Heart of the Team

Kemp

Yesterday's game completely turned when Stephen McGinn came on. Unfortunately on this website there a lot of people who just don't understand anything about football and have been on Stephen's back this season. As I had been saying, we would notice when he is not there. He is a presence in midfield, can win the ball, pick out a pass, split an opposing defence - and he is the only player we have that can do that. (And yes, he has had a few bad games this season, Im not denying that.)

Kyle Magennis was the one other bright light yesterday, one of his best performances for us I thought. At times he seemed to be everywhere, either driving the team forward or making long runs back to recover the ball.

Ethan Erhahon looks ready to take the step up now, and although struggling at times yesterday due to being played out of his position showed he has the cool head required to perform in a relegation battle.

It is time for Kearney to stop tinkering with formations and line-ups, get a settled tactical approach in place and make these three St Mirren Academy graduates the heart of the team.

With Samson and Ferdinand at the back and Jackson up front we would finally have a strong spine to the team. Willock can compete with Erhahon in the middle of the park as well.

As delighted as I was to see the back of Stubbs, Kearney has been making some bizzare decisions which have contributed to our woeful run of form. Cammy MacPherson, Erhahon, Paul McGinn all being played out of position has weakened the team on numerous occasions. Ian McShane and Ryan Edwards being on the park at this stage is just ridiculous. I can't fault Edwards for effort but as an attacking threat in the Premier League? It's laughable!

Yesterday we ended up with Paul McGinn giving the ball away cheaply and Kenny Miller standing unmarked for the Dundee equaliser. We also had a first-half spell where our defence was all over the place and we couldn't retain the ball for more than 3 seconds - get the ball and punt every time. Even at the end when we were well on top we wasted possession constantly with Hodson and Edwards just ballooning the ball out the pitch. This is all down to selecting poor players and not having a properly drilled game plan and formation. We couldn't even take throw-ins properly most of the game!

After the international break, get these guys in at the heart of the team. McGinn, Eckersley, Baird and Ferdinand across the back. And use McGinn and Magennis' qualities to actually get the ball to the feet of Jackson, Smith and Mullen up front.

Stop experimenting, drill one system, and get the best players in the team!

Edited by Kemp

9 minutes ago, Kemp said:

Yesterday's game completely turned when Stephen McGinn came on. Unfortunately on this website there a lot of people who just don't understand anything about football and have been on Stephen's back this season. As I had been saying, we would notice when he is not there. He is a presence in midfield, can win the ball, pick out a pass, split an opposing defence - and he is the only player we have that can do that. (And yes, he has had a few bad games this season, Im not denying that.)

Kyle Magennis was the one other bright light yesterday, one of his best performances for us I thought. At times he seemed to be everywhere, either driving the team forward or making long runs back to recover the ball.

Ethan Erhahon looks ready to take the step up now, and although struggling at times yesterday due to being played out of his position showed he has the cool head required to perform in a relegation battle.

It is time for Kearney to stop tinkering with formations and line-ups, get a settled tactical approach in place and make these three St Mirren Academy graduates the heart of the team.

With Samson and Ferdinand at the back and Jackson up front we would finally have a strong spine to the team. Willock can compete with Erhahon in the middle of the park as well.

As delighted as I was to see the back of Stubbs, Kearney has been making some bizzare decisions which have contributed to our woeful run of form. Cammy MacPherson, Erhahon, Paul McGinn all being played out of position has weakened the team on numerous occasions. Ian McShane and Ryan Edwards being on the park at this stage is just ridiculous. I can't fault Edwards for effort but as an attacking threat in the Premier League? It's laughable!

Yesterday we ended up with Paul McGinn giving the ball away cheaply and Kenny Miller standing unmarked for the Dundee equaliser. We also had a first-half spell where our defence was all over the place and we couldn't retain the ball for more than 3 seconds - get the ball and punt every time. Even at the end when we were well on top we wasted possession constantly with Hodson and Edwards just ballooning the ball out the pitch. This is all down to selecting poor players and not having a properly drilled game plan and formation. We couldn't even take throw-ins properly most of the game!

After the international break, get these guys in at the heart of the team. McGinn, Eckersley, Baird and Ferdinand across the back. And use McGinn and Magennis' qualities to actually get the ball to the feet of Jackson, Smith and Mullen up front.

