Jimmy Nicholl - Yet another coach!

div

Is it just coincidence that JG turns down the Dundee job shortly before it is announced that JN is appointed assistant coach at that club?

If not, what are the chances that St Mirren have put out feelers for JG as assistant manager to fill the gap left by JN's departure?

And what are the chances that JG would be interested in the role at Saints when he is a manager in his own right at Alloa?

Would the OK/JG combination be a good setup for us?

Good grief. Goodwin has knocked back even talking to the club about becoming manager on one, if not two, occasions in the last 12 months. His stoke has only risen since then. Why on earth would he even consider becoming our assistant?

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Good grief. Goodwin has knocked back even talking to the club about becoming manager on one, if not two, occasions in the last 12 months. His stoke has only risen since then. Why on earth would he even consider becoming our assistant?

Because it is a full time job?

I wonder if JG wasn't happy with the amount of influences that would be roundabout him at Dundee , and that he potentially could be set up as the fall guy . No doubt all will be revealed in this week's Alloa Advertiser . 

With regards to OK next year is sort of make or break for him . His two year break from teaching will be up and he will have a big decision to make . If he does well with us there could be a right good contract on offer , but if we aren't in the top six or don't win anything , the offer might not come , so it's then I think there's a chance of him leaving us .

Goody I think is aware of this , and maybe see,s this as his opportunity . 

1 hour ago, MenstrieSaint said:

I wonder if JG wasn't happy with the amount of influences that would be roundabout him at Dundee , and that he potentially could be set up as the fall guy . No doubt all will be revealed in this week's Alloa Advertiser . 

With regards to OK next year is sort of make or break for him . His two year break from teaching will be up and he will have a big decision to make . If he does well with us there could be a right good contract on offer , but if we aren't in the top six or don't win anything , the offer might not come , so it's then I think there's a chance of him leaving us .

I hardly thinking missing out on top 6 or failing to win a cup 1 season after staying up via the play-offs will be judged a failure by anyone*. Last season we were knocked out the League Cup by Aberdeen 4-0, knocked out the Scottish Cup by Dundee United at home and finished 11th and were 12 points behind Livingston, I think at one point we were about 20 points behind them. 

Have Tommy Wright or Stephen Robinson had unimpressive seasons since St Johnstone and Motherwell (clubs better placed than us at that moment) failed to make the top 6 or win anything?

* anyone = any reasonable person. LPM and Tick Tock Cat will no doubt find reasons to berate Oran's performance compared with Stubbs!

Edited by Dibbles old paperboy

1 hour ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

I hardly thinking missing out on top 6 or failing to win a cup 1 season after staying up via the play-offs will be judged a failure by anyone*. Last season we were knocked out the League Cup by Aberdeen 4-0, knocked out the Scottish Cup by Dundee United at home and finished 11th and were 12 points behind Livingston, I think at one point we were about 20 points behind them. 

Have Tommy Wright or Stephen Robinson had unimpressive seasons since St Johnstone and Motherwell (clubs better placed than us at that moment) failed to make the top 6 or win anything?

* anyone = any reasonable person. LPM and Tick Tock Cat will no doubt find reasons to berate Oran's performance compared with Stubbs!

I'm not saying it's failure , but I'm suggesting the big job might not come if Saints don't get a top six place . And the temptation of a part time job and teaching career in Northern Ireland might seem not a bad option .

1 hour ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

Still hailed by some as a great achievement.

Easily pleased. 

19 hours ago, MenstrieSaint said:

At the moment we don’t have a budget to compete with the Motherwell’s , St Johnstone’s of our league. Luck might get us into the top six. Reality with our budget ( for the moment ) is bottom four in my opinion. 

Apparently he has a very well paid job in the confectionery industry according to posts on P&B.
Yes, I know. However Alloa have training sessions 3 nights a week plus Saturday games. He may prefer to ditch the very consuming part time job so he can spend more time with his family.

2 hours ago, FTOF said:

Apparently he has a very well paid job in the confectionery industry according to posts on P&B.

He is a rep for Cadbury's (at least, he was two years ago https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/alloa-athletic/jim-goodwin-from-midfield-hardman-to-sweetie-salesman-1-4432724) however I have a feeling the well paid bit was to wind-up Dundee fans as to the reason he wasn't their new manager.

He's reached the stage where he'd take a decent full-time club job but he sure as hell isn't going to be our new assistant.

33 minutes ago, Stu said:

He is a rep for Cadbury's (at least, he was two years ago https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/alloa-athletic/jim-goodwin-from-midfield-hardman-to-sweetie-salesman-1-4432724) however I have a feeling the well paid bit was to wind-up Dundee fans as to the reason he wasn't their new manager.

He's reached the stage where he'd take a decent full-time club job but he sure as hell isn't going to be our new assistant.

He still is, saw him at a trade event recently.

Not sure what level he’s at, but FMCG companies pay pretty well. Entirely plausible that his current combined wage is higher than what’s on offer as Dundee manager. 

4 hours ago, Sonny said:
4 hours ago, FTOF said:

Yes, I know. However Alloa have training sessions 3 nights a week plus Saturday games. He may prefer to ditch the very consuming part time job so he can spend more time with his family.

Would be surprised if Alloa trained three times  a week , probably twice a week with a matchday and another evening doing a bit of scouting . 

I think he has a great working relationship with Mike Mulreaney and is very happy with the squad of players he has , and maybe fancies his chances of keeping Alloa up again and seeing what's available in 2020 . 

4 hours ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

At the moment we don’t have a budget to compete with the Motherwell’s , St Johnstone’s of our league. Luck might get us into the top six. Reality with our budget ( for the moment ) is bottom four in my opinion. 

Who is bankrolling the Fakes? Shocking home attendances yet still able to afford to outbid teams with bigger fan base/support

1 minute ago, nedflanders123 said:

Who is bankrolling the Fakes? Shocking home attendances yet still able to afford to outbid teams with bigger fan base/support

I think it's been mentioned on here many times over the years they are very good at the commercial side, maximising the stadium for various events etc.

33 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

I think it's been mentioned on here many times over the years they are very good at the commercial side, maximising the stadium for various events etc.

Mostly funeral gatherings I was told. Helped by the location close to the Perth crematorium.