I believe Anton

Watched Saturday's game on the telly, just couldn't muster the will for the six hour round trip, rain, bigot infestation and the eventual final outcome. What did hit me between the ears though was the programme on sky before the game 'SPFL Matters' where Boyd and Commons were interviewing big Anton.

The as you would expect they were on about being in Rio's shadow, playing in the EPL etc, but big Anton put them firmly in their place when they did eventually get onto talking about St Mirren. They asked him something like 'how frustrating/demoralising is i, when your teammates just arent up to it?' He chopped them down straight away by saying very clearly 'we are all frustrated, but at the business end of the season, when there are others round about us, WE WILL stay up!'

having seen how Erhahon, Jones, Edwards, etc got on, I Believe Anton.... i think despite the now monotonous, feeling sorry for yourself, excuse ridden drivel being peddled by some about 'Stubbs Duds'. We already have the players, quality, desire and passion in the squad to remain in this league, and that will start this weekend in Dundee. The squad can go there with their heads held high to get a win and push Dundee down below the surface.

We will start to claw our way back in Dundee, it will be a long, bitter hard fought battle till May, but I believe Anton will lead us through it, and show his qualities in leadership, professionalism and team work. Youre not going to hear him whingeing about his teammates! A lesson a few others should take!

2 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Watched Saturday's game on the telly, just couldn't muster the will for the six hour round trip, rain, bigot infestation and the eventual final outcome. What did hit me between the ears though was the programme on sky before the game 'SPFL Matters' where Boyd and Commons were interviewing big Anton.

The as you would expect they were on about being in Rio's shadow, playing in the EPL etc, but big Anton put them firmly in their place when they did eventually get onto talking about St Mirren. They asked him something like 'how frustrating/demoralising is i, when your teammates just arent up to it?' He chopped them down straight away by saying very clearly 'we are all frustrated, but at the business end of the season, when there are others round about us, WE WILL stay up!'

having seen how Erhahon, Jones, Edwards, etc got on, I Believe Anton.... i think despite the now monotonous, feeling sorry for yourself, excuse ridden drivel being peddled by some about 'Stubbs Duds'. We already have the players, quality, desire and passion in the squad to remain in this league, and that will start this weekend in Dundee. The squad can go there with their heads held high to get a win and push Dundee down below the surface.

We will start to claw our way back in Dundee, it will be a long, bitter hard fought battle till May, but I believe Anton will lead us through it, and show his qualities in leadership, professionalism and team work. Youre not going to hear him whingeing about his teammates! A lesson a few others should take!

Here's hoping we get the result we are looking for on Saturday which could be the shot in the arm we desperately need. certainly positives to take from Saturday's performance.

I would urge Oran to keep being bold, play the youngsters, get big Cooke on from the start to partner Jackson. I could see those two being a real handful for most defences.

keep Jones with Anton, play Erhahon again in defence. They made us look solid and capable of getting decent ball forward. We are still missing the bite in midfield, McShane was ok, but will never be youre enforcer type, S McGinn may be out injured?

that is the area of the park we need to strengthen in January, strong enforcer and tenacious/creative midfielders. What about tempting McGowan back? He'd be in less of a rush to keep his curfew playing his home games in Paisley!

2 hours ago, Lord Pityme said:

Good to see you being positive and that the big man has his head screwed on.  The bottom 4 are covered by 8 points.  (Correctipn) Stay in this range and most things are possible. 

No better place to start than Dundee on Saturday.  I'll be there. Tough,  tough game expected. 

Edited by St.Ricky

1 hour ago, Soctty said:

I'm astonished. A positive post which doesn't have an obvious agenda to have a go at someone else...

Seriously though - keep it up.

Where as your post is same old same old. Its as boring as the 'Stubbs Duds' posts that infest this site. Every player in a black and white jersey is a Saint! No ifs, no buts.

1 hour ago, Soctty said:

I'm astonished. A positive post which doesn't have an obvious agenda to have a go at someone else...

Seriously though - keep it up.

Well, the point of his post has gone over your head then.

A bit more subtle than usual, but this will just be another thread of players and forum users getting it in the neck. He has started already because you were stupid enough to take the bait!

Read it again.

4 minutes ago, Kemp said:

Well, the point of his post has gone over your head then.

A bit more subtle than usual, but this will just be another thread of players and forum users getting it in the neck. He has started already because you were stupid enough to take the bait!

Read it again.

I guess you subscribe to the theory that the moon landing happened on a hollywood movie lot too?

1 hour ago, St.Ricky said:

Good to see you being positive and that the big man has his head screwed on.  The bottom 4 are covered by 5 or 6 points.  Stay in this range and most things are possible. 

No better place to start than Dundee on Saturday.  I'll be there. Tough,  tough game expected. 

The bottom four are covered by 8 points but you rarely let the facts get in the way of your posts. :whistle

Given out of a squad of 28ish the current manager has signed just 3 of them then every squad he picks from now until the window opens will be full of players signed by other managers. Who signed them at the moment is irrelevant, we have to try and mould what we have into some sort of unit capable of picking up points. Erharon should be keeping Hodson out from now on imo and at the moment McShane if he plays like Saturday is a better option than Flynn.  No one is scoring so might as well give Cooke a chance.  Lets hope we can grind it out at Dens then kick on.