For once, a decent post from Kemp. :thumbsup

11 minutes ago, bud84 said:

Agree with all of this apart from maybe getting Baird back into defence. I think Alfie Jones has played well these last few games and deserves to be in there ahead of Jack right now. 

I've not been overly impressed by Jones. 

I also struggle to see the point in developing a player for Southampton when we have our own player who is equally good or better.

Thought he played well against Rangers last week and again yesterday.

I take your point about developing players but I don't really think we're in a position to be worrying about that,  we're fighting for our lives and if a players playing well then regardless if he's ours or not then he should play. 

It's all about opinions though 

Surely the midfield pairing of Magennis and McGinnis would have been playing every week had they both been fit to do so. To say they haven't due to Kearneys selection policy is probably shite. He is trying to find the best partner for Ferdinand at the back and Jackson up front so change in those positions is understandable. Elsewhere players have been playing poorly so no surprise to see a new manager try different players in different positions. It will continue until Kearney gets to replace who he feels are not good enough. Isn't Jones a holding midfielder ? If so its strange he hasn't played there. Perhaps Ferdinand is maybe advising as to who he thinks is the better partner beside him, he should have a fair idea given his experience.

Think most of the tinkering is to do with injuries, ineligible players and suspensions nothing Kearney can do about that.

People need to stop searching for reasons why we’re struggling blaming Kearney for tinkering blaming individual players.

It’s clearly obvious we have an unbalanced shit squad and hopefully in January we can sort things out with the squad.

19 minutes ago, buddies1877 said:

Think most of the tinkering is to do with injuries, ineligible players and suspensions nothing Kearney can do about that.

People need to stop searching for reasons why we’re struggling blaming Kearney for tinkering blaming individual players.

It’s clearly obvious we have an unbalanced shit squad and hopefully in January we can sort things out with the squad.

I totally agree and would like to add he had no prior knowledge of our players and side. I fully expected him to try out different players, formations etc. At least now he should know who isnt up to the job. 

5 hours ago, Kemp said:

I've not been overly impressed by Jones. 

I also struggle to see the point in developing a player for Southampton when we have our own player who is equally good or better.

You are struggling to understand how the loan system works and why we should make use of it at a time when we are one point from bottom and cut adrift from everyone else in the league? :blink:

Edited by oaksoft

4 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

You are struggling to understand how the loan system works and why we should make use of it at a time when we are one point from bottom and cut adrift from everyone else in the league? :blink:

In fairness I think the point he was making is that if there isn’t much between the two players, then he’d rather we developed our player instead of someone else’s.

Whether there’s not much difference between the two players is obviously a matter of opinion.

5 hours ago, buddies1877 said:

Fair points. Will happen again v Hearts with Edwards inelligible.

6 hours ago, bud84 said:

Thought he played well against Rangers last week and again yesterday.

I take your point about developing players but I don't really think we're in a position to be worrying about that,  we're fighting for our lives and if a players playing well then regardless if he's ours or not then he should play. 

It's all about opinions though 

Where was Jones when the almost 40 yr old K Miller had time and space for the equalizer yesterday? The same old and slow K Miller has 3 good attempts on goal - none of which was shut down in central defence...

There were a number of times in previous games Alfie lost his marker too and in the Motherwell game he made no challenge on Main who laid the ball off to Cadden for the 2nd goal..

Actually, he has played better recently, than he did in his early games, but there is no way that he is a better player than Baird.

My conclusion is that OK wants to really examine ALL his options. So, with players tied up on 1, 2 and 3 year contracts, it is not only about who he would really like to get rid off, it is about who he might find it easiest to get rid of...Baird is only on contract till the end of the season. Not sure if any of us knows if Baird is  fully fit or carrying a knock either?

2 hours ago, Sweeper07 said:

Where was Jones when the almost 40 yr old K Miller had time and space for the equalizer yesterday? The same old and slow K Miller has 3 good attempts on goal - none of which was shut down in central defence...

There were a number of times in previous games Alfie lost his marker too and in the Motherwell game he made no challenge on Main who laid the ball off to Cadden for the 2nd goal..

Actually, he has played better recently, than he did in his early games, but there is no way that he is a better player than Baird.

