Irritating Words, Phrases and Whatever Else.

shull

On 2/9/2021 at 7:17 PM, lugton said:

Been informed, Shull has been banned for life.

My imagination is in running wild here,

Can you tell me what Shull did ? or say, that was worse than posting Katie Hopkins or Trump videos that got him a lifetime ban ? because I can't think of anything more grotesque or scandalous to merit such a severe punishment :blink:

Shouldn't there be some sort of impeachment trial first before such a judgement is handed out. 

Is this a conviction without trial ? 

Adam Schiff Impeachment GIF by GIPHY News

34 minutes ago, portmahomack saint said:

posting Katie Hopkins or Trump videos that got him a lifetime ban ? 

If I was 'responsible' for this website than that would have been more than sufficient.  Bigger platforms than this have at last got round to sorting out the unfounded lies, distortions, racism and filth that pollute the online experience.

And as for conviction without trial...?  :lol:

He'd been stuck in the wank tank a few times before, as a mild suggestion that his posting was less than suitable.  I think that was perhaps a clue that -  for him - the wank tank had not been a constructive learning experience.

2 hours ago, antrin said:

If I was 'responsible' for this website than that would have been more than sufficient.  Bigger platforms than this have at last got round to sorting out the unfounded lies, distortions, racism and filth that pollute the online experience.

And as for conviction without trial...?  :lol:

He'd been stuck in the wank tank a few times before, as a mild suggestion that his posting was less than suitable.  I think that was perhaps a clue that -  for him - the wank tank had not been a constructive learning experience.

I think Mr Shull would have every right to take this to the European court of human rights... but unfortunately for him big Bojo. Katie (the mooth) hopkins. and Nigel (the asylum slayer) Farage took us out of the EU... that option is no longer available... He will now have to wait until indy 2 later this year before he can go down that route..

Welcome to the movement Shull 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 all is not lost 

3 hours ago, portmahomack saint said:

I think Mr Shull would have every right to take this to the European court of human rights... but unfortunately for him big Bojo. Katie (the mooth) hopkins. and Nigel (the asylum slayer) Farage took us out of the EU... that option is no longer available... He will now have to wait until indy 2 later this year before he can go down that route..

Welcome to the movement Shull 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 all is not lost 

Oh it is. It really is.

• 4 months later...
25 minutes ago, smcc said:

Thunder is a direct result of lightning. 🌩️

Pretty sure that's not true but happy to be corrected.

Both occur as part of the release of energy from the build up of massive charge differences in the atmosphere.

Sound and light are emitted.

Probably some heat too.

Definitely a whole heap of chemical changes too including the formation of ozone.

Our atmosphere is an amazing thing.

Both occur as part of the release of energy from the build up of massive charge differences in the atmosphere.
Probably some heat too.
Definitely a whole heap of chemical changes too including the formation of ozone.
Technically he's correct.

As am I... I've never heard anyone use that expression.

You also are correct... Tis a wonderment.

Probably some heat too.
It's not true ... sort of.

The thunder comes from the rapidly expanding and collapsing air surrounding the lightning as it makes a path through it. The air expands due to the lightning but the noise comes from the air, not directly from the lightning.

7 hours ago, Slarti said:

The thunder comes from the rapidly expanding and collapsing air surrounding the lightning as it makes a path through it. The air expands due to the lightning but the noise comes from the air, not directly from the lightning.

It's not possible to have thunder without lightning. Therefore, one interpretation could be that thunder is the direct result of rapid expansion and heating of air caused by lightning.

Although if you want to go further back, you could say that it's the ice crystals in a thunderstorm cloud colliding with each other that cause all of it................:rolleyes:

Edited by FTOF

8 hours ago, Slarti said:

Yes, presumably the air is being forced to move faster than the speed of sound.

This isn't an area I have any expertise in at all really. I've done a tiny amount of atmospheric chemistry stuff so I know little bits about ozone and pollution and how things like lightning can provoke various reactions but that's it.

I did read a nice wee book from the 50s which covered thunder and lightning amongst other things (including global warming which surprised me - didn't know they were even talking about it back then) but I've forgotten a lot of it.

Edited by oaksoft

It's not possible to have thunder without lightning. Therefore, one interpretation could be that thunder is the direct result of rapid expansion and heating of air caused by lightning.
Although if you want to go further back, you could say that it's the ice crystals in a thunderstorm cloud colliding with each other that cause all of it................default_rolleyes.gif

Eh? Why not? I would think that there must be something else that could have the same effect on air and hence cause thunder. I'm not saying it's likely or I have any idea what it would be but to say it's not possible ...? (Edit: Apparently thunder can sometimes be heard when it's snowing with no lightning required. And also, apparently, you can sometimes get lightning without thunder.)

Unless, of course, you are defining thunder in relation to lightning and not just the direct cause of the sound, as in "Thunder is the noise caused when lightning rapidly expands air" and not just "Thunder is the noise caused by rapidly expanding air". (Yes, I know neither of those are very good definitions but it's just to illustrate a point.)

2 hours ago, Slarti said:

Eh? Why not? I would think that there must be something else that could have the same effect on air and hence cause thunder. I'm not saying it's likely or I have any idea what it would be but to say it's not possible ...? (Edit: Apparently thunder can sometimes be heard when it's snowing with no lightning required. And also, apparently, you can sometimes get lightning without thunder.)

Unless, of course, you are defining thunder in relation to lightning and not just the direct cause of the sound, as in "Thunder is the noise caused when lightning rapidly expands air" and not just "Thunder is the noise caused by rapidly expanding air". (Yes, I know neither of those are very good definitions but it's just to illustrate a point.)

Rather than some of us pretending we have the faintest idea how this all works because we've spent 5 minutes Googling it, here's a link to some people who you can be sure absolutely do know.

https://www.nssl.noaa.gov/education/svrwx101/lightning/faq/

Looks like I was on the right tracks about the build up of a charge differential and then energy being subsequently released. The bit I forgot was about the dielectric (in this case the air) breakdown causing lightning although the mechanism behind that is perhaps not so clear. You then see thunder coming from the shock wave as the air tries to move above the speed of sound so you were right there.

Most interestingly of all, it's the lightning channel which precipitates the thunder so @smcc was right all along.

Between the 3 of us, we finally got there. And had an unusually interesting chat in the process. Well at least I was interesting. Least said about you.....:P

Edited by oaksoft