Alcohol Ban to be Lifted?

No reason not to allow alcohol to be served before the game and at half time for those who choose to have a drink, but not drinking at your seat during the game.

Too many people get on their high horse and this. People drink - that doesn't make them all problem drinkers. 

14 minutes ago, Soctty said:

No reason not to allow alcohol to be served before the game and at half time for those who choose to have a drink, but not drinking at your seat during the game.

Too many people get on their high horse and this. People drink - that doesn't make them all problem drinkers. 

Exactly this. 

We have an alcohol problem in Scotland. This smacks of people trying to cash in on that.
There is absolutely no benefit in introducing this and plenty of disadvantages.
If you need to be guzzling beer in the middle of the day you clearly have a problem.

Don’t drink very often but enjoy a beer before a game and would be nice to get one every now and then either before or at half time I like a drink during the day on odd occasions when going out as I don’t do them that often does that mean I have a drink problem.

Giving people the choice isn’t a bad thing if you don’t like it don’t have it maybe it should be kept to one side of each stand and not in family stand for those that want to stay clear of it.

If you look at darts it was a sport that was dying then premier league darts came along allowing people to have a good time/night out it’s done wonders for that sport ofcourse drink has always been allowed but you weren’t allowed to talk or sing during throws.

You are allowed to sing in football but not allowed to have a drink or good time maybe a combination of both will add to better atmosphere and few extra fans in.

Should be zero tolerance to idiots though that can’t control themselves and look to spoil it for the rest of us who can drink sensibly and behave.

1 minute ago, buddies1877 said:

Don’t drink very often but enjoy a beer before a game and would be nice to get one every now and then either before or at half time I like a drink during the day on odd occasions when going out as I don’t do them that often does that mean I have a drink problem.

Giving people the choice isn’t a bad thing if you don’t like it don’t have it maybe it should be kept to one side of each stand and not in family stand for those that want to stay clear of it.

If you look at darts it was a sport that was dying then premier league darts came along allowing people to have a good time/night out it’s done wonders for that sport ofcourse drink has always been allowed but you weren’t allowed to talk or sing during throws.

You are allowed to sing in football but not allowed to have a drink or good time maybe a combination of both will add to better atmosphere and few extra fans in.

Should be zero tolerance to idiots though that can’t control themselves and look to spoil it for the rest of us who can drink sensibly and behave.

You blew it right there.

Have you attended any of the Premier League nights? :blink:

Fcuking ruined by drunks who hardly watch the darts, too busy trying to out shout each other, often resulting in fights.

If the authorities took this "zero tolerance" approach (which is easier said than done) at Premier League Darts events the venues would be half empty.  :lol:

The premiership clubs down south have been selling beer next to coke for years as do most clubs in Europe. Don't see a problem there are ways to control it as was written further back if problems developed simply take the license away. We had a licensed marquee in the car park with no problems. 

I seem to be of the same opinion of many posters on this thread in that there's no need for alcohol sales to be introduced in Scottish grounds. It's only a couple of hours to go without a drink while at the game as time can be spent in local pubs pre/post match. 

I can only imagine that it would only be applied in the same manner as English matches where you can't take the drinks to your seat or in view of the pitch. Applying that to our own club - we simply don't have the space under the stands for fans congregating and drinking. Other clubs like Hamilton actually have their pie stalls out in view of the pitch so what do they do?  

It just seems a bit unnecessary. 

I get where the thought comes from. If you go to see the ice hockey, basketball or rugby you can get a drink and enjoy the event. It's a totally different experience and environment. I often think that those 'match day experience' are to be envied. A big part of what makes them so, however, is that they are much more civilised and have less 'edge' than a football crowd. It lends itself to people being able to be trusted.

I think we should have a German style beer tent/area outside the ground, or perhaps an area of the concourse where you can buy a beer. Would however keep it exclusive to local breweries where the profits can stay within the community. None a that Carlsberg or Carling pish. 

