Samson to Sunderland

div

Yes, the advantages for Craig Samson are clear.
The complete lack of respect Jack Ross and Samson have for St Mirren is also clear.
This could have been done at the end of the season.
His family aint going to strave. Have some honour and see through your contract.
This really shows what a bad influence on society having all that easy money in English football is. Remove the greed factor and nobody would ever retire from playing Premier League football mid-season to take up a goalie coach position!
It's all down to money. I accept it - I don't need to like it.

Far from a lack of respect they have a family to provide for and a job to do.

It couldn’t have been done at end of the season Sunderland need a gk coach as they have just lost their current one to Ipswich they spoke with the club about holding it off till January but ST MIRREN decided it was best for all if he made the immediate move.

Not about his family starving it’s about providing the best possible life and future for them.

Money is in every walk of life not just football.

No one said you need to like it, I don’t but you need to accept it maybe just no be as bitter about it.

Accept the good he’s done for the club and wish him all the best.

Football goes on I’m pretty sure you wouldn’t care if we were to punt him for a better gk in January or even the summer it works both ways.

Let's think about this...................... if you are offered a contract by Sunderland for a period that is say double or treble the period you have with Saints and you are now going to teach as opposed to be in the firing line, and you are getting paid more for the task, which option might you go for? :unsure:

In spite of him saying "he had unfinished business at Saints" when he returned, we can probably allow last year's promotion as payback for that statement. This year though he sees that maybe the pressures of playing at Premier level again and having a limited length of contract is a sign that he is nearing the end of being in the firing line.

Given my first paragraph, and logic, it really is a no brainer - Good luck Sammy.

I sat behind you in the League Cup Semi-Final in the Celtic end (don't ask) and watched you save the penalty and deny Ceptic the opportunity to win their umpteenth League Cup, but you certainly helped us win our first, so thank you. 

I wish Sammy all the very best, he’s been a great servant to the club & will always be considered as a club legend.

The timing however is f**king bizarre. Never heard anything like this....You’re number 1 goalkeeper retiring out the blue leaving us in the lurch during an already shambolic season. [emoji849]

3 minutes ago, Stevie88 said:

I wish Sammy all the very best, he’s been a great servant to the club & will always be considered as a club legend.

The timing however is f**king bizarre. Never heard anything like this....You’re number 1 goalkeeper retiring out the blue leaving us in the lurch during an already shambolic season. emoji849.png

Drastic times call for drastic measures .  .   .

Reminds of the season Ludovic Roy went to St Johnstone in a strange move and we ended up signing John Hillcoat as his replacement.

Hillcoat was nowhere near as good as Ludo but did an adequate job.

Can we not offload Ryan Flynn, Ian McShane, Danny Mullan, Paul McGinn, Ryan Edwards etc to Sunderland that would reeeaaaaallllly help us out Mr Ross. 

2 hours ago, Sonny said:

Official now ...

In his time at St Mirren, Craig won the League Cup, the Ladbrokes Championship and broke the record for consecutive clean sheets at home.

If that was such a great achievement of his, why very few clean sheets this Season ?

Opposition players dinnae scud the ball any harder this Year.

Didn't see this coming.  A new and imaginative way to leave while under contract and when transfer windows close. Football is indeed a funny old game. We will certainly miss Samson.  Solid goalie (low angled shots from distance apart). More importantly, really vocal and always organising the defence. I wasn't at all impressed with Danny Rogers in the limited game time he has had with us. Is he even fit? A tough season just got a whole lot tougher. Oran must be wondering what the hell he has let himself in for.  

Edited by magnus

14 minutes ago, magnus said:

Didn't see this coming.  A new and imaginative way to leave while under contract and when transfer windows close. Football is indeed a funny old game. We will certainly miss Samson.  Solid goalie (low angled shots from distance apart). More importantly, really vocal and always organising the defence. I wasn't at all impressed with Danny Rogers in the limited game time he has had with us. Is he even fit? A tough season just got a whole lot tougher. Oran must be wondering what the hell he has let himself in for.  

Oran seems to have been in favour of him going now rather than in January. 

3 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

Odd that. Not sure what to make of it. Back up goalie doing well (hopefully) or maybe Oran is so hacked off he feels Sammy should just go immediately. Or, let's just ride this shitfest out until January as it can't really get worse. I have no doubt,  it will be what Oran feels is best for the Club in a pretty shitty situation. The timing just sucks. Hope Oran knows yoga or meditation or something as his heid must be nipping.

5 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

If Saints had knocked Sammy back to go just now he would have been VERY unhappy.You can't have unhappy players in your team.

It all seems a bit strange to me with Sammy "retiring".Obviously I don't know the details of the deal but if all we are getting is a friendly then we've been shafted.

Good luck to Sammy in the future,he's more than done a job for us.

12 minutes ago, HSS said:

If Saints had knocked Sammy back to go just now he would have been VERY unhappy.You can't have unhappy players in your team.

