Revenue Earning Investment by St Mirren

8 hours ago, St.Ricky said:

Here is the scenario.  GLS is taking a sabattical and gives you his proxy vote to use in his absence.  What would you invest in and why to raise additional revenue? 

How much money are you giving us?

I would build a fund by heavily investing in stocks and shares, re-investing dividends and capital gains.

That's how Norway did it.

Edited by oaksoft

1 hour ago, St.Ricky said:

Keeping it realistic 500K but you can raise further funding. 

OK I would put a minimum £100k per year into an investment scheme of stocks and shares for the club with all profits re-invested.

That £100k per year investment would be increased as finances allowed.

It would be a 10 to 20 year financial plan to eventually allow us to compete financially with the best in the country.

Edited by oaksoft

OK I would put a minimum £100k per year into an investment scheme of stocks and shares for the club with all profits re-invested.
It would be a 10 to 20 year financial plan to eventually allow us to compete financially with the best in the country.

Good shout. Something I actually advocate as well.

The McGinn cash would be the starting point and with £100k per annum I would actually look at a 30 year plan. Let’s forget this generation and let the future generation enjoy it.

I’d make sure that the money was ringfenced...... [emoji6]

Fool proof. Give Oaky the keys now.

42 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

I love that quaint old term Oaky “investing in Stocks and shares”. It’s so old fashioned. My job is lending money to private equity and real estate funds. These alternative investment funds which are relatively high risk may (just may) return the sort of upside you refer to. A bog standard investment in a “stocks and shares” investment scheme would not yield anything like the sort of return over the 10/20 year timescale you describe unless it was either an extremely aggressive high risk scheme and you got lucky, or there was a significantly positive market event.

You are of course right that such an investment (barring disaster) should result in a better return than sticking your wedge in the bank, but you certainly wouldn’t be making sufficient a return to compete at the level you suggest.

I love that quaint old term Oaky “investing in Stocks and shares”. It’s so old fashioned. My job is lending money to private equity and real estate funds. These alternative investment funds which are relatively high risk may (just may) return the sort of upside you refer to. A bog standard investment in a “stocks and shares” investment scheme would not yield anything like the sort of return over the 10/20 year timescale you describe unless it was either an extremely aggressive high risk scheme and you got lucky, or there was a significantly positive market event.
You are of course right that such an investment (barring disaster) should result in a better return than sticking your wedge in the bank, but you certainly wouldn’t be making sufficient a return to compete at the level you suggest.
So the rest of the ideas are better than Oaky's then?

8 minutes ago, Hambud said:
11 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

So the rest of the ideas are better than Oaky's then?

Ha ha. No, I reckon Oaky’s is still the best idea. I just don’t think it will make the returns he suggests. We’d definitely end up with more money than we started with though!

16 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Don't be too quick to slam dunk me that you casually dismissive this idea. :D

If you stick £100k every year into a ring fenced account with 0% interest you would still have £2million in the bank after 20 years.

I would need to figure out how to calculate what would we have with a modest 5% return and compound interest taken into account but I would estimate it would be many times that amount. I will figure out a formula tomorrow and come back. You may have that formula though so let's hear it.

Does anyone have a better idea for how to raise anywhere near that sort of sum?

This idea is innovative and exactly the sort of thing the club should be considering IMO.

Edited by oaksoft

6 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Ha ha. No, I reckon Oaky’s is still the best idea. I just don’t think it will make the returns he suggests. We’d definitely end up with more money than we started with though!

Just spotted this after my last post.

This is clearly your area of expertise. How big would the pot be likely to be in year 20? You'll save me a bit of time tomorrow if you already have the formula.

Edited by oaksoft

Quick calculation tells me that putting away 200k every year at a modest (for stocks investment) 5% interest would have us at £10 million gross after 20 years but this is not my area of expertise. That would put us in a pretty healthy position IMO compared to everyone bar Celtic and Rangers.

So, a wee bit more than the £100k but still well within the £500k Ricky generously gave me.