Travel On The Bus For Hee Haw

shull

33 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

And every year you like to shout about it.

Ok, it's not your thing, just butt out and leave people to respect in the way they choose. :thumbsdown

Just a few more days to go until poppy fascist week, where non-wearers of the poppy can enjoy being targetted non-stop by an army of self appointed cunts with nothing better to do with their lives. Activities will include but not be limited to the scrutiny of any and all one minute silences for the slightest noise, badgering of people at work by rattling charity tins at them and of course that old favourite - online abuse.

What a joyous, respectful time of year this is.:lol:

Edited by oaksoft

2 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Just a few more days to go until poppy fascist week, where non-wearers of the poppy can enjoy being targetted non-stop by an army of self appointed cunts with nothing better to do with their lives. Activities will include but not be limited to the scrutiny of any and all one minute silences for the slightest noise, badgering of people at work by rattling charity tins at them and of course that old favourite - online abuse.

What a joyous, respectful time of year this is.:lol:

:snore

This isn't tacky at all.

Show you care folks.

https://www.poppyshop.org.uk/ww1-centery-wreath-bag.html

https://www.poppyshop.org.uk/falling-poppy-petals-cotton-bag.html

And my personal favourite:

https://www.poppyshop.org.uk/ladies-poppy-top-stripe.html

For the truly discerning carer, this website also provides poppy calendars, poppy watches and poppy scented candles :lol:

Disappointingly, Poppy Scotland are no longer selling poppy emblazoned dog poo bags.

That's right, it was possible to show you truly care about our fallen heros by bagging your dog's shite in a white bag with a poppy stamped on it.

An old 80s song asked "how low can you go".

We now have the answer.

Can anyone beat a poppy on a plastic bag for dog shite?

Just now, oaksoft said:

Disappointingly, Poppy Scotland are no longer selling poppy emblazoned dog poo bags.

That's right, it was possible to show you truly care about our fallen heros by bagging your dog's shite in a white bag with a poppy stamped on it.

An old 80s song asked "how low can you go".

We now have the answer.

Can anyone beat a poppy on a plastic bag for dog shite?

Aye you trolling a thread and only looking at this in your narrow minded view now feck off and let it be. :thumbsdown

The fourth last part of this is the important part, for me anyway.

"On November 7th, 1920, in strictest secrecy, four unidentified British bodies were exhumed from temporary battlefield cemeteries at Ypres, Arras, the Asine and the Somme.

None of the soldiers who did the digging were told why.

The bodies were taken by field ambulance to GHQ at St-Pol-Sur-Ter Noise. Once there, the bodies were draped with the union flag.

Sentries were posted and Brigadier-General Wyatt and a Colonel Gell selected one body at random. The other three were reburied.

A French Honour Guard was selected and stood by the coffin overnight of the chosen soldier overnight.

On the morning of the 8th November, a specially designed coffin made of oak from the grounds of Hampton Court arrived and the Unknown Warrior was placed inside.

On top was placed a crusaders sword and a shield on which was inscribed:

"A British Warrior who fell in the GREAT WAR 1914-1918 for King and Country".

On the 9th of November, the Unknown Warrior was taken by horse-drawn carriage through Guards of Honour and the sound of tolling bells and bugle calls to the quayside.

There, he was saluted by Marechal Foche and loaded onto HMS Verdun bound for Dover. The coffin stood on the deck covered in wreaths, surrounded by the French Honour Guard.

Upon arrival at Dover, the Unknown Warrior was met with a nineteen gun salute - something that was normally only reserved for Field Marshals.

A special train had been arranged and he was then conveyed to Victoria Station, London.

He remained there overnight, and, on the morning of the 11th of November, he was finally taken to Westminster Abbey.

The idea of the unknown warrior was thought of by a Padre called David Railton who had served on the front line during the Great War the union flag he had used as an altar cloth whilst at the front, was the one that had been draped over the coffin.

It was his intention that all of the relatives of the 517,773 combatants whose bodies had not been identified could believe that the Unknown Warrior could very well be their lost husband, father, brother or son...

