Poll: When Will Oran Match Alan?

TopCat

What game?  

34 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

Perhaps part of the explanation for that is that Oran had a different assessment of the players he inherited from Jack Ross than Alan Stubbs had?

Eg Gary MacKenzie - told at La Manga training camp prior to any friendlies or League Cup games being played that he was welcome to find another club. He's been pretty decent since returning from injury.

Hladky (Kearney signing)

Paul McGinn (Jack Ross signing who Stubbsy rated highly enough to bring in Lee Hodson on loan for the season)

Gary MacKenzie (Alex Rae signing, contract extended by Jack Ross - told by Stubbsy to find a new club)

replaced by Jack Baird (Youth Academy player from the Davie Longwell era)

Popescu (Kearney signing)

Muzek (Kearney signing)

Kyle Magennis (Youth Academy player from the Davie Longwell era - given first team debut by Jack Ross)

Stephen McGinn (Youth Academy player given first team debut by Gus McPherson and signed again by Jack Ross)

Brad Lyons (Kearney signing) replaced by Ryan Flynn (Jack Ross signing)

Simeon Jackson (Kearney signing) relaced by Cody Cooke (Alan Stubbs signing)

Danny Mullen (Jack Ross signing)

Kyle McAllister (Youth Academy player given first team debut by Alex Rae, signed on loan by Kearney)

Unused Subs: Anton Ferdinand (Kearney signing); Ducken Nazon (Kearney signing),Lee Hodson (Alan Stubbs signing), Holmes (Kearney signing).

6 players signed by Kearney featured in the match, and 3 other Kearney signings were on the bench. Only Adam Hammill and Dreyer out of Kearney's signings weren't involved and Hammill left during the January window and Dreyer has returned to Brighton to be treated for an injury which has ended his season. The upturn in results has come about due to having almost a full squad to choose from and managing players carrying injuries wisely (Magennis, McAllister, Flynn, Stephen McGinn) and now that we have almost a fully fit squad to choose from we have decent options on the bench, which has meant Oran has started making changes earlier and more often than before teh January window. Erhahon and McPherson didn't make the bench on Monday night but have shown they are good enough for this level. 

Kearney's team selection reinforces the suggestion that the remnants of Jack Ross's Championship winning side would have done pretty well this season if they had been augmented by 5 or 6 signings which added quality to what we already had. Alan Stubbs signed 11 players and soon realised that Josh Heaton, Jeff King, etc weren't good enough even for the bench. Anyone missing big Cole Kwepakawa in defence alongside Hayden Coulson and Alfie Jones and Matty Willock in midfield with Lee Hodson and Ryan Edwards?

Yeah i am sure Alfie Jones misses us in the EPL.

5 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Oh you found ONE of Stubbs signings that is still improving after doing so with us under ORAN - and would you have preferred we kept Alfie and did not sign POPESCU?

How's King doing OR KP or BM or Edwards etc. etc. - you are a case . . . :hammer

1 hour ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

Perhaps part of the explanation for that is that Oran had a different assessment of the players he inherited from Jack Ross than Alan Stubbs had?

Eg Gary MacKenzie - told at La Manga training camp prior to any friendlies or League Cup games being played that he was welcome to find another club. He's been pretty decent since returning from injury.

Hladky (Kearney signing)

Paul McGinn (Jack Ross signing who Stubbsy rated highly enough to bring in Lee Hodson on loan for the season)

Gary MacKenzie (Alex Rae signing, contract extended by Jack Ross - told by Stubbsy to find a new club)

replaced by Jack Baird (Youth Academy player from the Davie Longwell era)

Popescu (Kearney signing)

Muzek (Kearney signing)

Kyle Magennis (Youth Academy player from the Davie Longwell era - given first team debut by Jack Ross)

Stephen McGinn (Youth Academy player given first team debut by Gus McPherson and signed again by Jack Ross)

Brad Lyons (Kearney signing) replaced by Ryan Flynn (Jack Ross signing)

Simeon Jackson (Kearney signing) relaced by Cody Cooke (Alan Stubbs signing)

Danny Mullen (Jack Ross signing)

Kyle McAllister (Youth Academy player given first team debut by Alex Rae, signed on loan by Kearney)

Unused Subs: Anton Ferdinand (Kearney signing); Ducken Nazon (Kearney signing),Lee Hodson (Alan Stubbs signing), Holmes (Kearney signing).

6 players signed by Kearney featured in the match, and 3 other Kearney signings were on the bench. Only Adam Hammill and Dreyer out of Kearney's signings weren't involved and Hammill left during the January window and Dreyer has returned to Brighton to be treated for an injury which has ended his season. The upturn in results has come about due to having almost a full squad to choose from and managing players carrying injuries wisely (Magennis, McAllister, Flynn, Stephen McGinn) and now that we have almost a fully fit squad to choose from we have decent options on the bench, which has meant Oran has started making changes earlier and more often than before teh January window. Erhahon and McPherson didn't make the bench on Monday night but have shown they are good enough for this level. 

Kearney's team selection reinforces the suggestion that the remnants of Jack Ross's Championship winning side would have done pretty well this season if they had been augmented by 5 or 6 signings which added quality to what we already had. Alan Stubbs signed 11 players and soon realised that Josh Heaton, Jeff King, etc weren't good enough even for the bench. Anyone missing big Cole Kwepakawa in defence alongside Hayden Coulson and Alfie Jones and Matty Willock in midfield with Lee Hodson and Ryan Edwards?

