St Mirren v Motherwell Wed 31st Oct

faraway saint

8 hours ago, Gordon Urquhart said:

Too many harsh on S, McGinn. Plenty of effort from him and he does care, cant say the same for many others.

Disagree Gordon I'm afraid, I understand loss of form but to single him out as the "one" putting in effort is nonsense, he is at least as culpable as everyone else

21 minutes ago, Wendy Saintss said:

What this shows is the amazing job that Gus Macpherson did to get us promoted AND keep us up the following season AND establish us as a top flight club.

We should just make him manager now. He’s already on the payroll so just do it.

Was thinking the same

Story of Saints lives is that we never truely know when it is good bar the actual tangiable successes ......

Yes it was hard going under Gus but it was survival , this is why god knows why we think we are a top 6 club. That was 35 years ago, times have moved on.....

We need some strong men in tis team, mentally and physically , a Goodwin or 3 .

Maybe that is the Plan B, because its so obvious that with Stubbs bringing in idiots , this task is beyound Oran at this stage in his career...

Nice guy, but hey ho they can also come last :blink:

2 hours ago, linwood-bud said:

When the senior players are consistently poor, you throw in the young boys.

Erahon and McPherson at centre midfield on Saturday please

Unfortunately it wouldn't solve anything.  

Every midfield is packed with physical guys - some of who can play a bit as well - and the youngsters aren't going to do any better a job at standing up to those guys.

The middle of the park is where teams earn the right to play and win matches. Every other team does it better than us.  

Shinnie (Aberdeen), Power, Dicker (Kilmarnock), Brown, Ntcham (Celtic), Mackinnon (Hamilton), etc.   I don't even know the names of the players that did it for Motherwell last night but you can see that they're there - breaking up play aggressively, committing fouls where necessary, and act as powerful forward ball carriers. 

We don't do any of that. 

From now until Jan (at least) we should adopt the tactics we played against against Celtic and try and shitfest a draw in every game by playing 11 men behind the ball Especially as we have no forward line and no creative midfielders and no-one willing to take responsibility.

Why was Baird on the bench against one of the most physical forward lines in the league - BIG mistake. We keep hearing Jones prefers defensive mid yet hasn't been played there once. Get him in there now and get Baird in beside Ferdinand. We need a ball winning midfielder urgently so lets try him there and if no good back down the road. Willock shows in flashes he has something get him In the middle with McGinn.  Hammill looks like a shirking, disinterested wage thief to me but we can't discard everyone and he looks no worse in that dept than a few other - motivation (or lack of) is a massive factor.  Edwards at least looks motivated and at the moment that is enough to keep him in the team - that's how bad things are. We need 5 in the middle and Jackson up top as neither Smith or Mullen are good enough so lets just play the one guy who might be.  Solid spine (attempt at) with Jones, McGinn and Willock. Edwards doing his running around one side and take your pick from the bunch left (Hammill with a rocket up his backside from management) on the other (where's Jamieson gone) ???

S McGinn looked as if he cared?

Really?

I love him and will forever be grateful that he saved us from relegation to division one...

But he has been dreadful this season, was shocking tonight, and his body language is dreadful.

If he is a leader then no wonder we are struggling as he is leading us in the wrong direction with his on field huffs and hissy fits.

Go on Stephen... Step up to the plate and make me eat my words...

Be the player you can be...

Not the Halloween ghost dressed up as a player that I saw tonight!

Was looking at ‘Top Bin’ McGinn last night. He’s clearly not technically good enough to be a goal threat at this level anymore. He was a relatively regular goal scorer and maker in the Championship against weaker players. He has 0 goals or assists in 11 Premiership appearances this season.

You then think ok Stephen, you’re not up to it at this level, but at least put yourself about. Throw in a few crunching tackles, do the simple stuff, battle a bit, kick some people. He doesn’t even do that.

He just strolls around in a huff barely talking to anyone or doing anything. Leader? He’s the wettest St Mirren captain I’ve ever seen.

I would say I hope he and Smith and the like leave in January, but they’re good Championship players, and that’s where we will be playing in a few months. So maybe we should keep them.

What this shows is the amazing job that Gus Macpherson did to get us promoted AND keep us up the following season AND establish us as a top flight club.

We should just make him manager now. He’s already on the payroll so just do it.

Would anyone be surprised if Gus was the manager by New Year’s Day?

I certainly wouldn’t be.

