St Johnstone V St Mirren 27.10.18

St.Ricky

Whoever sanctioned a 75K signing on fee for Heaton should be held accountable and consider their position. Guy is the invisible man, we dont pay that kind of money for (duff) players.

the person responsible did lose his job.

Board should be backing the person they appointed and have full trust in them.

They have made 1 great appointment and 1 bad appointment.

Il wait till next season to decide if their 3rd appointment as a board is any good or not because that’s what the manager deserves having inherited a shambles of a squad for this season

Utter gash, nothing, goalie apart, in any department.

Could have played all night and still not scored.

Made St Johnstone look good, and they aren't.

Should/could have been 5 or 6 and that says it all.

No point in singling out any players for a poor performance, astoundingly poor all over the fecking park.

Hate this stadium, soulless but at least they have a team that has some effort, some physicality and some skill, we have next to nothing.

Our manager seems incapable of getting anything out of these players, a worry with just over three quarters of the season to go.

I could say the manager and players should be ashamed but I fear this is our level, bottom feeders. 

Edited by faraway saint

Reality check for us today with a struggling St Johnstone side giving us a pumping. What has struck me this season is that we are not able to compete with the physical side of the game ........ brushed aside way too easily all over the park, literally men against boys.

Last season’s back 4 which had its faults is way better than what we have now. We badly miss Gary Mac’s dominance in the air and I feel we are there for the taking down both flanks. It’s hard to see where our next win is coming from and we could easily get detached at the bottom with our only hope being that Dundee remain as pish as us. Fu#ken depressing after 18 months of hope but hey ho that is what St Mirren do to you. Can only hope that Jan window sees an upturn in our fortunes and we are still in a position to salvage something from what has been a clusterf#ck of a season so far.

Utter gash, nothing goalie apart, in any department.
Could have played all night and still not scored.
Made St Johnstone look good, and they aren't.
Should/could have been 5 or 6 and that says it all.
No point in singling out any players for a poor performance, astoundingly poor all over the fecking park.
Hate this stadium, soulless but at least they have a team that has some effort, some physicality and some skill, we have next to nothing.
Our manager seems incapable of getting anything out of these players, a worry with just over three quarters of the season to go.
I could say the manager and players should be ashamed but I fear this is our level, bottom feeders. 

Agree. Samson gets degraded heavily by so many other fans and at least one of ours but for me if our other ten players could match his skill and determination then we'd be at least able to compete. For what it's worth Baird at least competes too.
The rest of the players need to raise their level....big time.

2 minutes ago, Hambud said:

Agree. Samson gets degraded heavily by so many other fans and at least one of ours but for me if our other ten players could match his skill and determination then we'd be at least able to compete. 

He was the CLEAN SHEET KING last season.

Very few this Season.

He must be getting worse.

You have to agree ?

Agree. Samson gets degraded heavily by so many other fans and at least one of ours but for me if our other ten players could match his skill and determination then we'd be at least able to compete. For what it's worth Baird at least competes too. The rest of the players need to raise their level....big time.

If our Player of the Season vote was tomorrow, Samson would win it.

He’s not been great, but he’s pretty much our only player who’s reputation hasn’t went backwards this season.

Example, some people thought S McGinn and C Smith were up to it in the Premiership....

45 minutes ago, northstbuddie said:

In how many games in the Championship did we dominate possession - not many would be my guess.

The trend continues in SPFL with Ross' runt, Stubbs' starlets and Kearney's crew.

OK has inherited a disaster of a squad and not all of the blame should fall on AS. JR should be accountable for the car crash of a squad we had been left with before AS arrived.

However, we cannot kid ourselves, the signs were there when we were "running away" with the Championship.

Although JR signed lots of duds during his time he always found enough decent players for our level to improve the team. I think he would have made 2 or 3 good signings in the summer on top of keeping the feel good factor and confidence up in the remnant of last year's squad... and he'd have made 3 or 4 Ok to meh signings too. Hippolyte, Donati and Mullen all seemed like strange signings to make when we were looking like being in with a shout of making the premiership this season, so he could stand accused of short-sighted signings. You might also argue he left a weaker squad than he inherited (Kyle McAllister, Jason Naismith, Stevie Mallan, Lewis Morgan all sold during his reign) although you could counter that by saying he signed enough decent players on our budget.   Ross left before the transfer window opened and after he had told some out of contract players they weren't being offered new deals. He'd cleared out last year's squad of players he didn't see as starting XI players or squad members and had a list of transfer targets which had been scouted.

