Saints v Hibs, 27th January 2019

Young team? [emoji38] Watched the game in work
He has been absolutely honking and gets almost zero criticism 
Go back and watch our highlights from this season, count the amount of times you see a player stroll past him and either score, or set up a scoring opportunity
Doesn't tackle, doesn't track back. Needs Magennis next to him to do the dirty work or he gets found out. Tansey not doing any of that so it's a major problem area. Do you not wonder why we keep losing the middle of the park, especially in the second half? When it gets tough, our captain gives up. Needs dropped, or a rocket up his arse 
Doesn't tackle!! Lol. He's the only one that does!!
One man midfield.who is constantly targeted by the opposition as they know he's pivotal.

10 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

S McGinn, Lyons and Hand Dryer posted missing in the second half. The captain needs dropping, he just isnt there when he needs to be. The keeper had three dodgy games now, new centre back not pulling his weight at all.

The game must appear different when watching it on the TV ? I thought Lyons & McGinn were actually grafting hard today. While I didn’t really expect the new signings to be up to speed yet considering they have never played in Scotland. Anyway just back home from the game, trying to defrost my knees. 

Anyhoo, plus points: we created chances, we look a lot sharper and quicker in the final third. We aren’t any further behind or main competitors ( Dundee, Hamilton) 

Not so good points: individual errors still evident (p.mcginn) 

overal we look better than before the window, however need a big centre forward, Jackson was actually doing pretty well today at bringing the ball down and holding it. We should have known Hibs were going to win today, no manager, hadn’t won in 5 games, that’s where we always help out it’s the stmirren way, we will probably win 1-0 at ibrox! 

4 minutes ago, ScotstounSaint said:

One man midfield.who is constantly targeted by the opposition as they know he's pivotal.

Yeah then after a 50-50 disappears back into his shell for the rest of the game. Used to be a big fan of him but this season he has been terrible, don't understand why everyone is so quick to defend him from any criticism.. 

The only time I've seen him play anywhere near his best this season is when Hodson was helping him out. He needs someone to do the dirty work or he doesn't want to know. Watch him the next few games, you'll notice a pattern 

4 minutes ago, ScotstounSaint said:

I wouldn’t bother, seems like the kind of person that bases opinions off playing Championship Manager in his spare time.

The Captain is the only midfielder we’ve had this season who puts in a tackle as you said. Clearly some expect him to be running around like some sort of superhero tracking every runner, whilst being a playmaker at the same time. I said we’d notice something horrifying when he wasn’t playing, this came to fruition at Dens in November.

we need a proper defensive midfielder to play alongside McGinn. That is not his game but he is having to try to do that role as well as trying to drive us forward. Tansey doesn't look like the solution to me. We only see the best of Stephen when we have that role properly covered. Lyons looks promising but the Dane was totally anonymous. Games running out especially against bottom aux teams at home. Whole game changed on that minute in the second half. Fine margins at this level but we always seem to be just on the we wrong side of that fine line.

Fact is despite all our misgivings today we know very much where improvements are required.Hopefully it is a busy week on the transfer front.Fact is however Hibs should have been down to 10 just after the break Gray’s ridiculous challenge on McAllister was worthy of a second yellow but alas the Ref bottled it.Is Ferdinand fit? And if he is surely he should start.

1 minute ago, W6Saint said:

I wouldn’t bother, seems like the kind of person that bases opinions off playing Championship Manager in his spare time.

The Captain is the only midfielder we’ve had this season who puts in a tackle as you said. Clearly some expect him to be running around like some sort of superhero tracking every runner, whilst being a playmaker at the same time. I said we’d notice something horrifying when he wasn’t playing, this came to fruition at Dens in November.

Agree with this. I do think him and Tansey are similar in style of play and need a hard ball winner in there, i wonder if Lyons could do this? If we do that and bring Ferdinand back we might have a chance. Bizarre that our best defender can't get on the park, even when they go to a front two so going three at the back would be sensible.

I did think we looked much improved today. Kyle in a few weeks time will bury opportunities like he had today. However hibs changed formation and I think OK did not alter our shape to counter. I like our manager think he looks enthusiastic however maybe step up to st mirren to much. Maybe a good number 2. I would have preferred Jim Goodwin and anyone not at game and listening to radio will know he is tactical minded and said OK did not change shape. This does not mean I am shouting for OK's head I just  hope before he quits his teaching job at the end of his year sabbatical he gives it a lot of thought. And the fans who berated Mallan all day should be ashamed. He was at the club from age 5 till 22 he went down south then hibs the names he was being called were disgusting. 

I still thing spl leaders should make it a 16 team league. I am fed up playing same teams every 9 weeks. Would be a lot more interesting 

Edited by fan4ever

2 minutes ago, Mid Calder Saint said:

Fact is despite all our misgivings today we know very much where improvements are required.Hopefully it is a busy week on the transfer front.Fact is however Hibs should have been down to 10 just after the break Gray’s ridiculous challenge on McAllister was worthy of a second yellow but alas the Ref bottled it.Is Ferdinand fit? And if he is surely he should start.

