Renfrewshire Golf Courses

TPAFKA Jersey 2

For family reasons probably likely to be spending a fair bit of my holidays in Scotland next year. Thinking of bringing my clubs up and playing a few of the courses in the area. Got me thinking about the ones I’ve played and seeking views on the ones I haven’t.

Paisley - Good course with spectacular views over Paisley/Glasgow, Only downside is that it’s prone to getting boggy.

Renfrew - Never played it

Elderslie - Good course. Very varied with lots of different holes. Only downside is potential for Foxbar neds to nick your ball.

Cochrane Castle - Never played it.

Erskine - Not bad but found it a bit boring and repetitive.

Ralston - Never played it.

Lochwinnoch - Nice course. Haven’t played it for about 30 years. Believe they’ve changed the layout a bit since then. Only downside was a good few holes where you’re playing around a hill.

Kilmacolm - Lovely course.

Old Ranfurly - Nice course spoiled a little by a couple of daft holes.

Ranfurly Castle - Never played it.

Caldwell (is Uplawmoor in Renfrewshire) - Never played it.

Fereneze (is Barrhead in Renfrewshire) - Decent course. Very similar to Paisley.

Views welcome especially on the ones I haven’t played. Also have I missed any?

For the avoidance of doubt I’ve deliberately not included Barshaw.

Edited by TPAFKA Jersey 2

it's been close to 25 years since I played any.  Was a member at Ranfurky Castle.  Was very well maintained.  A bit Billy and a few blind holes. 

Loved Kilmacolm.  East Renfrewshire might be worth a visit.  If you like a walk near the sea then you could nip down to Large or W Kilbride

Also down by the coast Western Gailes is worth a visit. 

Edited by St.Ricky

13 hours ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

For family reasons probably likely to be spending a fair bit of my holidays in Scotland next year. Thinking of bringing my clubs up and playing a few of the courses in the area. Got me thinking about the ones I’ve played and seeking views on the ones I haven’t.

Paisley - Good course with spectacular views over Paisley/Glasgow, Only downside is that it’s prone to getting boggy.

Renfrew - Never played it

Elderslie - Good course. Very varied with lots of different holes. Only downside is potential for Foxbar neds to nick your ball.

Cochrane Castle - Never played it.

Erskine - Not bad but found it a bit boring and repetitive.

Ralston - Never played it.

Lochwinnoch - Nice course. Haven’t played it for about 30 years. Believe they’ve changed the layout a bit since then. Only downside was a good few holes where you’re playing around a hill.

Kilmacolm - Lovely course.

Old Ranfurly - Nice course spoiled a little by a couple of daft holes.

Ranfurly Castle - Never played it.

Caldwell (is Uplawmoor in Renfrewshire) - Never played it.

Fereneze (is Barrhead in Renfrewshire) - Decent course. Very similar to Paisley.

Views welcome especially on the ones I haven’t played. Also have I missed any?

For the avoidance of doubt I’ve deliberately not included Barshaw.

The great news for me, is that Old Ranfurly sold the dead land to the right of the 1st and got £1m, so they are planning in redesigning the last 3 and more than likely finsihing the course at the 15th, the 16th will be gone or dramatically change, same 18th

You missed Mar Hall, some pretty amazing holes , very tough start , and the 4th is possibly the hardest hole in Renfrewshire.....

2 hours ago, DougJamie said:

The great news for me, is that Old Ranfurly sold the dead land to the right of the 1st and got £1m, so they are planning in redesigning the last 3 and more than likely finsihing the course at the 15th, the 16th will be gone or dramatically change, same 18th

You missed Mar Hall, some pretty amazing holes , very tough start , and the 4th is possibly the hardest hole in Renfrewshire.....

Good spot re Mar Hall. Imagine it to be a bit like Earline though?

Thinking about down that way I also missed Gleddoch. Does that still exist? Never played there either. 

1 minute ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Good spot re Mar Hall. Imagine it to be a bit like Earline though?

Thinking about down that way I also missed Gleddoch. Does that still exist? Never played there either. 

Gleddoch- Great layout zero investment, floods a lot

Mar Hall bar a few holes is superb. Now design and new technology means that even if its just 6 years old it plays superb.

Its right near our work so I have played it numerous times......................... below is the 4th- what a hole

Image result for mar hall golf great pic

25 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

Gleddoch- Great layout zero investment, floods a lot

Mar Hall bar a few holes is superb. Now design and new technology means that even if its just 6 years old it plays superb.