1 hour ago, Lord Pityme said:

I would urge Oran to keep being bold, play the youngsters, get big Cooke on from the start to partner Jackson. I could see those two being a real handful for most defences.

keep Jones with Anton, play Erhahon again in defence. They made us look solid and capable of getting decent ball forward. We are still missing the bite in midfield, McShane was ok, but will never be youre enforcer type, S McGinn may be out injured?

that is the area of the park we need to strengthen in January, strong enforcer and tenacious/creative midfielders. What about tempting McGowan back? He'd be in less of a rush to keep his curfew playing his home games in Paisley!

Only part I disagree with your posts is keeping Erhahon in defence, yes he played a blinder but I would much rather he played in his natural position, he's still learning. Happy for him to drop back due to a change of tactics, injuries etc. After the Motherwell game I said to my mate "why don't we throw in MacPherson & Erhahon". From what I've seen of them, they aren't scared to tackle or be tackled. Both confident on the ball. Not sure about McGowan, who knows?

15 minutes ago, chalky1 said:

Only part I disagree with your posts is keeping Erhahon in defence, yes he played a blinder but I would much rather he played in his natural position, he's still learning. Happy for him to drop back due to a change of tactics, injuries etc. After the Motherwell game I said to my mate "why don't we throw in MacPherson & Erhahon". From what I've seen of them, they aren't scared to tackle or be tackled. Both confident on the ball. Not sure about McGowan, who knows?

McGowan can certainly play football but he may be too high risk at this point in time.

Edited by St.Ricky

9 minutes ago, chalky1 said:

I agree Hodson back in, Erahon pushed into midfield is a better option, drop Mcshane, or Mullen.

4 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

I agree Hodson back in, Erahon pushed into midfield is a better option, drop Mcshane, or Mullen.

I'm not sure of Erhahon in midfield.  He has the talent. No question of that but he might need more first team action before stepping in there. It's good to have selection problems of the best kind. 

2 hours ago, Lord Pityme said:

Great thread and then you go and spoil it,  now go sit in the corner  :hammer 

I'm not sure of Erhahon in midfield.  He has the talent. No question of that but he might need more first team action before stepping in there. It's good to have selection problems of the best kind. 

I don’t think it’s a good type of selection problems.

We having to play youngsters out of position and they still perform better than so called experienced players at this level.

Others calling for Cody Cooke to start even though he wasn’t even rated by the previous manager who actually signed the guy despite all our problems up top even then.

20 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

John McGinn, Mallan , Maclean and McAllister have all stepped up and played in our midfield from a young age, I can't see why Erhahon couldn't do the same.

I never seen the game on Saturday due to family commitments, though from what i hear Erhahon played great and i would imagine if it was from a defensive perspective, he could bring those battling qualities in to midfield if needed. 

7 minutes ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

He is a midfielder 

I know that. i have watched him play there. A real prospect. My concern isn't his talent. I would just like to see the lad get increasing amounts of game time before settling in what is probably the most physically demanding of positions. Would he be out of place there now? I don't think so but would like to see him nurtured for a bit longer. As other posters are saying..others have done it so the old adage "if your'e good enough, your'e old enough" seems to be the popular vote.

On selection issues. My take is that a battle for each place is the ideal position to be in. It looks like OK now has at least 3 people battling for the Centre Back  Slots (Baird, Ferdinand and Jones) and at least 2 at the left back position. Midfield looks to be more competitive too and Magennis should be back soon to add to that. Given that Eckersley and MacKenzie shouldn't be too long before they are back fighting for selection. Up front we now have Jackson, Mullen, Hammil and Cooke. Much healthier.

21 minutes ago, buddies1877 said:

I don’t think it’s a good type of selection problems.

We having to play youngsters out of position and they still perform better than so called experienced players at this level.

Others calling for Cody Cooke to start even though he wasn’t even rated by the previous manager who actually signed the guy despite all our problems up top even then.

Aye, while it is good to see a bit of positivity on here, lets not kid ourselves on. Ethan is playing at full back and Cooke is getting on the pitch because the squad is a bloody shambles and we somehow had close to 40 players that all play in the same position!

Kearney is obviously trying things out as he is getting desperate now. He needs to find a settled XI as soon as possible. I'd be happy enough if young Ethan at central midfield was part of that. Are we going to be able to compete in this league with the likes of McShane, Edwards and Cooke on the pitch though? Its highly unlikely.

2 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

I know that. i have watched him play there. A real prospect. My concern isn't his talent. I would just like to see the lad get increasing amounts of game time before settling in what is probably the most physically demanding of positions. Would he be out of place there now? I don't think so but would like to see him nurtured for a bit longer. As other posters are saying..others have done it so the old adage "if your'e good enough, your'e old enough" seems to be the popular vote.

On selection issues. My take is that a battle for each place is the ideal position to be in. It looks like OK now has at least 3 people battling for the Centre Back  Slots (Baird, Ferdinand and Jones) and at least 2 at the left back position. Midfield looks to be more competitive too and Magennis should be back soon to add to that. Given that Eckersley and MacKenzie shouldn't be too long before they are back fighting for selection. Up front we now have Jackson, Mullen, Hammil and Cooke. Much healthier.

And Cammy Smith to add to that healthier front line  even though we are struggling to find the back of the net,