First "Quarter" Report - Could Do Better?

End of the first "quarter" of the season and time to take stock but IMO to do that you have to start at the end of last season - be warned its a long post.  :toilet

• JR decided on a major overhaul of the squad - or did he? The only (semI) regular to go was Stelios and he was never first choice for either FB slot. LM finally went to Celtic, Liam Smith back to Hearts and HD left to return down south - only three first picks. A reasonable decision in itself as it was always going to be harder for us than Livi who in essence are still playing the same style of football as they were last season but  once Ipswich declared an interest in JR preparation for this season pretty much went on hold with only Kellerman & Paul McGinn arriving, the latter ironically on the day JR left for Sunderland.
  • The search for a new manager, despite the inevitable departure of JR it took two weeks to replace him with Alan Stubbs whose CV while not impeccable was par for the course for an "old lag". Stubbsys first two weeks on the job saw him withdraw the new contract for Gavin Reilly, while defendable in itself gavin (sic) the lack of recruitment it would have increased continuity within the squad. saw speculation about bringing "bad boy" Antony Stokes" to the club but prior to the summer training camp the only arrivals were graduates of TVs V9 academy from the depths of English non-league football Cooke and Heaton (for 75k  & a 3 year contract!). followed afterwards (sic) by more youth or inexperienced players.
  • 4 to go scandal - moving on is a normal part of a player's career these days and none of the unwanted dudes have been fit or good enough to command a regular starting place even under OK bless their (not so) little egos. Don't see that Stubbsy done anything wrong on this issue.
  • Now to the season itself - a coupla poor performance in the LC group stages (including that  photo of the squad in two camps during the penalty soot-out :( ) were rescued by a 6-0 win over Dumbarton and the opening game in the league produced a spirited performance resulting in a 2-1 win over Dundee. A 2-0 defeat away to Newco was a bit disappointing given they were down to 10 men for over half the game and a dispiriting 4-0 defeat away to Aberdeen in the LC. The tone on here was worrying but it wasn't until after the Livi game that the shit hit the fan wit the medal story emerging and Stephen McGinn's Evening Times article criticizing the lack of experience in Stubbsy's signings although by this time even Stubbsy seemed to know he'd gotten the balance wrong. Stubbs was already halfway out of the door even before the 4-1 defeat at Tynecastle, thankfully our attempt to sign Kenny Miller fell through.
  • Stubbs was sacked and Owen Kearney appointed and  a decent draw against Celtic with new arrival Anton Ferdinand marshalling the defence was followed by the predictable squad changes with Stubbsy's men out and more experienced pros brought in and although there was an improvement in performances (?) results have remained depressingly poor leading to a re-run of the Rae/Ross debate of two seasons ago. :whistle 
  • The appointment of Gus MacPherson as DoF - an admission that it all went a bit pear-shaped in the close season but in itself the wrong appointment .
  • The imminent appointment of fellow NornIrishMun to hold OKs hand. 

In conclusion almost a perfect storm of bad decisions.

TF/GLS must take most of the blame for the wasted 41 days which set the tone for our season and for pandering to the hurt feelings of the (not so) grown up schoolboys who engineered the sacking of AS which pretty much stopped transfer activity in the last week of the transfer window. New boss OK has been handed a poisoned chalice and it will only be a matter of time before the same old boo-boys (for it usually is the same ones) start calling for his head!

How much of the compo for JR & the McGinn windfall is left, will OK do a JR or are we doomed to relegation - rest assured it'll be debated acrimoniously & endlessly here on BAWA!

Bring me 11th place & the play-offs or bring me death:death

Edited by Bud the Baker

We are where we are being critical of the past is not going to fix the here and now shit hole we are in. You listen to Oran's interview players are not following orders. We have a injured captain in need of a operation let it happen. Ferdinand can take the armband for the moment. McShane might not be as good as a fully fit McGinn but he can play McGinn's position. 

Edited by Isle Of Bute Saint

12 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

We are where we are being critical of the past is not going to fix the here and now shit hole we are in. You listen to Oran's interview players are not following orders. We have a injured captain in need of a operation let it happen. Ferdinand can take the armband for the moment. McShane might not be as good as a fully fit McGinn but he can play McGinnis position. 

