Irritating Words, Phrases and Whatever Else.

shull

3 hours ago, Slarti said:

Eh? Why not? I would think that there must be something else that could have the same effect on air and hence cause thunder. I'm not saying it's likely or I have any idea what it would be but to say it's not possible ...? (Edit: Apparently thunder can sometimes be heard when it's snowing with no lightning required. And also, apparently, you can sometimes get lightning without thunder.)

Unless, of course, you are defining thunder in relation to lightning and not just the direct cause of the sound, as in "Thunder is the noise caused when lightning rapidly expands air" and not just "Thunder is the noise caused by rapidly expanding air". (Yes, I know neither of those are very good definitions but it's just to illustrate a point.)

Thundersnow does have lightning.

Thundersnow - Met Office

It's not possible to get lightning without thunder.

Severe Weather 101: Lightning FAQ (noaa.gov)

Is it possible to have thunder without lightning?

No, it is not possible to have thunder without lightning. Thunder starts as a shockwave from the explosively expanding lightning channel when a large current causes rapid heating. However, it is possible that you might see lightning and not hear the thunder because it was too far away. Sometimes this is called “heat lightning” because it occurs most often in the summer.

If you don't hear thunder, you're either to far away to hear it i.e from a distant storm. Sometimes referred to as heat lightning. Either that or you are requiring a hearing test.

If you're talking about thunder as a generalised sound, then a sonic boom caused by a jet fighter follows similar principles. In fact thunder is probably a type of sonic boom.

Edited by FTOF

If you don't hear thunder, you're either to far away to hear it i.e from a distant storm. Sometimes referred to as heat lightning. Either that or you are requiring a hearing test.
If you're talking about thunder as a generalised sound, then a sonic boom caused by a jet fighter follows similar principles. In fact thunder is probably a type of sonic boom.

You did notice I said "apparently", didn't you? Both bits of info came from the Library of Congress website but even they weren't commiting themselves 100%, just reporting what others had claimed to experience, hence the "apparently".

As I previously said, if you are defining "thunder" using "lightning", then of course you can't have the former without the latter.

Or is a sonic boom a type of thunder? [emoji16]

25 minutes ago, Slarti said:

You did notice I said "apparently", didn't you? Both bits of info came from the Library of Congress website but even they weren't commiting themselves 100%, just reporting what others had claimed to experience, hence the "apparently".

As I previously said, if you are defining "thunder" using "lightning", then of course you can't have the former without the latter.

Or is a sonic boom a type of thunder? emoji16.png

Could be. Apparently.:P

On 7/7/2021 at 6:22 PM, Slarti said:

Or is a sonic boom a type of thunder? emoji16.png

No; but thunder is a type of sonic boom!

No; but thunder is a type of sonic boom!

If you had actually followed the discussion, you could have saved the time you wasted typing that.

In fact thunder is probably a type of sonic boom.

Or is a sonic boom a type of thunder? [emoji16]

18 hours ago, Slarti said:

If you had actually followed the discussion, you could have saved the time you wasted typing that.

Why were you asking then? I was simply responding to your query "Or is a sonic boom a type of thunder? emoji16.png

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...