St Mirren v Kilmarnock 20th October

^^^^^^^ There's lots of truth in TC's posts, although he does paint things in a certain light. :rolleyes:

What's coming through is there's an element that can see little wrong with the new manager, partially because of the dislike for Stubbs.

Ross had a similar following, albeit he backed it up with results.

There's plenty of posts from today which are baffled by the substitutions today, but not many being so straightforward as to criticise the manger. 

It's early days but we NEED to stay in this league.

Some of the "it'll be acceptable if we go down" with OK (I wish people would call him by his name) shit that's been posted is honking.

If we go down we will be down, almost certainly, be down for a long time again.

THIS is the place to be, we have to make sure we stay in the top league. 

A victory would do wonders for the confidence of everybody, hope it comes soon. 

3 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

^^^^^^^ There's lots of truth in TC's posts, although he does paint things in a certain light. :rolleyes:

What's coming through is there's an element that can see little wrong with the new manager, partially because of the dislike for Stubbs.

There's plenty of posts from today which are baffled by the substitutions today, but not many being so straightforward as to criticise the manger. 

Some of the "it'll be acceptable if we go down" with OK (I wish people would call him by his name) shit that's been posted is honking.

Stopped reading after your 1st sentence. Don't be taken in by someone  with agendas. 

Edited by munoz

1 minute ago, faraway saint said:

I'm not, but I can read posts without being immediately put off by what people think of another supporter who, as far as I know, attends most matches. 

I attend all matches bar a few every season. I think we weren't far away today from 3pts . Certain things went against us - the injury to Ferdinand being the biggest game changer. I'll wait till I see the other 2 incidents (Killies 2nd , our disallowed goal) before I comment on Collums performance. 

All that aside, today we competed well and for periods of the game looked like the team that's riding high at the top half of the league. 

Thought DOP made a rare excellent post pre match. if only I’d read it beforehand I’d have been sure to alter my post match comments [emoji6]

Skimmed through the replies. Didn’t I say that I wasn’t sure Killies winner was over the line here? My copy pasting needs work. I haven’t seen it again and didn’t have a great view. I’m not sure, was it? If it wasn’t and Jackson’s was onside can we get back to blaming those big bad refs for these repeated losses?

What I am sure in is that we deserved to lose again today.

For those saying we have improved under Kearney, please, talk me through those improvements.

What has improved? The results certainly haven’t. The retort seems to be that yes the results are worse since Oran arrived (which is indisputably clear) but we are losing in a much more impressive manner than we used to lose!

Desperate stuff indeed. Particularly when the details of the matches involved are looked at. The current results are actually quite clearly worse than the Stubbs losses. Awkward.

Is the solution sacking Oran? No. He seems like a perfectly nice family guy who’s trying his level best. I feel sorry for him.

He’s a guy who has no idea what he’s doing. Of course he doesn’t, he’s never played or managed at this level before. He’s an ambitious part time manager from Northern Ireland who’s been thrown in at the deepest of deep ends.

Unsurprisingly, he’s sinking.

If you put a part timer from another country put into a full time position in any walk of life you can’t expect that it’s going to go well. This appointment was as high risk as it gets, and the people who made it are at fault. Sacking him solves nothing.

The question we need to ask now is, how bad do we let it get? Oran has went 5 games without a win. How many games without a win is too many? 10? 15? 20? If we are winless under him on the 31st of December (not unlikely given recent results and upcoming fixtures) does he get the January window?

Maybe he does. If we get relegated in 12th spot does he get the summer window? Maybe he does.

How long do we allow big bad Alan Stubbs to be the scapegoat for our current failures?

People talk about this being Stubbs team. Here’s some uncomfortable statistics for them: Today’s starting 11:

Youth product 1 (Baird)
Signed by Ross: 5 (Samson, McGinnx2, Mullen, Flynn)
Signed by Kearney 3 (Ferdinand, Jackson, Hammill)
Signed by Alan Stubbs 2 (Willock, Hodson)

Thought Hodson and Willock were two of our best players today! Point is, this side is at least as much Oran’s doing as it is Alan’s.