It all seems a bit strange to me with Sammy "retiring".Obviously I don't know the details of the deal but if all we are getting is a friendly then we've been shafted.

Good luck to Sammy in the future,he's more than done a job for us.

Retirement ties up a lot of loose ends and make things easier to leave now.

We may however hold on to his registration papers in lieu of a comeback.

The timing however is f**king bizarre. Never heard anything like this....You’re number 1 goalkeeper retiring out the blue leaving us in the lurch during an already shambolic season. [emoji849]

What he said.

6 hours ago, Kemp said:

JR is the manager, that's a different job.

Sunderland are heavily in debt. He is going from 1st choice goalkeeper and one of the most senior members of the team to playing shoot the goalie and helping carry the kit. Doubt he will get much more.

Will he be paid less than what the Sunderland academy players get then (which will dwarf what our first team are on)? 

Are we Saints fans still expected to pay into yet another pre-season so called glamour friendly with Sunderland???

So in fact we've paid for Sammy's compensation deal, sounds like yet another crackpot scheme from our illustrious board. 

Jack Ross should be dipping into his well lined pockets to pay for all of us to attend this dross, even then I'd probably find a better way to spend my time.

We've had a few better keepers in my time as a St Mirren fan: Billy Thomson and Campbell Money and that's about it. I like Samson he's the kind of keeper who bounces back after making the occasional howler and doesn't let his head drop and crumple! I think he was well regarded by all his St Mirren managers and team mates and obviously was seen as a good team player on and off the pitch. I'm sad he's gone at this point of the season and in these circumstances. I'd imagine he's at a stage where he had a few years left anywhere between the Scottish premiership and  Scottish League 1 before looking at getting into coaching and now he has been given the opportunity earlier than expected with a manager and assistant who rate him highly and know him well, on more money and with more job security.

Here's hoping Danny Rogers does well.

5 minutes ago, alshboy said:

Are we Saints fans still expected to pay into yet another pre-season so called glamour friendly with Sunderland???

So in fact we've paid for Sammy's compensation deal, sounds like yet another crackpot scheme from our illustrious board. 

Jack Ross should be dipping into his well lined pockets to pay for all of us to attend this dross, even then I'd probably find a better way to spend my time.

Hopefully the board will have encouraged Jack to do us a few favours in return come the January window - whether thats getting some Sunderland players in on loan or recommending players who could do us a good turn in our hour of need.

1 minute ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

Hopefully the board will have encouraged Jack to do us a few favours in return come the January window - whether thats getting some Sunderland players in on loan or recommending players who could do us a good turn in our hour of need.

That's a very good point. Hopefully JR now has a decent knowledge of English lower league football and might be able to tip Gus and OK off about players who might be available.

4 minutes ago, alshboy said:

You couldn’t pay me to watch another 6-0 hammering from Sunderland. As for Samson, always good at spot kicks, not so good at crosses. I can see why he took the opportunity so best of luck. It does however create a feeling around the club of sinking ships etc. Terrible for morale and creating the kind of mentality that would be needed to avoid relegation. 

4 minutes ago, ALBIONSAINT said:

You couldn’t pay me to watch another 6-0 hammering from Sunderland. As for Samson, always good at spot kicks, not so good at crosses. I can see why he took the opportunity so best of luck. It does however create a feeling around the club of sinking ships etc. Terrible for morale and creating the kind of mentality that would be needed to avoid relegation. 

Like i said before i think Magennis will be off in January as the club look to cash in on a decent fee given he's still got a couple of years or so on his contract.

14 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Like i said before i think Magennis will be off in January as the club look to cash in on a decent fee given he's still got a couple of years or so on his contract.

I'm not so sure.  It would take a lot more than the 250000 mentioned. 

Edited by St.Ricky

Absolute piece of nonsense the whole thing. Samson has a contract with us and it’s November! Yes he wanted to go but we need him right now and our board aren’t even strong enough to say “no you can wait until January”!

All this “it was in everyone’s interest” is a load of rubbish. How exactly is it in our interest to let our keeper go in November???? Same with all the “it’s an opportunity he couldn’t turn down”. It’s not up to Samson in mid Nov to say yes or no to any other club! 

If Samson was unhappy at us not letting him go until Jan then so be it. He couldn’t expect to walk out in his club when it’s not even a transfer window so we wouldn’t have been doing anything abnormal in telling Sunderland to wait until Jan. instead what we’ve done is the abnormal and absolutely insane in our current position.

Just another example of us getting taken for a bunch of mugs and showing we’re run like amateurs. No other Scottish premier club would have shot themselves in the foot like this.

it also makes me wonder if Kearney has any say on anything going on at the club. First he’s landed with Gus and now this. Just seems to be a puppet figure

Can’t believe more fans aren’t angry about this!!

Edited by Big Yards