St Johnstone V St Mirren 27.10.18

St.Ricky

Back to the. Match.  St Johnstone were badly mauled by Celtic but bounced back.  

Tough game in prospect. 

Looking forward to hearing the line up on Saturday. 

There might be just under 4.000 there. 

Scoreline.  Score Draw.

Here's the StJohnstone take on things:

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/st-johnstone/749650/st-johnstone-relatively-unscathed-after-bruising-motherwell-encounter/

Edited by St.Ricky

I hate it, too big, always almost empty and fecking freezing.
I caught "real flu", as opposed to man flu, there quite a few years ago, knocked me for six! 
Main Stand apparently. Not been to the ground for years but will be there tomorrow. Really looking forward to it. It's one of my boys birthday and all he wants to do is go the the match - I must have done something right.

Be four of us there and really looking forward to it, and surely seeing a much better performance than Pittodrie a few weeks ago (the only other game we've been to)

COYS

1 hour ago, faraway saint said:

I caught "real flu", as opposed to man flu, there quite a few years ago, knocked me for six! 

You should have got in touch with them and told them to get their Hospitality Area decontaminated.

1 hour ago, faraway saint said:

Jessie flu. :byebye

I done hold out much for this one. Motherwell is a more realistic prospect in my opinion. 

The Fakes baffle me slightly, terrible support, empty stadium, however, seem to do pretty well each year! I would say on the face of things they are comparable with us but just seem to be better run and made good decisions persistently (or at least more consistently).

Over the years they also seem to be have had the upper hand with us. I would take a draw right now.

37 minutes ago, spankin_panda said:

I done hold out much for this one. Motherwell is a more realistic prospect in my opinion. 

The Fakes baffle me slightly, terrible support, empty stadium, however, seem to do pretty well each year! I would say on the face of things they are comparable with us but just seem to be better run and made good decisions persistently (or at least more consistently).

Over the years they also seem to be have had the upper hand with us. I would take a draw right now.

Seldom easy to beat and their pitch never seems to be great.  Points - Plural or singular would do me fine. 

1 hour ago, St.Ricky said:

Seldom easy to beat and their pitch never seems to be great.  Points - Plural or singular would do me fine. 

I agree! 1 point would be good. 

When I cast my mind back, even when we weve been winning div one or doing well, St Johnston have always been a bogey team. I remember back when George Boyle (O'Boyle) we seemed to take a few thumping's. 

Anyway, lets hope we can play like we did first half against Killie and you never know....

St Johnstone defender Richard Foster fully aware of Matty Willock's quality

10:43, 26 OCT 2018

0_WILLOCK.jpgMatty Willock during his loan spell with St Johnstone

Get Sport updates directly to your inbox
Subscribe

Richard Foster has warned fellow team-mates to keep close tabs on St Mirren midfielder Matty Willock this weekend.

The Manchester United star spent time at McDiarmid Park last term but has now joined the Buddies on a season-long loan.

Full-back Foster witnessed first hand the qualities that Willock possesses and knows he has the ability to cause serious damage.

Foster said: “Matty is technically very good and he listens to coaches and senior players when they are trying to help him. He soaks everything up.

“I haven’t seen much of him play since but once he got used to the pace of the game up here, I really thought he started to find his feet.

“He was coming from playing in the Dutch league which is probably even slower than the English league in terms of pace of the game.

“To come to Scotland where it’s 100 miles an hour all the time, it took him a few games to find his feet.

“But when he did he more than showed that he is capable of playing at this level. He finished the season very strongly.

“He has the vision and technique to pull off the pass and he’ll be a player we need to watch.

“His driving runs forward both with and without the ball are very effective so it will be a difficult game for any midfielder who plays against him. I watched the St Mirren highlights and they were unlucky to lose against Kilmarnock.

“There were a couple of decisions which maybe didn’t go for them. They look like they might have turned the corner a bit.”

Foster was thrilled to get back to winning ways against Motherwell last week and singled out the back three for praise.

“I echo what the manager said in that, with the dressing room we’ve got, we knew there would be some kind of reaction,” he said.

“We’re never going to go there and play great, fast-flowing football.

“But we knew we would dig in, be determined, make tackles and win headers. All of those things happened.

“We knew it would be a battle. To be fair to Motherwell, they go long early and hem you into your half.

“They put us under a bit of pressure without really creating. Curtis Main’s chance in the second half was maybe their only real one and I heard their manager saying he should’ve done better with it.

“But as the game went on we grew into it and passed the ball more. I think a draw would have been fair because there wasn’t a lot of good football played.

“But to win it in the last minute is always a nice feeling. I thought the back three especially were outstanding.

“We defended well as a team and it was great to get the three points in the end.”

Following this weekend’s St Mirren clash, Saints hit the road to take on Livingston on Wednesday night.

Foster said: “Livingston are flying and are coming off the back of a 4-0 win against Dundee. The good thing about this league is that there are no easy games.

“While the next two games are ones we feel we should be winning, nothing is set in stone.”

