Renfrewshire Golf Courses

TPAFKA Jersey 2

I’m up for a game if it can be organised when I’m up.

I play off 13 at Royal Jersey which is probably like a 2 handicap on you peasants’ little poncey parkland courses. :P

Proper man’s traditional seaside links. 

Good to hear all the views on the other courses. I did suspect some of them might be a bit boring. 

Edited by TPAFKA Jersey 2

2 hours ago, Yflab said:

Whit about Barshaw?

Balfy my dear old chap. The main issues I found with Barshaw were the very real potential for human excrement in the holes and local Gallowhill ne’erdowells charging about using the flagpoles as spears. There were no bunkers or water on Barshaw but there were plenty of other hazards.

In all truth I cut my golfing teeth at Barshaw and must have played there hundreds of times. I genuinely wouldn’t even think of playing there now though. 

Royal Barshaw and Royal Dalmuir were places I played before moving on to play the Trophy courses and then Ranfurly Castle.  Fond,  if different,  memories of each. 

And yes,  I lost a ball hit into the middle of the fairway at Elderslie. A right of passage that one. 

4 hours ago, St.Ricky said:

Royal Barshaw and Royal Dalmuir were places I played before moving on to play the Trophy courses and then Ranfurly Castle.  Fond,  if different,  memories of each. 

And yes,  I lost a ball hit into the middle of the fairway at Elderslie. A right of passage that one. 

Barshaw couldn’t hold a candle to Dalmuir. Has to be one of the best municipal courses in Scotland (or certainly was when I last played it which in fairness was probably almost 40 years ago).  I’d only put Darley and Loch Green in Troon ahead of it.

If you lost your ball on the fairway of either the 10th, 11th or 12th hole at Elderslie between 1977 and 1980, there is a very reasonable chance it was me or one of my pals that nicked it! :lol:

You swine it was mine. It had my name on it so give me it back but 

then again don't since you will drop me in it because we used to tee of from the 5th

at 8.30 on a Sunday since the local rule was no teeing off before I think it was 9.30. 

Remember coming down the 18th one Sunday and hundreds at the first tee. The course was closed for us yins so a quick exit via Newton Avenue . Long walk back to car parked at baths.

Aye these were the days.

7 hours ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Barshaw couldn’t hold a candle to Dalmuir. Has to be one of the best municipal courses in Scotland (or certainly was when I last played it which in fairness was probably almost 40 years ago).  I’d only put Darley and Loch Green in Troon ahead of it.

If you lost your ball on the fairway of either the 10th, 11th or 12th hole at Elderslie between 1977 and 1980, there is a very reasonable chance it was me or one of my pals that nicked it! :lol:

Got to agree on Dalmuir although the starter told us the same story each time about a boat sinking on the Clyde and the cry going out on the lifeboats. "Women, Children and Men from Paisley first." 

Also liked those Troon Courses. Decent but not great municipal course at Scoonie in Leven. 

12 hours ago, hamlet said:

You swine it was mine. It had my name on it so give me it back but 

then again don't since you will drop me in it because we used to tee of from the 5th

at 8.30 on a Sunday since the local rule was no teeing off before I think it was 9.30. 

Remember coming down the 18th one Sunday and hundreds at the first tee. The course was closed for us yins so a quick exit via Newton Avenue . Long walk back to car parked at baths.

Aye these were the days.

During the summer holidays me and my mate used to turn up at Elderslie and breenged right in there as if we were members. None of yer sneaking on at a later hole. Nae nonsense, straight onto the first tee. It's amazing where a brass neck can get you. Never once were we questioned.

On 11/6/2018 at 10:50 AM, DougJamie said:

The great news for me, is that Old Ranfurly sold the dead land to the right of the 1st and got £1m, so they are planning in redesigning the last 3 and more than likely finsihing the course at the 15th, the 16th will be gone or dramatically change, same 18th

You missed Mar Hall, some pretty amazing holes , very tough start , and the 4th is possibly the hardest hole in Renfrewshire.....

I might argue that point..........

10th at Paisley off the back tee (413 yds) - Slightly uphill all the way with a slight dogleg turning right, thread it through the trees starting 150 yds off the tee and then up to the green probably another 180 yds to the green into the prevailing south-west wind, or..................

The 8th at Ranfurly Castle par 4 (454 yds off back tee) - always into the wind and uphill for the 2nd and probably third shots onto a two tier green.

The first at Old Ranfurly is a very difficult hole, but I have never get inspired by it and don't rate it as a particularly good golf hole

I have often sent myself to sleep thinking of the best holes in Renfrewshire and how you could make a magnificent course by combining many of the best holes. Happy to start the process, and the holes don't need to be in any order :rolleyes:.............................

5th hole at Old Ranfurly - 172 yard par 3 off the back tee, burn along the right all the way to the green. The green slightly raised with protecting bunkers left and right. Really good, challenging and fair golf hole.

• 2 years later...

Gee! I didn't know there were so many places to play golf in Scotland. Thank you, now I know so many great courses! But really, I don't think it's a good idea to host games and start your own clubs if you've never played there. I think you have to take Paisley - you said it has gorgeous views. And the disadvantage isn't as bad and is clearly better than the disadvantage that you might get the ball cut. While I play for myself and don't go to games or clubs, I do have a golf cart, a club engraved with mine, and of course my favorite golf shoes. Hopefully someday I'll make up my mind and be able to show off my golf accessories to other players.

1 hour ago, TheresaMacDonald said:

Gee! I didn't know there were so many places to play golf in Scotland. Thank you, now I know so many great courses! But really, I don't think it's a good idea to host games and start your own clubs if you've never played there. I think you have to take Paisley - you said it has gorgeous views. And the disadvantage isn't as bad and is clearly better than the disadvantage that you might get the ball cut. While I play for myself and don't go to games or clubs, I do have a golf cart, a club engraved with mine, and of course my favorite golf shoes. Hopefully someday I'll make up my mind and be able to show off my golf accessories to other players.

FFS. 😭

8 hours ago, TheresaMacDonald said:

🤷‍♂️