St Mirren v Hearts 24 November 2018

St.Ricky

As poor as Hearts were, that was as good a performance from Saints as I have witnessed in the last while.

The energy levels and the belief the players shown was fantastic. I knew about Hammill's dead ball finesse but that first goal was superb. I was delighted with the central defensive partnership which I was initially concerned about. I also thought we looked a lot fitter. 91st minute and Hodson was running up the park with the ball and then chasing back to defend. It's not just the victory. It's the manner of it and the fact we got no more than we deserved. Could have, perhaps, should have, been more.

The players need to remember that feeling and use it.

2 clean sheets in league this season Baird playing in both?
I love Jack.
I think he has a huge future in the game.

I actually think he was a bit nervy at times in that first half.

Having Ferdinand at the club has done wonders for both Jones and Baird.

Pre match, despite supporting both players fully, that combo v Hearts scared me.

Glad they proved me wrong.

As poor as Hearts were, that was as good a performance from Saints as I have witnessed in the last while.
The energy levels and the belief the players shown was fantastic. I knew about Hammill's dead ball finesse but that first goal was superb. I was delighted with the central defensive partnership which I was initially concerned about. I also thought we looked a lot fitter. 91st minute and Hodson was running up the park with the ball and then chasing back to defend. It's not just the victory. It's the manner of it and the fact we got no more than we deserved. Could have, perhaps, should have, been more.
The players need to remember that feeling and use it.
Bastard!
I agree completely! [emoji12]

Can't really fault any of the team today. Paul McGinn was a stand out and what a goal that would have been if his effort towards the end had gone in. Adam Hamill what a goal, superb vision and a peach of a strike. Hearts didn't look like league winning material today and hopefully today was the day our boys decided we're not relegation certainties either. Dundee aren't down and out yet. That was a massive result today. Well done the Buds. Hopefully we're on our way. [emoji481][emoji481][emoji481][emoji481][emoji481][emoji481][emoji471][emoji481][emoji106]

Guest TPAFKATS
I love Jack.
I think he has a huge future in the game.

I actually think he was a bit nervy at times in that first half.

Having Ferdinand at the club has done wonders for both Jones and Baird.

Pre match, despite supporting both players fully, that combo v Hearts scared me.

Glad they proved me wrong.
Anton is a great influence on whoever he plays alongside.

Managed to watch the game online using Saints TV for the first time. Well I was wrong, Hearts didn't get anywhere near as physical as they did at Tynecastle and it somehow played into our hands.

Make no mistake this wasn't a brilliant or a dominant performance, it was workmanlike and for the majority of the game it looked like we lacked the creative spark to create any chances that weren't from a second ball after going long or the ball breaking behind their defence. Fortunately Hammill looked up and gave us something to fight for.

Despite keeping a clean sheet we left a lot of open spaces and gave away too many easy chances. Which would have been punished on another day.

But that was so much better than the dross we've had to suffer for the entire season. That level of work rate is a minimum now, we just need to add in some quality.

42 minutes ago, TopCat said:

Jack Baird is the best centre half at the football club.

Anton Ferdinand reminds me of an ex pro I once played fives with.

He couldn’t run due to injury, but he was that much better than us that he could get away with just walking, sometimes.

This actually reminds me when  Roy Aitken played for us...he just strolled through the whole game like a walk in the park and was quite frankly majestic 

44 minutes ago, gc_SMFC said:

Managed to watch the game online using Saints TV for the first time. Well I was wrong, Hearts didn't get anywhere near as physical as they did at Tynecastle and it somehow played into our hands.

Make no mistake this wasn't a brilliant or a dominant performance, it was workmanlike and for the majority of the game it looked like we lacked the creative spark to create any chances that weren't from a second ball after going long or the ball breaking behind their defence. Fortunately Hammill looked up and gave us something to fight for.

Despite keeping a clean sheet we left a lot of open spaces and gave away too many easy chances. Which would have been punished on another day.

But that was so much better than the dross we've had to suffer for the entire season. That level of work rate is a minimum now, we just need to add in some quality.

Sometimes hard work deserves luck

3 hours ago, BuddieinEK said:

I am actually grateful for Stubbs time at the club!

Had Oran followed Jack, there would have been unfavorable comparisons.

Stubbs showed us the dangers, and taught me to be grateful!

He also gave Oran a challenge which he is rising to superbly in my eyes.

OK... Best manager of Saints since Jack Ross!

Jack Ross.. best manager at Saints since SAF!

Can't ignore the job Clunie or Hendrix did.

Thought we were great today..

I didn't think we stood a chance, and laughed at the positivity of my pal on the bus to Paisley when he suggested we could win.

I was wrong and very glad to have been wrong.  I don't think anyone let us down today. Standouts were P McGinn and Adam Hamill but special mentions go to Baird, Jones and Danny Rogers .

Think folk were being very harsh on McShane before the match. I really like what he offers to the team and think he is showing up well in this league.  In saying that I was a big fan of his last season too when everyone was getting on his back. 

Anyway COYS KTF mon the Saints!!

I didn't think we stood a chance, and laughed at the positivity of my pal on the bus to Paisley when he suggested we could win.
I was wrong and very glad to have been wrong.  I don't think anyone let us down today. Standouts were P McGinn and Adam Hamill but special mentions go to Baird, Jones and Danny Rogers .
Think folk were being very harsh on McShane before the match. I really like what he offers to the team and think he is showing up well in this league.  In saying that I was a big fan of his last season too when everyone was getting on his back. 

No failures today. For me very unexpected but hopefully the start of a revival. Biggest thing I noticed was desire and fitness improved exponentially. How, I'm not sure, but I don't care, it was great. A lot of that team had their best game in the stripes. Epotimised for me by the lung burster from Hodson in injury time, fab. Anyway, new goalie clean sheet. Is he any good? We still don't know, not a save to be made but seems a calm enough character. CH duo cool as a cucumber, excellent. Full backs top marks. P McGinn sublime at RH. McShane dig and desire not seen before, S McGinn snapping and snarling in to everything. Magennis well, just Magennis. Up top Simeon worked his socks off and the undoubtedly talented Hamill burst his hoop for the cause as well as backing up his YouTube montage with another worldie. 2 subs introduced at the right time and had the right impact. If Carling did Saturday's.....

1 minute ago, scam75 said:
13 minutes ago, Hambud said:

No failures today. For me very unexpected but hopefully the start of a revival. Biggest thing I noticed was desire and fitness improved exponentially. How, I'm not sure, but I don't care, it was great. A lot of that team had their best game in the stripes. Epotimised for me by the lung burster from Hodson in injury time, fab. Anyway, new goalie clean sheet. Is he any good? We still don't know, not a save to be made but seems a calm enough character. CH duo cool as a cucumber, excellent. Full backs top marks. P McGinn sublime at RH. McShane dig and desire not seen before, S McGinn snapping and snarling in to everything. Magennis well, just Magennis. Up top Simeon worked his socks off and the undoubtedly talented Hamill burst his hoop for the cause as well as backing up his YouTube montage with another worldie. 2 subs introduced at the right time and had the right impact. If Carling did Saturday's.....

You sum it up perfectly! 

COYS

Jack Baird best centre half at club and Paul McGinn an attacking threat, god help us .

Jack's sister Shona would be a  better option as for Paul McGinn have a chat with some Thistle fans.

A win is  a win though can we build on it next week against Accies???