St. Mirren v The Rangers, 3rd November 2018

24 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:

Yeah, I said anyone in the stand can access the W7 area.
Agree re the stewarding. Do we still allow Celtic to bring their own stewards?

You are advising all, some, or the organising group to take out insurance? Hoping I'm misreading that bit.

There is no strict liability in football grounds in Scotland at present regarding any potential criminal behaviour on the part of an individual or group, so no one has to take out any insurance. 

8 hours ago, faraway saint said:

I'll "chip in" £20 to the "Get Rid of Ricky" fund, how's that? :lol:

I'll take you up on that... here's the deal. 

Raise 1000 for a charity of my choice which woukd be money pledged to a friend running a marathon in aid of a charity which works to prevent suicides in young people. Raise that and I will never be on here again. 

The forum is Enjoyable, sometimes fierce, sometimes informative But its not essential to my existence.

Edited by St.Ricky

57 minutes ago, branniganm said:

There is no strict liability in football grounds in Scotland at present regarding any potential criminal behaviour on the part of an individual or group, so no one has to take out any insurance. 

I might be wrong but I took it that he was suggesting that,  in the absence of strict liability then any redress would be sought directly from an individual involved for any damage,  distress or damage to reputation caused. As an example some people take out insurance for playing golf to cover any liability they might invite. Not common but it doeshapoen.  

8 hours ago, Doakes said:

On what grounds would you say it's a failed experiment?

If the ambition was purely to make money - maybe

If the ambition was to create a vocal, colourful section of the home support to improve atmosphere - not failed in the slightest

Coin incident aside, the noise was great throughout 

It was only ever done for financial reasons.

Guest TPAFKATS
I know there's no liability on clubs, trying to work out why you suggested the insurance?

I don't think it was a coin thrown on the park , looked more like a crunched up paper bag , probably thrown by some at the front making their way out the ground . That said the guy who done it has really let the club down . Will be interesting to find out what the actual CCTV picks up , and if they can identify the flying object . On the TV clip you see an object hitting Morelos,s thigh and bouncing off , in the sun's photo there are two objects . I may be wrong as the footage isn't great , but look forward to finding out what was thrown.

18 hours ago, billyg said:

What you creaming yourself about you brain-dead f**kin' arsehole. I wouldn't lower myself to attend such games , haven't seen the Rangers in the flesh for over 30 Years.

It's clear from your post that you did go in the past. Why criticise others for doing the same as you did?

I abhor sectarianism but refuse to have my normal life and enjoyment ruined by it so I choose to go and voice my support for my team. For me, not going would be giving in to mob rule and letting these teams feel special as their song says "no one likes us-we don't care". No thanks. Not for me.

I am not alone. There were 3,000 Saint's fans there on Saturday. It seems that they were all wrong in your opinion to attend the game. That's 3/4 of our normal Saint's fans who normally attend games.

They clearly had every right to decide to go But, I respect the right of the each to make their own decision.

I DON'T like giving over the Family Stand to the away support.

I DON'T like the fact that the stewarding and police tactics differ from Normal.

I DON'T like the fact that the Offensive Behaviour at football matches was repealed, rather than improved.

I DON'T like the increase in the child gate price for these games.

I DO wish that the European Rules on Strict Liability were in force and that clubs were held directly accountable for the actions of fans within the environs of the stadium despite obvious difficulties in implimentation.

For me, this is the way forward. I hope then that those stay away fans could feel comfortable in coming back to the stadium to support their team comfortable that there would be no offensive sectarian behaviour and that younger fans in particular didn't have to listen to the bile and could feel safe. Meanwhile their behaviour provides a template not to adopt when supporting your team.

I respect your right to hold and express your views and invite you to do the same with myself and the 3000 others who chose to attend.

Edited by St.Ricky

18 hours ago, TPAFKATS said:

Depends what you trusted them to do?
Did you donate cash trusting that they would spend it on flags, banners etc to put on displays of support for the team?
I'd say they've fulfilled their end of any trust agreement.
You can't hold the guys who organise that section responsible for the behaviour of one individual who was standing in that area.

I'm not. Quite the opposite.  I've said it's likely their position might be suspect until this is cleared up. In order to remove this concern I suggested that as they sit in that area they are better placed than those of us who don't to be able to identify the culprit and make clear that they have nothing to do with them. Why that should have been interpreted as a threat escapes me.  I also mentioned that the group would be advised to shed an apparent victim mentality and learn to accept constructive criticism or suggestions without going off on rants against the club or fans who might disagree with them on e.g. the Ibrox Banner, The Police Visits, The Fans not Criminals banner and now quite uniquely complaining when someone (me) suggests they do a bit of digging and might perhaps be able to enhance their reputation by helping to find the coin thrower. I have no way of knowing if the culprit is or isn't a normal member of W7. I'm happy to hear that they believe that they are not. Again I say that ,as a regular attender at games both home and away, they have helped improve the match day experience for myself and our group. Doesn't make them perfect. 

