Firsts

Responding to post of Shull’s on other thread got me thinking. About all my “firsts”. 

First Home Cup game - St. Mirren 4 Dundee Utd 1  - 29/1/77 (also my first game ever barring a handful of old Div 2 games I don’t really remember.

First Away Cup game - Motherwell 2 St. Mirren 1 - 25/2/77

First Home League game - St. Mirren 3 Dundee 1 - 5/2/77

First Away League game - Hamilton Accies 0 St. Mirren 1 - 19/3/77

First National Cup Semi Final - St. Mirren 1 Aberdeen 1 - 3/4/82

Firtst National Cup Final - St. Mirren 1 Dundee Utd 0 - 16/5/87

First Victory witnessed over Celtic - Celtic 1 St. Mirren 2 -15/10/77

First victory witness over Rangers - Rangers 0 St. Mirren 1 - 12/8/78

First Renfrewshire Derby - St. Mirren 5 Morton 2 - 8/5/77

What were your firsts? This link will help if the old memory banks aren’t quite what they were...

http://www.stmirrenprogrammes.co.uk/

4 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Responding to post of Shull’s on other thread got me thinking. About all my “firsts”. 

First Home Cup game - St. Mirren 4 Dundee Utd 1  - 29/1/77 (also my first game ever barring a handful of old Div 2 games I don’t really remember.

First Away Cup game - Motherwell 2 St. Mirren 1 - 25/2/77

First Home League game - St. Mirren 3 Dundee 1 - 5/2/77

First Away League game - Hamilton Accies 0 St. Mirren 1 - 19/3/77

First National Cup Semi Final - St. Mirren 1 Aberdeen 1 - 3/4/82

First victory witness over Rangers - Rangers 0 St. Mirren 1 - 12/8/78

First Renfrewshire Derby - St. Mirren 5 Morton 2 - 8/5/77

What were your firsts? This link will help if the old memory banks aren’t quite what they were...

http://www.stmirrenprogrammes.co.uk/

What a memory u have. As discussed like you Utd was my first game.   My first Saints trophy was anglo scottish in 79. First blown away was 1-1 draw with Liverpool. First with my son against Pars in 2000. He was 4. 

Ha Ha. Like I said Doogie. The link assists the memory. For example I’d have sworn my first away league game was at Airdrie, but the website confirmed that Hamilton actually came first.

ETA

I was talking bollocks above. The Hamilton away game I was thinking of was actually a League cup tie at the start of the following season which we won 2-0. So In fact my first League away game actually was Airdrie 2 St. Mirren 2 - 23/4/77

Edited by TPAFKA Jersey 2

Just now, St.Ricky said:

Liverpool Was The first game I went to Love Street where a ground that held 27.000 at that time was bursting at the seams with 17,000 people!  Similar arithmetic later applied to a number of games.  Of course that COULDNT happen now with computerised ticketing.  

Agreed they claimed 17000 but ground was totally rammed that night... i am sure it was nearer 20000

I’m sure I’ve had this discussion on here before.

Our record attendance was 43000 in whatever year it was. However until the East terracing was redeveloped in 79/80, surely it was exactly the same ground that held 43000. So how could the ground be bursting at the seams with only 20000 in it? The 3-3 Rangers game in 77 is listed as 24000. On that basis there should’ve been room in the ground for almost double the crowd that was there. It’s absolutely mental.

First Home Cup game - St. Mirren 1  Airdrie 3  - 24/2/69

First Away Cup game - Dumbarton 0  St. Mirren 1 - 25/1/69

First Home League game - St. Mirren 1  Arbroath 1 - 17/4/68

First Away League game - Arbroath 1 St Mirren 1 - 14/9/68

First National Cup Semi Final - St. Mirren 0  Celtic  3  - 6/10/71

First victory witness over Rangers - St Mirren 1 Rangers 0  - 16/11/68

First Renfrewshire Derby    St Mirren  2 Morton 1  -  19/10/68

25 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

I’m sure I’ve had this discussion on here before.

Our record attendance was 43000 in whatever year it was. However until the East terracing was redeveloped in 79/80, surely it was exactly the same ground that held 43000. So how could the ground be bursting at the seams with only 20000 in it? The 3-3 Rangers game in 77 is listed as 24000. On that basis there should’ve been room in the ground for almost double the crowd that was there. It’s absolutely mental.

I've been in the ground when the att. was 42,653 and I have no recollection of there being a crush. On the other hand , I was in attendance at the Celtic cup-tie in 1980 , the att. given as just over 27k , and at one point I  was pretty scared as there was just no room to move. I'm pretty sure you could comfortably add another 10k onto that attendance and be much closer to the true figure !

33 minutes ago, billyg said:

I've been in the ground when the att. was 42,653 and I have no recollection of there being a crush. On the other hand , I was in attendance at the Celtic cup-tie in 1980 , the att. given as just over 27k , and at one point I  was pretty scared as there was just no room to move. I'm pretty sure you could comfortably add another 10k onto that attendance and be much closer to the true figure !

Huge crowd. I agree that you could add 10k or possibly more that day but you are better placed to judge having experienced a nearly 43k crowd there. Thrilling but very edgy experience.

I think i was at Love Street for a cup replay against Celtic, a Wednesday night I think but attendance was given as 44,000

Celtic won 4-1 if I recall ?

7 minutes ago, whydowebother said:

I think i was at Love Street for a cup replay against Celtic, a Wednesday night I think but attendance was given as 44,000

Celtic won 4-1 if I recall ?

I was at Fir park v Gretna with 460 at it. Does that count. Think it was lowest ever attendance in top flight game

19 minutes ago, linwood buddie said:
39 minutes ago, East Lothian Saint said:

First game at Love street was a charity match between the Polis and the Clergy. My mum took me. She was in the church committee and dragged along half the Waynes in the street. 2-2 draw.

What team were the dirtiest?

The Polis  :P

From looking at the fixtures, the first game I would have been at was Killie just before Christmas 1979, but it was postponed, I was devastated! First game I can definitely remember being at was a 3-1 win against Brechin in the cup. Its funny but until I looked at the fixtures I was convinced I'd been to games earlier than that. 

1 hour ago, DougJamie said:

I was at Fir park v Gretna with 460 at it. Does that count. Think it was lowest ever attendance in top flight game

It had 0-0 written all over it.Half the Buds there left at HT for the Fir Park Club.I was driving so forced to stay to the end.:(

2 hours ago, DougJamie said:

Aattendance was 751

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/gretna-0-0-st-mirren-973728

Edited by Eric Arthur Blair

9 hours ago, Eric Arthur Blair said:

The game was that bad, I started counting. It was Radio Clyde that annonced at the time it was the lowest..................

Glad to be  proven wrong

I really miss Gretna, I wish they were still in the Premiership- we might stay up :huh: