Saints v Hibs, 27th January 2019

1 hour ago, oaksoft said:

Every game from now on has to be treated as must win because if we lose again and Dundee and Hamilton win, we'll be completely cut adrift.

It's time for the players to step up now.

I get your logic but realistically every game is not a must win. If we take anything from the ugly sisters, Aberdeen or Killie it will be an unexpected bonus. It is possible, but not highly likely.

It's actually time right now for the squad to be built up to equip us for the rest of the season. At the moment we are thin on the ground and have a number of injuries.

Hopefully both these issues will be sorted relatively soon and equally hopefully the other 3 teams around us will get their share of guys on the treatment table for weeks on end too.

The Hibs game is a very real chance for 3 points. They have some good players, but are not kicking on like most people would have expected. They have lost Porteous to injury again and they are not scoring too many goals recently either. Will we be ready or play well enough? We will soon see. The stakes are high and what a boost to everyone at St. Mirren that would be and at the same time possibly rising above Dee and Hamilton in the league... morale rising indeed! 

St. Mirren     2    v   1    Hibs      Lyons and Jackson to score - Saints fans to down a few pints in celebration !  :happyclapper

Injuries / suspensions / unavailable

St Mirren: Danny Rogers (knee), Danny Mullen (foot), Gary MacKenzie (achilles), Kyle Magennis (hamstring) Lee Hodson and Jim Kellerman  (hamstring)

Hibs: Thomas Agyepong (hamstring), Adam Bogdan (concussion), Martin Boyle (knee), Ryan Porteous (knee), Lewis Stevenson (hamstring), Jamie Maclaren, Mark Milligan (both international duty).

Hope they miss their injured players more than we miss ours . . . :cheers

Edinburgh Evening Times

Hibs have become about as reliable as Scotrail in recent months with a real unpredictably about when they are and aren’t going to show up. It’s unlikely to get much better this weekend, but our online team have a crack at it anyway. Join our Facebook group Our Edinburgh to share images and news from and around the Capital Lewis Stevenson flies over the top of Cammy Macpherson as Hibs defeated St Mirren earlier in the campaign. Picture: SNS Joel Sked:

The good news for Hibs is that they have been to Paisley and won already this season. The bad news is that they were in a different place back then. The Hibees have only won on the road against the bottom three in what is turning into a trying season for the Easter Road side.

Neil Lennon’s propensity to tinker has frustrated some sections of the support but he has not been helped with availability and is hampered by injury issues once more. He will have to go back to the drawing board to devise an XI. Hibs fans can take comfort with the fact that they have more quality than St Mirren.

If they can match the Buddies in the battle they will prevail. Narrow Hibs win. Patrick McPartlin: I don’t have a brilliant record in terms of Hibs predictions this season, possibly because the Easter Road side have been a bit Jekyll but mostly Hyde since the end of October. St Mirren just squeezed past Alloa in the Scottish Cup last weekend but the outcome of this one will depend on which Hibs team turns up.

Neil Lennon’s side have enough about them to pick up the three points but after a miserable night against Motherwell in midweek, it may be another frustrating 90 minutes for the Capital club. Prediction: Draw Mark Atkinson: For me, this is a critical match in Neil Lennon’s tenure as Hibs head coach. Up against the league’s bottom club, Hibs have to take all three points if they are serious about challenging for the top six.

A defeat would turn the heat up on Lennon as there are murmurings of discontent from the Easter Road support after a concerning defeat away at Motherwell. However, this game has got draw written all over it for me. St Mirren will want it badly but won’t have enough quality to get the win, while Hibs have enough in albeit misfiring armoury to at least get on the scoresheet against one of the worst defences in the league.

Craig Fowler: If everything is all right at Easter Road behind the scenes then I still fancy them to get the three points here, in spite of recent form. Dundee, Hamilton and St Mirren have all behind utterly dreadful in the league this season, with the best of those three on course to muster up a measly 24 points across the entire campaign. And while there’s signs of life from the former, I’ve yet to see anything which suggests St Mirren are going to right the ship. I know the hosts got a draw the last time the teams played, but that was helped in part by a player scoring from 55 yards. A player who is no longer at St Mirren, I may add. Prediction: Hibs win

Anthony Brown: Both sides appear equally beleaguered ahead of this Paisley contest. St Mirren look like clear relegation candidates, while Hibs have been displaying the form of relegation candidates since October. For all their struggles, though, the Easter Road side still have a significantly better pool of players than their hosts. Captain David Gray is pushing for a first start since early October and his on-field presence generally makes Hibs a stronger proposition. If at least a couple of Florian Kamberi, Ryan Gauld, Daryl Horgan and Stevie Mallan are on form, Hibs should be capable of taking the points back to Edinburgh. Hibs win Neil McGlade: Victory of Elgin City was expected, the loss at Motherwell on Wednesday night wasn’t. The importance of this weekend’s trip to Paisley cannot be underestimated for both club and manager. Hibs’ chances of making the top six hang in the balance so anything other than three points, I feel, would put paid to that for this season. Hibs must start with two strikers against the worst defence in the league. Saints will scrap for everything but I expect a response from the Easter Road outfit. Hibs win.

Read more at: https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/a-defeat-would-turn-the-heat-up-journalists-predictions-for-st-mirren-v-hibs-1-4862498

Edited by St.Ricky

7 hours ago, DougJamie said:

With Accies at Celtic this for me is the most crucial game of the season. We could even go 10th. Hibs are no mugs but obviously inconsistent. Same as 2017 please. 2-0. We need a Stellios to step up....

Opportunity knocks... I like the positivity.

1 minute ago, St.Ricky said:

Opportunity knocks... I like the positivity.

We really need this much more than they do . . .  I hope our heads are up and we get right into them from the off - and for the full 90 minutes.

We need to contain their best players especially  Mallan, Kamberi, Horgan, Shaw, Gray and Gauld.

We need our guys to hit the target - Jackson, Lyon, MacAllister,  Cooke and maybe a CB at a set piece or a McGinn.

No FEAR, hard team working, making things happen, getting the right breaks -   3 points please :spud7

17 minutes ago, Hendo said:

Suspended makes you think he's done something naughty and they're investigating. If it was just because of results surely they'd just have sacked him?

I reckon this. It’s in his personality after all, wouldn’t surprise me if he’s had a bust up with someone on the training ground.

Just now, Cornwall_Saint said:

I reckon this. It’s in his personality after all, wouldn’t surprise me if he’s had a bust up with someone on the training ground.

Passionate, determined,professional but blows his top occasionally

BBC announced he wouldn't be in the dug out. Updated it to he has left the club and back peddled to the equivalent of the report by the Sun.

Strange.

1 minute ago, Hendo said:

They should move quickly and get Stubbs back before someone else snaps him up.

Jeff King and Cole Kpekawa haven’t found clubs yet either. If Hibs are really quick to get Stubbs in he could bring those two in before they get snapped up by all those clubs clamouring for their signatures.