Its right near our work so I have played it numerous times......................... below is the 4th- what a hole

Image result for mar hall golf great pic

Looks braw. Will definitely give that a go.

Played any of the others I haven't?

Relative of mine plays on both Mar Hall (he has a house there) and Renfrew.  I know he prefers Renfrew. I think that's more to do with the fact that Mar Hall is played by Hotel Guests and outings.  If you are just visiting then the course at Mar Hall looks good.  Also told that Renfrew is flat but long.  

8 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Looks braw. Will definitely give that a go.

Played any of the others I haven't?

The tee is virtually under the bridge........

Yes played all the ones you listed as I used to play in Newton Sheild team ( when I was a real golfer lol) which is 2 leagues of 10 courses. Also Greenock and Gourock. Gourock again has some belters

Below is stunning, 9th I think big swinging dog leg, could be 18th always get confused as both have high tees and stunning views of Clyde

Image result for gourock golf course great pic

5 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

Relative of mine plays on both Mar Hall (he has a house there) and Renfrew.  I know he prefers Renfrew. I think that's more to do with the fact that Mar Hall is played by Hotel Guests and outings.  If you are just visiting then the course at Mar Hall looks good.  Also told that Renfrew is flat but long.  

Mar Hall is empty usually mate..... also good to go down and see Scotland train

Every time I play Renfrew I jump as below

Image result for renfrew golf club plane

35 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

Mar Hall is empty usually mate..... also good to go down and see Scotland train

Every time I play Renfrew I jump as below

Image result for renfrew golf club plane

Forgot about the flightpath.

Good to know that Mar Hall is quiet. 

I think my relative was looking for a regular game when he is in the country and that seems to be easier to find at Renfrew. 

Only eaten at the hotel and Clubhouse. 

Edited by St.Ricky

18 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

In that case give me a wee run down on the ones I said I haven't played ya doughball. You're no following the point of this thread are you? :D

All pretty boring as in parkland except Ranfurly Castle beautiful and best greens ib west of scotland

Gourock used to have a lovely course with great views, although that was 25 years ago.  Not sure what its like now.

Sorry Didn't see the reference to Gourock above.

Always found Lochwinnoch OK in the lower holes, but you need to be a mountain goat up the top end.

Paisley was a decent course in the past.

Elderslie was OK except for the trudge uphill.

Cochrane Castle was a bit boring.

I liked Kilmacolm and Caldwell.  Ranfurly was a nice course although I felt the members were a bit up their own arses.

Never played the others.

Edited by saint in exile

Paisley - Like the layout, 18th is a cracking finishing hole. Bit wet though

Renfrew - Difficult <_< great condition though!

Elderslie - That tree in the middle of the fairway :fire nice course though, like the greens

Cochrane Castle - Never played

Erskine - Meh

Ralston - Snobby

Lochwinnoch - Not good if you don't like hills. A few interesting holes though. Especially par 3s

Kilmacolm - Brilliant wee course, lots of gorse. Good condition

Old Ranfurly - Nice but overrated imo

Ranfurly Castle - Another nice course

Caldwell (is Uplawmoor in Renfrewshire) - Best course in Renfrewshire :wub: (I'm biased) , nah, its a fun course to play, love the third hole

Fereneze (is Barrhead in Renfrewshire) - Ridiculously hilly but good to play, if it's windy you'll lose a lot of balls

7 minutes ago, Doakes said:

Paisley - Like the layout, 18th is a cracking finishing hole. Bit wet though

Renfrew - Difficult <_< great condition though!

Elderslie - That tree in the middle of the fairway :fire nice course though, like the greens

Cochrane Castle - Never played

Erskine - Meh

Ralston - Snobby

Lochwinnoch - Not good if you don't like hills. A few interesting holes though. Especially par 3s

Kilmacolm - Brilliant wee course, lots of gorse. Good condition

Old Ranfurly - Nice but overrated imo

Ranfurly Castle - Another nice course

Caldwell (is Uplawmoor in Renfrewshire) - Best course in Renfrewshire :wub: (I'm biased) , nah, its a fun course to play, love the third hole

Fereneze (is Barrhead in Renfrewshire) - Ridiculously hilly but good to play, if it's windy you'll lose a lot of balls

As we say in Bridge of Weir " Feck you old boy " :whistle 

Used to hold the MacLeod Cup , which was the second biggest Amateur competition in Scotland. And come on a 464 yrd dog leg par 4 1st Hole usually into a west wind- overated - Question..................................... Are you Tiger Woods ? :P 

