St Mirren v Kilmarnock 20th October

Until we get goal line technology there will continue to be these type of arguments.

Some will go for teams, others against. 

When VAR was introduced part of the argument against it were that referees are an important part of the game, mistakes and all, and these decisions are part of football, giving fans something to talk about. :lol:

7 minutes ago, elvis said:

I have said it before but there is a photo over on P/B that if you enlarge it you can see it is clearly over the line I don't know how to put it on here sorry. 

It is what it is Sportscene pointed out our chopped off goal was offside by a couple of inches , no desecration rules are rules but I don't think the offside rule was implanted on inches. Still we have to take the positives out the game and carry then into the St Johnstone game. 

We had a good first half, then the manager made a James Hunt of it by keeping three forwards on, not replacing an injured centre back like for like. And telling Sammy and the back line to 'Shell It' like it was 1918. To our wee yins up front.

its going to be a long feckin drag from here on in to see if we go straight down, or worse still get pumped by one of our 'also rans' from last season in the playoffs.

1 hour ago, shull said:

IMG_0139.thumb.jpg.6f0ebeaee4164d08a2fa1687190014af.thumb.jpg.76adccd9dcc125e064d7f3d72a4eb283.jpg

I would say that the probability is that all of the ball is over the line and therefore the goal should have been awarded...…..that said there is absolutely no way that the linesman could have given that decision with any sort of certainty, there are three players and a post obscuring his view if he's standing at the corner flag and if he's not his angle can't allow him to make that decision definitively, a lucky guess by the official!!

On ‎10‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 4:52 PM, TopCat said:

FT 1-2

Think we deserved to lose that over the piece. It was an even first half separated by a freak goal and Killie were much better second half.

Wasn’t sure if their second was over the line, but we can’t be giving free headers 6 yards out and expecting not to concede.

Our main problem is we aren’t any good going forward, at the back or tactically. We also don’t look interested.

We weren’t any good under Stubbs, but remarkably we have managed to get worse since he left. Stubbs drew at Rugby Park in our first competitive game of the season, and he actually won a league game, oh for those halycon days. He returned more points from his 4 league games than Oran has from his 5.

Now we have lost 4 on the spin under Kearney, the only time we he didn’t lose was against a team who had 10 men for an hour, where we managed to scrape a 0-0.

Barring a miracle and/or Dundee continuing to be worse than us, we will be relegated.

Sad but true! 

4 hours ago, pondsman said:

I can understand supporters on here being exercised about Killie's second goal and our disallowed goal, but refs and linesmen (assistant refs, for the younger generation) sometimes make poor or wrong decisions, as we all know. Perhaps it was just our turn to be on the wrong end of them. Nothing to do with political affiliations, I'm sure. In any case, no amount of complaining is going to change a result which is already in the record books.

I think we should concentrate on the improvement in the team's general performance, which was considerable. So, let's get behind our new manager as he tries to improve the team further and move on to the next game, against St. Johnstone. We can reasonably expect to take something from this game if we play as we did for most of the game on Saturday.

Agreed - put the feelings of being hard done by to one side and keep striving to get that first point/win on the table under OK. We must start competing as well away from home as we have done at home, despite the lack of anything concrete to take from it as yet.

IMG_0139.thumb.jpg.6f0ebeaee4164d08a2fa1687190014af.thumb.jpg.76adccd9dcc125e064d7f3d72a4eb283.jpg

That picture doesn’t prove it’s over the line. The amount of football fans that claim a ball has gone out of play when most of the ball has gone over the line, rather than all of it is unbelievable. Yes it may have crossed the line, but we’ll never know for sure. To say from that photo that it’s a clear goal is pushing it in my opinion.
We lost 2-1, so we should all move on and focus onto our next game, myself included to be fair. There were positive and negative aspects to Saturday, but I think we’re going in the right direction.

We are getting better slowly but surely and for me the home performances under Kearney against Celtic, Hibernian and Kilmarnock merited more than the single point we've taken IMO.

For me the biggest problems remain a lack of physicality both in the middle of the park and up front, and a lack of genuine width and attacking options on the left.

I assumed Hammill would start left with Flynn on the right but the manager switched that round and whilst I thought Hammill looked good (despite not looking fully fit) I thought Flynn really struggled.

It's no coincidence that Livingston are doing well in the top flight with a big strong squad of players. They can play a bit too but they are physically well equipped for the battle and I don't think we are to be honest. Kilmarnock are also a big strong side.

Magennis coming back in will give us more energy and physicality than Flynn offers but sadly I think the writing might be on the wall for the Captain who I think is struggling to cope with the step up in quality this season so far. We need much more strength in the middle of the park than he is (currently) giving us IMO.

Ferdinand being replaced by MacPherson was a bit baffling. McGinn doesn't look great at Centre Half but then again Jones doesn't either and neither Kpekawa or Heaton seem to be good enough. If the big man is out for a few weeks we are in a bit of bother and no mistake.

Finally I think I'd rather have Cammy Smith up front with Simeon than Danny. For me Mullen isn't quite good enough at this level yet. Works hard but he doesn't hold the ball up well and goes down too easily.