Rarely listen to PM interviews.

Re McGinn's injury - if true he obviously shouldn't have been playing for weeks, a clear mistake in the short and long term.

Why can't OK get the players to play the way he wants - is he asking too much, are the tactics wrong, do the players give a fuck or is OK just the wrong man for the job?

Anyway I found the process cathartic!  

1 minute ago, Bud the Baker said:

Re McGinn's injury - if true he obviously shouldn't have been playing for weeks, a clear mistake in the short and long term.

Why can't OK get the players to play the way he wants - is he asking too much, are the tactics wrong, do the players give a fuck or is OK just the wrong man for the job?

A couple of things on this, could someone provide evidence of this injury that, now, needs an operation?

Then, as you say, IF he's injured he, or the manager, need to have a good look at themselves. 

The acceptance by some that we can go down and OK is the man to take us back up is staggering.

We have seen little to nothing to suggest he could take us back up, which is a difficult task for any team. 

39 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

End of the first "quarter" of the season and time to take stock but IMO to do that you have to start at the end of last season - be warned its a long post.  :toilet

• JR decided on a major overhaul of the squad - or did he? The only (semI) regular to go was Stelios and he was never first choice for either FB slot. LM finally went to Celtic, Liam Smith back to Hearts and HD left to return down south - only three first picks. A reasonable decision in itself as it was always going to be harder for us than Livi who in essence are still playing the same style of football as they were last season but  once Ipswich declared an interest in JR preparation for this season pretty much went on hold with only Kellerman & Paul McGinn arriving, the latter ironically on the day JR left for Sunderland.
  • The search for a new manager, despite the inevitable departure of JR it took two weeks to replace him with Alan Stubbs whose CV while not impeccable was par for the course for an "old lag". Stubbsys first two weeks on the job saw him withdraw the new contract for Gavin Reilly, while defendable in itself gavin (sic) the lack of recruitment it would have increased continuity within the squad. saw speculation about bringing "bad boy" Antony Stokes" to the club but prior to the summer training camp the only arrivals were graduates of TVs V9 academy from the depths of English non-league football Cooke and Heaton (for 75k  & a 3 year contract!). followed afterwards (sic) by more youth or inexperienced players.
  • 4 to go scandal - moving on is a normal part of a player's career these days and none of the unwanted dudes have been fit or good enough to command a regular starting place even under OK bless their (not so) little egos. Don't see that Stubbsy done anything wrong on this issue.
  • Now to the season itself - a coupla poor performance in the LC group stages (including that  photo of the squad in two camps during the penalty soot-out :( ) were rescued by a 6-0 win over Dumbarton and the opening game in the league produced a spirited performance resulting in a 2-1 win over Dundee. A 2-0 defeat away to Newco was a bit disappointing given they were down to 10 men for over half the game and a dispiriting 4-0 defeat away to Aberdeen in the LC. The tone on here was worrying but it wasn't until after the Livi game that the shit hit the fan wit the medal story emerging and Stephen McGinn's Evening Times article criticizing the lack of experience in Stubbsy's signings although by this time even Stubbsy seemed to know he'd gotten the balance wrong. Stubbs was already halfway out of the door even before the 4-1 defeat at Tynecastle, thankfully our attempt to sign Kenny Miller fell through.
  • Stubbs was sacked and Owen Kearney appointed and  a decent draw against Celtic with new arrival Anton Ferdinand marshalling the defence was followed by the predictable squad changes with Stubbsy's men out and more experienced pros brought in and although there was an improvement in performances (?) results have remained depressingly poor leading to a re-run of the Rae/Ross debate of two seasons ago. :whistle 
  • The appointment of Gus MacPherson as DoF - an admission that it all went a bit pear-shaped in the close season but in itself the wrong appointment .

TF/GLS must take most of the blame for the wasted 41 days which set the tone for our season and for pandering to the hurt feelings of the (not so) grown up schoolboys who engineered the sacking of AS which pretty much stopped transfer activity in the last week of the transfer window. New boss OK has been handed a poisoned chalice and it will only be a matter of time before the same old boo-boys (for it usually is the same ones) start calling for his head!