464 yrds is nearly as long as Caldwell's back nine :lol:

4 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

As we say in Bridge of Weir " Feck you old boy " :whistle 

Used to hold the MacLeod Cup , which was the second biggest Amateur competition in Scotland. And come on a 464 yrd dog leg par 4 1st Hole usually into a west wind- overated - Question..................................... Are you Tiger Woods ? :P 

464 yrds is nearly as long as Caldwell's back nine :lol:

I think it was one of those courses I hated the first time I played it, (in the rain) but if I played it more I would grow to love it! Great views and the greens were brilliant even though it was very wet that day

No denying it is f**king difficult :lol: 

3 minutes ago, Doakes said:

I think it was one of those courses I hated the first time I played it, (in the rain) but if I played it more I would grow to love it! Great views and the greens were brilliant even though it was very wet that day

No denying it is f**king difficult :lol: 

As I said mate, not the worse Idea to get a wee game organised. If I am honest, I hardly play, and i used to live about 20 yrds away from the course. I have cracking clubs and hardly used :lol:

As I said above, the course has sold land off to the right of the 1st and with that money they will redesign part of the course. We also own land to the right of the long par 5 4th , and we could build new holes. The problem has always been the 225 yrd blind Par 3 16th,  also the course ends with a pretty disappointing 9 iron Par  3 18th. Thats the flaws, the rest are/have been addressed with new greens at 5,6,9 and 10.. Loads of trees planted 10 years ago that are now massive and  superb Par 5s at 4th and 11th .

So at a time when golf courses are saving monies we are spending.....

PS The Castle is probably a better all round course, but it does tend to flood due to the clay soil

1 minute ago, DougJamie said:

As I said mate, not the worse Idea to get a wee game organised. If I am honest, I hardly play, and i used to live about 20 yrds away from the course. I have cracking clubs and hardly used :lol:

As I said above, the course has sold land off to the right of the 1st and with that money they will redesign part of the course. We also own land to the right of the long par 5 4th , and we could build new holes. The problem has always been the 225 yrd blind Par 3 16th,  also the course ends with a pretty disappointing 9 iron Par  3 18th. Thats the flaws, the rest are/have been addressed with new greens at 5,6,9 and 10.. Loads of trees planted 10 years ago that are now massive and  superb Par 5s at 4th and 11th .

So at a time when golf courses are saving monies we are spending.....

PS The Castle is probably a better all round course, but it does tend to flood due to the clay soil

A St Mirren fans golf day could be a great laugh in fairness! Know a few buddies who play. I barely play anymore, can't find the time, but I enjoy it when I do! What do you play off? I'm off 12 but not sure I can actually play to it now, a tad rusty :lol: 

Interesting. I think I played it about 9 years ago so I suspect a lot has changed since then! Surprised most golf courses are still open tbh. I know Beith closed their back 9 fairly recently, but most courses seem to be surviving at least

4 minutes ago, Doakes said:

A St Mirren fans golf day could be a great laugh in fairness! Know a few buddies who play. I barely play anymore, can't find the time, but I enjoy it when I do! What do you play off? I'm off 12 but not sure I can actually play to it now, a tad rusty :lol: 

Interesting. I think I played it about 9 years ago so I suspect a lot has changed since then! Surprised most golf courses are still open tbh. I know Beith closed their back 9 fairly recently, but most courses seem to be surviving at least

My handicap is like house prices just keeps going up, once upon a time it was 5, but years of neglect means its more like 15 now, I can play both scratch and  28 at the same hole

Lets see what the take up is on here. If we lose at Dundee we may have a lot of free Saturdays/ Sundays coming up :shockaroony

1 hour ago, DougJamie said:

My handicap is like house prices just keeps going up, once upon a time it was 5, but years of neglect means its more like 15 now, I can play both scratch and  28 at the same hole

Lets see what the take up is on here. If we lose at Dundee we may have a lot of free Saturdays/ Sundays coming up :shockaroony

I started at 13 but gave up playing in medals from that time on. My hips are knackered so 9 holes are my Max.  

A bit like your own game DJ.  Can be good and terrible on the same hole. 

My putting has always been rank.

Close season summer game on a flat course and I would be in. 

3 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

I started at 13 but gave up playing in medals from that time on. My hips are knackered so 9 holes are my Max.  

A bit like your own game DJ.  Can be good and terrible on the same hole. 

My putting has always been rank.

Close season summer game on a flat course and I would be in. 

Sounds like a game mate

The Pub Quiz Brothers :P