Maybe a joint venture with the folk who run the Paisley Beer Festival? 

9 minutes ago, Doakes said:

I think we should have a German style beer tent/area outside the ground, or perhaps an area of the concourse where you can buy a beer. Would however keep it exclusive to local breweries where the profits can stay within the community. None a that Carlsberg or Carling pish. 

Maybe a joint venture with the folk who run the Paisley Beer Festival? 

You have the bones of an idea there Doakes

May be a way to try things in stages. 

Edited by St.Ricky

Yes beer in January outside in a sleet storm is a lovely thought. Totally not needed with idiots dropping pints or it being spilled at a goal. For an hour and a half in our climate it simply doesn't make sense. And this comes from someone who enjoys a pre / post match pint. It would be a novelty that would very quickly wane. Plenty pubs providing a perfectly good service to fans who want it. If it does happen then let the drinkers have a designated area in the stadium, they can spill it and bother each other going for a piss / pint without spoiling it for the rest of us.

Totally agree with you and I don’t see why folk can’t control themselves for a couple of hours.

However.... why not let them drink in a sectioned off area under the stand?

Agree with you until your last 7 words.

Those who can’t do without a drink for a couple of hours are indeed problem drinkers.

Up to them though.

I think we should offer drink under the stand and take their cash.

6 minutes ago, Wendy Saintss said:

Those who can’t do without a drink for a couple of hours are indeed problem drinkers.

Up to them though.

Tbf, it doesn't necessarily make someone a problem drinker to fancy a pint at a football match with their mates. Would make the day more enjoyable, doesn't necessarily mean everyone's getting blootered 

5 minutes ago, Yflab said:

Never mind the alcohol ban. Lift the ban on weed. Just think of the knock on benefits of selling additional chocolate snacks,

Not ma cup of tea, could just imagine someone screaming at Bairdie to tackle the giant psychedelic kitten who has just dropped in the the sky and scored a goal against a midget goalkeeper  :P

It could work in my opinion. sell drink up to 2:45pm, drinks must be finished 2:50pm, open again 3:40 to 3:50, drink finished for 3:55. Bar opens again 4:45 to 6:00pm for anyone that wants to stay behind a celebrate or bemoan the performance. Like the idea of a beer tent, a few heaters in there, rig up a couple of TV's for the football results and the jobs a good one

3 minutes ago, Doakes said:

Tbf, it doesn't necessarily make someone a problem drinker to fancy a pint at a football match with their mates. Would make the day more enjoyable, doesn't necessarily mean everyone's getting blootered 

Whether someones a problem drinker or not really isn't the issue.

The same people would, probably, have "a pint" before the game, you, and I, know plenty have more than a pint before the game.

Topping this up during the game could easily see behaviour, already bordering on annoying to plenty, slip into trouble.

Not sure where you're getting a drink would make the day more enjoyable? 

Plenty have an enjoyable day without a drink, and probably remember more of the day into the bargain. :wink:

5 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Whether someones a problem drinker or not really isn't the issue.

The same people would, probably, have "a pint" before the game, you, and I, know plenty have more than a pint before the game.

Topping this up during the game could easily see behaviour, already bordering on annoying to plenty, slip into trouble.

Not sure where you're getting a drink would make the day more enjoyable? 

Plenty have an enjoyable day without a drink, and probably remember more of the day into the bargain. :wink:

You think people are going to suffer memory loss because they had an extra pint at half time? :o

The majority must suffer because a minority can't handle it.....

The majority would be absolutely fine. Should be down to the individual to choose how much/little they drink. 

1 minute ago, Doakes said:

You think people are going to suffer memory loss because they had an extra pint at half time? :o

The majority must suffer because a minority can't handle it.....

The majority would be absolutely fine. Should be down to the individual to choose how much/little they drink. 

Who mentioned only at half time?

