Irritating Words, Phrases and Whatever Else.

shull

1 hour ago, St.Ricky said:

Pish

This probably shows how different myself and Oaky are. I despise “quintessential”, Oaky loves it.

Not sure on Oaky’s thoughts on “pish”. I however think it’s a fantastic word I use on a regular basis. It also amuses those down here who don’t use such terms (alongside words like Jobbie and any Scottish insult).

26 minutes ago, stlucifer said:

FIFY

Misrepresentation. 

Get it right or don't post. 

As you know I was questioning F Man's pervasive obsession with me. 

I did point out that he is perfectly entitled to his own sexual preference but that I am both happily maried and a committed heterosexual. 

Some folks on here... Yourself included push the envelope of behaviours just a bit too far. 

But hey.  Who cares. 

1 minute ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

This probably shows how different myself and Oaky are. I despise “quintessential”, Oaky loves it.

Not sure on Oaky’s thoughts on “pish”. I however think it’s a fantastic word I use on a regular basis. It also amuses those down here who don’t use such terms (alongside words like Jobbie and any Scottish insult).

It's only because I use "pish" that PRicky posted it.

You are right, very expressive when used, as are other expletives. :wink:

3 minutes ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

The forum is a broad church CS.  You don't need me to tell you that. 

Just to add insult to injury,  I feel the same way about "shite"

Bodily functions seem to be popular on the forum. 

30 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

You write enough of it to be familiar with the meaning. 

34 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

Misrepresentation. 

Get it right or don't post. 

As you know I was questioning F Man's pervasive obsession with me. 

I did point out that he is perfectly entitled to his own sexual preference but that I am both happily maried and a committed heterosexual. 

Some folks on here... Yourself included push the envelope of behaviours just a bit too far. 

But hey.  Who cares. 

I don't know who's chasing whom, but I do detect your obsession is more intense.

49 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

Ah see, I think shite is a fantastic word too. When used in discussion, it gets straight to the point when discussing your feelings on a chosen subject.

You remind me a little of religious mate of mine down this way. He’s not one for swear words, he won’t even say “poo”. The closest he’ll get to that is by using the word “excrement”.

1 hour ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

The word "pish" is not for me I must admit and I cringe at words like "Jobbie".
My response would be "We get it. You are working class and want everyone to know you don't have ideas above your station." It's all a bit "The lady doth protest too much" for my liking.

The English language is fabulous and it's nice to luxuriate in the diversity of it - especially where the less popular words are concerned. Somewhere along the line, certain people decided that certain words were associated with being "up your own arse". I would invite those people to go f**k themselves in a public place. :D

The difference between any two human beings is not and should not be defined by the words they use but the attitudes, ethics and values they possess.

Edited by oaksoft

5 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

The word "pish" is not for me I must admit and I cringe at words like "Jobbie".

The English language is fabulous and it's nice to luxuriate in the diversity of it - especially where the less popular words are concerned.

The difference between any two human beings is not and should not be defined by the words they use but the attitudes, ethics and values they possess.

First part - there is something really satisfying about having made you type out the word “jobbie”. 

Second part - There is one word in particular which isn’t often used that I adore - Defenestration. A truly fantastic word.

Third part - Completely agree with you there.

2 minutes ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

First part - there is something really satisfying about having made you type out the word “jobbie”. 

Second part - There is one word in particular which isn’t often used that I adore - Defenestration. A truly fantastic word.

Third part - Completely agree with you there.

Yeah it was hard for me to type and now I feel slightly soiled. And not in a good way. :D

Defenestration is a very nice word. I wouldn't be surprised if it was derived from the word "fenetre" which is the French word for window. Diversity of language at its finest.

2 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Yeah it was hard for me to type and now I feel slightly soiled. And not in a good way. :D

Defenestration is a very nice word. I wouldn't be surprised if it was derived from the word "fenetre" which is the French word for window. Diversity of language at its finest.

That just makes it even more satisfying :lol:

A good guess, but it actually comes from New Latin. De - (out of or away from). Fenestra (window or opening).

The term originated in Prague in 1618, although there was a known incident in 1419 along similar lines. Oddly enough both incidents started wars. So my advice is if you want to avoid war, don’t throw people out of windows.

20 minutes ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

That just makes it even more satisfying :lol:

A good guess, but it actually comes from New Latin. De - (out of or away from). Fenestra (window or opening).

The term originated in Prague in 1618, although there was a known incident in 1419 along similar lines. Oddly enough both incidents started wars. So my advice is if you want to avoid war, don’t throw people out of windows.

Then clearly the French word is derived from the same Latin source. Interesting.

That reminds me of a story Billy Connolly told a few years back. You've probably heard this already but here goes. He was talking about a street where people used to throw their faeces out of the window into the street below. I assume this was before indoor flushing toilets and the streets were curved to encourage the rain to wash away the human slurry but some habits are hard to break. :D So, someone wrapped a "jobbie" (sigh!) in a newspaper and chucked it out the window without looking. This is already f**king hilarious but bear with me. The newspaper opened up in mid-throw and the contents landed on the face of a passing policeman below. The policeman yelled "Ya dirty bastard". The person who threw it yelled back "I don't know why you are calling ME a dirty bastard. You are the one with shite all over your face".