Regardless, this situation is not Oran Kearney’s fault. It’s not Jack Ross’s fault and it’s not Alan Stubbs fault either.

The people who are at fault for this shambles are Gordon Scott, Tony Fitzpatrick, Alan Wardrop, Chris Stewart and David Nicol.

David has already tendered his resignation, good.

I think the rest of them should follow suit.

Oh and[mention=833]djchapsticks[/mention] asked for this post to be dedicated to him giving me a hard time in the pub. [emoji482][emoji16]
You really are a piece of work.

1 minute ago, Gordon Urquhart said:

Thought we were out thought today. Beaten by better players and very good manager.
Won't always be this way, its a cycle. Might take five years to get back but we are heading for Championship again.

Don't 100% agree with your last sentence. the rest I do. 

We need to stay in touch to the window and then Kearney needs to get to work big time. Needs to do the job McIntyre did at RC.

We are better under Kearney. The team spirit is better, we are more competitive and the quality of player he has brought in is better than anything that Stubbs brought to the club

I'm not certain on Kearney overall and he wasn't my choice. Ridiculous gamble by the board in reality. Dundee appointed my choice, though most on here wouldn't have touched McIntyre.

So far  though I think Kearney is doing fine and needs time to sort out an utter disgrace that Stubbs engineered. Long way to go in the season yet. Too early to be talking relegation

15 minutes ago, munoz said:

I attend all matches bar a few every season. I think we weren't far away today from 3pts . Certain things went against us - the injury to Ferdinand being the biggest game changer. I'll wait till I see the other 2 incidents (Killies 2nd , our disallowed goal) before I comment on Collums performance. 

All that aside, today we competed well and for periods of the game looked like the team that's riding high at the top half of the league. 

I'm aware you're at most games and acknowledge your posts are fair.

It certainly seems we were well in the game today but we lost again.

Our home form seems to be quite a step up from our away form.

It's not hard to see that there are posts which are heavily slanted towards continually slating Stubbs and refrain from criticising Oran. 

There's facts that are hard to argue against and, as I've stated earlier, we really, despite some romantic notions, do not want to get relegated again. 

We are probably fortunate that there are 4 teams in the shit right now so we have some hope.

6 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

I'm aware you're at most games and acknowledge your posts are fair.

It certainly seems we were well in the game today but we lost again.

Our home form seems to be quite a step up from our away form.

It's not hard to see that there are posts which are heavily slanted towards continually slating Stubbs and refrain from criticising Oran. 

There's facts that are hard to argue against and, as I've stated earlier, we really, despite some romantic notions, do not want to get relegated again. 

We are probably fortunate that there are 4 teams in the shit right now so we have some hope.

I'm not one for having a go a Stubbs now, absolutely no point. I wanted him to succeed obviously. Time to move on and quickly. Totally agree with your last sentence and said as much after the game. For all the turmoil the club has experienced this season,  we're not even bottom. 

We're not going down .

^^^^^^^ There's lots of truth in TC's posts, although he does paint things in a certain light. default_rolleyes.gif

-you can see anything at least two ways. He tries his best to be controversial. Fair play to him he is good at it. He's still wrong in pretty much everything he thinks.

- Think thats a matter of opinion. People see what they want to see. Most people are prepared to give him a bit of time.

-it took him a while to get that backing.

- pfft

- I think people understand that the squad he was left will make it very challenging to stay up.

I've obviously seen lexs post about this being Oran Kearney's (ok) and Jack Ross' team but we all know he is a f**kwit. Anyone that can't recognise the damage was mainly caused by Stubbs not improving on JR'S squad really is stupid.

