Alcohol Ban to be Lifted?

9 minutes ago, beyond our ken said:

the club would likely include the sale of beer in the stadium catering contract schedules, thereby opting for a guaranteed income.  The catering supplier would take the risk on but the club would be guaranteed their  cut.

My estimate would be a pound a pint for the club and an expectation of selling 1500 pints at each lower-tier home game, maybe 3000-4000 at a middle-tier game and up to 7-8000 pints for a sell out.  Not everyone buys a pint but most that do will generally have 2-3 each.  Even if the club only gets 50p per pint sold that is still a fair sum.

it's money they just don't get just now so yes, it really is a no-brainer

Those figures are completely unrealistic.

There is absolutely no chance of selling 1500 to 8000 pints in one afternoon. For a 4 hour selling window you would be looking at 400 pints per hour at the low end and 2000 pints at the top end. That's around 8 to 40 pints every single minute of those 4 hours. How many staff do you want to hire at £8 per hour? There isn't a pub anywhere selling that amount.

As for profit margins, Green King estimate that landlords can make £1.12 on a typical pint of Carling sold at £3.20. There is absolutely no chance the club could then take 50p of that. It's more likely the club would get a fixed fee for the rent of the facility. It might perhaps be possible to get away with charging £20k per annum but that would be a struggle to achieve I think. The club would then need to fund extra policing and a host of other costs from that £20k before paying tax as well. It wouldnt be worth it IMO.

Edited by oaksoft

4 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

What about the current 1877 club? 

If, as you're suggesting, that kind of profit is to be going to the club you can bet the prices would be extortionate and, therefore, your figures are pie in the sky as the majority will continue to use other venues in the town, unless you're suggesting they drink 2-3 pints at half time? 

No brainer, aye, I agree. 

I use the 1877 Club regularly but have no idea what drinks cost there. Why would that be an issue unless they were ridiculously out of line?

Just now, oaksoft said:

Not just that. BOKs figures are completely unrealistic.

I get your points Oaky. BYK has a different view. Me - I don't know. What I do feel is that I don't feel ready for alcohol to be widely on sale inside the Ground Proper at this time. So for me an extension of facilities would be the way to go, whether temporary or permanent but with a business case to support it. 

4 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

I get your points Oaky. BYK has a different view. 

You spent an entire career as an International Man of Mystery for businesses everywhere but you can't make a rough estimate of whether selling up to 8000 pints in a 4 hour window is realistic or not?

If you spent a career as a business advisor I'd expect you to be able to rule this in or out in terms of potential within a matter of a couple of minutes.

Come on R man. A kid could assess this. Is it realistic to suggest we can sell 8000 pints in 4 hours and is it reasonable to assume we could make 50p per pint?

Edited by oaksoft

17 hours ago, beyond our ken said:

the club would likely include the sale of beer in the stadium catering contract schedules, thereby opting for a guaranteed income.  The catering supplier would take the risk on but the club would be guaranteed their  cut.

My estimate would be a pound a pint for the club and an expectation of selling 1500 pints at each lower-tier home game, maybe 3000-4000 at a middle-tier game and up to 7-8000 pints for a sell out.  Not everyone buys a pint but most that do will generally have 2-3 each.  Even if the club only gets 50p per pint sold that is still a fair sum.

it's money they just don't get just now so yes, it really is a no-brainer

Is your keyboard adding zeros on in error? That can be the only reason for these fantasy figures.

Edited by Thorizaar

5 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

I know at Borussia Dortmund they shift 30-40,000 pints per game. Its a financial no-brainer.

Not sure what relevance that has to Saints. Those Dortmund fans are not queueing up for the delights of Tennents Lager either.

Would be interested in seeing where those figures come from.

Edited by oaksoft

18 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

To feed an addiction?

Out of habit?

Because if all your mates are doing it and you don't, you are going to be pretty lonely at home?

To get pissed?

To fill a hole in their otherwise depressing lives?

Who knows.

What I do know is that struggling to get through 90 minutes of football is a sign of a drink problem.

I also know that sinking pints in 10 to 15 minutes is binge behaviour.

Pretending both of these things is perfectly normal is a classic exercise in absolute denial.

If you want to call any of this an illness I am happy to agree.

So by your logic, everyone that has a pint is either addicted, lonely or depressed?

You really do chat some absolute pish :lol: 

The length of time it takes to drink a beer can vary on the type of beer, whether you're having it with a meal, standing up  etc. 10-15 minutes is perfectly acceptable. I don't even know why anyone would need to justify this. 15 minutes is more than enough time to enjoy a drink

2 minutes ago, Doakes said:

So by your logic, everyone that has a pint is either addicted, lonely or depressed?

