Samson to Sunderland

div

2 minutes ago, Kemp said:

JR is the manager, that's a different job.

Sunderland are heavily in debt. He is going from 1st choice goalkeeper and one of the most senior members of the team to playing shoot the goalie and helping carry the kit. Doubt he will get much more.

So is Jamie's but that didn't stop him getting a huge increase in wages to go to Sunderland. With the potential of more in the English Championship where Sunderland are heading instead of the Scottish Championship where he may end up in 6 months.

And being in debt doen't stop clubs paying stupid wages. Servo Scotland Ltd just announced a £12M loss and are paying funny money to players.

Disappointed to see Samson leave like this, but can understand it. Great opportunity, and a sizable pay rise. As has been stated earlier, the job might not be there in January so it was a case of now or never. We have Rogers to step in and take his chance until January, when I'd expect us to look for another experienced keeper.

All the best Sammy - always a legend.

2 minutes ago, Sonny said:

And being in debt doen't stop clubs paying stupid wages. Servo Scotland Ltd just announced a £12M loss and are paying funny money to players.

This is true. As Oaksoft has kindly pointed out they actually had their debt cleared. What they are being is prudent now to avoid nearly going bankrupt again.

My main point is the money should not be an issue - you do not walk away from being St Mirren's number one to being a coach in the middle of the season. Unforgivable if true.

Just now, Kemp said:

This is true. As Oaksoft has kindly pointed out they actually had their debt cleared. What they are being is prudent now to avoid nearly going bankrupt again.

My main point is the money should not be an issue - you do not walk away from being St Mirren's number one to being a coach in the middle of the season. Unforgivable if true.

Being a coach with the potential Sunderland has is a great opportunity and I would forgive him for taking up the offer.

6 minutes ago, guinness said:

They come. They go. Life goes on.

Part of the interesting tapestry of the Jack Ross ledgend. 

No disrespect to Jack but as Alex Ferguson once said of Real Madrid..I wouldn't sell them a virus. 

Note: He then sold Ronaldo to RM for a fortune. 

Will history repeat itself .... 3 Million for our Captain at Dundee. 

JR is the manager, that's a different job.
Sunderland are heavily in debt. He is going from 1st choice goalkeeper and one of the most senior members of the team to playing shoot the goalie and helping carry the kit. Doubt he will get much more.

He will be getting a lot better than his current wage and when they go up it will increase even more and if jack gets a premiership gig then it becomes crazy money for all.

Should be no debate for him his family will come first and rightfully so

Good luck Sammy, whatever people think of his ability both of our managers this season rated him No. 1 at the club so it's got to be a concern that he's going now and there's no guarantee that anyone available in January (within our budget) will be better.

Oh and did I say good luck Sammy...……………………………..

17 minutes ago, Kemp said:

Wonder if this talk of him "retiring" is an attempt to weasel out of paying a transfer fee?

Would imagine so with Sunderland.

I think they would also need to wait till January if he was registered as player due to transfer windows. 

Sign him as a gk coach, January come out of retirement and act as 3rd/4th choice backup.

1 hour ago, div said:

Under contract with us until June 2021 and so highly rated by the manager that he threw him straight back into the team after injury, and made him captain.

Every player has his price of course but I think it would take a silly bid in January to prise him away from us. He wouldn't get a game in that Sunderland team right now either IMO.

Opinions, i think he would slot straight into the current Sunderland side. He is much more consistent than McGeady and can cut through the middle. He is a better ball player than the likes of Power and McGuire. The biggest surprise would be if there was no bid from wearside for him.

their board have been clear there would be no significant transfer fees paid until they got the high earners of the payroll (theres only one left), and that any signing would have to be likely to give a return on investment. In addition Ross was told he would only be allowed to pay a significant fee if, and when its obvious they are challenging.

that along with the fact they are pushing for 40,000 to attend on Boxing day all line up for a bid coming in, which will be as soon as the window opens as they have no break and the squad will be getting stretched by then.

I'll wager you a sausage sandwich there is, at the very least a bid. My guess is he'll go for £400-£450k bit short of Fitzy's million price tag.

Well I did not see this coming

Very, very best of luck to Craig.  Many players come and go and most are less than memorable like thingmie signed by thingmie from thingmie.  Craig Samson will never be a thingmie, he will always be a somebody.

Very best of luck Craig, Sunderland will be very lucky to receive some of that ginger magic

Right we need to sign thon thingmie from thingmie to play in goals!

Edited by TediousTom

52 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

Part of the interesting tapestry of the Jack Ross ledgend. 

No disrespect to Jack but as Alex Ferguson once said of Real Madrid..I wouldn't sell them a virus. 

Note: He then sold Ronaldo to RM for a fortune. 

Will history repeat itself .... 3 Million for our Captain at Dundee. 

If recent transfer dealings are anything to go by 250k will see him offski. Another strange twist in a thoroughly bizarre season !

Edited by Ayrshire Saints