17 minutes ago, TopCat said:

He just strolls around in a huff barely talking to anyone or doing anything. Leader? He’s the wettest St Mirren captain I’ve ever seen.

I think the perfect example of the above is after their second goal McGinn (and everyone else) trudged back to the halfway line to wait on their players getting back into position. Not one word was uttered by McGinn, no questions asked by the captain to his teammates, no rallying cry of 'come on lads'. Nothing at all, he never said ONE word. After a few minutes Anton Ferdinand piped up with some form of encouragement but nobody looked the slightest bit arsed.

That was the moment i knew this team have chucked it for the season. Disgraceful

1 hour ago, TopCat said:

Would anyone be surprised if Gus was the manager by New Year’s Day?

I certainly wouldn’t be.

Maybe this Technical director pish was a shallow a ruse as it now looks?

" No we didnt bring Gus in to replace Oran, it just so happened that when Oran walked, Gus was already in, knew the players, staff and board, and lets face it.. he's got the T-shirt!"

And with Nicholl joining in a few weeks Gus has got his experienced right hand man in waiting.

it's just too easy to be negative right now.  Wallowing in depression and recycling old arguments will do nothing to change things.  Against Motherwell we were second best.  We were outmuscled, outworked and as a consequence,  outplayed.  Despite committing only 6 fouls (or thereabouts)  we had two bookings and a sending off.  Motherwell committed 15 or 16 fouls, many of them preventing potential breaks by Saints.  Stephen McGinn must be hurting right now and perhaps full of self doubt about his actions and form.  He alone can't carry the team.  Clearly OK can only work with the players he has so I will continue to cut him some slack until play resumes after the January break.  Of the three players he has brought in,  I like what I see of Ferdinand and Jackson so he can recognise a player.  Our other Newbe still has a bit to prove in my book.  Capable of putting in a decent cross and taking a man on but needs to do both more often.  Would also like to see him tracking back more often.  

2 hours ago, Maboza said:

Unfortunately it wouldn't solve anything.  

Every midfield is packed with physical guys - some of who can play a bit as well - and the youngsters aren't going to do any better a job at standing up to those guys.

The middle of the park is where teams earn the right to play and win matches. Every other team does it better than us.  

Shinnie (Aberdeen), Power, Dicker (Kilmarnock), Brown, Ntcham (Celtic), Mackinnon (Hamilton), etc.   I don't even know the names of the players that did it for Motherwell last night but you can see that they're there - breaking up play aggressively, committing fouls where necessary, and act as powerful forward ball carriers. 

We don't do any of that. 

If you’ve watched Erahon play in the youth/reserve games you’ll see he is exactly that type of player, small in stature but strong, reminds me of John McGinn at that age.

At the very least they would bring much needed energy and be able to learn on the job.

If they can’t cut it, then there’s no harm done between now and January anyway.

8 minutes ago, munoz said:

Gus in charge by January 1st :lol:. Heard it all now.

Exactly given he would have to work with almost exactly what he has now due to the rest of any money left being spunked on yet another pay off. Would Gus do any better with this bunch - NO, Pep would struggle with this squad !!!

I see it mentioned elsewhere that should we lose on Saturday it would constitute the worst run by any club in SPL history , is this correct ? If it is true , and with no wins in sight and a probable heavy defeat at Dens coming up , will Oran hang about till January ? Another couple of months in the firing line ? I'm beginning to fear it will be Gus and Jimmy Nic in charge by then !

Exactly given he would have to work with almost exactly what he has now due to the rest of any money left being spunked on yet another pay off. Would Gus do any better with this bunch - NO, Pep would struggle with this squad !!!

Disagree with that.

A good manager would be able to organise this team and make us hard to beat.

We are the absolute opposite of hard to beat just now.

Not only are our players rubbish, but they’re also poorly organised and unmotivated.

17 minutes ago, billyg said:

I see it mentioned elsewhere that should we lose on Saturday it would constitute the worst run by any club in SPL history , is this correct ? If it is true , and with no wins in sight and a probable heavy defeat at Dens coming up , will Oran hang about till January ? Another couple of months in the firing line ? I'm beginning to fear it will be Gus and Jimmy Nic in charge by then !

That's a sad stat to read (if accurate).

I think the board will back him through Jan, outwith that, you never know about the latter assumption..... 'friends in high places' an aww that.

Edited by spankin_panda