Thought DOP made a rare excellent post pre match. if only I’d read it beforehand I’d have been sure to alter my post match comments [emoji6]

Skimmed through the replies. Didn’t I say that I wasn’t sure Killies winner was over the line here? My copy pasting needs work. I haven’t seen it again and didn’t have a great view. I’m not sure, was it? If it wasn’t and Jackson’s was onside can we get back to blaming those big bad refs for these repeated losses?

For those saying we have improved under Kearney, please, talk me through those improvements.

What has improved? The results certainly haven’t. The retort seems to be that yes the results are worse since Oran arrived (which is indisputably clear) but we are losing in a much more impressive manner than we used to lose!

Desperate stuff indeed. Particularly when the details of the matches involved are looked at. The current results are actually quite clearly worse than the Stubbs losses. Awkward.

Is the solution sacking Oran? No. He seems like a perfectly nice family guy who’s trying his level best. I feel sorry for him.

He’s a guy who has no idea what he’s doing. Of course he doesn’t, he’s never played or managed at this level before. He’s an ambitious part time manager from Northern Ireland who’s been thrown in at the deepest of deep ends.

If you put a part timer from another country put into a full time position in any walk of life you can’t expect that it’s going to go well. This appointment was as high risk as it gets, and the people who made it are at fault. Sacking him solves nothing.

The question we need to ask now is, how bad do we let it get? Oran has went 5 games without a win. How many games without a win is too many? 10? 15? 20? If we are winless under him on the 31st of December (not unlikely given recent results and upcoming fixtures) does he get the January window?

Maybe he does. If we get relegated in 12th spot does he get the summer window? Maybe he does.

How long do we allow big bad Alan Stubbs to be the scapegoat for our current failures?

People talk about this being Stubbs team. Here’s some uncomfortable statistics for them: Today’s starting 11:

Youth product 1 (Baird)

Thought Hodson and Willock were two of our best players today! Point is, this side is at least as much Oran’s doing as it is Alan’s.

Regardless, this situation is not Oran Kearney’s fault. It’s not Jack Ross’s fault and it’s not Alan Stubbs fault either.

The people who are at fault for this shambles are Gordon Scott, Tony Fitzpatrick, Alan Wardrop, Chris Stewart and David Nicol.

Oh and[mention=833]djchapsticks[/mention] asked for this post to be dedicated to him giving me a hard time in the pub. [emoji482][emoji16]

Oran has no clue lol more like you have no clue no surprise to see you squirm as others have caught you out contradicting yourself.

Willock Jackson Baird and hammill even though his injury was still causing him trouble today were our best performers today.

Stubbs squad is mostly in the stand or already punted at how bad they were and proved so that they can’t even compete with st Johnstone reserves it’s no wonder why we were well and truly beaten by half time in most games under Stubbs.

The 3 players Oran have signed have been great considering the circumstances outside the transfer window and a huge difference in quality from the ones Stubbs added.

Let’s just forget the great appointment the board made with jack giving us some great times and call for them to resign after 1 bad appointment.

I do also believe I’m a complete fud 1 for reading that pile of pish and 2 for even replying to it.

1 minute ago, buddies1877 said:

Oran has no clue lol more like you have no clue no surprise to see you squirm as others have caught you out contradicting yourself.

Willock Jackson Baird and hammill even though his injury was still causing him trouble today were our best performers today.

Stubbs squad is mostly in the stand or already punted at how bad they were and proved so that they can’t even compete with st Johnstone reserves it’s no wonder why we were well and truly beaten by half time in most games under Stubbs.

The 3 players Oran have signed have been great considering the circumstances outside the transfer window and a huge difference in quality from the ones Stubbs added.

Let’s just forget the great appointment the board made with jack giving us some great times and call for them to resign after 1 bad appointment.

I do also believe I’m a complete fud 1 for reading that pile of pish and 2 for even replying to it.

