Samson to Sunderland

div

It's just football. Given that we could have kept him til January and opted not to, I really don't see what the big deal is. Bear in mind the absolute monstering of the squad that's due to take place in January anyway, every penny saved might help a wee bit.

As for the approach, I'm really not fussed. That's just football. What would really piss me off was if someone unsettled our highly-rated young manager in the summer, decided not to employ him, made a balls-up of their recruitment, then came back in for our manager a couple months later once our season had started. I mean, that'd be really snake-like.

Edited by Magic Monkey

32 minutes ago, shull said:

The facts are

Sammy was given 100% credit for the CLEAN SHEET RUN last Season.

So logically, he must be 100% to blame for the fecking disaster and shambles this Season.

WHY NO CLEAN SHEET RUN OF MANY MATCHES THIS SEASON FOR HIM ?

Was he ? By whom ? 

No facts there , just more waffle.

2 minutes ago, munoz said:

Was he ? By whom ? 

No facts there , just more waffle.

Check last Season's Forum during the Clean Sheet run and Official Website tae.

All down to Sammy and nobody else.

Therefore ............................

5 minutes ago, shull said:

In fairness, I think it's more that goalies don't get a great deal of specific glory - penalty saves, or the occasional assist if you're playing football the Captain Sensible way. They really only measure success by clean sheets, so as part of a successful squad last season, you can see why the whole club would want to give him plaudits for that, even if everyone watching will have known it was as much down to Harry Davis and even our dynamic front three playing a high press as it was down to just one goalie.

6 minutes ago, shull said:

Nope , team effort with Sammy being a very important part of that. 

46 minutes ago, shull said:

The facts are

Sammy was given 100% credit for the CLEAN SHEET RUN last Season.

So logically, he must be 100% to blame for the fecking disaster and shambles this Season.

WHY NO CLEAN SHEET RUN OF MANY MATCHES THIS SEASON FOR HIM ?

He was not 100% credited for the clean sheet run, every playing teammate should take pride in that. You’re mixing that up with the factual record he achieved for clean sheets achieved by a goalkeeper. 

9 hours ago, Big Yards said:

Absolute piece of nonsense the whole thing. Samson has a contract with us and it’s November! Yes he wanted to go but we need him right now and our board aren’t even strong enough to say “no you can wait until January”!

All this “it was in everyone’s interest” is a load of rubbish. How exactly is it in our interest to let our keeper go in November???? Same with all the “it’s an opportunity he couldn’t turn down”. It’s not up to Samson in mid Nov to say yes or no to any other club! 

If Samson was unhappy at us not letting him go until Jan then so be it. He couldn’t expect to walk out in his club when it’s not even a transfer window so we wouldn’t have been doing anything abnormal in telling Sunderland to wait until Jan. instead what we’ve done is the abnormal and absolutely insane in our current position.

Just another example of us getting taken for a bunch of mugs and showing we’re run like amateurs. No other Scottish premier club would have shot themselves in the foot like this.

it also makes me wonder if Kearney has any say on anything going on at the club. First he’s landed with Gus and now this. Just seems to be a puppet figure

Can’t believe more fans aren’t angry about this!!

Or, Kearney wasn't overly impressed with him, and saw this as a good opportunity to get rid of one of our higher earners ?

I really don't get why we have reached 8 pages on this - oh sh*t I'm just adding fuel to the fire................... -_-

Let's put aside this argument about it being in the middle of the season for just a minute - let's just imagine that in his next game he made a fantastic save but in making that save he incurred a multiple fracture of both collar bone and upper arm, probably not just end of season, but end of career.

Do you think if that had occurred he would get offered a coaching position with an English league 1 side currently 2nd in the league, three points behind, with a game in hand and a better goal difference than the leaders  - NO, is the quick and easy answer to that scenario.

Fine, that's not what has happened, he has been offered a coaching position with people he knows and respects, the opportunity exists now, not next month, not next year. So he goes to the  Saint's Manager and discussed with him his predicament and asks what, if any are my long term prospects here?

"Well" answers the Manager, " we already have a goal-keeping coach and given your age and our financial predicament it will be difficult for us to extend your contract right now". "OK" says Sammy, "what in your opinion should I do Boss?" - "if I was in your shoes, I'd probably take it Sammy as these opportunities don't come along too often. Yes you have a contract here, but football is a fickle game and your next game could be your last, so on balance, go for it and you have my support in that respect."