Stop mocking the poor fella Dibble. It's no a fair fight.

4 hours ago, Lord Pityme said:

Is that not a bit like describing Josh Heaton as playing" in the Scottish Premiership"?

Alfie Jones has made 0 first team starts since returning to Southampton "in the EPL" and has been an unused substitute twice since his loan spell was cancelled by St Mirren. He wasn't even on the bench in a cup game against lower league opposition.

Alfie Jones began last summer in Southampton's U23 squad and it looks as though he has returned to the same level.

8 minutes ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

Is that not a bit like describing Josh Heaton as playing" in the Scottish Premiership"?

Alfie Jones has made 0 first team starts since returning to Southampton "in the EPL" and has been an unused substitute twice since his loan spell was cancelled by St Mirren. He wasn't even on the bench in a cup game against lower league opposition.

Alfie Jones began last summer in Southampton's U23 squad and it looks as though he has returned to the same level.

Or...!

he is in a Epl first team squad? I know where 99.9% of players his age would rather be given the choice between us and the EPL.

2 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

I think he might have forgotten Corbu but I'm not splitting hairs.

I think he was mainly listing those who played against Hamilton - but Corbu is decent - problem for him is P. McGinn and Muzek are on the team-sheet every week early doors normally. He is a lot better than Heaton or King - Right?:nerd

23 minutes ago, Sweeper07 said:

I think he was mainly listing those who played against Hamilton - but Corbu is decent - problem for him is P. McGinn and Muzek are on the team-sheet every week early doors normally. He is a lot better than Heaton or King - Right?:nerd

And Corbu (and Kellerman - Jack Ross signing) have made a league appearance unlike King or Heaton.

32 minutes ago, TopCat said:

Talk me through the improvements he’s made.

Cause it’s not been in league position.

Call me a cock again, if you want.

After the league campaign began we conceded 13 goals in 5 games and scored  3 times. Games against 10 man Rangers, Aberdeen at Pittodrie, Livingston at home and Hearts at Tynecastle were all over by half-time. Last time I checked when we played at Ibrox under Oran Rangers had 4 penalties and 11 players on the pitch and we wentto Pittodrie and Tynecastle and drew and then beat Livingston 3-1. That seems like a fairly obvious sign of improvement.

In the final 13 games of the season we picked up 20 points once Oran had his own team and once we started getting players back from injury.  Some of our best players in the last few months have been guys not wanted by Stubbs:  Ryan Flynn got 1 start under Stubbs behind guys like Matty Willock, Ryan Edwards,  Lee hodson / Paul McGinn being played out of position... Gary MacKenzie told to find another club after Stubbs had signed Josh Heaton, Cole Kpekawa and Alfie Jones.

Oh and we no longer persist with Brock-Madsen as our main "goal threat".

30 minutes ago, TopCat said:

Talk me through the improvements he’s made.

Cause it’s not been in league position.

Call me a cock again, if you want.

Stubbsy's 3 points came from an opening day win against Dundee which I'd consider an outlier, after which events (Medalgate) seemed to take us downhill fast, I don't think it was entirely Stubbsy's fault but like I've said elsewhere by the time of the 4-1 Hearts game we were in disarray with a squad that was nowhere near good enough to even stay in the fight for 10th . In order of magnitude I'd blame TF/GLS & the players who downed tools above Stubbsy's abysmal signing record.

OK has made mistakes and finishing 11th shouldn't be considered a triumph but I think he's done enough to have first crack at managing us next season regardless of how the play-off goes.

I see DoP has beaten me to the punch! :notworthy

37 minutes ago, BuddieinEK said:

If you truly have to be talked through the improvements then you are indeed a cock!

If the condom fits!

He is in denial - he made his stand early on about Oran and he won't be moved...

The turnaround has been fabulous... there were games we did better than expected, but there were also games we could have done better - but that is life at this level....

It is a crying shame we were beaten to 10th by 1 point, by the side who had the worst scoring record and 3 off the worst defensive record above relegated Dee...

The good thing about it is if we stay up Hamilton will be there for the taking, Livi will not be as strong and Ross County I doubt will be too great...

We need to be at this party . . . :bounce2

Stubbsy's 3 points came from an opening day win against Dundee which I'd consider an outlier, after which events (Medalgate) seemed to take us downhill fast, I don't think it was entirely Stubbsy's fault but like I've said elsewhere by the time of the 4-1 Hearts game we were in disarray with a squad that was nowhere near good enough to even stay in the fight for 10th . In order of magnitude I'd blame TF/GLS & the players who downed tools above Stubbsy's abysmal signing record.
OK has made mistakes and finishing 11th shouldn't be considered a triumph but I think he's done enough to have first crack at managing us next season regardless of how the play-off goes.
I see DoP has beaten me to the punch! :notworthy

Is our 9 points against teams who had a player sent off in the first 30 minutes post split not an outlier ?

If it isn’t it should be.

Get that it doesn’t suit your agenda though.

Maybe put on the back burner the fact that we have won only one game against a full time team who finished with 11 men since Christmas?

Inconvenient.