If that was the case, cant you see that gulping down a pint in 15 minutes, probably less by the time you get served, is a tad desperate? 

You are also aware,or naive, that it would only be one for many. 

As for the highlighted part, that's the case in many walks of life I'm afraid. 

3 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Who mentioned only at half time?

If that was the case, cant you see that gulping down a pint in 15 minutes, probably less by the time you get served, is a tad desperate? 

You are also aware,or naive, that it would only be one for many. 

As for the highlighted part, that's the case in many walks of life I'm afraid. 

I thought that was the idea being promoted? Would surely be similar to England - no beer in view of the pitch, concourse only, (or beer tent outside). 10/15 minutes is plenty of time to drink a pint tbh. 

If it's not something you would personally enjoy, I can understand not promoting the idea - but I don't understand why people object so strongly when it comes to allowing beer in a fitba ground. 

Not an issue for me 3hr drive to the match and the same back so no alcohol for me, however, I have been a regular attender at Newcastle and Sunderland matches over the years and when it is confined to the concourse it seems to work fine except for the small bladder issue mentioned by previous posters and perpetual number of people heading to and from the loos.

17 minutes ago, Doakes said:

I thought that was the idea being promoted? Would surely be similar to England - no beer in view of the pitch, concourse only, (or beer tent outside). 10/15 minutes is plenty of time to drink a pint tbh. 

If it's not something you would personally enjoy, I can understand not promoting the idea - but I don't understand why people object so strongly when it comes to allowing beer in a fitba ground. 

The levels of denial are staggering but it's not surprising to hear it.

First you don't see how struggling to go 90 minutes without a beer when you can drink plenty before and after the game is the very definition of a drinking problem. Then you are talking about 10 to 15 being more than enough time to drink a pint. To top it up, you are clearly saying that an absence of beer in the middle of the day makes life less enjoyable.

I have to tell you that none of this is normal behaviour. None of it represents a healthy attitude towards alcohol.

I don’t get those saying that anyone who wants a beer at half time is an alcoholic or has a drink problem . So by that token , do those who buy a pie have an eating disorder because they can’t last 90 minutes without a bite to eat ?
I do understand the argument that there could be those who may cause trouble with that extra pint but the powers are already there to deal with those troublemakers.
If legislation is changed an it’s provided , commercial factors will decide whether it fails or succeeds .
I find it strange that people believe those in Hospitality, 1877 and the boardroom can enjoy a drink virtually up to kick off but a pint at half time will turn them into some slobbering monster hell bent on trouble .
Btw , don’t know the answer here but do they serve alcohol at half time in the Boardroom & Hospitality at the moment . As i say, I Don’t know , simply asking.

1 hour ago, Wendy Saintss said:

Up to them though.

Where has this idea that folk who would like a drink at the football can't go without a drink for a couple of hours? Is the same attitude held against those going to concerts, or to the theatre, or any other entertainment event? All problem drinkers? 

2 minutes ago, Soctty said:

Where has this idea that folk who would like a drink at the football can't go without a drink for a couple of hours? Is the same attitude held against those going to concerts, or to the theatre, or any other entertainment event? All problem drinkers? 

Why was the ban brought into place for football rather than the other things you mention? 

Just to add having been to a few concerts there is, IMO, a problem with alcohol as many people are hell bent on arriving drunk and getting drunker, not giving a feck about anybody else. 

Some people have a problem all right. 

1 minute ago, faraway saint said:

Why was the ban brought into place for football rather than the other things you mention? 

Just to add having been to a few concerts there is, IMO, a problem with alcohol as many people are hell bent on arriving drunk and getting drunker, not giving a feck about anybody else. 

Some people have a problem all right. 

Because of events at a game nearly 40 years ago as far as I can see. 

Why is drinking permitted at English grounds? Or other grounds in other countries?

I don't drink before or after games but I'm not hell bent on preventing others from having the freedom to do so without being classed as alcoholics.