The length of time it takes to drink a beer can vary on the type of beer, whether you're having it with a meal, standing up  etc. 10-15 minutes is perfectly acceptable. I don't even know why anyone would need to justify this. 15 minutes is more than enough time to enjoy a drink

Sp, you go out for a night, 4 hours, and drink 16-24 pints? :lol:

1 minute ago, Doakes said:

A pint? Why would you think I was referring to a single pint?

The only way to "enjoy" a pint in 10 to 15 minutes is to pretty much neck it. 

Maybe when you are a bit more grown up and experience a wider range of cultures you'll understand this a bit better. I can only assume you are talking from a lack of experience here.

4 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

It is unbelieveable how he can't take the 15 seconds to do the most basic of arithmetic. :lol:

I am amazed how him and his mates find time to actually talk amongst all that guzzling.

When I was a kid, the rugby playing locals used to drink at this rate. They did it to get pissed. Starting at 7pm they'd be pissed by 8.30pm having had 6 pints. So I am talking from years of experience of being around that culture and seeing how it broke people.

Doakes wants us to truly believe that this sort of behaviour isn't a drinking problem at all. It is truly bizarre.

Edited by oaksoft

1 hour ago, oaksoft said:

To feed an addiction?

Out of habit?

Because if all your mates are doing it and you don't, you are going to be pretty lonely at home?

To get pissed?

To fill a hole in their otherwise depressing lives?

Who knows.

What I do know is that struggling to get through 90 minutes of football is a sign of a drink problem.

I also know that sinking pints in 10 to 15 minutes is binge behaviour.

Pretending both of these things is perfectly normal is a classic exercise in absolute denial.

If you want to call any of this an illness I am happy to agree.

There are many reasons for having a pint or two. Not everyone who indulges is a full blown alcoholic. In fact. Perhaps introducing  drink to the ground might be productive as people won't be so bothered about leaving home early to catch the pub and meet up for pre match beer.

And, as far as I'm concerned, the part underlined, well that are a load of pish!

Edited by stlucifer

6 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Of course not :lol: that's why I mentioned it can vary depending on where you are, who you're with - if you're drinking with a meal , in a pub etc...

You can vary how long it takes you to finish a drink , this doesn't make you lonely, depressed or an alcoholic as Oaky would have us all believe! 

29 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

A pint? Why would you think I was referring to a single pint?

The only way to "enjoy" a pint in 10 to 15 minutes is to pretty much neck it. 

Maybe when you are a bit more grown up and experience a wider range of cultures you'll understand this a bit better. I can only assume you are talking from a lack of experience here.

25 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

It is unbelieveable how he can't take the 15 seconds to do the most basic of arithmetic. :lol:

I am amazed how him and his mates find time to actually talk amongst all that guzzling.

When I was a kid, the rugby playing locals used to drink at this rate. They did it to get pissed. Starting at 7pm they'd be pissed by 8.30pm having had 6 pints. So I am talking from years of experience of being around that culture and seeing how it broke people.

Doakes wants us to truly believe that this sort of behaviour isn't a drinking problem at all. It is truly bizarre.

You are incredibly self righteous, Oaky :lol: 

The levels of denial are staggering but it's not surprising to hear it.
First you don't see how struggling to go 90 minutes without a beer when you can drink plenty before and after the game is the very definition of a drinking problem. Then you are talking about 10 to 15 being more than enough time to drink a pint. To top it up, you are clearly saying that an absence of beer in the middle of the day makes life less enjoyable.
I have to tell you that none of this is normal behaviour. None of it represents a healthy attitude towards alcohol.

So because people want to have a choice they are an alcoholic and in denial?

Clearly this is an emotive subject. As a non drinker I wouldn't want to make rules up for everyone or be unduly judgemental but it does seem that most of those posting in favour appear to think that having 3,4,5,6 or more drinks might be normal.  As for a business case, I still couldn't say but I would still prefer a slowly, slowly approach to any changes.

3 hours ago, oaksoft said:

You spent an entire career as an International Man of Mystery for businesses everywhere but you can't make a rough estimate of whether selling up to 8000 pints in a 4 hour window is realistic or not?

If you spent a career as a business advisor I'd expect you to be able to rule this in or out in terms of potential within a matter of a couple of minutes.

Come on R man. A kid could assess this. Is it realistic to suggest we can sell 8000 pints in 4 hours and is it reasonable to assume we could make 50p per pint?

I know nothing about the business Oaky. 

2000 pints an hour however is over 30 pints per minute or 1 pint every two seconds. That in itself would be difficult to say the least.