Whilst i agree we lost 2nd half 3 nil to a managerless team who had never won from a losing position. Lets be honest normally losing 17 out of 23 games we would already be looking out the sun cream for Arbroath next season....

8 minutes ago, W6Saint said:

Where's the need to be rude?

I don't expect him to be a superhero, but I do expect him to track back when a player literally jogs past him with the ball, which has happened on several occasions this season. 

Agree with whoever it was above that said to try Lyons in beside him rather than Tansey, that could work. It's really not working though, and I'm 100% sure it's that part of the team that are losing us games. That's a few times now we've started well but ultimately lost the midfield

2 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

Whilst i agree we lost 2nd half 3 nil to a managerless team who had never won from a losing position. Lets be honest normally losing 17 out of 23 games we would already be looking out the sun cream for Arbroath next season....

Have to agree, I think our only saving grace will be if we beat both Dundee and Hamilton in our remaining games. 

we did well up until HT. Sad fact is that there were no bad players out there and no real stand-out bad performances.

I think the defeat was down to poor management and a lack of coaching.  I'm glad OK has the option to go back to his former career as he simply ain't in charge at SMFC and probably never will be.  Very few people get a shot at their dream job with the option of going back to what they do well if they fail.  We should never have taken a manager who came to us on a career break.  it shows a lack of committment both on his part and on the chairman's 

We ARE marginally better than under Stubbs, but not by a hell of a lot. Time to release any high earners we still can and plan for the next life in a lower division.

There really is nothing to stop us going down this year.  A sad and thoroughly avoidable fact

Edited by beyond our ken

1 minute ago, ALBIONSAINT said:

Have to agree, I think our only saving grace will be if we beat both Dundee and Hamilton in our remaining games. 

Ok thats 4 games max taking us to 24 pts. That wont keep us up. Today i saw some good play Jackson played well but he would thrive off a big CF. I really hope thats on its way

1 minute ago, beyond our ken said:

we did well up until HT. Sad fact is that there were no bad players out there and no real stand-out bad performances.

I think the defeat was down to poor management and a alck of coaching.  I'm glad OK has the option to go back to his former career as he simply ain't in charge at SMFC and probably never will be.  Very few people get a shot at their dream job with the option of going back to what they do well ifthey fail.  We should never have taken a manager who came to us on a career break.  it shows a lack of committment both on his art and on te chairman's 

We ARE marginally better than under Stubbs, but not by a hell of a lot. Time to release any high earners we still can and plan for the next life in a lower division.

There really is nothing to stop us going down this year.  A sad and thoroughly avoidable fact

I think we have to be fair to OK. We can't afford any of those Hibs players. All are on way more money than we can pay. Hibs have a bigger budget and have better players. Thats the real difference not the coach.

1 minute ago, DougJamie said:

Ok thats 4 games max taking us to 24 pts. That wont keep us up. Today i saw some good play Jackson played well but he would thrive off a big CF. I really hope thats on its way

I was assuming that both Dundee & Hamilton wouldn’t win anymore games , clutching straws, I know :(

1 hour ago, Deekthebuddie said:

I'm not at the game, but from what I can see on the coverage, this performance ranks among the worst I've seen this season.  The defence is inept and close to pointless, we can pass to save ourselves and the few chances we have had, have been squandered.  If we keep this up, I doubt we could get another win this season and relegation seems almost a certainty.  Now it's time for a dram

It shows that you were not at the game.

The defence generally played well. OK Erhanon was missing a couple of times. But it was the midfield and Jackson who lost markers for all the goals.

It is like we are not fit enough. We play for 45 or 60 minutes then switch off. Hibs were always going to come back at us, but the new team are not up to full fitness yet.

Dreyer vanished for much of the match, Lyons and Jackson were superb in the 1st 45 but where did they go after that? I know they still contributed, but it was a good chunk less.

We also did not have much in the way of options on the bench, so it is no surprise Hibs gained strength as the game went on.

We will get better though - keep the faith .  . . . :ninja

2 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

What is all the talk of this career sabbatical? 

We have given the guy a 3 year contract. 

he also has the option to return to his old job, which was not something that saint mirren negotiated on his behalf.  We did indeed give him that contract and his old employers have also given him the chance to go back.  If he has rejected that option, moved himself and his family to the Paisley area and staked his future on his employment with us then I'd take my comment back

2 minutes ago, beyond our ken said:

he also has the option to return to his old job, which was not something that saint mirren negotiated on his behalf.  We did indeed give him that contract and his old employers have also given him the chance to go back.  If he has rejected that option, moved himself and his family to the Paisley area and staked his future on his employment with us then I'd take my comment back

Maybe He is waiting to see how Brexit pans out?:P

1 hour ago, Lord Pityme said:

S McGinn, Lyons and Hand Dryer posted missing in the second half. The captain needs dropping, he just isnt there when he needs to be. The keeper had three dodgy games now, new centre back not pulling his weight at all.

I realise you are a sad troll but saying the new centre back is not pulling his weight when he didn't lose a header or tackle the whole game makes you look a bigger knob than normal.:D