THIS is the reason we wear poppies.

We do not glorify war.

We remember - with humility - the great and the ultimate sacrifices that were made, not just in this war, but in every war and conflict where our service personnel have fought - to ensure the liberty and freedoms that we now take for granted.

Every year, on the 11th of November, we remember the Unknown Warrior.

At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, we will remember them."

26 minutes ago, alanb said:

The fact that ex service men need to rely on charities is the biggest issue.

Aye, why is that? 

Shouldn't they be supporting themselves the same as everyone else? 

I have the utmost respect what they do, and have done, while in the military but when they leave I'm not convinced they should be supported more that the general public. 

Aye, why is that? 
Shouldn't they be supporting themselves the same as everyone else? 
I have the utmost respect what they do, and have done, while in the military but when they leave I'm not convinced they should be supported more that the general public. 

Agree but if severely injured and need to rely on a place like Erskine hospital then I think, if that place is needed it should be funded by Governments and not rely on the public
The public too should not have to rely on charity when there is plenty money to go round if spent correctly

2 minutes ago, alanb said:

Agree but if severely injured and need to rely on a place like Erskine hospital then I think, if that place is needed it should be funded by Governments and not rely on the public
The public too should not have to rely on charity when there is plenty money to go round if spent correctly

I agree on the injury issue but the vast majority seem to feel they are due continued support which I don't agree with. 

58 minutes ago, cockles1987 said:

Only read that story recently.

The people who died to maitain freedom and democracy will be remembered.

I would be less inclined to see this as pious tripe if we remembered never to go to war again.

We are obviously pretty shite at ACTUALLY remembering any of it given that we directly contributed to WW2, took part in the Korean War, the Falklands War, the 1st Gulf War, invaded Iraq, invaded Afghanistan amd were involved in providing arms to every conflict on every continent over the last century.

No, I am going to go ahead and say that this is all pious shite and we need to stop it.

Edited by oaksoft

2 hours ago, oaksoft said:

I would be less inclined to see this as pious tripe if we remembered never to go to war again.

We are obviously pretty shite at ACTUALLY remembering any of it given that we directly contributed to WW2, took part in the Korean War, the Falklands War, the 1st Gulf War, invaded Iraq, invaded Afghanistan amd were involved in providing arms to every conflict on every continent over the last century.

No, I am going to go ahead and say that this is all pious shite and we need to stop it.

Casualties[edit]

220px-Kriegerdenkmal_Preying_-_Bild_4_-_

Detail of the war memorial in the village of Preying (Saldenburg, Bavaria) naming Infantryman Mathias Ebner as killed during the Battle of Neuve Chapelle, 12 March 1915

Of the 40,000 Allied troops in the battle, 7,000 British and 4,200 Indian casualties were suffered. The 7th Division had 2,791 casualties, the 8th Division 4,814 losses, the Meerut Division 2,353 casualties and the Lahore Division 1,694 losses.[18] In 2010 Humphries and Maker recorded German casualties from 9–20 March as c. 10,000 men and in 2018, Jonathan Boff wrote that the British suffered 12,592 casualties and that the German official history estimate of "almost 10,000 men", was closer to 8,500 according to the records of the 6th Army and the diary kept by Crown Prince Rupprecht.[19][20] The 6th Bavarian Reserve Division lost 6,017 men from 11–13 March, Bavarian Reserve Infantry Regiment 21 losing 1,665 casualties, Infantry Regiment 14 of the VII Corps lost 666 troops from 7–12 March. Infantry Regiment 13 lost 1,322 casualties from 6–27 March.[18]

Image result for Members of D Company, 4th Battalion The Black Watch

In those casualities was my Great Uncle Jimmy back row 2nd from right, aged 18  , my Great Uncle Stewart, middle row 2nd from right aged 19.....

I will be remembering them and the 50 million that died in both Wars.

As far I am aware not many of that 50 million had a choice !!!!

Edited by DougJamie