Heart of the Team

Kemp

18 hours ago, jaybee said:

Well said sir.  KEMP!! take note of this please

I would just like to make a public apology to everyone for starting a discussion around St Mirren tactics and line-up on the General St Mirren Discussion board for a St Mirren discussion forum.

It was out of place and I won't do it again.

23 hours ago, Sweeper07 said:

Where was Jones when the almost 40 yr old K Miller had time and space for the equalizer yesterday? The same old and slow K Miller has 3 good attempts on goal - none of which was shut down in central defence...

There were a number of times in previous games Alfie lost his marker too and in the Motherwell game he made no challenge on Main who laid the ball off to Cadden for the 2nd goal..

Actually, he has played better recently, than he did in his early games, but there is no way that he is a better player than Baird.

This is how I've seen it, I am genuinely confused at all the "Jones has done well" talk. Every time I look at him he has someone tearing away from him. 

Kenny Miller had the freedom of Dundee at points on Saturday!

3 hours ago, bud84 said:

I've neither the time nor can be bothered going back and watching every game they've both played in but from memory Baird made an arse of it at ibrox and he was solely to blame for the first goal , at Aberdeen in the second pumping we got he lost his man ( cosgrove ) for the first and for the 3rd instead of stepping out like any half decent centre half would do he ran after the ball into a position he didn't need to be in to leave the boy Lowe standing himself in the centre of the goals. That's just 3 goals from memory so far this season.

Anyway like I said in my first post on the matter 'it's all about opinions' you have yours and I have mines. 

I've every confidence we're going to get our first win under OK in the Hamilton game after Hearts ,  whether that be with JB or AJ in the team we'll need to wait and see. 

YEAH - don't trust your memory OR what I would suggest is don't blame your memory for seeing things from an unfair perspective - we all have biases  BEWARE!!!

So the stuff I wrote which is based on actual coverage must be wrong then - where was Ferdinand and Hodson in these goals which you blame Baird for???

I am not sure I have your confidence but, like you I would love OK to take 3 points against Hamilton...:D

26 minutes ago, Sweeper07 said:

YEAH - don't trust your memory OR what I would suggest is don't blame your memory for seeing things from an unfair perspective - we all have biases  BEWARE!!!

So the stuff I wrote which is based on actual coverage must be wrong then - where was Ferdinand and Hodson in these goals which you blame Baird for???

I am not sure I have your confidence but, like you I would love OK to take 3 points against Hamilton...:D

I'd suggest maybe your the one being biased towards Baird because he's came from our academy and not just someone who's here for a year then will be away back down the road to his real club, but again that's just my opinion. 

Anyway been smashing talking to you but I'm kinda bored of it all now tbh  :D

St Mirren 2 Hamilton 0 

Jones x2 :P

19 hours ago, jaybee said:

I actually LIKE Edwards ......         if only he could play football?  :P

I really don't get the criticism of Edwards. He's as good a midfielder as most in the squad. I thought he was our best player v Kilmarnock, Motherwell and the rangers. He's not the best but certainly not the worst. And his effort is unquestionable.

26 minutes ago, bud84 said:

I'd suggest maybe your the one being biased towards Baird because he's came from our academy and not just someone who's here for a year then will be away back down the road to his real club, but again that's just my opinion. 

Anyway been smashing talking to you but I'm kinda bored of it all now tbh  :D

St Mirren 2 Hamilton 0 

Jones x2 :P

My "bias" towards Baird is simply I think he gets an unfair swipe more than most, and having played CB, I see his actual strengths and what he does contribute..

Personally don't mind if Jones scored 2 goals AGAINST  Hamilton - so long as he doesn't cost us more than we score.. :fire

7 minutes ago, Sweeper07 said:

My "bias" towards Baird is simply I think he gets an unfair swipe more than most, and having played CB, I see his actual strengths and what he does contribute..

Personally don't mind if Jones scored 2 goals AGAINST  Hamilton - so long as he doesn't cost us more than we score.. :fire

Oh so you admit your biased then, good lad :thumbsup

3 minutes ago, stlucifer said:

So you tell me.

