The Fecking Naany State

shull

8 minutes ago, Hendo said:

I have two kids, a boy aged 6 and a girl aged 4. Never smacked my daughter, because she by and large behaves. My son, on the other hand, goes through mad spells when he behaves like a Tasmanian devil. He comes out of these spells, but during them he hits out at anyone and anything, and it can be really dangerous. At those times, he sometimes gets a smack, as it's the only thing that slows down his reign of terror.

Is it right? No. Does it change his behaviour long term? No. Does it make anyone feel better? No. But it happens because I don't know what else to do.

And I'm a fecking social worker!

Nice story............

I have 2 children, did I "smack" them if they done something that would endanger them or something that I thought was unacceptable, yes.

Did it have any long term effect, I believe so as they rarely repeated this behaviour. 

19 minutes ago, shull said:

Never mind parents. 

What about savage moronic teachers assaulting children with a fecking leather belt.

Cnuts should have been jailed.

The belt was a deterrent, however it was abused at times but it did what it was intended to do, making some borderline arsehole children think twice.

Where are teachers now with no deterrent? 

Guest TPAFKATS
The belt was a deterrent, however it was abused at times but it did what it was intended to do, making some borderline arsehole children think twice.
If the belt was a deterrent and did what it was intended to do why did it not make every child think twice?

If teachers belting children worked, those kids wouldve been better behaved as adults? Same with parents smacking?

21 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Every swing of the belt was a fecking abuse.

Evil bastards.

Severely assaulting primary children for being minutes late, forgetting Gym kit,  fecking talking in class.

Six foot male teacher at my Primary School  belted a 10 year girl for not doing her homework.

Fecking animal.

And we were told to respect our elders ( teachers)

Fecking cnuts

1 hour ago, shull said:

Every swing of the belt was a fecking abuse.

Evil bastards.

Severely assaulting primary children for being minutes late, forgetting Gym kit,  fecking talking in class.

Six foot male teacher at my Primary School  belted a 10 year girl for not doing her homework.

Fecking animal.

And we were told to respect our elders ( teachers)

Fecking cnuts

Never saw it that way , and I got the belt more than most , bleeding wrists etc  It was discipline , I got six from the depute head  for swinging on coat hangers in the cloak room , I probably didn't deserve as heavy a punishment , but one thing's for sure , I didn't do it again !

Parents use violence against children out of nothing more than frustration.

Stop trying to dress it up as anything else.

Those advocating violence should try saying it in front of a mirror.

"I am beating you for your own protection".

"I am giving you a beating within the context of a loving environment".

You have to be pretty much in blanket denial to think violence against kids is OK.

3 hours ago, faraway saint said:

What a lovely way of describing an act of violence by fully grown adults against defenceless children with malice using a weapon.

I dont give a f**k about where the teachers are right now. I am more concerned that children are no longer subject to acts of violence from them.

7 hours ago, TPAFKATS said:

If the belt was a deterrent and did what it was intended to do why did it not make every child think twice?

If teachers belting children worked, those kids wouldve been better behaved as adults? Same with parents smacking?

Dear oh dear................because not every child is the same and one size doesn't fit all, don't you get that?

Your second bit, how do you know it didn't work? 

14 hours ago, St.Ricky said:

Truly... I don't think any of us are disagreeing with you when you say some people may not vote SNP because of it. 

Where people differ is on the impact this might have and that some may vote in favour who didn't before. 

Yeah I understand that and I guess time will tell. Like I say my reference point is the loss in votes between 2015 and 2017 but that very well could be the end of the trend. 

13 hours ago, oaksoft said:

I have to be honest, I don't keep up with politics to this extent anymore but I would be interested in knowing what polls are supporting your views on the SNP losing support.

The polls I have looked at today (and they are a few months out of date) all indicate that the SNP are recovering well in both Holyrood and Westminster intentions.

Have you got something more up to date?

Not polls, actual elections. They lost 13% in the last one. Given it was only last year, there isn’t a poll that’ll give us a more accurate view but like I say, time will tell 

11 hours ago, TPAFKATS said:

Actually there's been no potential for this in the last general election.

In the Scottish paralment elections 2016 SNP fell two seats short of an overall majority. They lost even more share of the Scottish vote in the 2017 GE. I’m not sure what you mean by this comment. SNP losing popularity is very real based on recent results 

11 hours ago, TPAFKATS said:
17 hours ago, bazil85 said:
This policy is the one the thread is about. For me it links into other nanny state laws as well, everything from alcohol pricing to smacking kids. 