6 minutes ago, div said:

We are getting better slowly but surely and for me the home performances under Kearney against Celtic, Hibernian and Kilmarnock merited more than the single point we've taken IMO.

For me the biggest problems remain a lack of physicality both in the middle of the park and up front, and a lack of genuine width and attacking options on the left.

I assumed Hammill would start left with Flynn on the right but the manager switched that round and whilst I thought Hammill looked good (despite not looking fully fit) I thought Flynn really struggled.

It's no coincidence that Livingston are doing well in the top flight with a big strong squad of players. They can play a bit too but they are physically well equipped for the battle and I don't think we are to be honest. Kilmarnock are also a big strong side.

Magennis coming back in will give us more energy and physicality than Flynn offers but sadly I think the writing might be on the wall for the Captain who I think is struggling to cope with the step up in quality this season so far. We need much more strength in the middle of the park than he is (currently) giving us IMO.

Ferdinand being replaced by MacPherson was a bit baffling. McGinn doesn't look great at Centre Half but then again Jones doesn't either and neither Kpekawa or Heaton seem to be good enough. If the big man is out for a few weeks we are in a bit of bother and no mistake.

Finally I think I'd rather have Cammy Smith up front with Simeon than Danny. For me Mullen isn't quite good enough at this level yet. Works hard but he doesn't hold the ball up well and goes down too easily.

Largely agree Div. Might split hairs with you on particular players. 

8 minutes ago, div said:

Finally I think I'd rather have Cammy Smith up front with Simeon than Danny, for me Mullen isn't quite good enough at this level yet. Works hard but he doesn't hold the ball up well and goes down too easily.

Agree with most of this.

Our movement off the ball is poor - is this down to attitude/alertness/fitness?

Most of our midfielders hide at throw ins and if they get possession quickly lose it again as they get out-muscled or are just too slow.

However, this is a trend that has carried on from last season in the Championship when we seldom dominated the midfield despite running away with the league.

2 hours ago, div said:

Mullen is nowhere near good enough, Smith would be a far better option with Jackson.

Agree about McGinn, sadly he is really struggling with the step up, only a matter of time before he is dropped.

Was really impressed with Willock on Saturday, was easily the best player on the park in the 1st half.

2 hours ago, div said:

Agree with you. Really worried about losing Anton as we struggle big time without him. Paul McGinn is not the answer. He looks shaky at CH and big Jack then becomes really nervy. Just dont get whats going on with Heaton - haven't seen enough of him to know if its been a blunder. I think the Captain is struggling but is good enough and will come good. Mullen or Smith is a difficult one. Cammy has gone backward this season and made no impact in the short time he was on the park on Saturday. Cammy doesn't cause as much mayhem as Danny and doesn't defend as well. Danny definately  falls over too much and he needs to change this pronto. Neither carries a goal threat and they don't create enough chances for others. Ryan Edwards is another difficult one. Great against Celtic and always gives 100% but not a game changer. They are all decent players but just not firing on all cylinders and not yet gelling as a team. Confidence looks very fragile. On the plus side, Willock, Hodson and Simeon are  very good. Love Hammill as he is top drawer and is gallus with it.

24 minutes ago, magnus said:

Agree with you. Really worried about losing Anton as we struggle big time without him. Paul McGinn is not the answer. He looks shaky at CH and big Jack then becomes really nervy. Just dont get whats going on with Heaton - haven't seen enough of him to know if its been a blunder. I think the Captain is struggling but is good enough and will come good. Mullen or Smith is a difficult one. Cammy has gone backward this season and made no impact in the short time he was on the park on Saturday. Cammy doesn't cause as much mayhem as Danny and doesn't defend as well. Danny definately  falls over too much and he needs to change this pronto. Neither carries a goal threat and they don't create enough chances for others. Ryan Edwards is another difficult one. Great against Celtic and always gives 100% but not a game changer. They are all decent players but just not firing on all cylinders and not yet gelling as a team. Confidence looks very fragile. On the plus side, Willock, Hodson and Simeon are  very good. Love Hammill as he is top drawer and is gallus with it.

Hopefully Oran will have learned to not go with three up front for 90 mins. We looked good until Anton went off, then the baffling substitution and playing players out of their positions. If Anton is out for a couple of weeks i cant see us keeping a clean sheet.

On the individual players, Mullen gave away possession a hell of a lot on Saturday. Cammy Smith and Jackson would work as a partnership, and hopefully we will see more of Jamieson as a possible target man.

Stephen McGinn had a very good game on Saturday I thought, one of his better ones this season.

The centre back issue seems to be a huge problem. I understand Jones is a central midfielder rather than centre half, not sure why he was signed mind you given the number of central midfielders we already had. Shows you the complete mismanagement of the squad when we can't even get an XI in their proper positions now out of over 30 players! We might even need to go for an emergency loan!

Every profile ive seen on football sites or Southamptons own site all have Alfie jones as a center back as his main position.

So I’m pretty sure he’s a center back that can play a defensive role in midfield either way I think he should have featured for us at some point on Saturday either coming on for anton or when killie started dominating midfield early in the 2nd he should of came on for Mullen or Flynn imo

IMG_6245.jpg