Alcohol Ban to be Lifted?

I'm genuinely uncertain.  Personally,  I don't take alcohol.  Why do people associate it with having a good time?  I don't know but clearly many do. Have our behaviours improved markedly from 1980 when it comes to drink? Just not sure. That's why I put this out there. 

I'm genuinely uncertain.  Personally,  I don't take alcohol.  Why do people associate it with having a good time?  I don't know but clearly many do. Have our behaviours improved markedly from 1980 when it comes to drink? Just not sure. That's why I put this out there. 

I think there is a place for it, you will have people that are enjoying the social occasion of going to a game and will take maybe one or two drinks in a stadium.The hard core football fan will baulk at the stadiums pricing and do his pre drinking at a local pub as normal,personally I use the 2 hrs around seeing st.mirren as respite before drinking loads later

I think it is a good idea, having been to many a game in the English Premiership I find it refreshing that if I want a beer at the game I can have one if I want. 

If it helps I was working in Auxerre in France the last week and got a ticket last night for PSG v Napoli before I flew home to sunny Thurso today,anyways this year champions league and europa league games are allowed alcohol in France ,to be honest the Paris fans are a bit arrogant and aggressive but nobody seemed too bad but then again their culture doesn’t dictate 10 pints on a night out [emoji106]

1 minute ago, Gunni Thorfason said:

If it helps I was working in Auxerre in France the last week and got a ticket last night for PSG v Napoli before I flew home to sunny Thurso today,anyways this year champions league and europa league games are allowed alcohol in France ,to be honest the Paris fans are a bit arrogant and aggressive but nobody seemed too bad but then again their culture doesn’t dictate 10 pints on a night out emoji106.png

Only time I have drank at a ground in England was at Wembley, had a few beers, bit to eat and put a few bets on. Brilliant day. Been to many games at Anfield and just drank soft drinks. Just think it is good to have the option. Totally agree with the French arrogance bit, as you mentioned it is just not in their culture to drink that much.

My mood might change if the guy sitting beside me keeps going to the loo 4 or 5 times during the game if they allow it here :D

Only time I have drank at a ground in England was at Wembley, had a few beers, bit to eat and put a few bets on. Brilliant day. Been to many games at Anfield and just drank soft drinks. Just think it is good to have the option. Totally agree with the French arrogance bit, as you mentioned it is just not in their culture to drink that much.
My mood might change if the guy sitting beside me keeps going to the loo 4 or 5 times during the game if they allow it here [emoji3]

I’ve always hated the walk of shame across the row mid game,but at 51 my bladder is the size of a pea now

Yes beer in January outside in a sleet storm is a lovely thought. Totally not needed with idiots dropping pints or it being spilled at a goal. For an hour and a half in our climate it simply doesn't make sense. And this comes from someone who enjoys a pre / post match pint. It would be a novelty that would very quickly wane. Plenty pubs providing a perfectly good service to fans who want it. If it does happen then let the drinkers have a designated area in the stadium, they can spill it and bother each other going for a piss / pint without spoiling it for the rest of us.

Brilliant if it gets lifted games this season would be so much better when pished and don’t remember a thing the following day.

If clubs fans don’t behave then a simple ban for a certain time on them buying alcohol at games hopefully will help them learn.

Also hopefully much needed extra income for clubs.

31 minutes ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

Yes beer in January outside in a sleet storm is a lovely thought. Totally not needed with idiots dropping pints or it being spilled at a goal. For an hour and a half in our climate it simply doesn't make sense. And this comes from someone who enjoys a pre / post match pint. It would be a novelty that would very quickly wane. Plenty pubs providing a perfectly good service to fans who want it. If it does happen then let the drinkers have a designated area in the stadium, they can spill it and bother each other going for a piss / pint without spoiling it for the rest of us.

^^^^^^^ This.

Plenty of supporters are already fuelled up, if they can't do without alcohol for 2 hours it might be time to reassess their drinking habits.

Unnecessary and would, IMO, lead to more trouble inside grounds.

Was at the Leeds United game last night, I’ve been to over 250 Leeds games since living here and throughout that time alcohol has always been available to fans.

The concourse inside the east stand ( largest ) has a few bars/shops/ food outlets as does other parts of the stadium and in my opinion it’s not ever had a detrimental effect on the match day experience.

It’s all quite civilised, I don’t have a daytime drink ever anywhere never mind at a match, but i can say without doubt, the behaviour of our fans at games ( without us selling alcohol) verbally is much much worse than anything you’d hear at Elland Road.

They don’t tolerate it.

Think the way it's done in England you can have a beer but not when you can see the pitch.

So some folk want to spend the whole match watching on a screen in the concourse then so be it.

I for one don't really care. I'm happy to not drink at the football. It would be good to be trusted enough though to be able to make the choice.

I only tend to drink alcohol when I go out with work colleagues/ex-colleagues every few weeks and those are usually full on binge sessions. Don't drink much alcohol at home and probably wouldn't at the football.

The best way to see the effects would be to trial it out. Don't see the harm in that.

I went to the Arsenal v Aston Villa FA Cup Final in 2015 and this was the first time I had experienced buying beer in a stadium.

It was a novelty that day but it wasn't cheap. I personally wouldn't be bothered about drinking beer inside the stadium. Much prefer sitting down the park with a bag of cans.

I’m totally against it. There is no need for it, if you can't go an hour and a half without a drink then you’ve got a problem. Imagine standing in our tiny concourse (Like down south you won’t be allowed to your seat with booze) with a flat, cold pint of Foster in a plastic glass during our winter.....crazy. We’ve all grown up without it in grounds so there is no need to introduce it now and the opposite of what we should be doing.....discourage the high intake of alcohol abuse in Scotland. Oh and I do like a drink, but c’mon it’s not something we need at our games. A decent cup of coffee perhaps!

4 hours ago, whydowebother said:

Was at the Leeds United game last night, I’ve been to over 250 Leeds games since living here and throughout that time alcohol has always been available to fans.

The concourse inside the east stand ( largest ) has a few bars/shops/ food outlets as does other parts of the stadium and in my opinion it’s not ever had a detrimental effect on the match day experience.

It’s all quite civilised, I don’t have a daytime drink ever anywhere never mind at a match, but i can say without doubt, the behaviour of our fans at games ( without us selling alcohol) verbally is much much worse than anything you’d hear at Elland Road.

They don’t tolerate it.

You make a good point regarding the differences you notice in verbals between England and up here.  Is that swearing, general hostility or what?