Welcome Junior Mendes

Sonny

4 hours ago, bazil85 said:

Basing it on what football was like back then compared to what it is now. There were a few world class players back then like Best, Maradona, even a bit more recently Gazza that enjoyed a drink and even a smoke. 

Why do we see zero footballers now that are alcoholics, smoke but are the very top of their game?

Do you think Messi and Ronaldo would be the players they are now if they had Best habits? No chance. 

In Messi`s case YES 100%  his ability is a gift from god, not something that's been manufactured by a fitness coach or sport scientist

I think it was John Collins who went from Celtic to Monaco in the mid-90's and realised that the diet and approach to fitness was miles behind in Scotland. Paul Lambert saw the same thing when he played in Germany.

If we can get the players to think more about their overall fitness -  their diet, what they eat to gain maximum physical performance, when they eat, when they sleep, what they drink, increase mental strength  - it all has to be brought into the equation. 

I would be very surprised if Anton Ferdinand hasn't seen this and the benefits at various clubs he has been involved with.

Plenty of superfit players in Scotland. 

Unfortunately lots can't perform the act of passing a football, tackling, shooting or even controlling a ball. 

Many concentrate on getting their hair perfect and wearing their favourite colour of boots. Also, some, I guess , actually practice diving and feigning injury rather than improving their footballing skills. 

AND THEY ALL GET VASTLY OVERPAID. 

I tend towards Oaky's POV that it's another one of these things we do upon promotion to the top flight because it's fashionable.
It's not Rocket Science (but then again what is? :whistle ) that professional athletes should keep themselves in good condition but if it makes the players feel important and loved then so be it!

In other words, it’s money down the drain

Look at a different sport, like running.

Kenya leads the way by a country mile.

Yet, despite not having sports scientists, facilities or in many cases, even any proper gear, they wipe the floor with countries like the US, who have all the sports scientists at their disposal.

Indeed, when many promising Kenyan runners move to the US to benefit from all the gear, facilities and sports scientists, they go backwards!

St Mirren do not need a sports scientist. Waste of money.

1 hour ago, Wendy Saintss said:

Yet, despite not having sports scientists, facilities or in many cases, even any proper gear, they wipe the floor with countries like the US, who have all the sports scientists at their disposal.

Indeed, when many promising Kenyan runners move to the US to benefit from all the gear, facilities and sports scientists, they go backwards!

What a made-up pile of shit

1 hour ago, Wendy Saintss said:

Wendy. 

Kenya has land at altitude where most of their athletes come from and train. 

They are national icons when they reach top level and are given every support possible. 

Mo Farrah trains in the Rockies in the USA and has also enjoyed support in fitness,  nutrition etc. 

13 hours ago, St.Ricky said:

Wendy. 

Kenya has land at altitude where most of their athletes come from and train. 

They are national icons when they reach top level and are given every support possible. 

Mo Farrah trains in the Rockies in the USA and has also enjoyed support in fitness,  nutrition etc. 

Can Mo run backwards, though?

On 11/8/2018 at 12:44 PM, The Original 59er said:

I think it was John Collins who went from Celtic to Monaco in the mid-90's and realised that the diet and approach to fitness was miles behind in Scotland. Paul Lambert saw the same thing when he played in Germany.

If we can get the players to think more about their overall fitness -  their diet, what they eat to gain maximum physical performance, when they eat, when they sleep, what they drink, increase mental strength  - it all has to be brought into the equation. 

I would be very surprised if Anton Ferdinand hasn't seen this and the benefits at various clubs he has been involved with.

I like this take on the appointment. 

On 11/8/2018 at 12:44 PM, The Original 59er said:

I have tried to come up with a way of explaining what my problem is with sports science so here goes.

For someone like Andy Murray at his peak, these small refinements offered by sports science work and give him an edge which is measurable against other players also at the top of their game.

For clubs like ours where the players are at a standard well below that of top sportsmen, using the refinements from sports science would be equivalent to putting spoilers on a Robin Reliant. You are rearranging the deckchairs for optimal sunlight when the whole ship is leaking water into the bedrooms and the food is riddled with E-coli.

Until the players are performing near their peak, the improvements offered by sports science would be lost in the noise, a bit like standing at the South Pole and putting a thin cardigan on to keep out the cold. Technically that extra cardigan works but you would never notice it because you would still die of hypothermia.

For the same reason, it's not worth me investing in double glazing when I have no doors in my house.

Edited by oaksoft

I have tried to come up with a way of explaining what my problem is with sports science so here goes.
For someone like Andy Murray at his peak, these small refinements offered by sports science work and give him an edge which is measurable against other players also at the top of their game.
For clubs like ours where the players are at a standard well below that of top sportsmen, using the refinements from sports science would be equivalent to putting spoilers on a Robin Reliant. You are rearranging the deckchairs for optimal sunlight when the whole ship is leaking water into the bedrooms and the food is riddled with E-coli.
Until the players are performing near their peak, the improvements offered by sports science would be lost in the noise, a bit like standing at the South Pole and putting a thin cardigan on to keep out the cold. Technically that extra cardigan works but you would never notice it because you would still die of hypothermia.
For the same reason, it's not worth me investing in double glazing when I have no doors in my house.

There is no such vehicle as a Robin Reliant .

Happy to clear that up.