1 hour ago, St.Ricky said:

I'm not. Quite the opposite.  I've said it's likely their position might be suspect until this is cleared up. In order to remove this concern I suggested that as they sit in that area they are better placed than those of us who don't to be able to identify the culprit and make clear that they have nothing to do with them. Why that should have been interpreted as a threat escapes me.  I also mentioned that the group would be advised to shed an apparent victim mentality and learn to accept constructive criticism or suggestions without going off on rants against the club or fans who might disagree with them on e.g. the Ibrox Banner, The Police Visits, The Fans not Criminals banner and now quite uniquely complaining when someone (me) suggests they do a bit of digging and might perhaps be able to enhance their reputation by helping to find the coin thrower. I have no way of knowing if the culprit is or isn't a normal member of W7. I'm happy to hear that they believe that they are not. Again I say that ,as a regular attender at games both home and away, they have helped improve the match day experience for myself and our group. Doesn't make them perfect. 

There’s only one person that’s keeping this going across multiple threads. If I knew who it was, believe me when I say that I wouldn’t be keeping quiet about it. They would be put on blast. They’ve made our club look bad.  That said - I don’t have the faintest clue who it was. There’s 300 odd people in that area of the stadium. At the time of the incident, there were arms flying everywhere, fingers pointing at Morelos. If no one admits it, (why would they? unless CCTV finds them) it’s going to be very difficult to find out who did it. 

I can understand asking the question once. Perhaps twice, if the answer wasn’t clear enough. 

As I said on the other thread, short of going round people at Dundee and finding the one that looks guilty, there’s no way of apprehending the culprit. I’m hoping the CCTV will clear that up for us. 

26 minutes ago, Doakes said:

There’s only one person that’s keeping this going across multiple threads. If I knew who it was, believe me when I say that I wouldn’t be keeping quiet about it. They would be put on blast. They’ve made our club look bad.  That said - I don’t have the faintest clue who it was. There’s 300 odd people in that area of the stadium. At the time of the incident, there were arms flying everywhere, fingers pointing at Morelos. If no one admits it, (why would they? unless CCTV finds them) it’s going to be very difficult to find out who did it. 

I can understand asking the question once. Perhaps twice, if the answer wasn’t clear enough. 

As I said on the other thread, short of going round people at Dundee and finding the one that looks guilty, there’s no way of apprehending the culprit. I’m hoping the CCTV will clear that up for us. 

Let it go, he cannot, and won't, let it die.

You are wasting your time, like talking to a revolving door. 

Anyway back on topic I was pleased to see Oran followed my advice by opting for youth, and getting the best out of a group of players that a large section of our support seem happy to abuse, but still class themselves as supporters. I.e. Calling them 'Stubbs Duds'..

that'll be Motm Ryan Edwards, young Alfie Jones and big Cooky. We need these young, strong fit and pacy players to win us time and space on the ball. I predict more than one of them showing their whingeing team mates and supporters the way at Dundee!

Just now, Lord Pityme said:

You know thats forty, fifty pence missiles right there? Think of the cash that could raise if he was paraded round the ground, by the Panda?

we could call it 'Ricochet it aff Ricky'  

As I don't attend home games I'll send the £20 in coins for someone to ricochet for me, prefer pound coins, a tad more weight. 

52 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

As I don't attend home games I'll send the £20 in coins for someone to ricochet for me, prefer pound coins, a tad more weight. 

You are funny FMan.  Not always in a good or intentional way but you do provide amusement. 

Spend the money on a ticket,  in fact the young gentleman might want to pay you into the Simple Digital Arena. 

Great płace,  great set of supporters and the young guys in W7 do a good job in leading the singing. 

Try it.. You might enjoy it.  I know that I do. 

2 hours ago, Lord Pityme said:

Anyway back on topic I was pleased to see Oran followed my advice by opting for youth, and getting the best out of a group of players that a large section of our support seem happy to abuse, but still class themselves as supporters. I.e. Calling them 'Stubbs Duds'..

that'll be Motm Ryan Edwards, young Alfie Jones and big Cooky. We need these young, strong fit and pacy players to win us time and space on the ball. I predict more than one of them showing their whingeing team mates and supporters the way at Dundee!

