Top Five Beers !

Isle Of Bute Saint

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ba-da-bum Ba-da-bum!

Right, don't know what yous doing but I'm off to the pub to try all those beers that according to your top fives are so damned good.

any excuse hey :rolleyes:

My top 5 is all about Calsberg specials, PM me when you've had a couple. :P

How about the five worst beers:

1. Iceberg

2. Viking - although there was the free can with LD offer - very popular in Gr'n'ck

3. Tennent's Super - the toast of Italy - Morrocan dope breakthrough. :blink:

4. McEwan's Lager - Some decent tunes in the 80's ads but pish all the same

5. Guinness Extra Cold - the domain of the ultimate pub fanny :rolleyes:

5. Guinness Extra Cold - the domain of the ultimate pub fanny  :rolleyes:

A wee bit harsh there Sid.

Anarchy Ranch knows what hes on about, Sol and Miller both right up there in my book, Sol inparticular perfect beside a pool on holiday.

Harviston bitter and twisted's quite good and just for the name "Big Tosser" Canny beat it

Edited by bill

1. Samual Adams - Dunno why it's so difficult to get over here....by far the best lager in America, made in Boston.

2. Kronenburg 1664 - try the new Decco if you want wasted......either that or the Cru, the one with the shot at the top of the bottle......the shots minging but a couple of them and you won't remember much more of your night. Also try the Kronenburg Ice if you can find it in a pub....dunno if its cause I was wasted already but that stuff was really nice.

3. Stella - Memories of holidays in Belgium......actually why the f**k do I drink this ???

4. Miller Pilsner - Dunno why anyone would think this was American pish. It's brewed in Edinburgh by Scottish Courage....as it Miller Genuine Draft....

5. Budweiser. Doesn't taste the same in the UK for some reason. The brewer had a place at Sea World in Florida....it was a roasting hot day, well over 110 degrees, and there it was, a building where you could get all the Bud you wanted free of charge.....

Edited by Stuart Dickson

St.Sid...Five worst

I've never heard of Viking but it would have to go some to be worse than Skol - Did anyone drink that ?

1. Skol

2. Castlemine XXXX

3. Tennents Anything.

4. McEwans

5. Coors

Stuart, How can you do a list of worst beers without mentioning Ushers? It was the most honking beer EVER. :blink:

Guest Dennybairn

2. Kronenburg 1664 - try the new Decco if you want wasted......either that or the Cru, the one with the shot at the top of the bottle......the shots minging but a couple of them and you won't remember much more of your night. Also try the Kronenburg Ice if you can find it in a pub....dunno if its cause I was wasted already but that stuff was really nice.

A brief description of Cru

"the slow brewed 6% ABV beer is made with Strisselspalt hops - the caviar of hops - to achieve a deep golden liquid with a velvety smooth texture and a stronger, more sophisticated taste."

Deco

"a premium packaged drink combination of Kronenbourg 1664 lager and absinthe spirit, presented in a stylish pack which comprises a 25ml container of chilled absinthe attached to a 275ml bottle of La Premiere Biere Francaise" " At 45% ABV, the absinthe "

4. Miller Pilsner - Dunno why anyone would think this was American pish. It's brewed in Edinburgh by Scottish Courage....as it Miller Genuine Draft....

Miller is actually brewed in the main in Manchester and Berkshire, Edinburgh brew some of it but the volumes aren't particularly high.

Ushers was possibly the most mingin beer of all time. It was eventually discontinued in the early-mid 70's due to "consumer resistance" and re-appeared under the name Lorimers, which was advertised on Radio Clyde by Kenny Dalglish and Sandy Jardine. The adverts were as bad as the beer and the whole shebang shut up shop a few years later. Sadly missed. Not.

And what of Dryboroughs ?

It was advertised famously with an ad showing a dim Scots Roy Cropper look-a-like heading off to London to make his fortune, only to return days later with the plaintive lament that "they dinnae huv Dryboroughs doon there" - which prompted a crap joke about a Scottish rabbit doing similar but returning because of flooded accomodation, as I recall.

And it tasted of pish, too. :green

Reidy, underage drinking was rife in Hillington, but I'd have been 7 when this Ushers was poisoning you. I remember Dryburghs though, did't they sponsor that pre season tournament in Scotland.

Ushers was definitely the WORST lager / heavy on sale when I was a teenager. They tried to re-market it as Lorimers, but forgot to change the recipe. Dryburghs was also disgusting, but Ushers was in a league of its own.

Guest Soeziegoezie
Have booked a return to Brussels through the Ryanair 1p flights offer...with taxes etc came to £19.19 return.

Am really looking forward to sampling some of those wacky Belgian beers...and nicking a few glasses  :shockaroony

When in Brussels... go straight to Antwerp! It's only a wee trainride away and believe me, it's a much nicer place to visit then Brussels. You can ask ànyone who's ever been there. And they've got one of Belgium's finest brewery called "De Koninck" where you can get guided tours and - most importantly - have a few (or more) "Bollekes".

www.dekoninck.be