How much of the compo for JR & the McGinn windfall is left, will OK do a JR or are we doomed to relegation - rest assured it'll be debated acrimoniously & endlessly here on BAWA!

Well argued Bud and in the main I agree.

However, I place more emphasis on the behaviour of Jack Ross post Championship win and it's impact on events. His dating dances with Ipswich and then Sunderland all but left the board powerless and our transfer activity dead in the water for weeks.

I would also stress  that I believe that players should never be allowed to undermine a manager publically. That way lies anarchy. 

Finally, recent moves by the board to bring in a technical director and JN as a coach or Assistant Manager will help in the medium to longer term. 

Dealing with those who remain from the "gang of four " will come to pass when fit. I would expect them to be shown the door. Their only possible redemption will  be to play out of their skins for OK.

COYS

Edited by St.Ricky

42 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

Hard to disagree with any of that. Last night was most disappointing as home performances had been better. We are now hanging on until January alongside Dundee, both hoping the other can pick up less points between now and then. The squad is severely lacking in quality and is completely imbalanced. We need more quality at centre back, some physicality and presence in midfield as well as more options in attacking areas.

OK seems to be losing the backing of some of the support, which I think is unfair given the task at hand. It might be time for him to turn to the likes of Erhahon, McPherson and Jamieson as many of the more experienced alternatives just don't seem to have the heart for the battle.

The board have made life very difficult for the club, principally with the appointment of Stubbs, whom very few had confidence from the offset, and allowing him to make as many signings as he did before giving him the bullet at a point when any new manager would have to battle manfully with whatever scraps he was left.

Tough times ahead.

24 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

From what i picked up he wanted us to keep the ball on the ground rather than hitting a long ball. 

20 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

A couple of things on this, could someone provide evidence of this injury that, now, needs an operation?

Then, as you say, IF he's injured he, or the manager, need to have a good look at themselves. 

The acceptance by some that we can go down and OK is the man to take us back up is staggering.

We have seen little to nothing to suggest he could take us back up, which is a difficult task for any team. 

On the manager, he's been in the door about ten minutes - we need to stop ourselves getting into the cycle of writing off managers if they don't perform miracles from the off. Personally I am always in favour of giving a manager time to put his stamp on the team. Most of those we've appointed have had time quickly to wheel and deal, with the notable exceptions of Jack Ross, and now Oran Kearney, who have both been left with months to deal with someone else's mess in terms of personnel.

Difficult as is, we need to get behind the manager until he can  get rid of some dross and bring in his own men, and only then will it be fair to really judge him. I'm aware I'll get the replies that he should be making a difference to the players, which has some merit, but when we've seen players down tools for one manager, is it any surprise that some of the same guys seem to have no heart for fighting on another's behalf? 

How are you expecting anyone on here to show evidence of an injury to a player ?

As far as I can see the massive majority of people who mention it are saying IF he’s injured or I’ve heard he’s injured ,

Players being asked to play through or manage an injury for what a manager sees as the “ greater good “ is not uncommon , even if it can sometimes lead to other issues .

IF he is injured , I wouldn’t be comfortable with anyone from the club coming out and saying so , that would give ammo to the opposition . I have heard managers in the past saying these things and I cringe. It’s like saying channel everything at him , he isn’t fit .

IF he is not injured. , as I said , perhaps he needs a wee wake up call and a spell out.

41 minutes ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

How are you expecting anyone on here to show evidence of an injury to a player ?

As far as I can see the massive majority of people who mention it are saying IF he’s injured or I’ve heard he’s injured ,

Players being asked to play through or manage an injury for what a manager sees as the “ greater good “ is not uncommon , even if it can sometimes lead to other issues .

IF he is injured , I wouldn’t be comfortable with anyone from the club coming out and saying so , that would give ammo to the opposition . I have heard managers in the past saying these things and I cringe. It’s like saying channel everything at him , he isn’t fit .

IF he is not injured. , as I said , perhaps he needs a wee wake up call and a spell out.

Why are so many people ITK?

