Welcome Junior Mendes

Sonny

1 hour ago, Sonny said:

Since you are unsure, watch Junior's interview where he explains it. About 40 seconds in.  https://www.stmirren.com/buddievision-content/2338-buddievision-interview-junior-mendes

I don't subscribe to BV.

Is he saying he is going to be directly and solely responsible for the fitness of the players?

If so, he's been hired as more than just a sports scientist and we have another coach at the club not doing their job.

Edited by oaksoft

Here is a quote from his prospectus ....

Sport and exercise science helps athletes to perform at the highest levels and pushes the bounds of physical achievement to new levels.

and from another Uni ...

They help individual athletes and teams to improve their sporting performance

4 minutes ago, Sonny said:

Here is a quote from his prospectus ....

Sport and exercise science helps athletes to perform at the highest levels and pushes the bounds of physical achievement to new levels.

and from another Uni ...

They help individual athletes and teams to improve their sporting performance

So he's not involved in training the players then. Just as I said - our fans don't seem to know what these guys actually do on a day to day basis.

3 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

So he's not involved in training the players then. Just as I said - our fans don't seem to know what these guys actually do on a day to day basis.

And as I said his job is to improves the fitness of individual players.

You are the only person on this thread to relate it to day to day training which no-one else has even suggested. Looks like you are the fan that doesn't know what a sports scientist does.

Guest TPAFKATS

Our manager answered a question at last night's Q&A explaining that junior will take the warm up amongst other things. This would be involvement in training the players IMO.

Guest TPAFKATS
Got to say. Given where P.T. are this doesn't fill me with confidence. Perhaps the players at Partick were passing over all particularly prominent pointers.
Why would Patrick's current woes be down to the sports scientist?

25 minutes ago, Sonny said:

You are the only person on this thread to relate it to day to day training which no-one else has even suggested. Looks like you are the fan that doesn't know what a sports scientist does.

FFS if players can't get through 90 minutes of football on a weekend, no amount of f**king about with his electrolytes or diet will fix that. That isn't what a sports scientist is for. End of. That basic level of fitness is for the player and his coaches to sort out.

Sports science will only give marginal benefits for players already at their peak of performance in order to take them on another 10% and be the best in the world. Without already being at the peak, the benefits will be washed away in the noise of fluctuating form due to things like mental wellbeing and general ability of people performing at lower levels of ability. The reason the best teams in the world use this is because they are already at peak ability and can take advantage of tiny margins offered by sports science.

At our level it's "all the gear no idea" and a total waste of money.

4 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:
44 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Our manager answered a question at last night's Q&A explaining that junior will take the warm up amongst other things. This would be involvement in training the players IMO.

In which case he is being hired as more than a sports scientist.

Sports scientists do not take training sessions. We have coaches who are already supposed to be doing that.

Edited by oaksoft

Guest TPAFKATS
In which case he is being hired as more than a sports scientist.
Sports scientists do not take training sessions.
Does it matter?
The previous guy left, he's been replaced. Probably the same duties but might be additional ones.

32 minutes ago, Sonny said:

According to TPAK the manager himself is talking about his involvement in training.

1 minute ago, TPAFKATS said:

Does it matter?
The previous guy left, he's been replaced. Probably the same duties but might be additional ones.

It matters because we are already paying for trainers and now we have another one with overlapping duties.

It should concern fans that this is needed because we have a squad to replace in 7 weeks time.

Edited by oaksoft

5 hours ago, Sonny said:

Some of our players do not look fit enough for 90mins - Willock in particular. (I like the guy but he also seems to drop down a level by 60 mins).

If Junior can help improve any player's fitness to put in a full shift for 90mins in the Premiership  then he is a useful signing.

As much as he’s been an excellent addition in steadying our defence, I’m still astonished that in Anton Ferdinand, we are playing a guy in the Scottish Premiership that can’t go up for corners because he isnae fit enough to run back. Bonkers!

14 hours ago, Wendy Saintss said:

Complete waste of money.

We don’t need a sports scientist

I would suggest the physical state of several within the squad indicates we do ! Physiology is not something your average football coach knows a lot about. It is clear we have an issue with fitness within the squad and the club are quite rightly trying to address that.  You would rather the manager was forced to persist with players not at their physical peak ???

15 hours ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

As much as he’s been an excellent addition in steadying our defence, I’m still astonished that in Anton Ferdinand, we are playing a guy in the Scottish Premiership that can’t go up for corners because he isnae fit enough to run back. Bonkers!

That does bamboozle me too. 

On ‎11‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 10:16 AM, Ayrshire Saints said:

I would suggest the physical state of several within the squad indicates we do ! Physiology is not something your average football coach knows a lot about. It is clear we have an issue with fitness within the squad and the club are quite rightly trying to address that.  You would rather the manager was forced to persist with players not at their physical peak ???

I would rather that the manager got the players up to their physical peak. That's his job!

I see that Junior has just graduated from UWS with a Masters in Research, after having graduated previously with a BSc in Sports Science.

His research was in relation to the impact of competition exertion on performance recovery in professional male footballers in association with UWS academic Dr.Chris Easton.

• 3 weeks later...