© Reuters

Tommy Wright was left disappointed when he missed out on the chance to work with Oran Kearney during his early years in management but he is looking to pile on the agony for the St Mirren boss on Saturday.

Kearney left Ballymena immediately after Wright took over as boss in 2005 but their management careers have had a number of similarities – both cut their teeth at Limavady before eventually arriving in Scotland’s top flight, Kearney via a cup triumph at Coleraine.

Wright is the longest-serving manager in the Ladbrokes Premiership while Kearney is trying to find his feet in difficult circumstances after losing four games in a row following an opening draw against Celtic.

St Johnstone manager Wright has told his compatriot that such runs are not uncommon in the league but he is aiming to make it five in a row at McDiarmid Park on Saturday.

The former Northern Ireland goalkeeper said: “When I took over at Ballymena he was coming out of contract and he had agreed to go to Linfield. I tried to persuade him to stay but I couldn’t. It was understandable, he was going to the biggest club in the country.

“But he’s done extremely well, particularly the last two years. But this is a different ball game for him, he’s coming to a different environment and he’s going to need people around him to help him and support him.

“It’s a difficult job for him to go in and take. They have obviously not started well, getting rid of a manager (Alan Stubbs) that early.

“Oran’s got a good background in football, a very good player and done well in management part-time, a similar route to me, I managed in the Irish League as well.

“The people around him will be important to him because you get runs like that in our league. Our run until we won at Motherwell was similar. It happens outside the top five clubs – every club experiences runs where they go four or five games picking up very few points.

“So he’ll need everyone around him at the club to get through it. I’ve been there, I know what it’s like.

“It’s maybe a new experience for him, when he was at Coleraine he was quite successful for the last few seasons, so he won’t have experienced four or five defeats in a row. But my job will be to make it even harder for him.”

3 hours ago, spankin_panda said:

I agree! 1 point would be good. 

When I cast my mind back, even when we weve been winning div one or doing well, St Johnston have always been a bogey team. I remember back when George Boyle (O'Boyle) we seemed to take a few thumping's. 

Anyway, lets hope we can play like we did first half against Killie and you never know....

Back in the day when it was only 2 points for a win and only 10 teams in the top league ( if i remember correctly) the fakes finished bottom with the worst points tally...something crazy like 9

That season they took 6 from us :angry:

( i think)

38 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:
© Reuters

Tommy Wright was left disappointed when he missed out on the chance to work with Oran Kearney during his early years in management but he is looking to pile on the agony for the St Mirren boss on Saturday.

Kearney left Ballymena immediately after Wright took over as boss in 2005 but their management careers have had a number of similarities – both cut their teeth at Limavady before eventually arriving in Scotland’s top flight, Kearney via a cup triumph at Coleraine.

Wright is the longest-serving manager in the Ladbrokes Premiership while Kearney is trying to find his feet in difficult circumstances after losing four games in a row following an opening draw against Celtic.

St Johnstone manager Wright has told his compatriot that such runs are not uncommon in the league but he is aiming to make it five in a row at McDiarmid Park on Saturday.

The former Northern Ireland goalkeeper said: “When I took over at Ballymena he was coming out of contract and he had agreed to go to Linfield. I tried to persuade him to stay but I couldn’t. It was understandable, he was going to the biggest club in the country.

“But he’s done extremely well, particularly the last two years. But this is a different ball game for him, he’s coming to a different environment and he’s going to need people around him to help him and support him.

“It’s a difficult job for him to go in and take. They have obviously not started well, getting rid of a manager (Alan Stubbs) that early.

“Oran’s got a good background in football, a very good player and done well in management part-time, a similar route to me, I managed in the Irish League as well.

“The people around him will be important to him because you get runs like that in our league. Our run until we won at Motherwell was similar. It happens outside the top five clubs – every club experiences runs where they go four or five games picking up very few points.

“So he’ll need everyone around him at the club to get through it. I’ve been there, I know what it’s like.

“It’s maybe a new experience for him, when he was at Coleraine he was quite successful for the last few seasons, so he won’t have experienced four or five defeats in a row. But my job will be to make it even harder for him.”

Wrighty at the old mind games there.."dont worry about losing again, its the people around you who should be supporting you's fault"

1 hour ago, saintargyll said:

Back in the day when it was only 2 points for a win and only 10 teams in the top league ( if i remember correctly) the fakes finished bottom with the worst points tally...something crazy like 9

( i think)

They finished on 11 points in the 75/76 season.They never took any points from us as we were in different leagues.

2 hours ago, saintargyll said:

( i think)

Too much sheep shagging obviously has long term effects on your memory. :lol:

1 hour ago, HSS said:

They finished on 11 points in the 75/76 season.They never took any points from us as we were in different leagues.

Anyhow, hopefully Ferdinand is fit as he seems to be the calming influence in our defence.

If he's fit and we get off to a decent start we can get something however if we lose the first goal I fear we will end up with nothing. 

3 hours ago, saintargyll said:

( i think)

They took 7 out of 8 83-84 when they finished bottom