You got that right. :lol:

Picking up on other people's comments and spinning them isn't my style.  None of us enjoy losing but the first half was great. Losing Ferdinand without having a straight replacement upset our balance.  Midfiełd moved back 10 yards and Hammill tired and stopped backtracking leaving Willock to cover two runners.  This allowed Killie space to shoot and their first goal came from a great strike from around 20-25 yards out.  Despite Killie having the edge in the second half the game was ultimately settled by two refereeing decisions which saw a goal Awarded to our visitors and a goal for Saints disallowed. This is some league at the top and bottom.  Only 5 points cover the top 5 teams and three points the bottom four.  Tense?  Yes.  Exciting? Sure. Bring it on. By the way,  I thought both W7 and the Kilmarnock fans helped create a terrific atmosphere.  Live football. Nothing like it. 

Edited by St.Ricky

H e thought Jack Ross was a bad appointment. [emoji23]

2 hours ago, TopCat said:

Thought DOP made a rare excellent post pre match. if only I’d read it beforehand I’d have been sure to alter my post match comments emoji6.png

Youth product 1 (Baird)

Oh and@djchapsticks asked for this post to be dedicated to him giving me a hard time in the pub. emoji482.pngemoji16.png

That is a massive “TLDR”. 

3 hours ago, TopCat said:

Thought DOP made a rare excellent post pre match. if only I’d read it beforehand I’d have been sure to alter my post match comments emoji6.png

Youth product 1 (Baird)

Oh and@djchapsticks asked for this post to be dedicated to him giving me a hard time in the pub. emoji482.pngemoji16.png

You know, I could swear if you replaced Alan Stubbs name with Alex Rae and Oran Kearney's name with Jack Ross, you were spouting the same pish almost two years ago.

Different managers but the one constant? You were a fanny then and you're still a fanny now.

7 hours ago, buddies1877 said:

I don’t understand the point of jones on the bench either if he’s not going to use him

He’s supposed to be a center back but we choose to play players out of position instead I don’t get that.

That was the only disappointing thing for me today was the substitutions.

Very encouraging 1st half but injuries haunt us yet again this year.

I know that faraway while point out I'm alluding to you-know-who again, 5 weeks after he was sacked but our choice of centre backs at the moment are Gary MacKenzie (injured), Cole Kpekawa (dropped as soon as OK came in as manager), Heaton (barely started a game under either St Mirren manager he has had), Jack Baird, Anton Ferdinand (not match fit when signed and still not looking 100% fit), and Alfie Jones (defensive midfielder who can also play at centre half). OK seems to have decided that Kpekawa isn't going to get much game time, and by the looks of it he's rather re-jig the defence and bring Cammy MacPherson in at right back and move Paul McGinn across to centre half rather than play Heaton or Jones there if Baird or Ferdinand get injured.

There were rumours going around about our pre-season being pretty relaxed and when we had an extra day to prepare for the Rangers game at Ibrox you-know-who decided to give everyone an extra day off that week.

3 hours ago, TopCat said:

Youth product 1 (Baird)

It really pains me that any visitors to the forum not of a black and white persuasion will see you diluting it constantly with your drivel and think you’re a representation of the rest of us.

At the end of the day you-know-who may no longer be the St Mirren manager but his influence on our season lives on due to him shaping the squad we have from the start of the season until January at the earliest. He made 11 signings in 1 window and spent most of the budget for this season. Kearney arrived after the transfer window closed and it is little surprise when he was left to sign players without clubs that Ferdinard, Jackson and Hammill would take a month or two to get fully match fit. Unfortunately for Kearney how many of our 13 summer signings look capable of cutting it at this level?

Danny Rogers (injured - but looked shakey in League Cup games and Sunderland friendly and didn't look like he'd push Samson for No.1 spot)

Paul McGinn - played at this level for a few years, an alright bottom 6 premiership player.

Lee Hodson - played at this level for a few years, an alright bottom 6 premiership player.

Josh Heaton - hard to comment objectively given his lack of game time.

Cole Kpekawa - looked OK in debut at Killie but suspect in most other games since then, and didn't look very fit either.

