Samson to Sunderland

div

10 minutes ago, barrhead saint said:

I know he is attention seeking,  but not everyone thought Samson was the best keeper we ever had.

Not too many 'legends' suddenly retire when they have over a year and a half of their contract left.

I never said he was. I wouldn’t rate him in my top st Mirren keepers I’ve seen. He has been a good signing though, contrary to what Shull would say. 

Not many people have been put in the position but do I think keepers like Money, Combe, Ludo at the age of 34 would have been tempted by such offers from a club the size of Sunderland? Absolutely. 

21 minutes ago, barrhead saint said:

I know he is attention seeking,  but not everyone thought Samson was the best keeper we ever had.

Not too many 'legends' suddenly retire when they have over a year and a half of their contract left.

I dont think Sammy was anywhere near the best keeper we ever had but he was certainly wasnt as bad as some would have you believe. 

A very good keeper for Saints. Over 130 appearances, League cup winner, Championship winner, Penalty saver extraordinaire, home clean sheet record holder  & thoroughly decent guy.  Whats not to like ? 

5 minutes ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

I dont think Sammy was anywhere near the best keeper we ever had but he was certainly wasnt as bad as some would have you believe. 

A very good keeper for Saints. Over 130 appearances, League cup winner, Championship winner, Penalty saver extraordinaire, home clean sheet record holder  & thoroughly decent guy.  Whats not to like ? 

Correct.

As for retiring now: The guy is moving up in salary and, at a guess, perhaps also length of contract. Inconvenient for us of course. I thank him for his service and accomplishments here and wish him well.

9 minutes ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

If you were to list a top 10 of Saints' keepers, I think Sammy would be in there. The exact position difficult to say, but you can judge for yourself. I don't think I've left anyone out that is obvious, but my failing memory might be playing tricks on me! :wacko: Obviously I can only comment on the keepers that I've seen!

Here's my attempt at a top 10:

1. Campbell Money

2. Denis Connaghan

3. Billy Thompson

4. Campbell Forsyth

5. Ally Hunter

6. Jim Herriot

7. Craig Samson

8. Gordon Marshall

9. Ludovic Roy

10. Pat Liney

1 hour ago, The Original 59er said:

If you were to list a top 10 of Saints' keepers, I think Sammy would be in there. The exact position difficult to say, but you can judge for yourself. I don't think I've left anyone out that is obvious, but my failing memory might be playing tricks on me! :wacko: Obviously I can only comment on the keepers that I've seen!

1. Campbell Money

2. Denis Connaghan

3. Billy Thompson

4. Campbell Forsyth

5. Ally Hunter

6. Jim Herriot

7. Craig Samson

8. Gordon Marshall

9. Ludovic Roy

10. Pat Liney

Gordon Marshall? Didn’t he only play one game for us, at home, and we lost? 

19 hours ago, The Original 59er said:

1. Campbell Money

2. Denis Connaghan

3. Billy Thompson

4. Campbell Forsyth

5. Ally Hunter

6. Jim Herriot

7. Craig Samson

8. Gordon Marshall

9. Ludovic Roy

10. Pat Liney

I'd probably have Craig Hinchcliffe ahead of 2 or 3 of those on your list.

What about Dave Walker,  Scottish Cup winner or

colourful Jimmy Brown etc etc and back to subject Samson correct to

accept what in his judgement will improve his standard of living. As any

sensible person would. Forget having a " contract" .  As we  continue to read

football is different from any other business and that is certainly true when it comes

to contracts. Clubs continually sell players before the players contracts are 

completed.

4 hours ago, Kemp said:

Usual pie in the sky nonsense.

Samson is one of the all-time greats, and Danny Rogers is going to play for Scotland :lol:

4 hours ago, munoz said:

Rodgers already has 9 U 21 caps ( not for Scotland).

2 hours ago, aldo_j said:

He’s featured in squads for ROI...

Where exactly does Fitzy mention playing for Scotland. He mentions international call up but makes no reference to Scotland specifically.

Where exactly does Fitzy mention playing for Scotland. He mentions international call up but makes no reference to Scotland specifically.

What ? You mean ..... Someone on here was talking SHITE !?! Surely not ?
I would hope the individual concerned had the good grace to admit he’d made a James hunt of it .

On 11/17/2018 at 2:05 PM, hamlet said:

What about Dave Walker,  Scottish Cup winner or

colourful Jimmy Brown etc etc and back to subject Samson correct to

accept what in his judgement will improve his standard of living. As any

sensible person would. Forget having a " contract" .  As we  continue to read

football is different from any other business and that is certainly true when it comes

to contracts. Clubs continually sell players before the players contracts are 

completed.

Very true.  The "loyalty " card works both ways... Or... Rather.. It doesn't. 

Tough business.  

7 hours ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

What ? You mean ..... Someone on here was talking SHITE !?! Surely not ?
I would hope the individual concerned had the good grace to admit he’d made a James hunt of it .

Indeed I do :lol:

Ireland are pish, Fitzy makes a good point. He'll be a full international in no time.

On 11/16/2018 at 6:34 PM, aldo_j said:

Gordon Marshall? Didn’t he only play one game for us, at home, and we lost? 

Well at least he still played for us and I saw him, albeit, briefly!:rolleyes:

On 11/17/2018 at 1:01 PM, elvis said:

Jim Thorburn

He lived round the corner from us and turned up at the scout fete in Barshaw park playing in goals in a 'Beat the Goalie' competition.

He was quite good, I wondered whether he should be in my top ten, but then decided not to. Likeable bloke though.

28 minutes ago, The Original 59er said:

Well at least he still played for us and I saw him, albeit, briefly!:rolleyes:

He lived round the corner from us and turned up at the scout fete in Barshaw park playing in goals in a 'Beat the Goalie' competition.

He was quite good, I wondered whether he should be in my top ten, but then decided not to. Likeable bloke though.

He's still on the go and is a member at Ralston Golf Club.