Being honest. Who was better in the games I mentioned?

Well.....everyone! Edwards looks ok until he gets the ball. A major problem for a footballer. 

Every single time the ball goes near him within 5 seconds it is out the park or the opposition have it back! Maybe he is being played out of position or something, I really don't see how he has made a career of it so far.

1 minute ago, Kemp said:

Well.....everyone! Edwards looks ok until he gets the ball. A major problem for a footballer. 

Every single time the ball goes near him within 5 seconds it is out the park or the opposition have it back! Maybe he is being played out of position or something, I really don't see how he has made a career of it so far.

I can honestly say, I don't think you watched any of the games or you had anti-Edward  specs on. Obviously the lad will never get a fair assessment from you.

6 minutes ago, bud84 said:

Quotes?? Don't you mean quotation marks? Anyway not your fault your not too clever            :withstupid

Now I get it - you have a split personality and your other persona is called stupid. normally you sign a message with your name, not who or what you are . . . . :notworthy

And quotes is short hand for quotation marks - we often do it with our 2 fingers on each hand - there you have learned something else … your welcome:boxing

(waiting for another fine retort - this time most likely about two fingers)

Baird for me from those two. Jones is too hesitant and not committed enough for me. Baird , on the other hand can be too hasty and over committed at times leading to errors.
Will be interesting to see if Heaton can make a breakthrough or what happens if McKenzie gets back fit.
None of them , not even Ferdinand can be looked on as perfect , strengths and weaknesses far all to see.

40 minutes ago, stlucifer said:

I can honestly say, I don't think you watched any of the games or you had anti-Edward  specs on. Obviously the lad will never get a fair assessment from you.

You can honestly say what you want, I watched the lot of them!

Why on earth would I have "anti-Edward specs"? I would love to see any of these guys find some form and start getting results for us. Quite a lot of them need to start doing that pretty quickly if they are going to have a career in football though!

1 hour ago, stlucifer said:

I really don't get the criticism of Edwards. He's as good a midfielder as most in the squad. I thought he was our best player v Kilmarnock, Motherwell and the rangers. He's not the best but certainly not the worst. And his effort is unquestionable.

Basically it breaks down to anyone that Stubbs signed get blamed for anything. Like i said previously everyone is a saints player no matter who signed them and we need the best from all of them. Calling them someone's duds is pretty stupid. I agree Edwards is doing ok

37 minutes ago, bud84 said:

Split personality? :lol: 

Noticed your making a bit of arse of yourself in another thread as well, do you practice this or does it just come naturally   

Like I said before,  Jones before Baird for me , even if it upsets a failed centre half like yourself. 

Now geez peace!

Split personality indeed - you ask for peace but your other persona asks me a question

2nd - kettle pot black - rearrange to make a well known saying and then apply it to yourself in this thread . . . 

12 minutes ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

I just don’t see what Edwards brings to the team. Like anyone who pulls on the stripes I wish him well and hope he succeeds but I see a lot of running and very little craft .
Needs to cut out the diving into needles tackles as well.

I think at times Edwards works hard and can contribute positively... but he is inconsistent and not brilliant for this level.

Trouble is we have too many players who are not the best for this level... we need better in a number of positions. Mostly we need to create and score more goals... loads more

2 minutes ago, Sweeper07 said:

I think at times Edwards works hard and can contribute positively... but he is inconsistent and not brilliant for this level.

Trouble is we have too many players who are not the best for this level... we need better in a number of positions. Mostly we need to create and score more goals... loads more

Yes he has good then bad games, like you say there are a fair few who need to up their game. And Saturday like the sevco game highlights our weaknesses in defensive midfield. Again a mistake, and poor postioning saw the opposition able to run through the middle of us.

last season we got away with it because there was almost always Lewis Morgan to pass to, and get us out of trouble. Seems so far we cant function effectively without one player. That needs to change.

7 minutes ago, Sweeper07 said:

Split personality indeed - you ask for peace but your other persona asks me a question

2nd - kettle pot black - rearrange to make a well known saying and then apply it to yourself in this thread . . . 

