Alcohol Ban to be Lifted?

16 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

I'm coming around to this way of thinking. I had an open mind but seeing posts on here I think that the present arrangements have led to a general improvement in behaviour and violence reduction. I still see merit in people coming to the ground earlier and being sociable with others in environments like hospitality and the 1877 Club. i also favour slightly the idea Doakes put forward to utilise a Marquee to offer local beers as part of a festival or just to support local business. 

Get your lederhosen looked out Ricky :cheers

adult-lederhosen-megamorph-costume.jpg

12 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

I'm coming around to this way of thinking. I had an open mind but seeing posts on here I think that the present arrangements have led to a general improvement in behaviour and violence reduction. I still see merit in people coming to the ground earlier and being sociable with others in environments like hospitality and the 1877 Club. i also favour slightly the idea Doakes put forward to utilise a Marquee to offer local beers as part of a festival or just to support local business. 

Not quite following Ricky.......are you suggesting it is ok to drink for 3 hours in 1877 Club and go into the game but then suggesting that you shouldn't be able to do the same thing in the catering areas inside the ground even though all the areas inside the ground are segregated??  That doesn't make any sense to me, I am a member of 1877 Club and regularly have a couple of pre or post match pints with a couple of hundred others and never even seen anyone arguing never mind fighting. Why would it be any different in the catering areas where people are drinking with supporters of the same team?

All of that said I'm neither pro nor anti the idea!!

30 minutes ago, WeeBud said:

Not quite following Ricky.......are you suggesting it is ok to drink for 3 hours in 1877 Club and go into the game but then suggesting that you shouldn't be able to do the same thing in the catering areas inside the ground even though all the areas inside the ground are segregated??  That doesn't make any sense to me, I am a member of 1877 Club and regularly have a couple of pre or post match pints with a couple of hundred others and never even seen anyone arguing never mind fighting. Why would it be any different in the catering areas where people are drinking with supporters of the same team?

All of that said I'm neither pro nor anti the idea!!

WeeBud. I like the 1877 Club. I don't personally drink alcohol but do pop in before games, though usually only for an hour. What I think I'm coming around to is giving more people an opportunity to come to the ground and have the libation of their choice before entering the football arena viewing area. Like some others, I don't fancy having alcohol in there for the reasons others give including spillages etc.  I like the idea Doakes has put forward.  A space provided with Cover, Heating, Access to Toilet Facilities and A Big Screen could be made available in the environs of the ground with no entry fee and tie in with local festivals etc. Maybe after that we might move further. Undecided on that.

Edited by St.Ricky

Clearly by some of the spouting on here we should change hospitality to the AA st Mirren supporters club as clearly they can’t go 90 mins without a drink.

I’m pretty sure those in favour have no trouble going 90 mins without a drink but rather would like to enjoy there Saturday by having a pint at the football.

I Work hard all week and don’t go near alcohol then on some Saturdays I like to have a few pints before the game would be great to have the choice of having one during the game also like others have said happens in other sports, countries and concerts why should others spoil that for many and others decide for them that they can’t enjoy the football with a pint instead of a Bovril or coke.

9 minutes ago, buddies1877 said:

Clearly by some of the spouting on here we should change hospitality to the AA st Mirren supporters club as clearly they can’t go 90 mins without a drink.

I’m pretty sure those in favour have no trouble going 90 mins without a drink but rather would like to enjoy there Saturday by having a pint at the football.

I Work hard all week and don’t go near alcohol then on some Saturdays I like to have a few pints before the game would be great to have the choice of having one during the game also like others have said happens in other sports, countries and concerts why should others spoil that for many and others decide for them that they can’t enjoy the football with a pint instead of a Bovril or coke.

Much too sensible. 

1 minute ago, lenziebud said:

I take it you missed the Hibs games in the 80s when  they left the ground 10 minutes early to lob the biggest bricks into the standing area behind the goal at Love Street end. 

Past behaviours were not good and this extended beyond the Old Firm.

Don't like to say it, but our own fans weren't always angels. Softly, Softly is the way to introduce any changes.

