Dundee v St Mirren+ V@A Visit.

St.Ricky

2 hours ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

Miller was offside when the ball came in . Can we appeal ? emoji57.pngor are we not Govan enough ?

I'd love to agree with you but can't see it and none of our players appealed. A well timed run by Miller and a good through ball. Sometimes we just have to put our hands up and say..good goal. Prefer it had never happened mind you.

I'd love to agree with you but can't see it and none of our players appealed. A well timed run by Miller and a good through ball. Sometimes we just have to put our hands up and say..good goal. Prefer it had never happened mind you.
Errrrr... Jones clearly put his hand up!
It was a good goal, but it was marginal and could have gone either way.

Not a great game, I'm afraid. Plenty of effort from both sides, but it was clear that their league positions have left them bereft of confidence. Too many passes went astray.

Couldn't see the penalty because the guy in front of me stood up at the vital moment, but Jackson's dive in the second half makes you wonder about the earlier effort. If he is a diver, we don't want him. Also thought P. McGinn and Erhahon had a difficult time. Felt sorry for Erhahon - young lad, still learning the game.

Plus points for us were the performance of S. McGinn when he came on and the 90 minutes for Magennis. Thought it was a risk to put him on from the start after such a long absence, but it paid off with a fine return to action. He was behind many of the good things we did.

Players definitely trying hard but not sure how we get the confidence back. Without that we're unlikely to get the results we need to move away from the bottom of the table.

Edited by pondsman

55 minutes ago, pondsman said:

Not a great game, I'm afraid. Plenty of effort from both sides, but it was clear that their league positions have left them bereft of confidence. Too many passes went astray.

Couldn't see the penalty because the guy in front of me stood up at the vital moment, but Jackson's dive in the second half makes you wonder about the earlier effort. If he is a diver, we don't want him. Also thought P. McGinn and Erhahon had a difficult time. Felt sorry for Erhahon - young lad, still learning the game.

Plus points for us were the performance of S. McGinn when he came on and the 90 minutes for Magennis. Thought it was a risk to put him on from the start after such a long absence, but it paid off with a fine return to action. He was behind many of the good things we did.

Players definitely trying hard but not sure how we get the confidence back. Without that we're unlikely to get the results we need to move away from the bottom of the table.

Not so sure its all about confidence, with the exception of young Erahahon the other players are all long enough in the tooth to know how to press and play through difficult games. For me our issue is the continuing rearrangement of team, tactics and formation. You could see for the most part against Celtic, Sevco and Hibs that the side played on those days worked.

what I dont get is Oran seemingly completely dropping that formation and pick for the next game? The players are having to deal with a different line up and tactics from one game to the next. No wonder they look like strangers for long periods in games.

players are only human, and when there is no identifiable, consistent plan they either look lost or do their own thing. That for me is where we are. We have enough talent and capability to win against half this league, what we dont seem to be doing is giving the players that solid foundation of a settled side to build upon.

1 minute ago, Lord Pityme said:

Not so sure its all about confidence, with the exception of young Erahahon the other players are all long enough in the tooth to know how to press and play through difficult games. For me our issue is the continuing rearrangement of team, tactics and formation. You could see for the most part against Celtic, Sevco and Hibs that the side played on those days worked.

what I dont get is Oran seemingly completely dropping that formation and pick for the next game? The players are having to deal with a different line up and tactics from one game to the next. No wonder they look like strangers for long periods in games.

players are only human, and when there is no identifiable, consistent plan they either look lost or do their own thing. That for me is where we are. We have enough talent and capability to win against half this league, what we dont seem to be doing is giving the players that solid foundation of a settled side to build upon.

I don't know where you're getting that from.

We are 2nd bottom for a reason.

We can hardly string 2 passes together, slightly exaggerated but our passing ability is rank rotten. 

It's not all down to the players, whether some like it or not, the manager has a part to play in our current situation.

Another international break coming along, not sure if it's a good thing or not. 

1 minute ago, faraway saint said:

We can hardly string 2 passes together, slightly exaggerated but our passing ability is rank rotten. 

It's not all down to the players, whether some like it or not, the manager has a part to play in our current situation.

Imo we have good enough players to win against the bottom six, what we dont seem to have is a consistent game plan and line up to accomplish that objective. Oran the "Tinkerman" needs to show us his settled formation and strategy.

3 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Agree that it's not just the players, but in saying that, this is not a dig at the manager. 

We have had a literally astonishing pre-season and early season off the pitch. 