Here's what it looks like to me, he's untouchable to many, like Ross was.

It's escalated to needing an operation.

This reason. excuse has been rolled out for weeks.

I'm not keen on "if's", I prefer facts.

All that is obvious is he, and he's not alone, isn't playing well. 

10 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Why are so many people ITK?

Here's what it looks like to me, he's untouchable to many, like Ross was.

It's escalated to needing an operation.

This reason. excuse has been rolled out for weeks.

I'm not keen on "if's", I prefer facts.

All that is obvious is he, and he's not alone, isn't playing well. 

I dont see lots of people ITK as you put it.  I see lots of IFs and Perhaps . Thats what a forum is full of. 

If youre not keen on IFs and prefer facts, i would suggest you have come to the wrong place , its a fans forum , facts will appear on the official site as and when the club see fit. 

He isnt playing as well as he can and looks ,in my opinion, not as fit as he could be and as i said here and on another thread , perhaps a wee spell out might be what is needed.

Back to the facts , the only people who should know the facts are The player , the management team , the medical team and his team mates and if any of them were on here giving facts about players fitness or injury concerns without full knowledge  and approval of all the other parties , id be bloody well worried .

2 minutes ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

I dont see lots of people ITK as you put it.  I see lots of IFs and Perhaps . Thats what a forum is full of. 

If youre not keen on IFs and prefer facts, i would suggest you have come to the wrong place , its a fans forum , facts will appear on the official site as and when the club see fit. 

He isnt playing as well as he can and looks ,in my opinion, not as fit as he could be and as i said here and on another thread , perhaps a wee spell out might be what is needed.

Back to the facts , the only people who should know the facts are The player , the management team , the medical team and his team mates and if any of them were on here giving facts about players fitness or injury concerns without full knowledge  and approval of all the other parties , id be bloody well worried .

Ok, he, as I've said, is playing poorly in a team that's playing poorly.

I don't see any other players getting "get out of jail" card that they might be injured? 

He's now, seemingly, needing a fecking operation. :lol:

Maybe needing a heart replacement as it seems he, and a few others have lost theirs. 

18 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Ok, he, as I've said, is playing poorly in a team that's playing poorly.

I don't see any other players getting "get out of jail" card that they might be injured? 

He's now, seemingly, needing a fecking operation. :lol:

Maybe needing a heart replacement as it seems he, and a few others have lost theirs. 

Your better sticking to general nonsense mate.

Report for this quarter is embarrassing.

Amazing we have went from the high of romping the league last year, to this point of looking a million miles away from even being a competitive team in the top league.

The most worrying bit for me is the lack of interest now, I have a season ticket and have chosen to miss the Celtic and Hibs games and wont be at Rangers this weekend. I've not even considered going to an away game.

Sammy apart I wouldn't be that fussed if any of the players were released tomorrow.

9 minutes ago, foxbar_bud said:

Amazing we have went from the high of romping the league last year, to this point of looking a million miles away from even being a competitive team in the top league.

The most worrying bit for me is the lack of interest now, I have a season ticket and have chosen to miss the Celtic and Hibs games and wont be at Rangers this weekend. I've not even considered going to an away game.

Sammy apart I wouldn't be that fussed if any of the players were released tomorrow.

It's not easy following our team during difficult times but it's then that the support of the crowd is most important.  If winning cups and titles were the most important features of following a club then I probably wouldn't be buying a season ticket to watch the Buddies play.  As much as I enjoyed  the success of last season  and dislike losing so often in this I can see that,  after the chaos of the summer,  there is a plan coming together to take us forward.  Most businesses strengthen at the top before moving on and we have and are still doing that.  This should help us avoid another period like the summer just gone when the club went into deep freeze whilst JR decided his future plans.  Next they strengthen the management team and that is happening now.  Finally, they review the employees.. In our case the playing staff and then make changes.  We are doing that but therules of our particular Industry dictate that we can really only make changes in the Next Transfer Window.  We will.  So it isn't all doom and gloom even if results atpresebt are dire. 

14 minutes ago, foxbar_bud said:

This is kind of a mirror of my thoughts. 

