Stephen McGinn

5 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Clearly injured word on the street is in need of an operation.  A half fit player even a Stephen McGinn one is no use at this time. Get Stephen fixed we have a stand in McShane.  

As much as I agree about McGinn, McShane is unfortunately not the answer. Not good enough. 

I have heard the McGinn injury story from various sources , including a couple who have been reliable with info in the past. I’m led to believe he has been playing with an underlying injury which is being treated but needs surgery and a spell out to fix.
If this is true, I would rather we do it now rather than playing and risk further injury, as it is now, he appears to be losing fitness which does none of the parties any favours.
If he is not injured, then I’m at a loss to explain why his performances have dropped and perhaps a spell out might help him regain focus , fitness and appetite.

5 minutes ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

I have heard the McGinn injury story from various sources , including a couple who have been reliable with info in the past. I’m led to believe he has been playing with an underlying injury which is being treated but needs surgery and a spell out to fix.
If this is true, I would rather we do it now rather than playing and risk further injury, as it is now, he appears to be losing fitness which does none of the parties any favours.
If he is not injured, then I’m at a loss to explain why his performances have dropped and perhaps a spell out might help him regain focus , fitness and appetite.

He's no use to us injured. He's a shadow of the player he has been, and his influence on the team is almost non-existent at the moment. Injured or not, he should be given the same treatment any other would get - dropped.

14 minutes ago, Sonny said:

McGinn is the one and only decent midfielder we have. There is no-one else in the squad gets pass marks. Difficult decision to take him out the team.

He's been rotten all season. At his best, or anywhere near it, he is a huge influence on the team. At the moment, he's as much a passenger as anyone else. I also think his presence gives others a licence to hide. Take him out and let others take responibility.

16 minutes ago, aldo_j said:

He’s not been good enough and, if it really is down to requiring an op, he needs to go get it done ASAP.

I keep reading this maybe because he set the bar so high. I watched the game very closely on TV. he still does great passes and can read the game like no other. Suppose you need to weigh up the for and against for an operation.  

I keep reading this maybe because he set the bar so high. I watched the game very closely on TV. he still does great passes and can read the game like no other. Suppose you need to weigh up the for and against for an operation.  

He does still have an eye for a great pass and hold possession well but he does not look as fit or mobile as I would like or as we desperately need at this time.
As I have said elsewhere , IF he needs an op , get it done , If not , perhaps a spell out is needed, Captain or not

40 minutes ago, Soctty said:

He's been rotten all season. At his best, or anywhere near it, he is a huge influence on the team. At the moment, he's as much a passenger as anyone else. I also think his presence gives others a licence to hide. Take him out and let others take responibility.

Not true. Maybe not at his best but the best we have.

1 hour ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

Agree. We seen the impact he made when he arrived last January for the remainder of the season.  Similar circumstances with a fully fit captain in the run in would be more beneficial. He is clearly struggling.

56 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Nah, I think he gifts possession too easily and isn’t quick enough to react.

if he wants to play the holding midfielder role, then hopefully he watched McHugh last night. 

10 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

If he's not fit he should not play. Simple as that. 

His presence in the team in a half fit state is one of the (admittedly many) reasons we are struggling so badly. 

Agree 100% but, as I mentioned in another thread, it's maybe a tad unfair he's being singled out although this could stem from him being seen as untouchable by some.

He's struggling in a team that's struggling.

I honestly try to stay away from naming players if they are struggling, there can be lots of reasons, but I don't guess what the reasons are. 

Give him the rest and the treatment he needs. If we were winning games due to his bravery in playing through his injury then there may be an argument in keeping playing him but we are not, so let him have some time out to recover and get back to his best. He is some player when fully fit but he is only human and cannot carry the team on his own.

1 hour ago, aldo_j said:

Nah, I think he gifts possession too easily and isn’t quick enough to react.

if he wants to play the holding midfielder role, then hopefully he watched McHugh last night. 

So would anyone needing an operation don't you think so. Don't you just love St Mirren fans does not take long for the knives to come out. 

4 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

So would anyone needing an operation don't you think so. Don't you just love St Mirren fans does not take long for the knives to come out. 

The knives aren’t out. I rate McGinn and believe he can play at this level. However, it’s not happening for him at the moment.

Nobody knows for sure if it’s injury, loss of form or confidence, structurally or tactically it doesn’t suit him or if he’s just missing Jack Ross.

I just want to see him back being player he can be and the leader we need right now. 

5 minutes ago, aldo_j said:

The knives aren’t out. I rate McGinn and believe he can play at this level. However, it’s not happening for him at the moment.

Nobody knows for sure if it’s injury, loss of form or confidence, structurally or tactically it doesn’t suit him or if he’s just missing Jack Ross.

I just want to see him back being player he can be and the leader we need right now. 

Of course we all do. If it's an injury and a op is needed it should be done 

Tart it up whatever way you want but lets be honest here, McGinn so far this season has not done the jobs he's supposed to, be that captain or midfielder.  Very poor on both accounts. He should be dropped and get his injury sorted. It can't be good for team moral if an injured player whoever he is, is being played every game  ahead of others.

Simple thing is based on his performances he shouldn't be playing at the moment. Others can't be any worse than him, we're losing games anyway.

Edited by Jack the lad

As harsh as it sounds it might just be that Stephen isn't good enough to be a premiership player. He was at Dundee in 2015 and they hardly raved about him. He might be better with better players around him,

We will get taken apart all season if we persist with McGinn and Flynn in the middle.

As good as McGinn had been the previous season and a half, there isn't one player this season (apart from Sammy until last night) that I would give pass marks to and not one that I would be bothered if they were dropped or punted.