Reality check for us today with a struggling St Johnstone side giving us a pumping. What has struck me this season is that we are not able to compete with the physical side of the game ........ brushed aside way too easily all over the park, literally men against boys.
Last season’s back 4 which had its faults is way better than what we have now. We badly miss Gary Mac’s dominance in the air and I feel we are there for the taking down both flanks. It’s hard to see where our next win is coming from and we could easily get detached at the bottom with our only hope being that Dundee remain as pish as us. Fu#ken depressing after 18 months of hope but hey ho that is what St Mirren do to you. Can only hope that Jan window sees an upturn in our fortunes and we are still in a position to salvage something from what has been a clusterf#ck of a season so far.
In my opinion the back four last season wasn't great and Gary Mack only played 14 games so he wasn't really a major part of last seasons championship team.

Today the back four weren't horrendous they were sitting ducks because our midfield and front line is honking. While being hard to beat helps stops us losing points scoring goals helps gain them. We need to improve in midfield and in front of goal asap.

It is very depressing going to see the Buddies these days.

In how many games in the Championship did we dominate possession - not many would be my guess.
The trend continues in SPFL with Ross' runt, Stubbs' starlets and Kearney's crew.
OK has inherited a disaster of a squad and not all of the blame should fall on AS. JR should be accountable for the car crash of a squad we had been left with before AS arrived.
However, we cannot kid ourselves, the signs were there when we were "running away" with the Championship.
The difference is JR would have managed changing the squad, dor one reason or the other AS wasn't granted the same opportunity.

You could say he needed to earn the opportunity but for some reason he couldn't keep the squad on side.

Although JR signed lots of duds during his time he always found enough decent players for our level to improve the team. I think he would have made 2 or 3 good signings in the summer on top of keeping the feel good factor and confidence up in the remnant of last year's squad... and he'd have made 3 or 4 Ok to meh signings too. Hippolyte, Donati and Mullen all seemed like strange signings to make when we were looking like being in with a shout of making the premiership this season, so he could stand accused of short-sighted signings. You might also argue he left a weaker squad than he inherited (Kyle McAllister, Jason Naismith, Stevie Mallan, Lewis Morgan all sold during his reign) although you could counter that by saying he signed enough decent players on our budget.   Ross left before the transfer window opened and after he had told some out of contract players they weren't being offered new deals. He'd cleared out last year's squad of players he didn't see as starting XI players or squad members and had a list of transfer targets which had been scouted.

I would certainly agree that the squad now is worse than the one when Alex Rae departed. Imagine how delighted Jack Ross was with inheriting a Championship team with Mallan and Morgan in it [emoji7]. Two of the best young players in the country right now, what a youth system we used to have before Davie Longwell left.

Was watching the highlights of the last time we won at McDiarmid Park in the lead up to this game.

Jason Naismith scored a stunner set up by Sean Kelly. That side also had Kenny McLean for half a season and John McGinn for a full season. Another four Longwell products who have since went on to bigger and better things.

That team was relegated in 12th. That 13/14 team was clearly much stronger than this side...

1 minute ago, TopCat said:

I would certainly agree that the squad now is worse than the one when Alex Rae departed. Imagine how delighted Jack Ross was with inheriting a Championship team with Mallan and Morgan in it emoji7.png. Two of the best young players in the country right now, what a youth system we used to have before Davie Longwell left.

Was watching the highlights of the last time we won at McDiarmid Park in the lead up to this game.

Jason Naismith scored a stunner set up by Sean Kelly. That side also had Kenny McLean for half a season and John McGinn for a full season. Another four Longwell products who have since went on to bigger and better things.

That team was relegated in 12th. That 13/14 team was clearly much stronger than this side...

Sean Kelly? The one that’s playing the level below us right now?