Right you are Raphael Scheidt/ Du Wei ( delete as appropriate) for such a clever guy I'm surprised you don't know a rhetorical question when you see one . 

Cheery bye 

It's like listening to a bunch of has been pundits who were average in their day and were never managers but suddenly think they know it all.

My only qualification is I've only missed the Motherwell game this season so I've seen every player in the team making howlers , Many of which have resulted in goals.

The bottom line is that  as it stands the team isn't good enough to compete in this league.  On the positive side apart from making some awful mistakes the same  players on occasion have strung together a couple of good moves and put in some excellent tackles which have given us something to cheer about. Shame it doesn't happen more often but the players just don't turn up every week. If only they would.

For what it's worth. Edwards best quality is workrate. He never stops and while it can be frustrating that some of his efforts are wasted At least he tries every week. Once the whole team adapt that attitude then drop him but until then I'd rather see a player trying and failing rather than seeing a player avoiding tackles and responsibility while making no contributions.

Our team at present is too light weight for this league.

Samson can make mistakes but on what I've seen of Rodgers  Sammy is a much better bet. An Automatic start

P McGinn is a decent experienced premiership right back. He defends, he gets behind players and gets crosses in. Not every week and not always on target but more than anyone else.  An automatic start

Jacky Baird is our boy but he is still developing. When he plays beside an experienced CH he looks good. When he is given autonomy his decision making is suspect. Ferdinand is good for him.

Big Anton has a presence but he is not exactly nimble on his feet his experience is a big plus but his limited mobility will be a disadvantage.

Alfie Jones. There is a player in there but he needs to stand up for himself. He gets bullied  too easily but I think he edges it slightly over Baird if Anton is playing. If Baird and Jones are playing together. Fear the worst.

Lee Hodson.  Another experience right back who is playing out of position. I think he has done a decent job there. Yes he has made some mistakes but who hasn't.

Ethan Erhahon.  A young lad who had played a few times in the first team and hadn't really impressed me. However against Rangers he looked a foot taller and handled himself well. It could be argued he should have closed Candeias down when he scored the wonder goal.  A good prospect but not yet the answer.

Kyle McGennis is a player. Young,strong, fearless and talented. The team should be built around him. An Automatic Start

Ryan Flynn. I think he gets a lot of bad press. When he turns up he can be a decent player. unfortunately he doesn't always turn up.

Stephen McGinn. A lot of time for him when he turns up he is excellent. Other times he looks overweight,tired and not at the races. The McGinn spin was evident again when he came on against Dundee. If he can get that back into his game we can progress.

Matty Willock there is a player in there and whilst he has recently shown a bit of commitment, all too often he seems reluctant to get stuck into a 50/50 challenge. He can pass a ball but I'm not sure he will ever win one.

Ian McShane  Aw poor boy.No one likes him maybe it's because he shags aw the burds. I don't think he will make the grade at this level but at present he doesn't look as bad as everyone says. This team makes him look OK.

Cammy McPherson,   I like him but like Baird and Jones he is still learning. He is a prospect but not quite the guy to save us.

Jordan Kirkpatrick . Another Ian McShane. Not sure about the burds though.

Adam Hammill.  He has a sore shoulder. Hopefully it will get better and so will he.

Simeon Jackson.   He will score the odd goal but he is too wee for this league unless we can give him better service. 

Cody Cooke  - Bigger than Jackson but fecking woeful in the early games of the season. Hes not gonna save us either.

Danny Mullen.  A cheating  wee  scallywag. He needs to get better at it or we won't score many more goals this season. Without set pieces we struggle. Danny Danny I do wish you would stay on your feet.

All in All, I don't see where our next point is coming from until we play Dundee again or Maybe Hamilton at Greenhill Road.

OK has his work cut out but everyone knew that when he came on board.  All we can do is hope he knows more than the crappy pundits and Forum Experts  and he can sort out the mess.

It will probably take a while though. Don't expect any quick fixes.

Anyway that's my attempt at being an expert and stating the obvious. I'm away to play Darts now. Something else I'm mince at

pint_of_beer_dartboard-ra1127213264d4c5a