January (AKA The last chance saloon)

DLBud

2 hours ago, The Original 59er said:

FS, to use a well known phrase; "you can't make a silk purse out of..........................."

Not saying that some tactics can't be adopted to alter what happens out on the park but if the basic confidence isn't there and the players are struggling to compete at Premiership level, there isn't a lot that the Manager can do.

Again- Livingston- ??

So if we get Gary Holt , we are 4th ?

4 hours ago, Soctty said:

I've seen every home game under Kearney, and have been impressed with the competitiveness of the team. We haven't picked up the points our performances have merited, and with a bit of luck could have picked up a few more in those games. Away form seems to be completely different, although I haven't seen those games but the general consensus is that we've been pretty much the opposite away from home to what we have been at home.

I think we will once again be competitive on Wednesday night, and with a bit of luck to go with another good home performance, we could pick up three points. 

Fair comment.  We could and should have picked up a point against Kilmarnock and the sloppy defending that allowed Hibs to score apart, desrved a point there.  No more though. 

5 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

Fair comment.  We could and should have picked up a point against Kilmarnock and the sloppy defending that allowed Hibs to score apart, desrved a point there.  No more though. 

Kamberi fouled in the box for the Hibs goal. 

35 minutes ago, buddies1877 said:

Naive when does that come into the rules of football.

You can’t hold two players in the box it’s a foul simple as that.

I don't condone it. The ref didn't pick up any offence. If the same situation arises then I hope our players might realise they are being out for a reason.

16 hours ago, buddies1877 said:

Naive when does that come into the rules of football.

You can’t hold two players in the box it’s a foul simple as that.

Time and time again all supporters see what is blatant fouling going unchecked. It is frustrating as hell and only tends to encourage vitriol and negative comments on the standard of refereeing. 

However you see it on the TV in England too and whilst I would say at Premiers level it is pretty well acceptable, there too you see fouls committed and going unchecked.

One law I would like to see adopted in football coming from rugby is more use made of the advantage law. It has slightly crept in to football but it is almost blown up within seconds whilst in rugby it is allowed to run for a short period to see if a real advantage is gained. Too often in football if the ref allows an advantage and nothing comes of it he lets the game go one, whilst it would be better for both the fans and the team if it was brought back to the original point of the foul and a free kick awarded.

I suppose my general feel is that here in Scotland we have a standard of football that is equivalent to the 3rd / 4th level in England, where there too the refereeing is seriously questionable at times. :angry:

As i mentioned elsewhere the likelihood is we will lose Hammill and Jackson at the end of the year. They are both here to get match fit, and attract interest from English League One, or indeed a bigger club up here. They wont be re-signing to get relegated. I think also offers might come in for big Anton too from clubs who want a bit of quality in their defence.

they could all pick up double the money elsewhere. Our league position will make it extremely hard to recruit quality players in January, best hope might be getting a good couple of loans.

IMG_6260.jpg

Wtf is Jackson doing he’s still got another 2 months to prove his fitness and double his money!!

We need to get more tall physical  players with a bit of aggression  in. Our team is to small and easily pushed of the ball with no agression. The Motherwell team on Wednesday was full of tall physical players even the guy's warming up at half time were the same. We need a team like that. Our players get bullied every game.

6 hours ago, Paisley brazilians said:

We need to get more tall physical  players with a bit of aggression  in. Our team is to small and easily pushed of the ball with no agression. The Motherwell team on Wednesday was full of tall physical players even the guy's warming up at half time were the same. We need a team like that. Our players get bullied every game.

Got to agree with this.  Thought we played with more aggression today. 

Personally i think we should all temper our expectations regarding the January transfer window, and the number of new signings that could materialise. On the loans front i cant see, Hodson, Edwards, or Willock going out. And correct me if i am wrong, but at present only Hammill's contract is up then?

that coupled with our need to only recruit quality rather than quantity should see us learn the hidden lesson from Ross's famous January 2017 transfer window. That being for every Harry Davis, or Stephen McGinn, there are always plenty Craig Storrie's, Pal Fyelde's, Josh Todd's, Rory Loy's and Billy O Brien's to remember.

19 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Personally i think we should all temper our expectations regarding the January transfer window, and the number of new signings that could materialise. On the loans front i cant see, Hodson, Edwards, or Willock going out. And correct me if i am wrong, but at present only Hammill's contract is up then?

that coupled with our need to only recruit quality rather than quantity should see us learn the hidden lesson from Ross's famous January 2017 transfer window. That being for every Harry Davis, or Stephen McGinn, there are always plenty Craig Storrie's, Pal Fyelde's, Josh Todd's, Rory Loy's and Billy O Brien's to remember.

