Driving in Paisley.

Qarsaan

19 minutes ago, Qarsaan said:

My first time driving in Paisley for a good few years. Couldn't believe the condition of some roads, even the main ones.

How on earth have we allowed this to happen?

Cuts in public service budgets and poor quality repairs by contracted companies.

21 minutes ago, Qarsaan said:

My first time driving in Paisley for a good few years. Couldn't believe the condition of some roads, even the main ones.

It's like that all over the country it's called austerity.  Spend here you can't spend there even though we all pay road tax well the ones that drive. 

10 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

You know this how? 

Not like that here, our roads, overall, are more than decent. 

Spot on. Its down to the Individual Authorities. Worked up near Elgin a few years back and the roads were awesome.....

Too much money spent trying to get City of Culture!!! When the roads ,  High Street and parts of towncentre are falling apart   .....

12 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

You know this how? 

Not like that here, our roads, overall, are more than decent. 

Roads are good on the island also. It comes down to volume of traffic = maintenance. Grass and public hedging were cut regular over here it has now dropped to two cuts a year. Austerity plays a big part. 

2 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Roads are good on the island also. It comes down to volume of traffic = maintenance. Grass and public hedging were cut regular over here it has now dropped to two cuts a year. Austerity plays a big part. 

I'm not denying cuts to budgets don't have any effect but, as DJ indicates, it's down to the management and decisions by the local authority.

I agree that  the volume of traffic is a major factor but the standards of roads can still be maintained.

16 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

Spot on. Its down to the Individual Authorities. Worked up near Elgin a few years back and the roads were awesome.....

Too much money spent trying to get City of Culture!!! When the roads ,  High Street and parts of towncentre are falling apart   .....

The council have just spent a fortune resurfacing a lot of the main roads.

8 hours ago, Qarsaan said:

Thank god for that. I thought there was something wrong with my suspension. 

8 hours ago, DougJamie said:

Absolute bollocks. I have an email where I was complaining about the state of the roads which  I sent to the council in 2012 ,years before city of culture bids was even considered .  How do you explained the state of roads in other Council areas ? 

We are paying the price now for decades of lack of investment in our road networks by successive governments, both local and national of various hues. 

The roads in the Paisley area have been bad for as long as l can recall . Then there was the harsh winters around 2010-2011 and that made them really bad . They have been playing catch  up ever since.  They have some seemingly irrational steps where they resurface half a road and then come back about a year later and do the other half . The other longstanding daft procedure is whereby they resurface a road then some other mob come and dig a hole in it , patch and make a right pigs ear of the patch , one winter later that bit of road is f**ked again . .

Also , there should be some clause that the contractors have to agree to that means they have to pay another contractor to come and fix the manholes that sink a couple of weeks after resurfacing

11 hours ago, saintnextlifetime said:

The roads in the Paisley area have been bad for as long as l can recall . Then there was the harsh winters around 2010-2011 and that made them really bad . They have been playing catch  up ever since.  They have some seemingly irrational steps where they resurface half a road and then come back about a year later and do the other half . The other longstanding daft procedure is whereby they resurface a road then some other mob come and dig a hole in it , patch and make a right pigs ear of the patch , one winter later that bit of road is f**ked again . .

Also , there should be some clause that the contractors have to agree to that means they have to pay another contractor to come and fix the manholes that sink a couple of weeks after resurfacing

The Germans lay their pipes running along side of the roads so when maintenance needs done both sides of the road are open. Too clever for us to work that one out.

14 hours ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

Absolute bollocks. I have an email where I was complaining about the state of the roads which  I sent to the council in 2012 ,years before city of culture bids was even considered .  How do you explained the state of roads in other Council areas ? 

We are paying the price now for decades of lack of investment in our road networks by successive governments, both local and national of various hues. 

Ok I shall adapt my post so you can stop having a stroke

The money we wasted on the City of Culture bid could have been put towards the roads

All Good :thumbsup

Seems the Germans aren't that great after all..............................

2. Re: Road Construction- where to find updated road information
28 Jan 2017, 10:45

The ADAC road atlas (in book form) actually specifically marks sections of autobahn as subject to regular delays due to traffic jams. However, when I drove right across Germany from mid-west to north-east some 18 months ago we lost around 3 hours in total to traffic jams - but only one of those jams (on the east side of Hamburg) was at a location marked in the ADAC atlas (and that particular location actually had permanently-installed signs warning of "STAU" = traffic jam).

If you look at the on-line ADAC map the large number of work-sites marked will just put you off driving at all!

Edited: 28 January 2017, 10:45

40 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Seems the Germans aren't that great after all..............................

2. Re: Road Construction- where to find updated road information
28 Jan 2017, 10:45

The ADAC road atlas (in book form) actually specifically marks sections of autobahn as subject to regular delays due to traffic jams. However, when I drove right across Germany from mid-west to north-east some 18 months ago we lost around 3 hours in total to traffic jams - but only one of those jams (on the east side of Hamburg) was at a location marked in the ADAC atlas (and that particular location actually had permanently-installed signs warning of "STAU" = traffic jam).

If you look at the on-line ADAC map the large number of work-sites marked will just put you off driving at all!

Edited: 28 January 2017, 10:45

Not happened to me and I have driven in Germany many times. 

I have to say my experience of German roads has been like most of Germany’s transport . very positive, they do seem to have the knack of fixing things without everywhere grinding to a halt . Mind you , they did seem to be doing a helluva lot more maintenance than us , gulley cleaning , drains emptied and spot issues seemed to be dealt with pretty damn quick .

1 hour ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

I have to say my experience of German roads has been like most of Germany’s transport . very positive, they do seem to have the knack of fixing things without everywhere grinding to a halt . Mind you , they did seem to be doing a helluva lot more maintenance than us , gulley cleaning , drains emptied and spot issues seemed to be dealt with pretty damn quick .

Very much my experience also.  Been on a section of the  auatoban doing 120mph with a Porsche flying past me disappearing into the distance this in the day when sections of the auatoban had no speed limit. 

On 10/18/2018 at 10:51 AM, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

It's like that all over the country it's called austerity.  Spend here you can't spend there even though we all pay road tax well the ones that drive. 

Unfortunately the road tax(officially vehicle excise duty) is not spent on road maintenance but is part of general taxation.

"Motoring taxation is made up of two elements: vehicle excise duty (VED) – a tax on ownership; and fuel duty – a tax on use. Although historically the road fund tax was considered a hypothecated tax to pay for the building and maintenance of the road network, this has not been so since 1937 and it is now a general revenue raising tax." (Extract from House of Commons briefing paper, November 2017.)

11 minutes ago, smcc said:

Unfortunately the road tax(officially vehicle excise duty) is not spent on road maintenance but is part of general taxation.

"Motoring taxation is made up of two elements: vehicle excise duty (VED) – a tax on ownership; and fuel duty – a tax on use. Although historically the road fund tax was considered a hypothecated tax to pay for the building and maintenance of the road network, this has not been so since 1937 and it is now a general revenue raising tax." (Extract from House of Commons briefing paper, November 2017.)

Did not know that so thank you , suppose it should not come as a surprise though.