My conclusion is that OK wants to really examine ALL his options. So, with players tied up on 1, 2 and 3 year contracts, it is not only about who he would really like to get rid off, it is about who he might find it easiest to get rid of...Baird is only on contract till the end of the season. Not sure if any of us knows if Baird is  fully fit or carrying a knock 

Who said he was better? What i said was jones has started to play better these last few games and that i dont think he deserves to lose his place after the break.

The amount of goals we've been conceding in recent weeks with Jones in defence beside Ferdinand is also a lot less than we were conceding with Baird in the team.  

If your going to single Jones out for goals in certain games then have a think back to ibrox  where Baird made an arse of it for the first goal and the ones he cost up at pittodrie as well. We were 4 down at pittodrie in the first game up there when Jones came on at half time and thankfully we didn't concede again. 

15 hours ago, Kemp said:

YOU should have applied for the job friend; you seem to have it sorted B)

15 hours ago, shull said:
15 hours ago, Kemp said:

For once, a decent post from Kemp. :thumbsup

AND when Kemp gets the managers job, YOU can be his assistant as both of you seem to know FAR more than OK .     so it would seem?  B)

11 hours ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

Surely the midfield pairing of Magennis and McGinnis would have been playing every week had they both been fit to do so. To say they haven't due to Kearneys selection policy is probably shite. He is trying to find the best partner for Ferdinand at the back and Jackson up front so change in those positions is understandable. Elsewhere players have been playing poorly so no surprise to see a new manager try different players in different positions. It will continue until Kearney gets to replace who he feels are not good enough. Isn't Jones a holding midfielder ? If so its strange he hasn't played there. Perhaps Ferdinand is maybe advising as to who he thinks is the better partner beside him, he should have a fair idea given his experience.

Well said sir.  KEMP!! take note of this please

16 hours ago, bud84 said:

1. Who said he was better? What i said was jones has started to play better these last few games and that i dont think he deserves to lose his place after the break.

2. The amount of goals we've been conceding in recent weeks with Jones in defence beside Ferdinand is also a lot less than we were conceding with Baird in the team.  

3. If your going to single Jones out for goals in certain games then have a think back to ibrox  where Baird made an arse of it for the first goal and the ones he cost up at pittodrie as well. We were 4 down at pittodrie in the first game up there when Jones came on at half time and thankfully we didn't concede again. 

1. I am not saying that you said he was better - I clearly said that I don't believe that he is...

2. It is easy to use certain figures and give a false picture (Lies, damn lies and statistics) 

So Jones played against Dundee and lost his marker for the 1 goal we conceded in that game (he also lost him on 2 other occasions - so it could very well have been 3 goals from the man he was marking); He played against Gers and we lost 2 goals and Morelos his man was left in space to finish for the 2nd ; Against Well he made no challenge on Main who laid the ball off for Cadden - though Edwards lost Cadden too - the 1st was no cover in midfield & a weak attempt to save by Sammy - another 2 goals against us ; (5 goals conceded in 3 games)

Against St. J's both he and Baird played losing 2 goals - we were very lucky when Alfie slipped and left the goals gapping - what a miss that was. P McGinn was at fault for the 1st goal and gave away the 1st penalty - Hodson gave away the 2nd penalty and lost his marker for the 2nd goal.  Baird played well... Alfie not too badly either..

Against Killie when Baird played we lost 2, against Hibs played we lost 1, against Tic Baird played we lost 0  (3 goals in 3 games) -

3. I have pointed this out before - Baird lost control to Morelos who passes it to an unmarked striker who then passed it back to Morelos - Isn't Ferdinand meant to cover in central defence - oh he was missing there as well … We can point to all players who failed in various ways.

so you mention the Aberdeen game -  At the 1st goal neither Baird nor Ferdinand covered very well - the later missed the header but the striker did make a great run   ; at the 2nd it was midfield that lost a marker ; at the 3rd a bad clearance (not by Baird) was then deflected off Hodson, and fell to Hodson's man who scored : at the 4th Hodson fell and the winger crossed it in to the man Ferdinand was "marking" and his shot was palmed into the goal by Sammy... but Baird played so he must take a share of the blame where others let the side down too - it is a team game... Oh and we all know how Aberdeen knew the game was over as a contest when they were 4 in front..

