Samson to Sunderland

div

Sunderland GK coach Jimmy Walker, who Jack recruited in the summer, has left the club to move to Ipswich in order to be closer to his family.

This in turn has kicked off a rumour that Jack wants Craig Samson to replace him.

I believe there is plenty substance to this and that Sammy could even leave before January.

Samson, 34, has now played his last game for the Paisley club.

After talks with boss Oran Kearney this morning the ex-Scotland squad goalie is ready to hang up his gloves and retire from playing.

Samson – a huge fans favourite – has agonised over whether to stay and play on this season or move on and end his own career.

But Kearney is ready to accept his decision to join previous Saints boss Ross at ambitious League One side Sunderland

Just now, billyg said:

Samson, 34, has now played his last game for the Paisley club.

After talks with boss Oran Kearney this morning the ex-Scotland squad goalie is ready to hang up his gloves and retire from playing.

Samson – a huge fans favourite – has agonised over whether to stay and play on this season or move on and end his own career.

But Kearney is ready to accept his decision to join previous Saints boss Ross at ambitious League One side Sunderland

Bit of a strange one considering we’ve just let lyness go to Airdrie on an emergency loan.

Would of thought he’d hold off until January so we have adequate cover.

3 minutes ago, mattman said:

Bit of a strange one considering we’ve just let lyness go to Airdrie on an emergency loan.

Would of thought he’d hold off until January so we have adequate cover.

Aye, thought this was paper/twatter talk.

If it happens we move on, overall I like Samson but we've had better.

Not really showing the club much respect leaving as quick as this suggests. 

Just now, faraway saint said:

Aye, thought this was paper/twatter talk.

If it happens we move on, overall I like Samson but we've had better.

We've not had better in recent times. Will be a big loss if this is true. 

1 minute ago, faraway saint said:

Agreed , but he's probably got ambitions in coaching , and joining what looks like a success story in England will certainly give him a great grounding. I'm sure he'll give us a nice wave bye bye and a going away speech.

Ability aside this is poor from one of the senior members of a struggling squad.

Not very inspiring  from one of the guys who has played at this level before and is supposed to be helping the young lads to decide he’s offski’s just over a quarter of the way into a relegation battle... if true of course.

3 minutes ago, Buddie-Boy said:

Unbelievable. If he’s been approached by Sunderland should we not get some sort of fee for him?

Only if he's going to register as a player. The word "retire" would seem to indicate that he's hanging up his gloves permanently !

1 minute ago, Buddie-Boy said:

Unbelievable. If he’s been approached by Sunderland should we not get some sort of fee for him?

When reading the article it says something about both clubs in discussions or 'held talks', so would hope that there is something in way of compensation. 

I am disappointed though as Sammy has served the club well and has rightly been our no#1 keeper. 

However, whilst I am disappointed to see him go, I wish him the best as he has to do whats right for him and his family.