What Makes A Good Driver ?

shull

2 hours ago, pod said:

Nope.   How much extra did you pay for something you don't use.  How many season  tickets could that have bought.

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars/article-3502530/How-does-cost-car-parks-reveal-model-costs.html

Far too much.  You can add Sat Nav onto that list.  

7 hours ago, St.Ricky said:

Surely your car does that for you! 

Also Parallel parking. 

It's the new normal. 

The "new normal" is paying for your car on a finance deal and therefore never actually owning the car. This explains the proliferation of ludicrously massive outsized fugly 4x4s polluting the roads of our country. Nobody seems to actually own any of these monstrsities. That is the new normal.

On 10/11/2018 at 10:39 PM, pod said:

Don't need a Satnav to get from Stirling to Greenhill Road.  

Absolutely right Pod. There are so many gadgets built in that I will personally never use but I do like a lot of the automatic drivers aids.  Lights which come on,  Windscreen wipers that recognize that it's raining, speed setting,  cruise control, obstacle warning, lane warning,  tiredness warning.   Then there is Gadget that let's me choose one of 4 driving styles and of course 2 or4 wheel drive. Modern cars are truly amazing. 

4 hours ago, St.Ricky said:

Absolutely right Pod. There are so many gadgets built in that I will personally never use but I do like a lot of the automatic drivers aids.  Lights which come on,  Windscreen wipers that recognize that it's raining, speed setting,  cruise control, obstacle warning, lane warning,  tiredness warning.   Then there is Gadget that let's me choose one of 4 driving styles and of course 2 or4 wheel drive. Modern cars are truly amazing. 

How does the car know you are tired?

5 hours ago, St.Ricky said:

I just want one that gets me from A to B.  

I don’t know what makes a good driver. As someone who has driven almost 1.25 million miles in my life however I think I am reasonably qualified to offer an opinion on what makes a bad driver.

1.People who tailgate, especially when it’s pissing down on the motorway.
2. People who think indicators are for others to use.
3. People who are lane hoggers.
4. People who think it’s ok to Chuck rubbish out of cars
5. Drivers who are drunk,or unfit through drugs
6. Inconsiderate parking , don’t care if loading, unloading or picking up passengers . It’s not cool to double park or park on the pavement
7. People who abuse the blue badge scheme ( bad drivers and arrogant ignorant arseholes)
8. Fill in your own gripe.

I think that, taking into account how many people are as thick as feck, we have a remarkable low rate of accidents compared to other countries. 

This, IMO, says a lot for the rules and regulations that are in place and the authorities who, try, to maintain some order, despite the obvious difficulties. 

Surprisingly, for me, the rate of fatalities, has dropped year on year for quite some time. 

deaths on the road - reported road fatalities in Great Britain have plummeted

4 hours ago, faraway saint said:

I think that, taking into account how many people are as thick as feck, we have a remarkable low rate of accidents compared to other countries. 

This, IMO, says a lot for the rules and regulations that are in place and the authorities who, try, to maintain some order, despite the obvious difficulties. 

Surprisingly, for me, the rate of fatalities, has dropped year on year for quite some time. 

deaths on the road - reported road fatalities in Great Britain have plummeted

It's the same story for all severities of injuries as well.

We are still seeing about 300 deaths and injuries on our roads every single day.

I think that is still a truly horrific number of completely avoidable incidents.

Other than an unforseen mechanical problem or someone having a medical emergency behind the wheel, there is no reason why that number should be much above zero on average. I think autonomous driving will get us there.

2 hours ago, oaksoft said:

It's the same story for all severities of injuries as well.

We are still seeing about 300 deaths and injuries on our roads every single day.

I think that is still a truly horrific number of completely avoidable incidents.

Other than an unforseen mechanical problem or someone having a medical emergency behind the wheel, there is no reason why that number should be much above zero on average. I think autonomous driving will get us there.

I drove a lot in South Africa where both the standard of driving was poor and many vehicles were in poor condition or poorly maintained.  Driving in the dark meant no stopping at red lights or stop signs to avoid the possibility of Car Jacking and it's consequences. Not surprisingly the number of accidents were high with over 26,000 Killed on the Roads annually.  The population was,if I remember rightly, around just under 50m so smaller than the UK.  Modern safety features are helping us but human error is still too high. Every chance that so called driverless cars would ultimately be safer.

Preventable

Road traffic crashes are predictable and can be prevented. Many countries have shown sharp reductions in the number of crashes and casualties by taking actions including:

• Raising awareness of, legislating and enforcing laws governing speed limits, alcohol impairment, seat-belt use, child restraints and safety helmets.
  • Formulating and implementing transport and land-use policies that promote safer and more efficient trips; encouraging the use of safer modes of travel, such as public transport; and incorporating injury prevention measures into traffic management and road design.
  • Making vehicles more protective and visible for occupants, pedestrians and cyclists; using daytime running lights, high-mounted brake lights and reflective materials on cycles, carts, rickshaws and other non-motorized forms of transport.

10 hours ago, St.Ricky said:

I drove a lot in South Africa where both the standard of driving was poor and many vehicles were in poor condition or poorly maintained.  Driving in the dark meant no stopping at red lights or stop signs to avoid the possibility of Car Jacking and it's consequences. Not surprisingly the number of accidents were high with over 26,000 Killed on the Roads annually.  The population was,if I remember rightly, around just under 50m so smaller than the UK.  Modern safety features are helping us but human error is still too high. Every chance that so called driverless cars would ultimately be safer.

Modern safety features are bound to have made a big difference.  We no longer get the thick fog that used cause huge pile ups and carnage on the likes of the M6 or the M1 because pollution has changed since the 7ts . The eradication of drunk driving must have an impact too but I don't think you can legislate for the other deaths that are still occurring.   

Might be an idea though for the government to bring back the information films they used to show on the telly. The one about how to merge on the Motorway would be a must .

2 hours ago, saintnextlifetime said:

Modern safety features are bound to have made a big difference.  We no longer get the thick fog that used cause huge pile ups and carnage on the likes of the M6 or the M1 because pollution has changed since the 7ts . The eradication of drunk driving must have an impact too but I don't think you can legislate for the other deaths that are still occurring.   

Might be an idea though for the government to bring back the information films they used to show on the telly. The one about how to merge on the Motorway would be a must .

Yes, agree with that.

It's incredible how many people think you can just indicate and pull onto the motorway as a right of way.

Living in the country, I see people routinely overtake on bends, near junctions, on the brow of hills and regularly all 3 of those.

21 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Yes, agree with that.

It's incredible how many people think you can just indicate and pull onto the motorway as a right of way.

Living in the country, I see people routinely overtake on bends, near junctions, on the brow of hills and regularly all 3 of those.

There are probably public information films that deal with all of those , there was certainly one that dealt with reverse parking ( as discussed earlier) that featured the famous Reginald Molhusband.  .