Alcohol Ban to be Lifted?

2 hours ago, Wendy Saintss said:

You can go to the pub before and after. Even then you’ve got a bit of a problem.

If you need to be necking a pint at half time in the cold then you’re a full blown alkie and need help.

I doubt very much that an alcoholic would spend £20+ for a match ticket when they could just sit in the house and spend their money on drink.

I don't get the assumption that if you have a drink at halftime then you have a drink problem. People with drink problems crave a drink 24/7, they would rather drink than feed themselves, A few people on here giving the lectures really need to waken up, open their eyes and see the real world.

Due to work commitments I've attended 5 games this season. 2 were internationals. At two of those games I've had a drink (St.Mirren). Livingston game I left early due to the poor performance. Sit and watch another 45 mins of dross or go back to the pub and have an extra drink or 2 with my mate.  So according to some I must have a drink problem, load of f**king nonsense. Been on the laptop for about an hour now, doing my coupons etc for the day, does this mean I have an internet problem. I've had a second cup of tea, does this mean I have a tea drinking problem.

I get we are all different and to some having a drink in 15 minute spell doesn't appeal to them but to those who it does doesn't mean they have a problem.

This thread is a microcosm of Scottish life and attitudes to alcohol.

The levels of denial are simply incredible and indicate the scale of the problems we face trying to fix the country's obsession with alcohol.

A whole heap of education is required I think to remove ridiculous normalisations such as necking pints in 10-15 minutes and drinking 3 pints BEFORE 2.30pm being perfectly normal behaviour when of course, neither are OK at all.

I wonder whether a ban on selling all alcohol before 6pm is needed.

Edited by oaksoft

5 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

The levels of denial are simply incredible and indicate the scale of the problems we face trying to fix the country's obsession with alcohol.

A whole heap of education is required I think to remove ridiculous normalisations such as necking pints in 10-15 minutes and drinking 3 pints BEFORE 2.30pm being perfectly normal behaviour when of course, neither are OK at all.

Off to get bus to Perth shortly via the carry out shop and then the pub. 

8354617825_4052aefce4_b.jpg

1 hour ago, oaksoft said:

:D  Ok can you direct all us pre match drinkers to a good psychologist or counsellor?

POLICE SCOTLAND WARNING:

Police are warning all men who frequent clubs, parties and local pubs to be alert and stay cautious when offered a drink from any woman. Many females use a date rape drug on the market called …Beer. The drug is found in liquid form and available anywhere. It comes in bottles, cans, from taps and in large “kegs”.

Beer is used by female sexual predators at parties and bars to persuade their male victims to go home and have sex with them. A woman

needs only to get a guy to consume a few units of Beer and then simply ask him home for no strings attached sex. Men are rendered helpless against this approach.

After several Beers, men will often succumb to the desires to perform sexual acts on horrific looking women whom they would never normally be attracted.

After drinking Beer, men often awaken with only hazy memories of exactly what happened to them the night before, often with just a vague feeling that “something bad” occurred.

At other times these unfortunate men are swindled out of their life’s savings, in a familiar scam known as a “relationship”. In extreme cases, the female may even be shrewed enough to entrap the unsuspecting male
into a longer term form of servitude and punishment referred to as “marriage”. Men are much more susceptible to this scam after Beer is administered and sex is offered by the predatory females. Please!
Forward this warning to every male you know.

If you fall victim to this beer and the women administering it….. There are male support groups where you can discuss the details of your shocking encounter with similarly affected like-minded guys. For the support group nearest you, just look up “Golf Courses” in the phone book.

The English Football model should be used in Scotland... Allow fans to purchase drinks pre match and half time but drink them only in the concourse below the stand. I dont see anything wrong with allowing fans to have a drink at matches which are considered a 'low risk' ie Livi, Hamilton etc 

On ‎10‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 4:18 PM, NB18 said:

The English Football model should be used in Scotland... Allow fans to purchase drinks pre match and half time but drink them only in the concourse below the stand. I dont see anything wrong with allowing fans to have a drink at matches which are considered a 'low risk' ie Livi, Hamilton etc 

I initially thought similarly but for all games.  I am intrigued by what constitutes a low risk game (in regards an alcohol ban at matches being lifted)

Guest TPAFKATS

Was in Germany last week where they do beer at the football.
4 euros a pint, or rather a half litre which you can take back to your seat. Cheaper than you'd pay in Glasgow City centre and better quality as well.
They even have the guys with the back pack walking around serving at the start of each half.

Quality beer, not over priced, no large queue to get served and you can take it back to your seat.
If they can do that then great. Unfortunately I don't see any of these requirements being met here [emoji3]

20 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:

4 euros a pint, or rather a half litre which you can take back to your seat. Cheaper than you'd pay in Glasgow City centre and better quality as well.
They even have the guys with the back pack walking around serving at the start of each half.