You really think having a law that says it's wrong to hit children is a bad thing?

I think a law that criminalises disciplining children by ‘smacking’  is wrong yes. And it would appear most governments the world over agrees with me. 

Nanny state gone mad. But like I said previously, this is just one of my opinions and if people disagree fine. I couldn’t care less.

My point is and always has been that laws like this will (and have) lost SNP support from voters that don’t want a party telling them how to raise their kids or live their life. 

Guest TPAFKATS
In the Scottish paralment elections 2016 SNP fell two seats short of an overall majority. They lost even more share of the Scottish vote in the 2017 GE. I’m not sure what you mean by this comment. SNP losing popularity is very real based on recent results 
You claimed it was based on their nanny state policies. There is no evidence for that.
Also you can't compare Scottish and Westminster Parliament elections as they are entirely different. One is first past the post, the other has an element of that and also a complex regional pr list.

Guest TPAFKATS
Dear oh dear................because not every child is the same and one size doesn't fit all, don't you get that?
Your second bit, how do you know it didn't work? 
I'm glad you now get it [emoji4]

The second bit? If belting and smacking children worked the courts would be empty and we would've been closing prisons not building them [emoji57]

6 hours ago, bazil85 said:

I think a law that criminalises disciplining children by ‘smacking’  is wrong yes. And it would appear most governments the world over agrees with me. 

Nanny state gone mad. But like I said previously, this is just one of my opinions and if people disagree fine. I couldn’t care less.

My point is and always has been that laws like this will (and have) lost SNP support from voters that don’t want a party telling them how to raise their kids or live their life. 

What is obvious from discussions like this is that vulnerable young children need protection from a surprising number of adults who are quite openly prepared to use violence against them to enforce their will.

Apparently you can tell how civilised a society is by the way it treats its sick and its young.

It is very odd to see adults advocating publicly to be allowed to use violence against their own kids. The fact that these adults will use any word except violence to describe what they are doing should be telling them that what they are doing is wrong.

Another thought. Parents who use violence against their kids may be kidding themselves that it's "just a smack to keep them safe" and in their kids interests but it is highly likely that the kids themselves see their parents as people they cannot fully trust because when things get difficult their parents have shown themselves to be incapable of resolving problems without resorting to smacking the kid. When their kids therefore have problems such as depression etc they are therefore very unlikely to go to their parents for help. Instead, they withdraw into themselves or turn to their mates or alcohol or drugs. Kids are also much more likely to rebel when they reach teenage years and rightly want to be given more freedom because they don't trust the parent to be reasonable with them. Teenage tantrums have nothing to do with teenagers and everything to do with the inevitable breakdown in trust between them and shite parents who smacked them when they were younger.

This really should be starting to ring bells with people.

Edited by oaksoft

7 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Another thought. Parents who use violence against their kids may be kidding themselves that it's "just a smack to keep them safe" and in their kids interests but it is highly likely that the kids themselves see their parents as people they cannot fully trust because when things get difficult their parents have shown themselves to be incapable of resolving problems without resorting to smacking the kid. When their kids therefore have problems such as depression etc they are therefore very unlikely to go to their parents for help. Instead, they withdraw into themselves or turn to their mates or alcohol or drugs. Kids are also much more likely to rebel when they reach teenage years and rightly want to be given more freedom because they don't trust the parent to be reasonable with them. Teenage tantrums have nothing to do with teenagers and everything to do with the inevitable breakdown in trust between them and shite parents who smacked them when they were younger.

This really should be starting to ring bells with people.

Utter pish.

So many assumptions and based on nothing more than your view.

Usual argument in these matters, take things to the extreme and blame all the above tosh on "smacking"

18 hours ago, oaksoft said:

What is obvious from discussions like this is that vulnerable young children need protection from a surprising number of adults who are quite openly prepared to use violence against them to enforce their will.

Apparently you can tell how civilised a society is by the way it treats its sick and its young.

It is very odd to see adults advocating publicly to be allowed to use violence against their own kids. The fact that these adults will use any word except violence to describe what they are doing should be telling them that what they are doing is wrong.

One thing is certain,  l'm glad I got the belt back in the day in preference to what they dish out to unruly kids nowadays.  .