Jimmy Nicholl - Yet another coach!

div

The Sun says we are trying to bring in Jimmy Nicholl.

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/3414053/rangers-jimmy-nicholl-st-mirren-oran-kearney/

How many coaches do we need?

We've got Gus as Technical Director, but also appearing on the training ground (as the article above says). We've got Rice, Langfield and also Allan McManus pitching in on first team affairs.

And now another one?

Money must be pouring out, unless Rice is on his way?

Gus isn't a coach. The Technical Director was a new role specifically created for him. 

We lost 2 coaches when Stubbs and Jackson went. Only replaced with OK. So we are 1 coach down on where we were at the beginning of the season.

Nichol would be a great appointment IMO. Got lots of experience to help OK and would have decent contacts.

Jimmy Nichol would be a great appointment.  An experienced head who knows Scottish football inside out.  A man who took Raith Rovers on an unbeaten season, a man who has been in demand in Scottish football for many years. 

Great appointment if it happens, I commend oor Oran in this wise move, this wise move indeed.

All decent managers have a good solid number 2 !seriously though this is a good appointment as Kearney needs someone who has a good understanding of the Scottish game. The back room staff now looks better with Rice, Nichol and Langfield supporting the manager. It does throw a question mark over Rice’s position but let’s just trust the process and if results turn in our favour no one will care if we have one or twenty coaches.

22 minutes ago, aldo_j said:

No real issue with it, as means we are back up to the same numbers we had previously.

The only new role that’s been created is the DoF role for Gus. I’d imagine, heading towards January, that’s his time will be taken up with scouting and agents.

Two more than we usually have in the Championship……………….:whistle

2 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

Two more than we usually have in the Championship……………….:whistle

Yes, but JR was vocal about adding another coach to the roster especially as we stepped up.

Even going back to under Gus, we had Millen and Balmer along with a GK coach.

Lennon had Craig, McPhee and Mathers.

1 minute ago, aldo_j said:

Yes, but JR was vocal about adding another coach to the roster especially as we stepped up.

Had almost obliterated Craig from my thoughts... .....:death

Slightly concerned with the money that's potentially disappearing from the club but I couldn't argue with the selection of Nicholl. 

I think it would be a massive boost to Kearney to have someone who he feels he can bounce off of and who is actually his man and has his back. He came here and got landed with Rice and MacPherson - not to suggest that there's anything wrong with them - but equally, you want your own man by your side. 

I can imagine that it would be a lonely role for Kearney just now, especially without his family as has been highlighted. Having an experienced, fellow Irishman with a great knowledge of Scottish football can only be a step forward if it's what Oran wants. 

5 minutes ago, aldo_j said:

Yeah going further back Tom Hendrie added Joe McLaughlin to the coaching staff when we were promoted - two questions.

• Do we need an extra coach in the top flight?
  • Do we need Jimmy Nicholl now?

Im definitely in the camp that says appointing Nicholl will make us top heavy in coaching and will just be another guy well potentially be looking to punt shortly.

I still dont get why we need a TD if we are now looking at an experianced coach to assist OK. I thought the TD was brought in to assist OK ?

Maybe this will all turn out well in the morning- but is it just me that thinks since Jack left we are exposed and the we are totally lost without him ?

Said it at the time. Jim Goodwin  and by all means the likes of Jimmy Nicoll...................... why ? why ? the BOD set stupid expectations .....................

Rumour is Pars are looking at Goodwin