, you invented the "Nice but Dim" character. :lol:

That was before the internet where you could prove you were dim. :byebye

17 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

Yeah, what a game that was. 41 years ago FFS. That St Mirren picked itself in those days. Doubt we had a squad of 28 :P

If we were to have a squad of 28 that covered that era , what would it look like  ,   for me it would be along the lines of 

Money , Thompson , Wilson , Clarke , Munro , Reid , Copland , Cooper , Fulton , Godfrey , McCormack , Abercrombie , Fitzpatrick , Richardson , Stark ,Ferguson , Lambert , Weir , Scanlon , McAvennie , Bone , McGarvey , Somner , McDougall , ( thats 24 players , we wouldn,t need anymore and would romp the league with that squad )

I know I was lifted over the turnstiles for the famous Hugh Gilshan game in Nov 69 but don't remember much about it.

I started going with mates during the 76/77 season and have supported the team in my own special way ever since. I have seen 21 managers depart (not counting caretakers) and hope to see a good few more run out of town with a baying mob behind them.

pitchfork-mob.jpeg

48 minutes ago, MenstrieSaint said:

If we were to have a squad of 28 that covered that era , what would it look like  ,   for me it would be along the lines of 

Money , Thompson , Wilson , Clarke , Munro , Reid , Copland , Cooper , Fulton , Godfrey , McCormack , Abercrombie , Fitzpatrick , Richardson , Stark ,Ferguson , Lambert , Weir , Scanlon , McAvennie , Bone , McGarvey , Somner , McDougall , ( thats 24 players , we wouldn,t need anymore and would romp the league with that squad )

I would settle for this squad anytime. 

1 hour ago, faraway saint said:

I remember you from those days, you invented the "Nice but Dim" character. :lol:

That was before the internet where you could prove you were dim. :byebye

And you dear sir are the original incarnation of Dumb  Dumber and Dumbest person on the Forum. 

No contest.  The title is yours.  Why any of us bother to reply to you,  I just don't know.

Pity perhaps... Or merely that we humour you.. 

3 hours ago, DougJamie said:

Shit - are you Dead !!!

When I watch how far we have fallen yes you are right. The club has shrunk quicker than your  willie would shrink going into the north sea for a swim.  However I have experienced St Mirren up amongst the top teams.  Will you ever :spud3

1 hour ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

When I watch how far we have fallen yes you are right. The club has shrunk quicker than your  willie would shrink going into the north sea for a swim.  However I have experienced St Mirren up amongst the top teams.  Will you ever :spud3

Well as you brought my willie into this convo i can only say i have seen some big performances some massive goals and yes in the 80s it peaked. Its all about memories now and false dawns. :whistle