St Mirren v Motherwell Wed 31st Oct

faraway saint

33 minutes ago, Hambud said:

I know I was on moaning about Danny looking for fouls too much after saturday but who knows what the best approach is now.

We used to watch bigger Higdon, Thommo, Sutton type guys try and stay on their feet and give as good as they got but ref's would blow and give fouls against us.

It used to infuriate me when you'd see big opposition strikers go down like a ton of bricks and they get fouls given their way however our guys would get penalised for trying to stay up.

I quote you primarily to get the thread back on topic of the game and NOT THE F -in pies....  BUT

Would it no longer infuriate you if it was still happening?

We are playing in the big boys league now - we need to be a whole lot tougher, meaner, cuter and more successful at picking up 3 points and 1 point in games...

38 minutes ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

Y

Yes you quoted the discounts yourself. I was commenting on the fact you called them good. An ST holder is paying for a very bog standard meal and drinks. I can get better food off a full choice menu at many places in town. You correctly point out that it does occasionally sell out but just a fiver or so off the cost of a match ticket on a Wednesday night isn't exactly a sparkling offer.

Ayrshire.  it's a start.  More to be done at every level to both give good value and to bring in as much as possible for the club.  I have been to hospitality and I guess you have too since you are commenting on it.  You do pay a premium price but it's not for the food and drink.  It's for being there in "the inner sanctum" if you like.  Same goes for the1877 Club where,  as an example,  Tony F came in and read out the team lines before the game.  In simple value for drinks and food terms there are without doubt better places to be.  That is the challenge.  Improve the quality at each Spending Level and increase the numbers participating in each.  Some other clubs have ideas wean perhaps adopt, adapt and improve. 

I quote you primarily to get the thread back on topic of the game and NOT THE F -in pies....  BUT
Would it no longer infuriate you if it was still happening?
We are playing in the big boys league now - we need to be a whole lot tougher, meaner, cuter and more successful at picking up 3 points and 1 point in games...
No it probably would still infuriate me. It infuriated me more when Higdon moved to motherwell and seemingly was deemed no longer to be giving away fouls while Thommo at the other end was being penalised for us.

Either way I'm probably going to be infuriated......how infuriating.

Ps For what it's worth Thommo, Higdon and Sutts all played for us in the big boys league.

1 hour ago, Hambud said:

I know I was on moaning about Danny looking for fouls too much after saturday but who knows what the best approach is now.

We used to watch bigger Higdon, Thommo, Sutton type guys try and stay on their feet and give as good as they got but ref's would blow and give fouls against us.

It used to infuriate me when you'd see big opposition strikers go down like a ton of bricks and they get fouls given their way however our guys would get penalised for trying to stay up.

Danny Mullen brought out the worst in me too when he came at first but slowly I'm getting into the drift of his game.  It's the modern game, whether we like it or not. Cheating or looking for fouls is a big part of the strategy now. Defenders now win games by not lunging in for tackles and giving away fouls. How many did Bairdy lay on for the opposition in the early part of the season before big Anton took him under his wing.  He's probably not allowed to play with junior centre backs now because he can't be trusted. That's probably why McGinn gets put at Centre Back and not Jones or Heaton when big Anton is injured.

Danny is a modern Striker who tries to take advantage of inept defending by  falling on his arse after every contact , feigning injury and looking for fouls.  Like it or lump it that's the way  the game is played. I don't like it but I get it.  I often wish he would try and put the ball in the net instead of playing for the foul but it doesn't infuriate me as much as it used too. I do however agree with the point about  him not getting away with it so much in the Premier League. He's not won us as many set pieces this season and Hamill and Jackson should  squeeze him out unless he can bring a few more goals into his game.

Sadly I'll miss the Motherwell game. First one this season. No doubt we will win, Danny will earn us lots of crucial free kicks ,a dodgy penalty and he'll also score a hat-trick.

4 hours ago, St.Ricky said:

Really. Where can you buy them more cheaply once you are inside the Cinema, Football Ground etc?

Smuggle them in instead. When I go to watch Bodmin I will bring my own can of drink in, am I f**k paying £1 for a 330ml can. Likewise with the cinema, it's always a trip to the shop first for the snacks.

1 hour ago, Hambud said:

This randomly reminded me of a home match against Killie a few years ago. Pish game, all I remember is 90 minutes of long ball. Our defenders were all over Kevin Kyle. No free kick. Our defence would punt it up to Higdon. Killie defence all over him. No free kick. It was just this back and forth. Felt really sorry for both strikers, no matter what they tried they won no free kicks but if they slightly touched the defender it was an immediate free kick the other way.

