New Fan...

R-Kes

Afternoon Gents, 

I must confess before I start I'm a Barnsley supporter but I'm going to be spending a bit of time in Scotland over the next few weeks, And I cannot help but notice a few of our former players are plying their trade at your club, So what better to do next Wednesday night than become a St Mirren supporter for the evening ey? This is where im looking for some advice.. Excuse my ignorance but would I have any trouble getting a ticket and what stand would you advise going in, parking etc.. Thanks in advance for that. 

Regarding the football, what an absolute dime you've signed in Adam Hammill and if I'm totally honest this is why I want to come to a game whilst I'm up here, He'd play with your emotions throughout his time at your club whether that be good or bad, He can be the most frustrating player in the world when he's not on his game don't get me wrong, but when he's in the mood he's a class act and one of the better platers I've seen at Oakwell and I genuinely hope he is for your club too. If you haven't yet id recommend looking at the goals he scored for us at Wembley in fact I think I've watched those two goals 2884626 times and they never get boring. Ermm regarding Cole Kpekawa….. I couldn't believe he's still making a living in football when I looked at your squad, wow he was bad, believe it or not we paid half a million for the guy...…….

Onto Stevie Mallen, he was treat very unfairly in my personal opinion when he joined our club, I genuinely hoped he was going to be replacement for Conor Hourihane. His left foot was a wand at times (as you know for yourself) his delivery was exceptional and for whatever reason wasn't fancied by our managers at the time (the two managers he had weren't the best may I add) But from what we saw of him looked a talent, I believe if he was still at the club now he'd be in the starting 11 but is what it is. 

But yeah if anybody could give me some helpful advise regarding next Wednesday's game it'd be much appreciated, Looking forward to visiting..

Welcome to the Saints.

I've got a Barnsley supporting mate who's an ST holder so I've known a lot that's gone on there in recent years through our discussions. Wish the Tykes all the best, albeit being down in SW England I will always back Argyle first and most of us want to see Sunderland do well due the brilliant turnaround their manager achieved while with us before they snatched him in the summer.

In regards to seating, you should be able to get a ticket on the match day as we don't sell out. The West Stand is best for atmosphere, while if you've got kids with you the Family Stand is a good choice. 

Hammill looks like he could be a good signing but it's early days and I believe he's playing through injury in a bid to gain a contract extension. Simeon Jackson has been an improvement to the front line, but then in fairness what Alan Stubbs left us with, I'd have been an improvement. I do believe Jackson will contribute a few goals for us though. Kpekawa played most games under Stubbs, but he's been completely frozen out by the new manager (as have most of Stubbs' signings - see a pattern yet?)

In truth we are still in recovery from a shocking summer of transfer dealings. Oran Kearney has done what he can with the free agency and done well to improve the squad with Hammill, Jackson and Anton Ferdinand, while already sending two loanees back to their clubs. Results aren't quite there yet but if we can stay in touch with the rest until January, hopefully Oran will make the improvements needed in January to keep us up. Hopefully we can gain a victory during your stay!

1 hour ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

Welcome to the Saints.

I've got a Barnsley supporting mate who's an ST holder so I've known a lot that's gone on there in recent years through our discussions. Wish the Tykes all the best, albeit being down in SW England I will always back Argyle first and most of us want to see Sunderland do well due the brilliant turnaround their manager achieved while with us before they snatched him in the summer.

In regards to seating, you should be able to get a ticket on the match day as we don't sell out. The West Stand is best for atmosphere, while if you've got kids with you the Family Stand is a good choice. 

Hammill looks like he could be a good signing but it's early days and I believe he's playing through injury in a bid to gain a contract extension. Simeon Jackson has been an improvement to the front line, but then in fairness what Alan Stubbs left us with, I'd have been an improvement. I do believe Jackson will contribute a few goals for us though. Kpekawa played most games under Stubbs, but he's been completely frozen out by the new manager (as have most of Stubbs' signings - see a pattern yet?)

In truth we are still in recovery from a shocking summer of transfer dealings. Oran Kearney has done what he can with the free agency and done well to improve the squad with Hammill, Jackson and Anton Ferdinand, while already sending two loanees back to their clubs. Results aren't quite there yet but if we can stay in touch with the rest until January, hopefully Oran will make the improvements needed in January to keep us up. Hopefully we can gain a victory during your stay!

Its never a dull time at the well so I can imagine he's never short of a few stories to tell. And yeah Ross seems to have settled in well at Sunderland, funnily enough he was a lot of Barnsley fans (including myself) fancied choice last season before he turned us down and we ended up with a right dumpling in charge, maybe wed still be a championship club if he'd have come. I was surprised he took the Sunderland job in all fairness it cant be an easy task especially in their current position.

Yes I know all about Alan Stubbs, He was down our way for a short period of time at Rotherham, Well a few of my Millers mates had very strong views on him and non of them were pleasant. I didn't mind Jackson when at us he just didn't get enough game time but had pace to burn, be interesting to see how hes getting on too. 

Thanks for your help, hopefully see some of you next Wednesday and most importantly see you get this overly due win, Up the Saints. 

48 minutes ago, R-Kes said:

Its never a dull time at the well so I can imagine he's never short of a few stories to tell. And yeah Ross seems to have settled in well at Sunderland, funnily enough he was a lot of Barnsley fans (including myself) fancied choice last season before he turned us down and we ended up with a right dumpling in charge, maybe wed still be a championship club if he'd have come. I was surprised he took the Sunderland job in all fairness it cant be an easy task especially in their current position.

Yes I know all about Alan Stubbs, He was down our way for a short period of time at Rotherham, Well a few of my Millers mates had very strong views on him and non of them were pleasant. I didn't mind Jackson when at us he just didn't get enough game time but had pace to burn, be interesting to see how hes getting on too. 

