Samson to Sunderland

div

Tough blow that.

Just when you think the season can’t get any worse, our best player retires in November [emoji53]

Samson is a true club legend. Was instrumental in our league win last season and our glorious league cup win in 2013.

Best keeper I’ve ever seen in a Saints jersey. Will be badly missed, all the best etc. Obviously can’t blame him for leaving, he will have been offered more money and given he’s 34 he would have been mad to turn it down.

We can’t even sign a replacement till January [emoji38]

4 minutes ago, TopCat said:

Tough blow that.

Just when you think the season can’t get any worse, our best player retires in November emoji53.png

Samson is a true club legend. Was instrumental in our league win last season and our glorious league cup win in 2013.

Best keeper I’ve ever seen in a Saints jersey. Will be badly missed, all the best etc. Obviously can’t blame him for leaving, he will have been offered more money and given he’s 34 he would have been mad to turn it down.

We can’t even sign a replacement till January emoji38.png

We don't need a replacement.

We already have two full time goalkeepers.

Official now ...

https://www.stmirren.com/news/club/all-news/2339-craig-samson-retires

St Mirren Football Club can confirm that Craig Samson has left the club to take up a role at Sunderland AFC.

Sammy, who has had two spells with Saints, retires after making over 150 appearances for the Buddies between 2010-2013 and 2017-2018.

In his time at St Mirren, Craig won the League Cup, the Ladbrokes Championship and broke the record for consecutive clean sheets at home.

As part of the move, Sunderland have agreed to play a pre-season match against Saints at the Simple Digital Arena in summer 2019.

Craig said: "I’d like to say thank you to the St Mirren fans for the way they’ve treated me and my family.

"It’s the best club I have ever been at. The way they have treated me, and everyone associated with me, has been absolutely amazing.

"I know it’s not ideal timing, but it was an opportunity I couldn’t pass up on.

"We had talked about the option of staying until January and playing until then but we all agreed it was best that we let the club go on.

"I hope the club can do really well and stay in the division as they really deserve it."

St Mirren manager Oran Kearney said: "First and foremost, we’d like to thank Craig for his magnificent service to the club.

"He’s been a great character and an ultimate professional in my time at the club and goes with our best wishes.

"We discussed the option of Craig staying until January, but we feel it is in everyone’s best interests that he takes up his new role with immediate effect."

Everyone at St Mirren would like to thank Craig for all his efforts during his time at the club and wish him all the best in his future.

1 minute ago, Sonny said:

Official now ...

https://www.stmirren.com/news/club/all-news/2339-craig-samson-retires

St Mirren Football Club can confirm that Craig Samson has left the club to take up a role at Sunderland AFC.

Sammy, who has had two spells with Saints, retires after making over 150 appearances for the Buddies between 2010-2013 and 2017-2018.

In his time at St Mirren, Craig won the League Cup, the Ladbrokes Championship and broke the record for consecutive clean sheets at home.

As part of the move, Sunderland have agreed to play a pre-season match against Saints at the Simple Digital Arena in summer 2019.

Craig said: "I’d like to say thank you to the St Mirren fans for the way they’ve treated me and my family.

"It’s the best club I have ever been at. The way they have treated me, and everyone associated with me, has been absolutely amazing.

"I know it’s not ideal timing, but it was an opportunity I couldn’t pass up on.

"We had talked about the option of staying until January and playing until then but we all agreed it was best that we let the club go on.

"I hope the club can do really well and stay in the division as they really deserve it."

St Mirren manager Oran Kearney said: "First and foremost, we’d like to thank Craig for his magnificent service to the club.

"He’s been a great character and an ultimate professional in my time at the club and goes with our best wishes.

"We discussed the option of Craig staying until January, but we feel it is in everyone’s best interests that he takes up his new role with immediate effect."

Everyone at St Mirren would like to thank Craig for all his efforts during his time at the club and wish him all the best in his future.

Honestly, this is a real low point for Scottish football. Top players chucking it at 34 to get a few extra shillings in English League 1 as a goalie coach!

I can only hope Rogers performance against Sunderland has nothing to do with his actual goalkeeping abilities. If that is what we are getting, well are f**ked!