19 hours ago, Sweeper07 said:

My conclusion is that OK wants to really examine ALL his options. So, with players tied up on 1, 2 and 3 year contracts, it is not only about who he would really like to get rid off, it is about who he might find it easiest to get rid of...Baird is only on contract till the end of the season. Not sure if any of us knows if Baird is  fully fit or carrying a knock either?

Given their age and stage of development , we are fortunate to have both of these young players at this time. That's what they are. Young players.  Ferdinand is not beyond making mistakes. The young lads can learn a lot from him though. They also need to act as "extra legs" alongside him.

52 minutes ago, Sweeper07 said:

1. I am not saying that you said he was better - I clearly said that I don't believe that he is...

2. It is easy to use certain figures and give a false picture (Lies, damn lies and statistics) 

So Jones played against Dundee and lost his marker for the 1 goal we conceded in that game (he also lost him on 2 other occasions - so it could very well have been 3 goals from the man he was marking); He played against Gers and we lost 2 goals and Morelos his man was left in space to finish for the 2nd ; Against Well he made no challenge on Main who laid the ball off for Cadden - though Edwards lost Cadden too - the 1st was no cover in midfield & a weak attempt to save by Sammy - another 2 goals against us ; (5 goals conceded in 3 games)

Against St. J's both he and Baird played losing 2 goals - we were very lucky when Alfie slipped and left the goals gapping - what a miss that was. P McGinn was at fault for the 1st goal and gave away the 1st penalty - Hodson gave away the 2nd penalty and lost his marker for the 2nd goal.  Baird played well... Alfie not too badly either..

Against Killie when Baird played we lost 2, against Hibs played we lost 1, against Tic Baird played we lost 0  (3 goals in 3 games) -

3. I have pointed this out before - Baird lost control to Morelos who passes it to an unmarked striker who then passed it back to Morelos - Isn't Ferdinand meant to cover in central defence - oh he was missing there as well … We can point to all players who failed in various ways.

so you mention the Aberdeen game -  At the 1st goal neither Baird nor Ferdinand covered very well - the later missed the header but the striker did make a great run   ; at the 2nd it was midfield that lost a marker ; at the 3rd a bad clearance (not by Baird) was then deflected off Hodson, and fell to Hodson's man who scored : at the 4th Hodson fell and the winger crossed it in to the man Ferdinand was "marking" and his shot was palmed into the goal by Sammy... but Baird played so he must take a share of the blame where others let the side down too - it is a team game... Oh and we all know how Aberdeen knew the game was over as a contest when they were 4 in front..

I've neither the time nor can be bothered going back and watching every game they've both played in but from memory Baird made an arse of it at ibrox and he was solely to blame for the first goal , at Aberdeen in the second pumping we got he lost his man ( cosgrove ) for the first and for the 3rd instead of stepping out like any half decent centre half would do he ran after the ball into a position he didn't need to be in to leave the boy Lowe standing himself in the centre of the goals. That's just 3 goals from memory so far this season.

Anyway like I said in my first post on the matter 'it's all about opinions' you have yours and I have mines. 

I've every confidence we're going to get our first win under OK in the Hamilton game after Hearts ,  whether that be with JB or AJ in the team we'll need to wait and see. 

1 hour ago, bud84 said:

I've neither the time nor can be bothered going back and watching every game they've both played in but from memory Baird made an arse of it at ibrox and he was solely to blame for the first goal , at Aberdeen in the second pumping we got he lost his man ( cosgrove ) for the first and for the 3rd instead of stepping out like any half decent centre half would do he ran after the ball into a position he didn't need to be in to leave the boy Lowe standing himself in the centre of the goals. That's just 3 goals from memory so far this season.

Anyway like I said in my first post on the matter 'it's all about opinions' you have yours and I have mines. 

I've every confidence we're going to get our first win under OK in the Hamilton game after Hearts ,  whether that be with JB or AJ in the team we'll need to wait and see. 

Baird may have "made and arse of it" but he was certainly not "solely" to blame for the first goal at Ibrox

7 minutes ago, Spam_Valley said:

Who else was to blame? Baird and only Baird made a James Hunt of it and caused the goal.

For me he had to deal with a horrible pass from McGinn (McGinn's fault) that bounced right up on him, he mis-controlled it (Bairds fault) and poor reactions from some around them (collective fault). Baird was definitely the most culpable but not "solely" to blame in my opinion.