Got to agree LPM.  Oran seems to be getting there with some of the young guys.  The back 4 looked solid.  No Jack Baird but we know what Jack can do.  The big guy,  Cooke certainly added something when he came on.  Edwards, for me,  looked rejuvenated and full of running.  Big Willock looked more physical than he has until he had to go off. Despite the loss of two goals (one the player admits was a fluke)  and the other in the 3rd Minute of extra time, the performance was encouraging. 

Edited by St.Ricky

Guest TPAFKATS
Andy Halliday is a weasel.
What's he done now?
I tried searching on twitter but the only Andy Halliday that came up was in connection to bath library. I don't see him using either of these...

I see in the Times today Graham Speirs singles out Ryan Edwards as always being a poor player including Saturday. I disagree and wonder if Speirs has forgotten Edwards is a Hearts player. Hearts a team that Speirs loves saw fit to sign him. He is a better footballer than the annoying Speirs is a journalist. I remember last year how sorry Speirs was that Dundee Utd didn't get promoted as they were so important to Scottish football. He never praised us at all to the best of my knowledge. In short I can't stand Speirs and just needed to say it. 

7 minutes ago, Oldfellow said:

I see in the Times today Graham Speirs singles out Ryan Edwards as always being a poor player including Saturday. I disagree and wonder if Speirs has forgotten Edwards is a Hearts player. Hearts a team that Speirs loves saw fit to sign him. He is a better footballer than the annoying Speirs is a journalist. I remember last year how sorry Speirs was that Dundee Utd didn't get promoted as they were so important to Scottish football. He never praised us at all to the best of my knowledge. In short I can't stand Speirs and just needed to say it. 

Would be rather odd for Graham Spiers to develop an anti St Mirren agenda would it not?

You are making us sound like the paranoid loonballs up the road!

If his point is we won't be able to compete with a team of players at the standard of Ryan Edwards, then, unfortunately, he is correct.

On 11/3/2018 at 7:42 PM, oaksoft said:

Now we know why the police were so keen to recruit informants from that group.

Josh needs the chance to answer this allegation though.

If there is any truth in it he should be banned from the stadium.

He certainly should be setting a good example for others to follow.

I didn't see it.  Should it be proven.You may well be right about a ban from the stadium  but that's for the club to decide.

it doesn't seem like a police matter.

Until then I have an open mind and he has the right to respond to his accuser.

I really hope that there is no substance to the accusation.

Edited by St.Ricky

8 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

He certainly should be setting a good example for others to follow.

I didn't see it.  Should it be proven.You may well be right about a ban from the stadium  but that's for the club to decide.

it doesn't seem like a police matter.

Until then I have an open mind and he has the right to respond to his accuser.

I really hope that there is no substance to the accusation.

Mr Kujawa you are a sad old man hiding behind a computer screen with some sort of vendetta against us.

Ive never seen you at any game but would love to have a conversation with you next time to see what your problem actually is or if this is just something you do on the internet to pass the time and get your posts up. 

ive already responded that the other guy is obviously mistaken. 

Rangers recover but Candeias the saviour is treated harshly
St Mirren 0 Rangers 2

Graham Spiers
November 5 2018, 12:01am, The Times
Candeias celebrates his goal but was later sent off after receiving a second yellow card
Candeias celebrates his goal but was later sent off after receiving a second yellow card
JEFF HOLMES/PA
Save
Rangers were ecstatic at the end of this affair, as well they might have been. For fully 80 minutes St Mirren were, sometimes desperately, holding them at bay until Daniel Candeias’s “wonder strike” from out on the right flank. Had St Mirren held on it would have been a fifth successive match in which Rangers had appeared laboured. As it was, a gorgeous Alfredo Morelos strike in stoppage time put this game to bed.

The Rangers support was in full, and dodgy, voice in the wake of this victory. When you see such scenes as these — sheer euphoria at the final whistle at beating a hopeless St Mirren — you appreciate again the mill that these supporters have been through over the past six years. With these Rangers wins, perspective is everything.

The Steven Gerrard regime remains exciting and uncertain, but this was a must-win game. A cup semi-final defeat by Aberdeen and a home draw against Kilmarnock in the previous six days meant Rangers and their young manager had some public standing to restore. With a slice of luck, and a flash of skill, Rangers pulled it off.