My interest has slowly decreased..... Not because I don't support the team but the decision making at the upper echelons doesn't sit well with me. And I mean over the last few years, I mentioned this in the St Johnstone Game thread in that other clubs of similar stature and finance just seem to be able to mange their affairs much better than us and we never seem to learn or adapt and that is what is disengaging.

Last night, I didn't feel anger or annoyed, I actually have grown to accept it which is poor. I feel for OK, he has been given a shite task and on the face of it, will be the fall guy.

As for the team.... well at 59 mins (i looked at the clock) Motherwell fans were 'o'lay'ing every pass as they ripped the piss out us. Furthermore, Saints fans around me celebrated sarcastically a feeble shot at goal which the keeper finally had to make a save to around the 65th min which was our forst real attack at home to an equally struggling club. This is the reality of where we are.

My question is, when will we learn as a club and actually adapt - if indeed we have any ambition too?

I'm still highly surprised anyone thought that this season would pan out any other way.  Without Morgan, we would have been lucky to rise above the middle of the championship and the loss of the most competent players from that team was inevitable.  The budget that the board prepared seems to have been parsimonious and at least one potential manager walked away from the vacancy when he saw what the board had to offer.  Inevitably, penny-pinching in the first instance led to the law of diminishing returns coming back to haunt us and we have probably spent more cash paying off staff and luring out of contract players to the club than would have been required to boost the original budget to the point where good proven managers would have been interested in the saints job.  It is entirely the board's fault that we were unable to build the side we needed for the premiership.

We have been making bad decisions and taking gambles for too long and I have to take us back to the deal to buy the club from Scott.  He is guaranteed his money no matter how much value the club loses and is insulated from risk in that respect.  This is simply not healthy.

Those supporting buy the buds may well be paying premiership prices to take over a Stenhousemuir or a Berwick at this rate.

The first quarter has now passed and we have amassed a grand total of 4 points.

That total is an utter disgrace and I am afraid that any team that delivers such an appalling return does not deserve to compete in the very league in which it finds itself.  Our club are ripping the hole out of us now and we are now beyond a realms of a "laughing stock" and now into the realms of an embarrassment.  We have been taken for fools yet again. 

11 minutes ago, TediousTom said:

The first quarter has now passed and we have amassed a grand total of 4 points.

That total is an utter disgrace and I am afraid that any team that delivers such an appalling return does not deserve to compete in the very league in which it finds itself.  Our club are ripping the hole out of us now and we are now beyond a realms of a "laughing stock" and now into the realms of an embarrassment.  We have been taken for fools yet again. 

Spot On we are in a different league

St Mirren and Dundee totals without games against each other.

P 30 Won 0 Drawn 1 Lost 29  - we contributed our 1 point v 10 man Celtic, Dundee contributed nothing

Says it all...................

Edited by DougJamie

3 hours ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

From what i picked up he wanted us to keep the ball on the ground rather than hitting a long ball. 

I wanted us to do that as well. Jackson never won or looked like winning a header. On pace though I think an early through ball on the deck would have had him one on one with their keeper. I'd fancy Jackson to score 9 out of ten one on ones with a keeper.

4 hours ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

We are where we are being critical of the past is not going to fix the here and now shit hole we are in. You listen to Oran's interview players are not following orders. We have a injured captain in need of a operation let it happen. Ferdinand can take the armband for the moment. McShane might not be as good as a fully fit McGinn but he can play McGinn's position. 

Yeah I tried that point with the happy clappers (fuds) yesterday and stated that Oran may want 442 but he gets close to 001. The Well player for first goal could have recieved the ball, read the paper, taken a shit and still would had 3 mins to pick his spot. The only pressing our players know is when you stick "de " in front of it...................  

4 hours ago, faraway saint said:

On the plus side Oran might arrange Coleraine to throw any potential diddy cup match with us next season:P

15 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

Yeah I tried that point with the happy clappers (fuds) yesterday and stated that Oran may want 442 but he gets close to 001. The Well player for first goal could have recieved the ball, read the paper, taken a shit and still would had 3 mins to pick his spot. The only pressing our players know is when you stick "de " in front of it...................  

Your best post for while DJ.