1 hour ago, Doakes said:

Having a pint with your mates is enjoyable, why else would people do it?

To feed an addiction?

Out of habit?

Because if all your mates are doing it and you don't, you are going to be pretty lonely at home?

To get pissed?

To fill a hole in their otherwise depressing lives?

Who knows.

What I do know is that struggling to get through 90 minutes of football is a sign of a drink problem.

I also know that sinking pints in 10 to 15 minutes is binge behaviour.

Pretending both of these things is perfectly normal is a classic exercise in absolute denial.

If you want to call any of this an illness I am happy to agree.

9 minutes ago, lenziebud said:

I take it you missed the Hibs games in the 80s when  they left the ground 10 minutes early to lob the biggest bricks into the standing area behind the goal at Love Street end. 

Hooliganism/Casuals were rife in the 70s and 80s. More often than not this had nothing to do with drink , I think it was more to do with a culture of young men wanting to batter each other.

We're now 30 years on from then, where trouble inside grounds is nearly non existent.

41 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

WeeBud. I like the 1877 Club. I don't personally drink alcohol but do pop in before games, though usually only for an hour. What I think I'm coming around to is giving more people an opportunity to come to the ground and have the libation of their choice before entering the football arena viewing area. Like some others, I don't fancy having alcohol in there for the reasons others give including spillages etc.  I like the idea Doakes has put forward.  A space provided with Cover, Heating, Access to Toilet Facilities and A Big Screen could be made available in the environs of the ground with no entry fee and tie in with local festivals etc. Maybe after that we might move further. Undecided on that.

How much do you think setting up all of that would cost and how quickly would it all be paid for?

1 minute ago, munoz said:

Hooliganism/Casuals were rife in the 70s and 80s. More often than not this had nothing to do with drink , I think it was more to do with a culture of young men wanting to batter each other.

We're now 30 years on from then, where trouble inside grounds is nearly non existent.

I hope your kidding me that drink had nothing to do with lobbing bricks behind our goal in the 80s ?

So why introduce an element of potential risk to it now.  More women and young kids of both sexes attending football than ever before. Great progress why introduce an element of risk for the sake of 90 minutes.

5 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

How much do you think setting up all of that would cost and how quickly would it all be paid for?

Already said that any changes should be made over time. Ask Doakes as he put the basic idea forward. Like you, I can see obstacles (not least the cost of setting something like this up) but think it would be worth looking at but initially in line with local festivals in Paisley. I am not currently in favour of a drinks licence for the whole stadium. 

Edited by St.Ricky

2 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Will it? What kind of rough profit do you expect it to bring in for the club?

I think it is anything but a no brainer.

the club would likely include the sale of beer in the stadium catering contract schedules, thereby opting for a guaranteed income.  The catering supplier would take the risk on but the club would be guaranteed their  cut.

My estimate would be a pound a pint for the club and an expectation of selling 1500 pints at each lower-tier home game, maybe 3000-4000 at a middle-tier game and up to 7-8000 pints for a sell out.  Not everyone buys a pint but most that do will generally have 2-3 each.  Even if the club only gets 50p per pint sold that is still a fair sum.

it's money they just don't get just now so yes, it really is a no-brainer

3 minutes ago, beyond our ken said:

the club would likely include the sale of beer in the stadium catering contract schedules, thereby opting for a guaranteed income.  The catering supplier would take the risk on but the club would be guaranteed their  cut.

My estimate would be a pound a pint for the club and an expectation of selling 1500 pints at each lower-tier home game, maybe 3000-4000 at a middle-tier game and up to 7-8000 pints for a sell out.  Not everyone buys a pint but most that do will generally have 2-3 each.  Even if the club only gets 50p per pint sold that is still a fair sum.

From Oaky's question, I feel he is talking about capital investment (should any be required)

1 minute ago, beyond our ken said:

What about the current 1877 club? 

If, as you're suggesting, that kind of profit is to be going to the club you can bet the prices would be extortionate and, therefore, your figures are pie in the sky as the majority will continue to use other venues in the town, unless you're suggesting they drink 2-3 pints at half time? 

No brainer, aye, I agree.