Quality beer, not over priced, no large queue to get served and you can take it back to your seat.
If they can do that then great. Unfortunately I don't see any of these requirements being met here emoji3.png

What ground? I visited Dortmund and they had a brilliant big bar outside the stand, beer was brilliant, all local beers and profits went to their club/local breweries. Even had a big tented area where you could have a beer and watch re-runs of old games on the big screen. Really well laid out and for me it added to my enjoyment of the day.

In before faraway says I was too pissed to remember it :ph34r::lol:

Guest TPAFKATS
What ground? I visited Dortmund and they had a brilliant big bar outside the stand, beer was brilliant, all local beers and profits went to their club/local breweries. Even had a big tented area where you could have a beer and watch re-runs of old games on the big screen. Really well laid out and for me it added to my enjoyment of the day.
In before faraway says I was too pissed to remember it [emoji185][emoji38]
Both Leverkusen and munchengladbach. BMG had the guys wandering around with the draught beer back pack. They also have a huge beer garden (think hampden car park size).

7 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:

Both Leverkusen and munchengladbach. BMG had the guys wandering around with the draught beer back pack. They also have a huge beer garden (think hampden car park size).

In Dortmunds bar they actually host their TV presenters pre match, fans can presumably watch while having a pint. Amazing set up.

Not saying we could ever have that in Scotland, but some pre match entertainment in a beer tent would be brilliant imo.

Brinkhoffs-BVB-Ballgefluester-201710-01. 

Brinkhoffs-BVB-Ballgefluester-201710-03.

1 hour ago, TPAFKATS said:

If they can do that then great. Unfortunately I don't see any of these requirements being met here emoji3.png

Germany are light years ahead of us in terms of their attitudes to beer.

They have very strict laws about what you can even call a beer and they have to satisfy extremely high purity laws. Their beer is superb.  I can't remember the last time I even had a hangover drinking German beer and I'm including Oktoberfest when I was younger.

We have Tennent's Lager in comparison. :lol:
Our population has little or no concept of what good quality alcohol should taste like because the mentality here is to neck it within 15 minutes with the seemingly sole purpose of getting pissed. It really is pretty embarassing.  Equating drinkers in Scotland with German drinkers is like comparing oranges and chimps.

On the other hand, savouring a proper real ale which hasn't been chilled or stuffed with carbon dioxide is another league altogether.

Edited by oaksoft

4 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

They have very strict laws about what you can even call a beer and they have to satisfy extremely high purity laws. Their beer is superb.  I can't remember the last time I even had a hangover drinking German beer and I'm including Oktoberfest when I was younger.

We have Tennent's Lager in comparison. :lol:
Our population has little or no concept of what good quality alcohol should taste like because the mentality here is to neck it within 15 minutes with the seemingly sole purpose of getting pissed. It really is pretty embarassing.  Equating drinkers in Scotland with German drinkers is like comparing oranges and chimps.

On the other hand, savouring a proper real ale which hasn't been chilled or stuffed with carbon dioxide is another league altogether.

To be fair, that's the reason I suggested using local breweries who would provide proper beer (German style)

Perhaps make a deal with West, Kelburn, Arran or a Brewery like that. All make very nice beers/lagers. If it's done right it would work. No Carling/Carslberg sh!te

Guest TPAFKATS
To be fair, that's the reason I suggested using local breweries who would provide proper beer (German style)
Perhaps make a deal with West, Kelburn, Arran or a Brewery like that. All make very nice beers/lagers. If it's done right it would work. No Carling/Carslberg sh!te
Or Fosters which seems to be the over priced piss water of choice in football and entertainment venues.

Guest TPAFKATS

We have Tennent's Lager in comparison. [emoji38]

Worryingly the guy who started tennents did so after touring Europe and wanted to recreate the German and Belgian style.

A good pint of tennents is still one of the enjoyable UK lagers.

1 hour ago, TPAFKATS said:

Worryingly the guy who started tennents did so after touring Europe and wanted to recreate the German and Belgian style.

A good pint of tennents is still one of the enjoyable UK lagers.

Anyone who thinks that Tennent's lager is a good quality alcoholic drink needs emergency re-education in what a beer SHOULD taste like. :green:P

7 minutes ago, Doakes said:

What's your thoughts on West?

I think it would have been fairer if he had been forced to spend the rest of his life in jail like his wife. :P

Ach that would have been cleverer if you hadn't added the bit about Munich Red......

I actually don't know what those two taste like.

I know good alcohol when I taste it but I don't really drink at all now. Grew out of it when I hit 30. And I do mean grew out of it.

Edited by oaksoft

30 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

I think it would have been fairer if he had been forced to spend the rest of his life in jail like his wife. :P

Ach that would have been cleverer if you hadn't added the bit about Munich Red......

I actually don't know what those two taste like.

I know good alcohol when I taste it but I don't really drink at all now. Grew out of it when I hit 30. And I do mean grew out of it.

Not your worst effort :lol:

I drink far less than I used to, but very partial a West St Mungo's