UK Debt

Isle Of Bute Saint

Watching the news this morning it is being reported IMF have the UK 's government's as one of the poorest in the world. The problem is  that the UK government doesn't have assets compaird to liabilities.  Debt has now reached 2 trillion . Never mind the conservative party are going to stop austerity.  Who is going to pay this debt ? 

1 hour ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Watching the news this morning it is being reported IMF have the UK 's government's as one of the poorest in the world. The problem is  that the UK government doesn't have assets compaird to liabilities.  Debt has now reached 2 trillion . Never mind the conservative party are going to stop austerity.  Who is going to pay this debt ? 

Might have to sell the Crown Jewels and reduce our debts to 1.99 trillion.   :whistle

Ocean Finance are speaking with the government, advising on consolidating all their loans.

It is scary when you see the figures, makes you wonder what was the point in the Austerity measures in the first place? I'm a firm believer that charity begins at home, only give aid to the countries that really need it and countries that can show what they are actually doing with it. Close all the tax avoidance loop holes that companies like amazon etc are allegedly using. Do that and the debt might drop to 1.9999999999999 trillion. lol

14 minutes ago, chalky1 said:

Ocean Finance are speaking with the government, advising on consolidating all their loans.

It is scary when you see the figures, makes you wonder what was the point in the Austerity measures in the first place? I'm a firm believer that charity begins at home, only give aid to the countries that really need it and countries that can show what they are actually doing with it. Close all the tax avoidance loop holes that companies like amazon etc are allegedly using. Do that and the debt might drop to 1.9999999999999 trillion. lol

It's mind boggling figures experts are saying our grand children will live in poverty. I'm no financial experts but can grasp the basics. The government sold off major assets to privatisation. Brown sold off a whack of gold reserve. What is our mind set meaning previous and current governments  to get into this mess. You look at Norway in the black thanks in part to Oil and Gas where we squandered it to stick our nose into wars and the like. 

39 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

It's mind boggling figures experts are saying our grand children will live in poverty. I'm no financial experts but can grasp the basics. The government sold off major assets to privatisation. Brown sold off a whack of gold reserve. What is our mind set meaning previous and current governments  to get into this mess. You look at Norway in the black thanks in part to Oil and Gas where we squandered it to stick our nose into wars and the like. 

The thing that annoys me with the Oil & Gas, we sell it to European countries who then sell it back to us at a dearer price. I just don't understand that. True that we have sold most off our major assets and it would cost a fortune to bring them back under public ownership. War thing, again we didn't have all the information but I am the believer that we need a strong Armed Force.

32 minutes ago, chalky1 said:

The thing that annoys me with the Oil & Gas, we sell it to European countries who then sell it back to us at a dearer price. I just don't understand that. True that we have sold most off our major assets and it would cost a fortune to bring them back under public ownership. War thing, again we didn't have all the information but I am the believer that we need a strong Armed Force.

Agree we need a strong armed forces but not to use it to attack others in far off lands that we have nothing to do with. I know this subject is a can of worms so will keep off it.  What kind of debt would a independent Scotland have and how could we pay it off. 

Another can of worms talking about an Independent Scotland :P I think the UK government would try the same tactics that the EU is currently trying with the UK. Don't know anything about what we spend to what we raise etc but we do have unlimited natural resources that could be used to generate power (Wind & Sea). We do have decent amount of exports but again not sure what we import

1 hour ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

We got 3.5 Billion for our Gold................ trouble with UK is that we bailed out the banks  to tune of £750 billion. We have never recovered. But hey ho. May has said is all great, we are in fantastic shape, so who are we to question a PM ? As they always do whats right for the country- Dont they !!:whistle

4 hours ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

I think the idea is that the loan just gets serviced and not paid off . The UK did pay off the war debt to the Yanks and the Canadians recently. .however the Yanks still owe way more than us as do the Germans and the US owes over 1 trillion to China alone . .

Not worth losing sleep over . I reckon if the Chinese were going to buy America they would have done it by now.  

1 hour ago, DougJamie said:

We got 3.5 Billion for our Gold................ trouble with UK is that we bailed out the banks  to tune of £750 billion. We have never recovered. But hey ho. May has said is all great, we are in fantastic shape, so who are we to question a PM ? As they always do whats right for the country- Dont they !!:whistle

We could have got more for the gold but Gordon gave Der Deutch a very low price. .

9 minutes ago, saintnextlifetime said:

We could have got more for the gold but Gordon gave Der Deutch a very low price. .

I know an ex chancellor at that !! Sold it when it was at its lowest point......................... Desperate .................... what a bloody state this country is in.......

If we get relegated I am aff

2 hours ago, DougJamie said:

I know an ex chancellor at that !! Sold it when it was at its lowest point......................... Desperate .................... what a bloody state this country is in.......

If we get relegated I am aff

I think the fact that he announced he was selling , helped to crash the price . .if only he had worn his wee tinfoil bunnet. .