Discussion between OK and Directors - "It's a bit of a bu**ers muddle but I think we have cover until the mid-season window and we can probably extract some compensation and maybe a guaranteed figure plus perhaps a 'friendly'?"

Let's move on and support whoever next is between the sticks. I remember the fiasco when Dick Beattie was exposed for allegedly throwing some matches when playing down south. I thought at the time he was a great goalie and that we were thrown in the mire by that revelation in the middle of a season - but surprise, surprise, there are good goalies just waiting for their chance......................... 

29 minutes ago, barrhead saint said:

Or, Kearney wasn't overly impressed with him, and saw this as a good opportunity to get rid of one of our higher earners ?

In addition, Kearney has walked into a very fragile dressing room, where one wrong move (such as dropping a fans' favourite goalie who is also influential in the dressing room) could easily disrupt things. This way we can get Samson out the door and it's entirely his decision.

I suspect the timing here is actually just fine all round. It really is no big deal.

47 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

He was not 100% credited for the clean sheet run, every playing teammate should take pride in that. You’re mixing that up with the factual record he achieved for clean sheets achieved by a goalkeeper. 

Not mixed up at all. He got all the praise for the Clean Sheet record. 

And during that run , he hardly touched the ball. 

Guest TPAFKATS
I really don't get why we have reached 8 pages on this - oh sh*t I'm just adding fuel to the fire................... [emoji42]
Let's put aside this argument about it being in the middle of the season for just a minute - let's just imagine that in his next game he made a fantastic save but in making that save he incurred a multiple fracture of both collar bone and upper arm, probably not just end of season, but end of career.
Do you think if that had occurred he would get offered a coaching position with an English league 1 side currently 2nd in the league, three points behind, with a game in hand and a better goal difference than the leaders  - NO, is the quick and easy answer to that scenario.
Fine, that's not what has happened, he has been offered a coaching position with people he knows and respects, the opportunity exists now, not next month, not next year. So he goes to the  Saint's Manager and discussed with him his predicament and asks what, if any are my long term prospects here?
"Well" answers the Manager, " we already have a goal-keeping coach and given your age and our financial predicament it will be difficult for us to extend your contract right now". "OK" says Sammy, "what in your opinion should I do Boss?" - "if I was in your shoes, I'd probably take it Sammy as these opportunities don't come along too often. Yes you have a contract here, but football is a fickle game and your next game could be your last, so on balance, go for it and you have my support in that respect."
Discussion between OK and Directors - "It's a bit of a bu**ers muddle but I think we have cover until the mid-season window and we can probably extract some compensation and maybe a guaranteed figure plus perhaps a 'friendly'?"
Let's move on and support whoever next is between the sticks. I remember the fiasco when Dick Beattie was exposed for allegedly throwing some matches when playing down south. I thought at the time he was a great goalie and that we were thrown in the mire by that revelation in the middle of a season - but surprise, surprise, there are good goalies just waiting for their chance......................... 
This Dick Beattie you speak of, is he any good and is he available?

1 minute ago, TPAFKATS said:
11 minutes ago, The Original 59er said:
I really don't get why we have reached 8 pages on this - oh sh*t I'm just adding fuel to the fire................... emoji42.png

You're looking for good Dick? :o

5 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:
14 minutes ago, The Original 59er said:

Read here: http://www.thecelticwiki.com/page/The+Fix+-+The+Sad+Demise+of+Dick+Beattie not pretty reading and as I said, your next game could be your last..................

To the posters who keep insisting/hoping that  our astute board have secured compensation for Sammy going. Quite simply they haven't..!

because that would make it a transfer, and since its outside the transfer window, that would make it illegal, and leave both clubs open to serious and far reaching punishment.

the compo is the now seemingly ritual tanking by Ross's second eleven in the summer. Which could still be termed, and investigated by the footbaling authorities as "an inducement". I think both clubs are skating on thin ice if Sunderland were ever tempted before season end to through Sammy in at any level for their club in an injury/ suspension crisis.

16 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

As long as you stop spreading muck!

Oh dear.  Got out of the wrong side of bed today? 

I was responding to a post on the forum. 

The figure, I suggested,  should be 3 million.. For which sum Jack can take Kyle to Sunderland. 

Do pay attention rather than merely allow bile to spout forth.