January (AKA The last chance saloon)

DLBud

So, it looks like we’ll do well to still be in touch with the others in the mini league at the end of this year.

Let’s assume we have funds for about 4 players to add to what we have, acknowledging some will be gone.

Considering you could perm any 4 from 11 (maybe 10 if you give Sammy a pass) then what positions would you prioritise?

8 minutes ago, DLBud said:

So, it looks like we’ll do well to still be in touch with the others in the mini league at the end of this year.

Let’s assume we have funds for about 4 players to add to what we have, acknowledging some will be gone.

Considering you could perm any 4 from 11 (maybe 10 if you give Sammy a pass) then what positions would you prioritise?

The manager. 

I'd prioritise the midfield. The back line is better when Anton is fit, Bairdy plays well with the right partner, Hodson and McGinn know this league. When Gary Mack returns that may help boost us too. 

Up front Jackson looks capable of getting goals but needs better service. Mullen is not the answer, Cammy has it in him to be that n10 but can't find any of last season's form. We need someone else in though, if Jackson gets injured we are f**ked for scoring.

Midfield doesn't supply either end well enough. Willock seems alright but needs experience alongside him, McGinn is struggling (injury?) and we are missing Magennis too. Hammill could be excellent for us in time. But I think it's a major problem right now.

1 minute ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

I'd prioritise the midfield. The back line is better when Anton is fit, Bairdy plays well with the right partner, Hodson and McGinn know this league. When Gary Mack returns that may help boost us too. 

Up front Jackson looks capable of getting goals but needs better service. Mullen is not the answer, Cammy has it in him to be that n10 but can't find any of last season's form. We need someone else in though, if Jackson gets injured we are f**ked for scoring.

Midfield doesn't supply either end well enough. Willock seems alright but needs experience alongside him, McGinn is struggling (injury?) and we are missing Magennis too. Hammill could be excellent for us in time. But I think it's a major problem right now.

FFS, how long can a player be mysteriously injured? 

As i mentioned elsewhere the likelihood is we will lose Hammill and Jackson at the end of the year. They are both here to get match fit, and attract interest from English League One, or indeed a bigger club up here. They wont be re-signing to get relegated. I think also offers might come in for big Anton too from clubs who want a bit of quality in their defence.

they could all pick up double the money elsewhere. Our league position will make it extremely hard to recruit quality players in January, best hope might be getting a good couple of loans.

2 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

FFS, the forum police. :byebye

What has the manager done to show he's got what it takes to keep us up, never mind anything better? 

Signed 3 players who are a vast improvement on what we had.

2 hours ago, munoz said:

Signed 3 players who are a vast improvement on what we had.

Aye, and what has that done for us? 

6 league games played, 1 very decent point, feck all else, a couple of tankings into the bargain including a shambles yesterday. 

This season has, imo, always been about staying up, if he can't do that with 34 games then we've made a feck up. 

Edited by faraway saint

2 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Aye, and what has that done for us? 

5 league games played, 1 very decent point, feck all else, a couple of tankings into the bargain including a shambles yesterday. 

This season has, imo, always been about staying up, if he can't do that with 34 games then we've made a feck up. 

So why don't you judge him at the end of the season then ? 

You would think after the turnaround we had with Jack Ross,  you'd think some people would show a little patience. Just like then, this will take time for him to put his own mark on the team. 

29 minutes ago, munoz said:

So why don't you judge him at the end of the season then ? 

You would think after the turnaround we had with Jack Ross,  you'd think some people would show a little patience. Just like then, this will take time for him to put his own mark on the team. 

The way Stubbs was judged? 

All's fair etc.

I'm only posting what I've seen and the facts back that up.

Edited by faraway saint

As i mentioned elsewhere the likelihood is we will lose Hammill and Jackson at the end of the year. They are both here to get match fit, and attract interest from English League One, or indeed a bigger club up here. They wont be re-signing to get relegated. I think also offers might come in for big Anton too from clubs who want a bit of quality in their defence.
they could all pick up double the money elsewhere. Our league position will make it extremely hard to recruit quality players in January, best hope might be getting a good couple of loans.

Really?

We have the option to extend the deals though so they might just have to get fit till the end of the season.

9 minutes ago, buddies1877 said:

Stubbs had a transfer window and a bigger budget to work with but doubled it on utter shite that Kearney is left to deal with outside a transfer window for now that’s the facts

SOME of the facts.

What are you trying to say, it's acceptable for Kearney to have 34 games, see us relegated and still blame Stubbs?

Gies piece, a manager is meant to improve the players, have a decent formation and make decent changes when required, not seeing much of any of that, are you? 

Edited by faraway saint

1 hour ago, Hendo said:

Bud the Baker, please stop laughing at Faraways posts, it only encourages him. 

McGinn's most significant contribution so far this season was his Evening Times article which, in part, led to AS getting the sack - his form has been mediocre and is often defended by mentioning "the injury" as plenty others have noted.

AS was far from blameless but I fear for Kearney - his honeymoon period won't last much beyond January (it may not even last that long) and if he doesn't make a JR style transformation the fickle element amongst our support will turn on him.

Two decent posts.

Edited by Bud the Baker

24 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

SOME of the facts.

What are you trying to say, it's acceptable for Kearney to have 34 games, see us relegated and still blame Stubbs?

Gies piece, a manager is meant to improve the players, have a decent formation and make decent changes when required, not seeing much of any of that, are you? 

He can only work with what he has player wise. The recruitment pre season was shambolic and that's not OK's fault. I have no doubt the board know we are a mess and have agreed with OK that it's a medium to long term objective to produce a team good enough to survive in the top league. It may even be accepted that we are likely to go down and OK will be around to take us forward.

8 minutes ago, nedflanders123 said:

He can only work with what he has player wise. The recruitment pre season was shambolic and that's not OK's fault. I have no doubt the board know we are a mess and have agreed with OK that it's a medium to long term objective to produce a team good enough to survive in the top league. It may even be accepted that we are likely to go down and OK will be around to take us forward.

So, playing a formation and making substitutions that are baffling are down to Stubbs?

All the poor performances are from Stubbs signings? 

Did you watch yesterdays game? 

FFS, we would be as well blaming Ross for the shite squad he left Stubbs with, as for accepting we are likely to go down, another who will happily watch us slide into the diddy league. 

Edited by faraway saint

So, playing a formation and making substitutions that are baffling are down to Stubbs? All the poor performances are from Stubbs signings? 

FFS, we would be as well blaming Ross for the shite squad he left Stubbs with, as for accepting we are likely to go down, another who will happily watch us slide into the diddy league. 

[emoji23]

What formation starting line up and substitutions would you have picked?

9 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

So, playing a formation and making substitutions that are baffling are down to Stubbs?

All the poor performances are from Stubbs signings? 

Yes, I did watch the game. The simple answer is that we do not have (in certain positions) players good enough for this league. Outplayed too.  I dont want us to be relegated but on the basis of our performances so far, we look out of our depth.  

Edited by nedflanders123