Thanks for your help, hopefully see some of you next Wednesday and most importantly see you get this overly due win, Up the Saints. 

Definitely, my mate is always updating me on the goings on at Oakwell and likewise I'll keep him in the loop here, even to the point we send each other the lineups at 2pm. 

I think Ross knew it was the wrong time to move, as he was nearing a first title to his CV to top off a stunning turnaround, and with the Tykes at risk of relegation, it wasn't worth risking for a job which may have only lasted months as Morais found out (although in truth Morais was an abomination for you). When Sunderland came round he had achieved the title and promotion, and while he was obviously offered a huge increase in salary, this is a club who definitely have the potential to return to the EPL. I don't think many League One clubs would have enticed him to leave us, and had Ipswich not fannied about waiting on Paul Hurst, JR may have ended up there before Sunderland. 

Many of our views on Stubbs are negative, I don't often back managers losing their jobs early but the manner of our defeats were appalling, out of games before half time. Never mind needing penalties to beat teams in League Two and the Lowland League (and that was after going 2-0 down). The media lambasted us for hoofing him out but anyone who actually watched us could see how awful it is, and it's summed up when a guy who managed part time in Northern Ireland has frozen out most of Stubbs' summer signings.

Any more questions feel free to ask and (most) on here will be happy to help. As a Buddie living elsewhere I won't be able to answer everything, but the regulars here will know best.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/23/2018 at 4:28 PM, R-Kes said:

Afternoon Gents, 

I must confess before I start I'm a Barnsley supporter but I'm going to be spending a bit of time in Scotland over the next few weeks, And I cannot help but notice a few of our former players are plying their trade at your club, So what better to do next Wednesday night than become a St Mirren supporter for the evening ey? This is where im looking for some advice.. Excuse my ignorance but would I have any trouble getting a ticket and what stand would you advise going in, parking etc.. Thanks in advance for that. 

Regarding the football, what an absolute dime you've signed in Adam Hammill and if I'm totally honest this is why I want to come to a game whilst I'm up here, He'd play with your emotions throughout his time at your club whether that be good or bad, He can be the most frustrating player in the world when he's not on his game don't get me wrong, but when he's in the mood he's a class act and one of the better platers I've seen at Oakwell and I genuinely hope he is for your club too. If you haven't yet id recommend looking at the goals he scored for us at Wembley in fact I think I've watched those two goals 2884626 times and they never get boring. Ermm regarding Cole Kpekawa….. I couldn't believe he's still making a living in football when I looked at your squad, wow he was bad, believe it or not we paid half a million for the guy...…….

Onto Stevie Mallen, he was treat very unfairly in my personal opinion when he joined our club, I genuinely hoped he was going to be replacement for Conor Hourihane. His left foot was a wand at times (as you know for yourself) his delivery was exceptional and for whatever reason wasn't fancied by our managers at the time (the two managers he had weren't the best may I add) But from what we saw of him looked a talent, I believe if he was still at the club now he'd be in the starting 11 but is what it is. 

But yeah if anybody could give me some helpful advise regarding next Wednesday's game it'd be much appreciated, Looking forward to visiting..

Hi mate,

Not sure if you went tonight, but if you did, I hope you gave Adam Hammill a lift back to Barnsley. 

He is honking. 

Yea I did attend last nights game, I cant believe how non existent Hammill was last night if anything it answered mine and many Barnsley fans questions as to why we released him, honestly it split the fans us not offering him a new deal but after last nights performance its made me understand why.. 

I did enjoy last night in a weird way, was something different for myself. although I couldn't acquire a program which was a little annoying, ah well, Ill be keeping an eye out on future results from now on and hope you stay in the division. 

Long haired guy and your number 2 need binning alongside Hammill though they were horrendous, Number 2 looked petrified whenever the ball came close to him.  Willock added something different when he came onto the pitch was impressed with him not sure as to why he wouldn't start after what I saw last night.  The side lacked height I thought and although I couldn't quite work out the formation you were playing it did seem Jackson was lone striker which seems a strange decision. The defending for the first goal was strange too the lad was going nowhere, back to goal and 3 st mirren lads charged him.... bizarre. 

But yeah my first experience of Scottish football was.. ermm different. Those aeroplanes will take some getting used to, caught me off guard a few times. I would definitely be back again at some point and next time hopefully see a win. The people I spoke to before a during the game were all welcoming and friendly, cracking little club you've got and hopefully be still in the premiership this time next year. 

14 hours ago, R-Kes said:

Yea I did attend last nights game, I cant believe how non existent Hammill was last night if anything it answered mine and many Barnsley fans questions as to why we released him, honestly it split the fans us not offering him a new deal but after last nights performance its made me understand why.. 

I did enjoy last night in a weird way, was something different for myself. although I couldn't acquire a program which was a little annoying, ah well, Ill be keeping an eye out on future results from now on and hope you stay in the division. 

Long haired guy and your number 2 need binning alongside Hammill though they were horrendous, Number 2 looked petrified whenever the ball came close to him.  Willock added something different when he came onto the pitch was impressed with him not sure as to why he wouldn't start after what I saw last night.  The side lacked height I thought and although I couldn't quite work out the formation you were playing it did seem Jackson was lone striker which seems a strange decision. The defending for the first goal was strange too the lad was going nowhere, back to goal and 3 st mirren lads charged him.... bizarre. 

But yeah my first experience of Scottish football was.. ermm different. Those aeroplanes will take some getting used to, caught me off guard a few times. I would definitely be back again at some point and next time hopefully see a win. The people I spoke to before a during the game were all welcoming and friendly, cracking little club you've got and hopefully be still in the premiership this time next year. 

http://www.curtis-sport.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=75&product_id=1748