Guest TPAFKATS
Terrible news if true.
Sammy talks up how much he loves St Mirren in the press non-stop......and then jumps ship in the middle of a relegation battle? Wonderful thanks for all the backing he has had that is!
I'm sure the 'backing' he gets from some of the support would've been factored into his decision. Along with the wage increase.

Strange decision but all the best to him. Wonder who we will bring in?

Just now, TPAFKATS said:

I'm sure the 'backing' he gets from some of the support would've been factored into his decision. 

Strange decision but all the best to him. Wonder who we will bring in?

Don't talk nonsense.

Bring in? We can't bring anyone in! Samson signed a contract and quits when we don't have a transfer window to replace him. As Chris Sutton would say, what an absolute snake!

Just now, renfrew bud said:

Shocked and a bit gutted to be honest but we’ll just need to get on with it. He’s had some fantastic saves but some howlers too. But to accept a friendly again as part of the “deal” is wrong. Personally don’t want them back again almost rubbing our noses in it. 

:lol: They won't be back up for a friendly. Nothing friendly about the way Sunderland keep f**king us over!

1 minute ago, renfrew bud said:

Shocked and a bit gutted to be honest but we’ll just need to get on with it. He’s had some fantastic saves but some howlers too. But to accept a friendly again as part of the “deal” is wrong. Personally don’t want them back again almost rubbing our noses in it. 

They'll only be rubbing our noses in it if they score 6 again.

Guest TPAFKATS
So Jack and Jamie got multiple times their salary but Sammy would only get his SMFC salary? Aye, right.
Indeed, he's retiring from football mid season and relocating himself and possibly his family for little or no increase in his salary [emoji23]

Guest TPAFKATS
This is true. As Oaksoft has kindly pointed out they actually had their debt cleared. What they are being is prudent now to avoid nearly going bankrupt again.
My main point is the money should not be an issue - you do not walk away from being St Mirren's number one to being a coach in the middle of the season. Unforgivable if true.
If people can forgive those who murder their loved ones, I'd like to think football fans should be okay with a keeper retiring and leaving to enhance his wage and new career.
You'd think it was Figo moving from barca to real the way some folk are reacting on here.
Or even junior going to dunfermline...

Gutted Sammy is leaving. Been superb for the club over 2 spells. I know there will be few idiots on here who will want to have a moan but the guy is thinking of his future. It's a great opportunity for him and family. Good luck big man

Will miss out chats down at Troon with the dogs. But he will always be a Saints LEGEND.

30 minutes ago, TediousTom said:

Well I did not see this coming

Very, very best of luck to Craig.  Many players come and go and most are less than memorable like thingmie signed by thingmie from thingmie.  Craig Samson will never be a thingmie, he will always be a somebody.

Very best of luck Craig, Sunderland will be very lucky to receive some of that ginger magic

Right we need to sign thon thingmie from thingmie to play in goals!

Well seeing that you are the chief scout and have a replacement lined up. 

Are thingmie looking for a fee for thingmie? 

2 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:

If people can forgive those who murder their loved ones, I'd like to think football fans should be okay with a keeper retiring and leaving to enhance his wage and new career.
You'd think it was Figo moving from barca to real the way some folk are reacting on here.
Or even junior going to dunfermline...

This is worse than Junior going to Dunfermline. That at least happened during a transfer window!

Guest TPAFKATS
Don't talk nonsense.
Bring in? We can't bring anyone in! Samson signed a contract and quits when we don't have a transfer window to replace him. As Chris Sutton would say, what an absolute snake!
We can bring someone in, in January.

Guest TPAFKATS

Good luck big man
Will miss out chats down at Troon with the dogs. But he will always be a Saints LEGEND.

Now we know the real reason he's leaving and also why it's immediate [emoji3]

1 minute ago, TPAFKATS said:
14 minutes ago, Kemp said:
Don't talk nonsense.

We can bring someone in, in January.

Reading Kearney's quote he must have enough confidence in Rogers to see us through until then. Fingers very much f**king crossed.

Don't talk nonsense.

Mate grow up. He’s anything but a snake one of the nicest guys we will ever have at our club.

More important things in life than football.

A better income for him and his family plus also a new start in a future career for him.

What if he knocked it back then we punt him next year as he’s coming towards the end of his career we already have langfield as coach so he could easily end up back in part time football as a coach it’s an absolute no brainier of a decision for him and his family.