Alfie Jones - looked OK in debut coming on as a sub at Aberdeen but out of his depth  after that or possibly has the potential and needs to go on a steep learning curve.

Hayden Coulson - looked great in debut at Killie but increasingly lost his confidence / way after that, or other teams targetted his defensive frailties and he became a weak link in a dodgy defence and wasn't able to replicate his attacking forays which marked his debut. Now returned to Middlesborough after loan deal was cut short.

Jim Kellerman - got some game time in League Cup group stages and was hit and miss - sent out on loan before the transfer window ended.

Jeff King - our replacement for Lewis Morgan? A winger. Largely absent from matchday and reserve squads since signing on a permanent deal.

Matty Willock - shows some promise in patches but as near November still doesn't look match fit despite signing at the start of August.

Ryan Edwards - played at this level for a few years but probably a meh-ish bottom 6 player... arguably one of the better summer signings just before the window shut.

Nicolai Brock-Madsen - we could be generous and say that he was starved of service and featured largely in the games where we wre getting pumped and the matches were over by half time and he didn't get much of a chance to show if he was an attacking threat or not. On the other hand he did say we would see a hard working, pacey attacker who hoped to score lots of goals for us. Barely had a shot on or off target in his short-lived St Mirren career.

Cody Cooke - in trying to be fair and balanced all we can say is we've not seen enough of him to judge whether he is up to the standard required!

Dean Lyness - back up goalie signed by Kearney until January as cover for the injured Danny Rogers

Anton Ferdinand - has played at a higher level than where we are but isn't looking fully fit yet - does seem to have helped organise the defence and improved Jack Baird's performances

Adam Hammill - has played at a higher level than where we find ourselves - moves clubs regularly - not fully fit yet but does look as though he will give us better attacking options even while he is part way to reaching match fitness.

Simeon Jackson - looks like he could offer a goal threat and take a fair percentage of the chances he gets - still having to work off slim pickings.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

A decent number of our summer signings are either unused subs, not being selected for matchday squads, and in some cases even being overlooked for reserve team football.  The only permanent summer signing (1 out of 6) playing most weeks is Paul McGinn (signed by Jack Ross). Heaton, Kpekawa, King and Cooke are all on 2 or 3 year deals. Hodsen looks ok-ish, Edwards and Willock have been patchy but it's hard not to conclude the summer transfer window has been a car-crash of write-off proportions... and this is what Kearney has inherited and got to work with until the winter transfer window opens. There are glimmers of hope that his initial signings are better than we signed over the summer and are astep in the right direction. For that reason I will give him time, support and breathing space even if results don't go our way between now and January.  Our saving grace is it looks like a lot of teams are stronger this year (will Aberdeen make the top 6) and Accies, Motherwell (pressure has to be beginning to mount on Robinson), ourselves and Dundee look as though we could be the whipping boys of the league. I do think Dundee will let McIntyre splash the cash in January.

Youth product 1 (Baird)

You talk some bollocks. You did say Jackson was offside & the ball was over the line, as I said you love us being in this position, do you get off on this.? ffs Give OK a chance.

Picking up on other people's comments and spinning them isn't my style.  None of us enjoy losing but the first half was great. Losing Ferdinand without having a straight replacement upset our balance.  Midfiełd moved back 10 yards and Hammill tired and stopped backtracking leaving Willock to cover two runners.  This allowed Killie space to shoot and their first goal came from a great strike from around 20-25 yards out.  Despite Killie having the edge in the second half the game was ultimately settled by two refereeing decisions which saw a goal Awarded to our visitors and a goal for Saints disallowed. This is some league at the top and bottom.  Only 5 points cover the top 5 teams and three points the bottom four.  Tense?  Yes.  Exciting? Sure. Bring it on. By the way,  I thought both W7 and the Kilmarnock fans helped create a terrific atmosphere.  Live football. Nothing like it. 

Topcat loves us losing [emoji6]