I agree about having realistic expectations, however, just a note, some of the players you mentioned done a job for us. 

O'Brien, Todd and Loy provided something that we needed at that time, obviously just not for the longer term.

However, again, I will remain realistic when it comes to Jan as I am aware that we may see just one or two decent players coming in (if we are lucky). Really need some aggression in the middle (a goodwin). I think having Magenbnis back would also provide us more options as he is one with a bit of quality.

9 minutes ago, spankin_panda said:

I agree about having realistic expectations, however, just a note, some of the players you mentioned done a job for us. 

O'Brien, Todd and Loy provided something that we needed at that time, obviously just not for the longer term.

However, again, I will remain realistic when it comes to Jan as I am aware that we may see just one or two decent players coming in (if we are lucky). Really need some aggression in the middle (a goodwin). I think having Magenbnis back would also provide us more options as he is one with a bit of quality.

Yip Magennis should be back, and possibly Big Mack too? So the amount of players we will actually need will be small, injuries allowing.

5 hours ago, Lord Pityme said:

Yip Magennis should be back, and possibly Big Mack too? So the amount of players we will actually need will be small, injuries allowing.

You are not living in the real world if you think these 2 are enough - we need a number of new better players.  

15 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Given we only have ne player at present out of contract, and a big squad. Where do you think the money, and opportunity is going to come from to enable us to sign ten players?

Where did you conjure up the 10 players from?

I don't believe we have fully committed our full budget for the year yet... that would be daft, given that a new manager came in after the transfer window had closed.

He did pick up 3, but now with some months of planning, and a few explorations into who might be able and willing to come, and who we might get rid off or loan out too (other teams will have made enquiries to us as well - this will provide more scope for changes -  there are a number of players, who if they want a game every week, then will need to move, they may sit it out, but don't think they all will ). There is no certainty that Hammill will have a contract extension either... (I hope he is playing so well and wants one though)

I don't think we have blown all the McGinn money either - that too would have been daft without giving OK some time to see how he might spent some of it... And keeping back money that could help us to stay up would not be sound business under certain circumstances.

I cannot comment on how the finance has been so far - but, have home crowds brought in more or less than expected? Has TV revenue been exactly what we expected? What about other sponsorship that has been announced - don't think things like these were budgeted for? Have we been able to reclaim any insurance money for inured players or at least stop paying for them, e.g. Rodgers?

On the other hand - the money that we would have paid Miller each week was definitely a stretch for Dundee... so much so McIntyre has brought in only 1 and will have to shift quite a few in January for sure..

I expect at least 3, maybe 4 or 5 in during January - who knows - we can but wait and see.

9 minutes ago, Sweeper07 said:

Where did you conjure up the 10 players from?

I don't believe we have fully committed our full budget for the year yet... that would be daft, given that a new manager came in after the transfer window had closed.

He did pick up 3, but now with some months of planning, and a few explorations into who might be able and willing to come, and who we might get rid off or loan out too (other teams will have made enquiries to us as well - this will provide more scope for changes -  there are a number of players, who if they want a game every week, then will need to move, they may sit it out, but don't think they all will ). There is no certainty that Hammill will have a contract extension either... (I hope he is playing so well and wants one though)

I don't think we have blown all the McGinn money either - that too would have been daft without giving OK some time to see how he might spent some of it... And keeping back money that could help us to stay up would not be sound business under certain circumstances.

I cannot comment on how the finance has been so far - but, have home crowds brought in more or less than expected? Has TV revenue been exactly what we expected? What about other sponsorship that has been announced - don't think things like these were budgeted for? Have we been able to reclaim any insurance money for inured players or at least stop paying for them, e.g. Rodgers?

On the other hand - the money that we would have paid Miller each week was definitely a stretch for Dundee... so much so McIntyre has brought in only 1 and will have to shift quite a few in January for sure..

I expect at least 3, maybe 4 or 5 in during January - who knows - we can but wait and see.

Sky Sports are set to plough £100m into Scottish football with a three-year TV rights deal worth a whopping £30m-plus per season, blowing BT Sport out of the picture. (Scottish Sun)

Think this is incentive enough to stay in the top League  where the bigger shares are dished out? ?