You can look through rose tinted specs at that time, but there were also massive flaws; Ball and Marwood to name but a few. The squad was shite.

The current squad isn’t very good. At least at this level. However, that was blindingly obvious when we came up, especially losing Morgan, Reilly and Davies. We somehow, in a way in which only St Mirren seem to do, managed to make our squad worse. 

Sean Kelly? The one that’s playing the level below us right now?

You can look through rose tinted specs at that time, but there were also massive flaws; Ball and Marwood to name but a few. The squad was shite.

The current squad isn’t very good. At least at this level. However, that was blindingly obvious when we came up, especially losing Morgan, Reilly and Davies. We somehow, in a way in which only St Mirren seem to do, managed to make our squad worse. 

He’s playing for a team who’s riding high at the top of the Championship and has played in the Scottish Premiership and English League 1 since he left us. I certainly wouldn’t fancy us against County just now, would you?

That squad wasn’t very good and deserved to finish 12th. My point was simply that it was better than what we have just now. Do you think this one is better..? If so, why?

If only this team had midfielders like Goodwin, J McGinn and Mallan...

1 minute ago, TopCat said:

He’s playing for a team who’s riding high at the top of the Championship and has played in the Scottish Premiership and English League 1 since he left us. I certainly wouldn’t fancy us against County just now, would you?

That squad wasn’t very good and deserved to finish 12th. My point was that it was better than we have just now. Do you think this one is better..? If so, why?

If only this team had midfielders like Goodwin, J McGinn and Mallan...

I would say this one is slightly better. Just. But they are both shite.

The only surprise is that anyone should be surprised that we are in this position. We kept players who were never going to be good enough at this level and signed players who are even worse than them!!!

I said earlier in the season (after the lucky Dundee win) we would not win another game in the league this year. I have seen nothing to change my mind. The Stubbs appointment was a disaster and the people who appointed him have got to take full responsibility. This team would struggle in the Championship never mind the SPL.

Sad doesn't even  begin to describe how I feel after the 'great escape' and Championship winning season.

It’s easy to blame our midfield but all good sides are built on a solid back four which we haven’t had all season. As a team we aren’t playing as a unit and as such our defence keeps dropping deeper which in turn gives the midfield a much bigger area to cover.  We are losing on average over 2 goals per game so let’s try and stop leaking goals so that we at least give ourselves a chance.

I would say this one is slightly better. Just. But they are both shite.

In what area?

The only area you can even make a case for this team is the defence. Would you rather have Tesselaar, Naismith, McAusland and Kelly or Hodson, Baird, Jones and P McGinn? My money’s very much with the former.

The forwards were rubbish then, but at least we had a proven goal scorer at this level in Thompson (who had just racked up three 15 goal seasons on the bounce but sadly spent most of the season injured, and that’s why we went down). Now we have no one with a track record of goals in this league. Are Mullen and Jackson capable of getting Thommo-esque figures? All available signs point to no, no case to make.

The midfield isn’t even debatable. J McGinn, Goodwin, Osbourne, Mallan >>>>>>>>> S McGinn, Flynn, Willock, McShane.

Guest TPAFKATS
Condition tonight described as critical so looks like you've got what you hoped for. Hope you are proud of your post.
I've no way of knowing whether Ford Prefect is proud of the post or not, I do however understand the context of Ford's post.

21 minutes ago, TopCat said:

In what area?

The only area you can even make a case for this team is the defence. Would you rather have Tesselaar, Naismith, McAusland and Kelly or Hodson, Baird, Jones and P McGinn? My money’s very much with the former.

The forwards were rubbish then, but at least we had a proven goal scorer at this level in Thompson (who had just racked up three 15 goal seasons on the bounce but sadly spent most of the season injured, and that’s why we went down). Now we have no one with a track record of goals in this league. Are Mullen and Jackson capable of getting Thommo-esque figures? All available signs point to no, no case to make.

The midfield isn’t even debatable. J McGinn, Goodwin, Osbourne, Mallan >>>>>>>>> S McGinn, Flynn, Willock, McShane.

Sum of the parts is slightly better.

Anyway, it’s like comparing a shite after and Indian and a Mexican. They both sting.