Danny Mullen brought out the worst in me too when he came at first but slowly I'm getting into the drift of his game.  It's the modern game, whether we like it or not. Cheating or looking for fouls is a big part of the strategy now. Defenders now win games by not lunging in for tackles and giving away fouls. How many did Bairdy lay on for the opposition in the early part of the season before big Anton took him under his wing.  He's probably not allowed to play with junior centre backs now because he can't be trusted. That's probably why McGinn gets put at Centre Back and not Jones or Heaton when big Anton is injured.
Danny is a modern Striker who tries to take advantage of inept defending by  falling on his arse after every contact , feigning injury and looking for fouls.  Like it or lump it that's the way  the game is played. I don't like it but I get it.  I often wish he would try and put the ball in the net instead of playing for the foul but it doesn't infuriate me as much as it used too. I do however agree with the point about  him not getting away with it so much in the Premier League. He's not won us as many set pieces this season and Hamill and Jackson should  squeeze him out unless he can bring a few more goals into his game.
Sadly I'll miss the Motherwell game. First one this season. No doubt we will win, Danny will earn us lots of crucial free kicks ,a dodgy penalty and he'll also score a hat-trick.

I do like a lot of his game. I love how competitive he can be at points. I thought he was brilliant against Celtic when he appeared to get under Scott Brown's skin.

I just think he maybe needs to realise early on in a match when the ref isn't going to give him anything, like Colum on Saturday, he could try another approach.

Anyway hopefully you have the same luck as I did when I missed the Dundee game.....

15 hours ago, St.Ricky said:

A bit harsh Oaksoft.

People can choose what they want to spend their money on and a number have made the choice to do so.

I have not. Not because of the cost but because of the time commitment. 

I rarely arrive more than an hour before a game even if I am going into the 1877 Club.

I am probably just jealous Ricky. :D

14 hours ago, shull said:

I probably charge relatively the same mark up as the Bakers. 

If I used the St Mirren Catering mark up , instead of 1 mile being £3.40 it would likely rise to around 6 pounds for up to a mile. 

There is profit and there is rip the arse out of it profit. 

Football Clubs do the latter. 

Then generally waste the money on overpaid shite players. 

£3.40 is around £100 per hour. That is a massive markup given that it costs about 45p per mile to run a car including maintenance. The base cost is then around £15 for that hour. Who is raking in the £85?

The pot is calling the kettle black here.

Edited by oaksoft

An average example which could happen this morning.

9.30  Switch on App and log onto Cardonald Rank. Sitting number 8 in the queue.

9.40  Get a hire at nearby Morrisons

9.45  Pick up hire

9.51  Drop hire at house in Cardonald and depositing a few bags of goods on doorstep. RECEIVE £3.40 .

9.52  Log onto Cardonald Rank again and now sitting 11th in the queue.

THEN GET MY PHONE OUT, ONTO B&WA AND TRY GET ON THE TITS  OF AS MANY DUDES AS POSSIBLE.

Edited by shull

2 hours ago, oaksoft said:

£3.40 is around £100 per hour. That is a massive markup given that it costs about 45p per mile to run a car including maintenance. The base cost is then around £15 for that hour. Who is raking in the £85?

The pot is calling the kettle black here.

Oh dear, schoolboy error, you are having a nightmare right enough. :lol:

51 minutes ago, shull said:

So I have made £3.40 after 22 minutes.

Now sitting 11th in the Rank, probably get another hire within 10 minutes.

Need to fecking go some to make another £81.60 profit in less than half an hour.

You are learning fast. It's not about the price. It's about the underlying costs and the number of units you can sell.

You should extend that courtesy to those selling pies at the ground before you start throwing accusations of "ripping off" around.

Buy them in any Bakers for around 2 quid. 
Buy the same at a Junior Football Ground for around 2 pounds. 
FIVE POUND TWENTY PENCE AT ST MIRREN PARK 
Never seen a Pie on Sale at Linwood Cinema although the Cola is a rip off there. 

Where’s the cinema in Linwood? I know there’s one in Paisley close to Linwood. [emoji6][emoji12]

7 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Actually you seem a little rattled and defensive. :D

Perfectly calm and just replying with a bit of realism. 

Sitting number 10 in the Rank presently. Hopefully on the move within the next 10 minutes. 

Logged on at 09.00

Made zero pounds so far. 

13 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

You are learning fast. It's not about the price. It's about the underlying costs and the number of units you can sell.

You should extend that courtesy to those selling pies at the ground before you start throwing accusations of "ripping off" around.

5 pounds and 20 pence for Pie/Cola is very very expensive. 

If I sat for an hour with no hire then I did a local worth normally £3.40, I wouldn't then charge them a tenner or similar because it was a slow day. 

5 minutes ago, shull said:

Perfectly calm and just replying with a bit of realism. 

Sitting number 10 in the Rank presently. Hopefully on the move within the next 10 minutes. 

Logged on at 09.00

Made zero pounds so far. 

Number 8 now