There was quite a mystery about it, too, not least in the weird sending-off of Candeias right on the final whistle by referee Willie Collum. No-one could fathom what Candeias had done to warrant a second yellow card, and TV footage appeared to confirm his innocence. Yet Collum suspected that Candeias and Anton Ferdinand had had a bust-up — they had not — and flourished a yellow card to both, although the referee was clearly clawing in the dark. Collum, in truth, was not sure what he had seen. It was a ridiculous booking and red card.

Gerrard was in the press room later surrounded by journalists when the Candeias/Ferdinand incident was being replayed on a TV screen. On close-up, there seemed next to nothing going on between the two players, and certainly nothing perceptible that Candeias had done wrong. If anything, Ferdinand was the aggressor. “There’s your evidence,” said Gerrard with derision. “That’s what you’re dealing with. That is embarrassing.”

Later, Craig Samson, the St Mirren goalkeeper, explained that Candeias had been goading Ferdinand after Rangers’ second goal — “goading”: the in-word of Scottish football this past week — and that this was the root of the episode. If there is any justice, the Portuguese winger will have his red card rescinded.

This is all turning into a Ladbrokes Premiership nightmare for Oran Kearney and St Mirren. That is now seven defeats in eight games for the Saints manager since he replaced Alan Stubbs, which must be sobering for the likeable Irishman. Kearney, with his sub-standard players, looked a forlorn and powerless figure on the touchline. There is next to nothing he can do in the here and now.

–– ADVERTISEMENT ––

Morelos scored the goal that sealed the win after Rangers were frustrated by St MirrenMorelos scored the goal that sealed the win after Rangers were frustrated by St Mirren
JEFF HOLMES/PA
No magic wand can make someone like Ryan Edwards somehow compete and thrive at this level. St Mirren did create two decent chances in the opening half — both were saved by Allan McGregor — but they were utterly incapable of making a mark on Rangers, even after the visitors had taken the lead. The Paisley side are in big trouble, with no hero among them to haul them out of it. Samson and his goal had led a slightly charmed life before Candeias’s breakthrough goal set Rangers on their course.

The winger despatched a shot from the right wing which flew as straight as an arrow as it fizzed past the startled St Mirren goalie and into his top right-hand corner. “I’ve never seen one like that before, at least not on purpose,” Gerrard joked, claiming that Candeias had said he meant it. Samson later called Candeias “a jammy bastard” for having scored with what was meant to be a cross.

St Mirren, playing into a stiff breeze after the break, simply couldn’t get out of their half. They offered next to nothing as this match petered out, forever giving the ball away, none worse at that than Edwards. Morelos pounced in the dying moments to whip a shot past Samson for a 14th goal of the season to confirm the win.

Next up for Gerrard and Rangers: Moscow on Thursday. Next up for St Mirren: Dundee away on Saturday. No guesses as to who needs the win more desperately.

How they rated
St Mirren (4-2-3-1): C Samson 5 — P McGinn 6 (sub: C Macpherson 66, 5), A Jones 5, A Ferdinand 5, E Erhahon 6 — I McShane 4, S McGinn 4 — D Mullen 4 (sub: C Cooke 83), M Willock 5 (sub: J Kirkpatrick 61, 4), R Edwards 3 — S Jackson 3. Substitutes not used D Rogers, C Smith, J Baird, A Hammill. Booked Ferdinand, Erhahon, McShane.

Rangers (4-2-1-3): A McGregor 6 — J Tavernier 5, C Goldson 6, J Worrall 5, A Halliday 5 — R Jack 6, O Ejaria 6 (sub: J Rossiter 87) — S Arfield 5 — R Kent 5, A Morelos 7, E Grezda 5 (sub: D Candeias 55, 6). Substitutes not used W Foderingham, J Flanagan, N Katic, L Coulibaly, G Middleton. Booked Jack, Arfield. Sent off Candeias.

3 minutes ago, Suggestion said:

you are a sad old man hiding behind a computer screen with some sort of vendetta against us.

Ive never seen you at any game but would love to have a conversation with you next time to see what your problem actually is or if this is just something you do on the internet to pass the time and get your posts up. 

ive already responded that the other guy is obviously mistaken. 

Nothing could be further from the truth. I have supported the guys in W7 at every opportunity. Have a word with Doakes.

As I said in my reply to the post by Oaksoft, I would expect the leader of the group to lead by showing a good example.

I also said that this was not proven. That I had not seen it and he should have a right to respond.

I don't know the lad so I couldn't have an opinion on whether "he" was involved even if I had seen the incident.

In addition, I said that were he proven to be guilty (and I take your word for it that he's not) then any punishment is for the club to decide not me.

I have been attending games both home and away since 1974. 

Try to avoid attacking your supporters. There are enough people out there who are not as keen on you guys as I am.