To imagine that this lack of continuity and preparedness wouldn't show would be naive in the extreme. 

To be above any Team in the league and only a few points behind one or two others is actually perhaps surprising, given our circumstances. 

Has the break come at a good time? 

I would say yes. One game in November left with seven to play in December.

We need to get experienced players back from injury to help build a stable formation. 

That's my take anyway.  Others might differ. 

We cheat , We can't pass ,  some slowly blaming Oran.  Fact is we are a team low in confidence that in turn stops you being your best. Oran is right about players mind set that it's not easy to change. Get a couple of results the mind set and football expression will change.  Not easy but not impossible keep the faith and back the boys. 

11 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Yeah first time for everything. I agree with Smokie. We are really poor. Easily the weakest squad in the division,

11 hours ago, Lord Pityme said:

Imo we have good enough players to win against the bottom six, what we dont seem to have is a consistent game plan and line up to accomplish that objective. Oran the "Tinkerman" needs to show us his settled formation and strategy.

I'll have some of what you're having

1 hour ago, insaintee said:

I'll have some of what you're having

Actually I think he is right on this score.

Our current squad is more than capable of at least competing with most of the bottom half of the league.

If Oran can figure out why they can't lpay the way they did against the OF each week he could string together a few decent results and get us away from trouble.

9 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Actually I think he is right on this score.

Our current squad is more than capable of at least competing with most of the bottom half of the league.

If Oran can figure out why they can't lpay the way they did against the OF each week he could string together a few decent results and get us away from trouble.

Purely subjective and, I'm afraid, that the facts suggest they are not.

Other bottom of the league teams have had their 5 minutes of fame against the OF but have performed at other times, we have not.

Opinions are only that, you can read this forum to see opposite views on the exact same thing.

I agree the manager has a major role in figuring out how consistently poor we are.   

3 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Other bottom of the league teams have had their 5 minutes of fame against the OF but have performed at other times, we have not.

Opinions are only that, you can read this forum to see opposite views on the exact same thing.

I agree the manager has a major role in figuring out how consistently poor we are.   

Opinions.  Hey.  On a forum.  

There is not much to choose between the bottom 4 teams. 

2 wins or two losses can make a big difference to points and league positions. 

But.. Currently it's simple.  Arithmetically, it's incontrevertable, we are second worst. 

9 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Oh, with the amount of games between now and this magical January window we could be so far behind it won't matter if we signed Ronaldo.

All the other teams will strengthen, with more resources and will be seen as a better option for decent players.

We need to close the gap BEFORE January IMO, and that means the manager getting better performances from the current crop of players. 

3 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

But.. Currently it's simple.  Arithmetically, it's incontrevertable, we are second worst. 

Not much points wise , but our 2 performances against Hamilton and Motherwell were woeful. 

Although I do think we are improving , were still along way off. 

40 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

Out of the 13 League games we have played - we have managed only 1 win which was a very long time ago (Our 1st game)

Even if we managed to win 2 in the next 7 we will only be back among Hamilton and perhaps Motherwell - presuming they don't pick up points.

We are 4 wins away from getting to a decent place... how on earth can that happen even by the end of January?

Dundee are woeful and it would have been a huge difference if we had beaten them. We'd have been 1 win away from Hamilton, not two.

The facts so far stink . .  but OK will do what he can, once his hands are not tied by the squad he inherited + the 3 he signed after the window closed (which were good ones)..

1 hour ago, Sweeper07 said:

Out of the 13 League games we have played - we have managed only 1 win which was a very long time ago (Our 1st game)

Even if we managed to win 2 in the next 7 we will only be back among Hamilton and perhaps Motherwell - presuming they don't pick up points.

We are 4 wins away from getting to a decent place... how on earth can that happen even by the end of January?

Dundee are woeful and it would have been a huge difference if we had beaten them. We'd have been 1 win away from Hamilton, not two.

The facts so far stink . .  but OK will do what he can, once his hands are not tied by the squad he inherited + the 3 he signed after the window closed (which were good ones)..

I prefer your take on it to mine. 

My take was,  as you say,  two wins with the two above us losing and we would be back in the mix. 

Four wins and the teams around us losing and life would be looking much better. 

I felt that  both of these scenarios were a bit optimistic with the present squad so plumped for the more "likely" of the two. 

OK.. Does seem to have an eye for a player so like you am optimistic about the players he might bring in having an impact. 

1 hour ago, Sweeper07 said:

Looking at our fixtures in December I honestly cannot see us winning one game. 

Roll on January, 2020.